PDA

View Full Version : Did Del Mar Try to Intimidate a Reporter for the North County Times?

andymays
09-13-2009, 11:55 AM
On the Roger Stein show this morning they cover a lot of stuff about Del Mar. I hope everyone takes the time to listen because they cover a lot of crazy stuff that's been going on. It backs up a lot of stuff I've been posting! ;)

Roger interviews Jeff Nahill from the North County Times and he tells a story about how Del Mar mangements tried to get him to alter his reporting on Del Mar. They even threatened to stop selling the North County Times at the Track.

Outstanding show! The archived show for today (9-13) should be up at about 10:00 AM PST

http://www.rogerstein.com/radio/archive2.asp

andymays
09-13-2009, 12:21 PM
If anyone here supports Jeff and his honest reporting send him an email and let him know. Don't back off Jeff! :ThmbUp:

JNahill@nctimes.com

Contact the North County Times and let the Editor know as well!

http://www.nctimes.com/app/forms/letters/index.php

P.S. Sorry about using the word "stuff" so much in the lead. Now that I look at it! :bang:

rwwupl
09-13-2009, 06:32 PM
The "SPIN" coming from Del Mar is overbearing and inaccurate and sometimes insulting to your intellect.

If you are not on thier bandwagon they have ways of trying to make you regret it.

Listen to the show, Del Mar for the first time in 15 years is not an advertiser.

Find out why, and more

See link in above post

andymays
09-13-2009, 06:34 PM
The "SPIN" coming from Del Mar is overbearing and inaccurate and sometimes insulting to your intellect.

If you are not on thier bandwagon they have ways of trying to make you regret it.

Listen to the show, Del Mar for the first time in 15 years is not an advertiser.

Find out why, and more

See link in above post

For whatever reason the archived show isn't up yet. I emailed them a while ago and it's still not up. Conspiracy? :D

Imriledup
09-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Shhhh, keep this quiet, lets keep it under the rug.

andymays
09-15-2009, 11:28 AM
On the Roger Stein show this morning they cover a lot of stuff about Del Mar. I hope everyone takes the time to listen because they cover a lot of crazy stuff that's been going on. It backs up a lot of stuff I've been posting! ;)

Roger interviews Jeff Nahill from the North County Times and he tells a story about how Del Mar mangements tried to get him to alter his reporting on Del Mar. They even threatened to stop selling the North County Times at the Track.

Outstanding show! The archived show for today (9-13) should be up at about 10:00 AM PST

The archived show for 9-13 is finally up! :ThmbUp:

It's worth a listen to say the least.

DJofSD
09-15-2009, 01:06 PM
The specifics that Roger mentions that would prevent BC Ltd from bringing the BC to DMR are the same ones that Joe Harper told me, in person, face to face, about twenty years ago -- no sh*t, 20 years ago. Nothing has changed and never will, so, don't hold your breathe thinking maybe some day the BC will be held here. No way, Jose.

andymays
09-15-2009, 02:07 PM
The specifics that Roger mentions that would prevent BC Ltd from bringing the BC to DMR are the same ones that Joe Harper told me, in person, face to face, about twenty years ago -- no sh*t, 20 years ago. Nothing has changed and never will, so, don't hold your breathe thinking maybe some day the BC will be held here. No way, Jose.

Joe Harper was blowing smoke as is his pattern over the last few years. Spin, spin, and then spin a little more! :ThmbDown:

rrbauer
09-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Now that the DMTC has received a 1-Yr extension of it's operating contract the complete financials and other stats for the 2009 meet should be out any day now. If there was any motivation to suppress any negatives while the contract-award decision was pending that contigency is removed.

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/del-mar/article_6b88cfb6-8ccc-5057-9264-99d88dfdee0f.html

DJofSD
09-15-2009, 04:55 PM
I just hope the state doesn't screw up DMTC and the track operations and management the way that Old Town got screwed up when they did not renew Diane Powers contract and brought in Delaware North. Big mistake as far as I'm concerned.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/mar/29/lz1b29oldtown224032-old-times-inold-town/

andymays
09-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Now that the DMTC has received a 1-Yr extension of it's operating contract the complete financials and other stats for the 2009 meet should be out any day now. If there was any motivation to suppress any negatives while the contract-award decision was pending that contigency is removed.

