PDA

View Full Version : WALL STREET NOW BETTING THAT WE DIE EARLY

riskman
09-09-2009, 06:49 PM
From Sundays New York Times:

"After the mortgage business imploded last year, Wall Street investment banks began searching for another big idea to make money. They think they may have found one.

The bankers plan to buy “life settlements,” life insurance policies that ill and elderly people sell for cash — $400,000 for a $1 million policy, say, depending on the life expectancy of the insured person. Then they plan to “securitize” these policies, in Wall Street jargon, by packaging hundreds or thousands together into bonds. They will then resell those bonds to investors, like big pension funds, who will receive the payouts when people with the insurance die."

More here-

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/business/06insurance.html

The free market survives ,with a death rattle.

Warren Henry
09-09-2009, 07:08 PM
From Sundays New York Times:

"After the mortgage business imploded last year, Wall Street investment banks began searching for another big idea to make money. They think they may have found one.

The bankers plan to buy “life settlements,” life insurance policies that ill and elderly people sell for cash — $400,000 for a $1 million policy, say, depending on the life expectancy of the insured person. Then they plan to “securitize” these policies, in Wall Street jargon, by packaging hundreds or thousands together into bonds. They will then resell those bonds to investors, like big pension funds, who will receive the payouts when people with the insurance die."

More here-

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/business/06insurance.html

The free market survives ,with a death rattle.

Ahh, the possibilities.

So, would the fact that you had sold your life insurance policy to investors factor into whether or not you would receive life prolonging care under the new health plan.

DJofSD
09-09-2009, 08:20 PM
"Quickly now, sign here, here and here."

"Now please hurry up and die."

robert99
09-10-2009, 08:54 AM
The new SEC regulator:

exactaplayer
09-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Ahh, the possibilities.

So, would the fact that you had sold your life insurance policy to investors factor into whether or not you would receive life prolonging care under the new health plan.
If they can make a profit, they care not about your well being.

Tom
09-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Isn't that what insurance is all about?

exactaplayer
09-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Isn't that what insurance is all about?
Assuming you were responding to my comment "if they can make a profit, they care not about your well being." Yes that is what insurance is all about and that is why we need health care reform.

Tom
09-10-2009, 10:33 AM
You do not understand insurance then.
When you buy life insurance, you are betting you die and the insurance company is betting you won't. Should we reform that, too?

DJofSD
09-10-2009, 11:44 AM
When you buy life insurance, you are betting you die and the insurance company is betting you won't. Should we reform that, too?
Why not. We've thrown every other rule for doing business out the window.

Watcher
09-10-2009, 01:12 PM
This is not new. Firms have been purchasing current or opening life insurance in the name of elderly individuals for some time.

ddog
09-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Ahh, the possibilities.

if those investors were the insurance companies, whadda ya think? :D

Sounds like a great market though, with the obesity and horrible health practices that are pushed in this country, I think I will take the short side of this play!

I see some great CDS plays in this deal.

Maybe even better than gold and oil royalty.

Could probably hire teams of Acorns to run around killing off old people and make out like a bandit.

Thanks-Warren!

ddog
09-10-2009, 05:29 PM

funny stuff.

I will check with my insurance buds and get back to you.
Betting you won't die!

For how long have they been losing that bet!!!

:lol: :lol: :D

ddog
09-10-2009, 06:22 PM
hope you are not holding.............

http://www.finviz.com/insidertrading.ashx?tc=2