PDA

View Full Version : HIALEAH Q/H RACING

karlskorner
09-13-2009, 10:50 AM
John Brunetti forcasts a $15 million loss to open Quarter Horse racing at Hialeah beginning 11/28/09 for a 10 week period. Mr. Brunetti is "tight" with a buck so it's hard for me to believe he can depend on future T/B racing and "slots" to make up this immediate loss.

Never having seen a live Q/H race is it timed from the gate(flag) or is there a run-up ?

andymays
09-13-2009, 10:51 AM
John Brunetti forcasts a $15 million loss to open Quarter Horse racing at Hialeah beginning 11/28/09 for a 10 week period. Mr. Brunetti is "tight" with a buck so it's hard for me to believe he can depend on future T/B racing and "slots" to make up this immediate loss.

Never having seen a live Q/H race is it timed from the gate(flag) or is there a run-up ?

gate!

nomadpat
09-13-2009, 11:46 AM
and every horse electronically timed too, don't have to estimate from beaten lengths

Tom
09-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Obviously with top secret technology that has been withheld from the thoroughbred industry!:rolleyes:

Java Gold@TFT
09-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Obviously with top secret technology that has been withheld from the thoroughbred industry!:rolleyes:
It's too funny -here's the results from Yellowstone Downs in Montana from yesterday. Somehow they can time the QH horses individually down the 1/100th but the TB's are the old school timing but without splits. It's not like they are raking in the cash for super sensitive new technolgy for the QH's.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant_pdf.cgi?type=inc&country=USA&track=YD&date=2009-09-12&race=0

cj
09-13-2009, 07:14 PM
It's too funny -here's the results from Yellowstone Downs in Montana from yesterday. Somehow they can time the QH horses individually down the 1/100th but the TB's are the old school timing but without splits. It's not like they are raking in the cash for super sensitive new technolgy for the QH's.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant_pdf.cgi?type=inc&country=USA&track=YD&date=2009-09-12&race=0

I've never been able to figure that one out either.

onefast99
09-13-2009, 09:10 PM

JB will have a winner once the track is up and running and the slots are the cash cow.

castaway01
09-14-2009, 09:51 AM
JB will have a winner once the track is up and running and the slots are the cash cow.

He needs to get a better deal than Gulfstream did because they make a fraction per slot machine of what other tracks in the country get.

Tampa Russ
09-14-2009, 10:13 AM
He needs to get a better deal than Gulfstream did because they make a fraction per slot machine of what other tracks in the country get.

The impossible 50% state rake set during the JEB era has been reduced to 35% if I remember correctly. Still, the tribes have the best deal, and the market has to be about saturated. Throw in a crappy economy on top of it all. However, if Hialeah does actually run some quarters, I'll be there.

joanied
09-14-2009, 11:02 AM

I can't seem to get into Brisnet....but it's even more amazing if you can see Yellowstone Downs...talk about a run down facility...I have photos, but can't figure out how to add them to a post :mad: ...but, it's hardly a 'great race place' :)

Java Gold@TFT
09-14-2009, 01:21 PM
I can't seem to get into Brisnet....but it's even more amazing if you can see Yellowstone Downs...talk about a run down facility...I have photos, but can't figure out how to add them to a post :mad: ...but, it's hardly a 'great race place' :)
JoanieD, this one is funnier:

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/more/article_8d3a5ea8-9f70-11de-ba07-001cc4c03286.html

Ryan Sherman, executive secretary of the Montana Board of Horse Racing, spent his Labor Day weekend roaming around MetraPark's Yellowstone Downs.

The 33-year-old Billings native liked what he saw: competitive racing, long lines at the betting windows and a large, lively crowd in the grandstand and along the track's rail.

"I wish we would have had cameras to take pictures of how full the grandstands looked," Sherman said. "When I have to dodge people when I'm walking around, that's a good sign."

By their announced attendence and handle they are getting a per capita of $20/per person/per day. Yep, long lines at the windows to bet that $1 quinella. :)

joanied
09-15-2009, 11:14 AM
JoanieD, this one is funnier:

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/more/article_8d3a5ea8-9f70-11de-ba07-001cc4c03286.html

By their announced attendence and handle they are getting a per capita of $20/per person/per day. Yep, long lines at the windows to bet that $1 quinella. :)

JavaGold... Rather pathetic ain't it... I am glad they are getting 'crowds'...but I really don't know how the 'racing industry' out here in the Rocky Mtn. region makes it from year to year. I don't know how the folks involved, trainers, owners, jocks, ect. make it...a 'huge' purse is maybe $40,000...and that is very few & far between...I think most winning connections are looking at a pay day of maybe a few thousand dollars here and there...
you can imagine the calibur of horses they run...all bottom of the barrel TB's, QH's, Paints, Arabians...it's really sad.

But...Yellowstone Downs is the only game in town...and I hope they continue with the local meets...if they can't, then it's pretty much 'curtains' for all these folks trying to make a living.