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/del-mar/article_6b88cfb6-8ccc-5057-9264-99d88dfdee0f.html

I spoke to the reporter this morning. Not a Horse Racing guy. Asked him if he was gonna do a little digging. Hope he does!

DJofSD
09-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Go, Andy, go! Stir that pot!

andymays
09-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Go, Andy, go! Stir that pot!

I have my metal pasta strainer on my head and I'm waiting for them to come after me! :lol:

All kidding aside I know I've pissed them off in a big way but my goal is to get them to stop spinning the truth every time they open their mouths. The CHRIMS thread has the handle numbers sent to me by Del Mar and I'm asking CHRIMS to certify them. I won't hold my breath!

The stuff they tried to pull with Jeff Nahil is unacceptable and I hope they fight back. Send Jeff an email and show your support! JNahill@nctimes.com

rwwupl
09-15-2009, 07:04 PM

We certainly want experienced and well-qualified applicants," Fennell said. "We were looking for somebody with at least 10 years of experience running a successful race meet. There aren't that many of those out there."

Craig Fravel, executive vice president of the Thoroughbred Club, said he understood the leasing commission's requirement to put the contract up for proposals. Like Fennell, he was a bit mystified about the reasons for delaying the proposal process.

The proposal,I understand, was for 5 years, with three other five year options for the winner.
I am also mystified about the reasons for the proposal process taken off the table and granting Del Mar a one year extention.

Something does not add up for me. But wait----

Mike_412
09-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Andy,

While probably not the right spot for this post, I just wanted to thank you for keeping after the SoCal officials with your emails to them and various reporters. As a fan of SoCal racing (or what I remember it to be) thanks man.

andymays
09-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Andy,

While probably not the right spot for this post, I just wanted to thank you for keeping after the SoCal officials with your emails to them and various reporters. As a fan of SoCal racing (or what I remember it to be) thanks man.

Thanks Mike! I'm probably taking this a little too far but at this point I'm dug in.

It is my opposition to synthetic surfaces and the poor treatment I recieved on the Del Mar fan forum that drives me. Not to mention that I like people to give me good information and tell the truth on a regular basis!

levinmpa
09-15-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm not a big fan of Joe Harper and Del Mar right now. I've had my own personal boycott. I bet all of $0 at the Del Mar meeting the past 3 years. How they can defend the Polytrack is beyond me. How they can charge early bird bettors $8 for parking so that Del Mar employees will be discouraged from using the parking lot, is about as lame as it gets. I love the Roger Stein show and never miss it. He tells it like it is. I won't be wasting my time or money with the Del Mar Polytrack next year either.

andymays
09-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Residents protest noise, pot smoking at Del Mar Fairgrounds
http://www.thecoastnews.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Residents+protest+noise-+pot+smoking+at+fairgrounds%20&id=3604372-Residents+protest+noise-+pot+smoking+at+fairgrounds&instance=coast_more_news

Excerpt:

The other speakers, some of whom complimented fairgrounds staff on the effort to control smoking at the fair, said they personally witnessed rampant pot smoking and minors being served alcohol during the Marley concert.

No action was taken by the board because the complaints were made during the public comment period of the meeting.

Craig Fravel, Del Mar Thoroughbred Club executive vice president, was present to give directors an update of the current race meeting. He said he was distressed to hear about what occurred at the Marley concert and assured directors the Thoroughbred Club welcomes community input and takes comments seriously and will take appropriate action. He added the Thoroughbred Club makes every effort to be a good neighbor and wants to continue to maintain good relations with the public.

rrbauer
09-16-2009, 09:38 AM

The proposal,I understand, was for 5 years, with three other five year options for the winner.
I am also mystified about the reasons for the proposal process taken off the table and granting Del Mar a one year extention.

