PDA

View Full Version : gio ponti in the breeders cup turf

bisket
09-11-2009, 08:10 PM
i've heard many handicappers say they don't like gio popnti past 1 1/4 miles. question: how does the fact that 1 1/2 mile races at santa anita start on the downhill portion of their turf course figure into this. i believe the first 2 to 3 furs of the race will be downhill. this gives the field an almost effortless start. would this move gio ponti up? my opinion would be: yes!!

andymays
09-11-2009, 08:12 PM
i've heard many handicappers say they don't like gio popnti past 1 1/4 miles. question: how does the fact that 1 1/2 mile races at santa anita start on the downhill portion of their turf course figure into this. i believe the first 2 to 3 furs of the race will be downhill. this gives the field an almost effortless start. would this move gio ponti up? my opinion would be: yes!!

The downhill course has the only right hand turn in American racing I believe, and it is downhill so it probably plays close to an eighth of a mile less in my opinion.

bisket
09-11-2009, 08:39 PM
lots of times speed can get out to a free 1/4!! theres a 1 1/2 mile graded turf race that runs in the spring i hit two years running with what i would call cheap speed. both times i got good odds on those horses. if precious passion runs; she'll probably be in the tri. most handicappers don't take this into consideration. it makes a difference!!

tribecaagent
09-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Why wouldn't Clement & Co. take a shot and run in the Classic? HOY is already locked up. What's to lose?

bisket
09-11-2009, 08:53 PM
i think the classic would be where i'd run him, but i wouldn't toss him if he does show up in the turf. i think ponti may just be our countries best hope at winning the classic.