PDA

View Full Version : The Brilliance of Frank Mirahmadi On TVG

samyn on the green
09-12-2009, 03:12 PM
This guy is a talented impressionist. It was almost impossible to discern that Marv Albert was not introducing 58 Flat today on TVG. He may be the most talented impressionist of his generation. It is sort of a shame that he is relegated to calling race at minor venues and state fairs. He is a massive talent.

wisconsin
09-12-2009, 04:56 PM
This guy is a talented impressionist. It was almost impossible to discern that Marv Albert was not introducing 58 Flat today on TVG. He may be the most talented impressionist of his generation. It is sort of a shame that he is relegated to calling race at minor venues and state fairs. He is a massive talent.

:ThmbUp:

Stevie Belmont
09-12-2009, 05:08 PM
"Yes, And it Counts!"

BUD
09-12-2009, 05:37 PM
true

onefast99
09-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Look for him to be the race caller once Hialeah opens its doors.

netbet
09-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Most handicappers follow certain circuits or tracks...I have actually thought about following Mr. Mirahmadi and playing whatever track he is announcing at.

He makes the calls entertaining and enjoyable.

I'll definitely be playing Hialeah again when they open.

Spectacular Sid
09-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Look for him to be the race caller once Hialeah opens its doors.

I sure hope the tooth fairy or Easter bunny leaves lots of cash for me to play Hialeah once it "opens its doors." Maybe Santa Clause will show up on opening day after getting a sleigh ride in the snow from his reindeer.

But I do like Frank M. He deserves better than the tracks he's calling (and having to introduce Matt "Mute Button" Caruthers is embarrassing). Frank doesn't deserve to have to work for a jerk like John Brunetti.

Space Monkey
09-12-2009, 10:33 PM
UMMM, Hialeah has been granted quarter horse dates and racing will resume there, with of course , slots.

Imriledup
09-12-2009, 10:49 PM

I know he's a great impressionist, but isn't he a racecaller? If he wants to be an impressionist, maybe he should retire from racecalling and start up his own show called Frank TV.

thespaah
09-13-2009, 12:28 AM
This guy is a talented impressionist. It was almost impossible to discern that Marv Albert was not introducing 58 Flat today on TVG. He may be the most talented impressionist of his generation. It is sort of a shame that he is relegated to calling race at minor venues and state fairs. He is a massive talent.yep he's pretty darn good. I like those muti announcer calls he does on occasion.
He'll start as himself then segue into Denman, Marv Albert, Battaglia, Wrona etc....He even throws a little Dangerfield in there

thespaah
09-13-2009, 12:32 AM
I know he's a great impressionist, but isn't he a racecaller? If he wants to be an impressionist, maybe he should retire from racecalling and start up his own show called Frank TV.
Ok..we're trying to have a little fun here.
This is a sport, And sports are supposed to be a diversion from the grindstone.
Yes we want good race calls. But why must we live inside the little box all the time?

BombsAway Bob
09-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Saturday's :58 Flat opening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QoSMqWc6TU

big frank
09-13-2009, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the link Bombs Away ... Frankie M is best.... How could you not find this guy entertaining ????

eastie
09-13-2009, 01:25 AM
not to get off subject but, what was up with Marv Albert and those funky ladies underwear he got caught in ?:blush:

miesque
09-13-2009, 01:54 AM

Thanks for the link, Bob. :ThmbUp:

That intro for :58 Flat is a great illustration of one of the reasons I appreciate Frank Mirahmadi, he is a uniquely gifted individual. Mirahmadi possesses the talent to transform an occurence as mundane as a boring introduction to a daily handicapping show into something that not only grabs our attention, but gives many of us a chuckle or at the very least partial grin. As someone who has a tendency to take things way too seriously, I appreciate an intelligent, talented, well executed infusion of humor (which I must point out is different from watching a bunch of guys simply goofing off on the set, which does not amuse me). I think Frank is an underrated announcer and that we will be seeing him move up the ranks over the next few years.

fmolf
09-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the link, Bob. :ThmbUp:

That intro for :58 Flat is a great illustration of one of the reasons I appreciate Frank Mirahmadi, he is a uniquely gifted individual. Mirahmadi possesses the talent to transform an occurence as mundane as a boring introduction to a daily handicapping show into something that not only grabs our attention, but gives many of us a chuckle or at the very least partial grin. As someone who has a tendency to take things way too seriously, I appreciate an intelligent, talented, well executed infusion of humor (which I must point out is different from watching a bunch of guys simply goofing off on the set, which does not amuse me). I think Frank is an underrated announcer and that we will be seeing him move up the ranks over the next few years.
I certainly hope you are right....I really enjoy the rare times he calls a race in another voice....why doesn't he do it more often?I hope track management is not holding him back.He will be at turf paradise again this year i hope?

onefast99
09-13-2009, 08:58 AM
I sure hope the tooth fairy or Easter bunny leaves lots of cash for me to play Hialeah once it "opens its doors." Maybe Santa Clause will show up on opening day after getting a sleigh ride in the snow from his reindeer.

But I do like Frank M. He deserves better than the tracks he's calling (and having to introduce Matt "Mute Button" Caruthers is embarrassing). Frank doesn't deserve to have to work for a jerk like John Brunetti.
You need to get out of the house a bit more. Red Oak and Brunetti are Frank M's very close friends along with both Rick and Greg sacco. All JB has to do is pick up the phone and Frank is on his way to Hialeah. As you probably didn't know Frank was the race caller after VS left Hialeah, Frank is one very talented guy why wouldn't someone like JB want him as a race caller?

Valuist
09-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Don't forget Frank's D. Wayne Lukas impression. Classic.

I wonder if Hialeah will still have the insanely high takeout rate. I like Frank M also, but at 30% or so, I can't bet that unless they drop it significantly.

craigbraddick
09-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Frank is a very good Announcer.

Craig

MickJ26
09-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Frank is a Cadillac in a parking lot full of Pintos.
Turf Paradise and TVG are lucky to have him.

johnhannibalsmith
09-13-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm sure most of you have seen this but... I've always loved Frank straight and enjoyed the impressions - but I gained a new respect for the man when he pulled this one off last fall on closing day...

I'm sure there is a direct link to the video, but this page actually has a little history to go with it.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.sportsrubbish.com/2009/05/15/other-sports/horse-racing/comedian-frank-mirahmadi-calls-entire-horse-race-using-impressions-video/&ei=pyatSvPjHoH-sQPn6p38BA&sa=X&oi=spellmeleon_result&resnum=1&ct=result&usg=AFQjCNESPz7FUkehUS-uOAWU4aqQS1vKCQ

jballscalls
09-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Frank is an awesome announcer, and as far as management holding him back from impressions, my guess is he doesn't want to do them too often in order for them not to get tiresome, plus i'm sure he probably likes calling the races as Frank more than he does as Marv.

and Frank gets to spend 8 months in Phoenix during the fall/winter/spring and summers in California, sounds pretty darn good to me!

Nets
09-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Will always remember his tribute call for Luke Kruytbosch. IMO Frank and Vic bring a lot to race calls. Always got a special feeling hearing Luke's voice, and they are now the closest to that for me.

Gary

BlueShoe
09-28-2009, 01:57 AM
It has been announced that Frank Mirahmadi will take on an expanded role at TVG.Article in Sundays DRF about this decision.The new announcer at the upcoming Turf Paradise meeting will be Mike Chamberlain,who has served as Sam Houstons announcer for the last 12 years.Have mixed feelings about this.Certainly feel that Frank adds something to the TVG lineup,but on the other hand,will miss his work in the announcers booth.