PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga 2009 Public Handicappers' Scorecard: FINAL

andymays
09-10-2009, 06:50 PM
http://www.equidaily.com/bestbet/saratog2.html

Top 5 shown. For complete list click on the link!

Excerpt:

Our $671.50 ROI -- while not enough to "beat-the-meet", did best five of the eight handicappers that topped us with winners-on-top and provided ROI numbers, and placed us at #4 among the eighteen handicappers that provided ROI info. And frankly, we were just a hop-skip-and a jump from "beating-the-meet". This past Thursday our top pick in the 2nd race ran second at 21.90-1. And on Saturday we goofed and left the 12th race off of the page -- missing a $6.70 winner [although, for verification, we used the horse on the Bankroll Page]. A little racing luck -- and a little less absent-mindedness -- and we have $50.50 more in the bank and we're a 2-1 shot away from having a positive ROI for the season. But -- that's what makes it interesting...

Note: Discrepancies in total number of races played is due to some handicappers losing races due to scratches.

ALSO: Dollar amounts shown are the ROI if a $2 win-bet was placed on each handicapper's top selection. Not all handicappers supplied this information.

Matt Graves
Albany Times Union 114-361 ... $742.20

Bill Taylor
Saratogian 114-362

Tom Cavanagh
NY Daily News 113-365 ... $692.30

Mark Cusano
Daily [Schenectady] Gazette 113-365

Brien Bouyea
Saratogian 108-361

toetoe
09-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Andy,

I'm sure you agree that win % is useless. Place and show, also. Why bother ?

andymays
09-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Andy,

I'm sure you agree that win % is useless. Place and show, also. Why bother ?

I'm trying to help take a little heat off TLG!

Not that he needs my help in any way!

DeanT
09-10-2009, 07:06 PM
That's a nice commercial for those of us who think takeout needs to be lowered.

badcompany
09-10-2009, 10:34 PM
That's a nice commercial for those of us who think takeout needs to be lowered.

The NY Post had its yearly "Battle of Saratoga" in which 4 "experts" could make any type of wager they wanted and didn't have to bet every race. They all went down the toilet.

postpicker
09-10-2009, 11:40 PM
The NY Post had its yearly "Battle of Saratoga" in which 4 "experts" could make any type of wager they wanted and didn't have to bet every race. They all went down the toilet.

We all didn't go down the toilet. Clancy won and I was second. The two of us alternated for the lead until Clancy pulled away at the end. But I wouldn't call it going down the toilet.

John DaSilva

BombsAway Bob
09-11-2009, 12:38 AM
We all didn't go down the toilet. Clancy won and I was second. The two of us alternated for the lead until Clancy pulled away at the end. But I wouldn't call it going down the toilet.

John DaSilva
I really like the NY Post format of $50 a day, wager whatever you choose...
thought you had Sean in your sights, John.. still,a Solid 2nd, well done!
You Locked into that Quinella/Exacta combo for a while; I bet of lot of
the Picnic Patrons that comb the public selections for bets liked that wager.
It just 'feels safer' for a lot of them.

postpicker
09-11-2009, 12:54 AM
I really like the NY Post format of $50 a day, wager whatever you choose...
thought you had Sean in your sights, John.. still,a Solid 2nd, well done!
You Locked into that Quinella/Exacta combo for a while; I bet of lot of
the Picnic Patrons that comb the public selections for bets liked that wager.
It just 'feels safer' for a lot of them.

Thanks Bob. I thought I was gonna put away Clancy on Woodward day. I loved Copper Cascade and I thought I had all of the possible winning exactas covered but freakin Smart Enuf had to ruin it for me. I'll get him next year.

Tom
09-11-2009, 07:47 AM
I was looking at those "contests" they have in the Post and the News - each guy gets a bankroll, they pick what they want everyday......boy, those guys are not too good! I can see having to pick every race everyday as being impossible, but when they get to cherry pick........not impressed. I would think if you didn't increase the bankroll, you were a waste of time. We have guys here who could do far better.

ryesteve
09-11-2009, 09:27 AM
I would think if you didn't increase the bankroll, you were a waste of time.When did winning become so easy?

postpicker
09-11-2009, 10:31 AM
I was looking at those "contests" they have in the Post and the News - each guy gets a bankroll, they pick what they want everyday......boy, those guys are not too good! I can see having to pick every race everyday as being impossible, but when they get to cherry pick........not impressed. I would think if you didn't increase the bankroll, you were a waste of time. We have guys here who could do far better.

Well, if you think you can do better, lets see you make selections and plays 24 hours before the races are run. With no scratches and unknown track conditions and having a filing deadline, it isn't as easy as you think.

DRIVEWAY
09-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Well, if you think you can do better, lets see you make selections and plays 24 hours before the races are run. With no scratches and unknown track conditions and having a filing deadline, it isn't as easy as you think.

I wonder if a one minute to post value bettor might have an advantage over you.:confused:

Tom
09-11-2009, 10:58 AM
I think losing a large percentage of the bankroll when you can cherry pick races is a waste of time as a month long feature. Like the weather, you know, they say sunny and we get flooded out, you tend to lose interest. I never said it was easy, but these guys are paid to handicap. Pay me their salary and I'll give it a shot!

Tom
09-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I wonder if a one minute to post value bettor might have an advantage over you.:confused:

Not as much as a one minute AFTER post bettor.:eek:

badcompany
09-11-2009, 11:02 AM

It actually confirms what I've felt for a long time: Saratoga isn't a track at which to bet serious money.

I know some guys, here, claim to do great there, but, for the most part, it's a crap shoot.

This outcome, no one showing a profit, isn't an anamoly, it pretty much happens every year.

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2009, 06:41 PM
This outcome, no one showing a profit, isn't an anamoly, it pretty much happens every year.I thought the link in the original post did show someone with a profit...the guy from the Albany Times had a profit, did he not?

badcompany
09-11-2009, 11:47 PM
I thought the link in the original post did show someone with a profit...the guy from the Albany Times had a profit, did he not?

I'm sure someone occasionally shows a profit, but, I've been following those contests for a long time, and, they're usually won by the person who has the smallest loss.

As I said, I don't think it's their handicapping as much as the difficulty of what they're trying to do.