Something does not add up for me. But wait----

The whole thing is a sham. It's stacked in favor of the incumbent outfit especially with the minimum 10-yr experience operating a racetrack. As if anybody that was competent with any amount of experience could screwup Del Mar. Well, maybe Magna....

Imriledup
09-16-2009, 10:23 AM
All So Cal track permit pot smoking. No one does a thing about it and no one cares. Want to smoke pot? head to your nearest so cal racetrack, they'll always look the other way, not one security guard to be found anywhere.

andymays
09-16-2009, 10:27 AM
All So Cal track permit pot smoking. No one does a thing about it and no one cares. Want to smoke pot? head to your nearest so cal racetrack, they'll always look the other way, not one security guard to be found anywhere.

I've been waiting for Del Mar to put Medical Marijuana in the infield as their next promotion. Medical Marijuana is legal in California and losing could be defined as pain and suffering. Produce a losing ticket and $20 for a bong hit!

C'mom Del Mar, stay true to form and go for it! The Cougar contest was just the beginning!:ThmbDown:

andymays
09-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Residents protest noise, pot smoking at Del Mar Fairgrounds
http://www.thecoastnews.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Residents+protest+noise-+pot+smoking+at+fairgrounds%20&id=3604372-Residents+protest+noise-+pot+smoking+at+fairgrounds&instance=coast_more_news

Excerpt:

The other speakers, some of whom complimented fairgrounds staff on the effort to control smoking at the fair, said they personally witnessed rampant pot smoking and minors being served alcohol during the Marley concert.

No action was taken by the board because the complaints were made during the public comment period of the meeting.

Craig Fravel, Del Mar Thoroughbred Club executive vice president, was present to give directors an update of the current race meeting. He said he was distressed to hear about what occurred at the Marley concert and assured directors the Thoroughbred Club welcomes community input and takes comments seriously and will take appropriate action. He added the Thoroughbred Club makes every effort to be a good neighbor and wants to continue to maintain good relations with the public.

YouTube - BOB MARLEY - DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-rJ-6hBfSo

Imriledup
09-19-2009, 06:10 AM
"Just admit it was a disaster and move on"

-Bettor Bob

Bruddah
09-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks Mike! I'm probably taking this a little too far but at this point I'm dug in.

It is my opposition to synthetic surfaces and the poor treatment I recieved on the Del Mar fan forum that drives me. Not to mention that I like people to give me good information and tell the truth on a regular basis!

Hell no, you are not taking this too far. Andy, I have completely exhausted my Amen Bruddahs for your posts. You are now receiving the first and probably only Hell yeah Bruddah award. (the Devil made me do it ;) )

You are my kind of guy. I applaud your tenacity and attitude. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

illinoisbred
09-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Hell no, you are not taking this too far. Andy, I have completely exhausted my Amen Bruddahs for your posts. You are now receiving the first and probably only Hell yeah Bruddah award. (the Devil made me do it ;) )

You are my kind of guy. I applaud your tenacity and attitude. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
Racing needs more people like you. The time you've obviously spent on information-gathering and the concise way you have of expressing it is truly impressive.Keep up you great work and remember most of us are on your side.I joined this forum because of your synthetic thread -it was the 1st one I responded to.

andymays
09-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the good words guys I appreciate it. :ThmbUp:

toetoe
09-19-2009, 01:13 PM
poor treatment ... on the Del Mar fan forum

Not hard to imagine that, Andy. Nothing personal against Mary F., if she's still involved, but what a morass that thing is.

You go, Andy (:voice of Don Knotts.).

andymays
09-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Not hard to imagine that, Andy. Nothing personal against Mary F., if she's still involved, but what a morass that thing is.

You go, Andy (:voice of Don Knotts.).

It was more of a problem with Joel but Mary was in charge!

It was mostly over synthetic surfaces discussions if you could imagine that. :eek:

They didn't appreciate my opinion too much. ;)