PDA

View Full Version : Spotted at the SPA....Steve Asmussen or was it?

Vinman
09-08-2009, 11:13 PM
I feel like a bit of an idiot asking this, but here goes. Over the last 5 days at Saratoga on at least 2 or 3 occasions, I saw a guy in shorts near the Jockey's path who looked exactly like Steve Asmussen, including the trademark facial hair.

Could it have actually been him? Obviously it could have....but this guy looked like he was just hanging out with a couple of friends....again, in shorts, right outside (not inside) the paddock fence near the NYRA Store kiosk. One of the times I saw him was the day after Rachel won the Woodward.

Did anyone happen to see this guy? He sure wasn't acting like one of the nation's leading trainers.

Let's take a poll....was it Steve or a Steve look alike?

Vinman

the little guy
09-09-2009, 12:33 AM
He's not Steve Asmussen.....but he does look like him.

rjorio
09-09-2009, 03:26 PM
I too saw this doppelganger in the clubhouse in a grey sweatshirt,arms cut off,and soiled shorts. He appeared to be on a bender. I was fooled until the real deal walked by me not five minutes latter. They are almost identical.

slewis
09-09-2009, 03:36 PM
The guy is a local fireman who's been attending the SPA before Asmussen was a presence in NY racing.

Ive known him for 11 yrs or so...

He's a really good guy and he told me that he and Asmussen have chatted and laughed a few times over the resemblance.

They look amazingly alike......

the little guy
09-09-2009, 03:48 PM
I too saw this doppelganger in the clubhouse in a grey sweatshirt,arms cut off,and soiled shorts. He appeared to be on a bender. I was fooled until the real deal walked by me not five minutes latter. They are almost identical.

Why do you have to disparage him?

Like Slewis said....he's a really nice guy.

bisket
09-09-2009, 06:09 PM
whats a doppelganger? ;)

saratoga guy
09-09-2009, 07:35 PM
That's funny -- everybody says the same thing about that guy.

There's also a Santa Claus look-alike who is often at the track.

And a year or two ago there was a Rod Stewart clone that was a semi-regular (and playing it for all it was worth).

Space Monkey
09-09-2009, 07:41 PM
A doppleganger is your identical twin in life. there's a belief that everybody has someone somewhere on the planet. Its a popular topic on Coast to Coast AM with George Norry.

saratoga guy
09-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Its a popular topic on Coast to Coast AM with George Norry.

And there was more than one Twilight Zone episode about it...

DJofSD
09-09-2009, 07:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppelg%C3%A4nger

NTamm1215
09-09-2009, 08:10 PM
That's funny -- everybody says the same thing about that guy.

There's also a Santa Claus look-alike who is often at the track.

And a year or two ago there was a Rod Stewart clone that was a semi-regular (and playing it for all it was worth).

I did a triple-take with this guy on the Thursday of opening week. Funny thing about him is that I was looking at someone's photos of their trip to the Spa and the caption was "OMG, even Rod Stewart comes to the Spa!"

NT

DJofSD
09-09-2009, 08:13 PM
No wonder I don't see him any more at DMR.

cj's dad
09-09-2009, 08:41 PM
A doppleganger is your identical twin in life. there's a belief that everybody has someone somewhere on the planet. Its a popular topic on Coast to Coast AM with George Norry.

This same thing happened to me 2 years ago at the Spa; I was in the mens room and saw my identical twin and then realized that I was loaded and looking in the mirror.

Grits
09-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Christina is, indeed, a babydoll. If she stepped in front of the camera wearing a burlap sack--she'd still be gorgeous.

Same can be said for Steve. Many females figure he could get up at 4 am every morning and muck his own stalls 'til 8--he'd still be the finest looking man on a North American backstretch. And Bob, he could be one barn over. Same scenario. LOLOL

Good genes are just that . . . good genes. They're always recognizable, always appreciated, and always easy on the eyes.

rjorio
09-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Apologies extended to the Steve Asmussen look alike. I in no way meant to disparage the guy,who seemed to be having a great time. I was just contrasting the way he was attired to the way Asmussen was dressed.As a local firefighter ,he can dress anyway he likes and if he wants to have a beverage or two ,all power to him.

toetoe
09-10-2009, 06:16 PM
he'd still be the finest looking man on a North American backstretch

He looks like Victor Buono on SlimFast to me.

Indulto
09-10-2009, 06:21 PM
He looks like Victor Buono on SlimFast to me.Assmussen or tlg? ;)

Vinman
09-10-2009, 06:54 PM
John, who be "tlg"......the local fireman clone?

Vinman
09-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Never mind.....I finally figured it out : )

Grits
09-10-2009, 07:35 PM
He looks like Victor Buono on SlimFast to me.

So, Victor's easy on the eyes too? I have no absolute idea who Victor is, and, tonight, don't feel like going to the trouble to google him. LOL.

Still, Toe, you entertain me; you've got a fine sense of humor. And that's a good thing because, sometimes, people take themselves far too seriously. Every day it seems, someone online is suggesting, "get a life". Yet, every person making such a recommendation is still here, taking time out of their own busy life, reading, waiting for every post that follows their own. I think it may be cyclic.

Toe, if I ever have any conversations with Steve, I'll let you know if he really looks like Victor--after I find out who the hell Victor is.:lol:

Slimfast . . . . . people really drink that stuff? GROSS.

andymays
09-10-2009, 07:41 PM
So, Victor's easy on the eyes too? I have no absolute idea who Victor is, and, tonight, don't feel like going to the trouble to google him. LOL.

Still, Toe, you entertain me; you've got a fine sense of humor. And that's a good thing because, sometimes, people take themselves far too seriously. Every day it seems, someone online is suggesting, "get a life". Yet, every person making such a recommendation is still here, taking time out of their own busy life, reading, waiting for every post that follows their own. I think it may be cyclic.

Toe, if I ever have any conversations with Steve, I'll let you know if he really looks like Victor--after I find out who the hell Victor is.:lol:

Slimfast . . . . . people really drink that stuff? GROSS.

He played King Tut on the original Batman series! :)

Grits
09-10-2009, 07:51 PM
LOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Having never watched a Batman series or film in my life, a Spider Man, a Superman, a Star Trek, or a Harry Potter, you've educated me Andym. Thank you.

andymays
09-10-2009, 07:59 PM
LOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Having never watched a Batman series or film in my life, a Spider Man, a Superman, a Star Trek, or a Harry Potter, you've educated me Andym. Thank you.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0120658/

Victor Buono Biography

Excerpt:

Mini Biography

Larger than life, Laughtonesque, and with an eloquent, king-sized appetite for maniacal merriment, a good portion of the work of actor Victor Buono was squandered on hokey villainy on both film and TV. Ostensibly perceived as bizarre or demented, seldom did Hollywood give this cultivated cut-up the opportunity to rise above the deliciously hammy arrogance that flowed through so many of his cartoonish characters. He loved to make people laugh and while he could have approached his career with more serious attention, the real money was in his madness. In the end, the actor's chronic weight and accompanying health problems took their toll -- a fatal heart attack at the untimely age of 43 -- and a wonderful actor/writer/poet/chef had exited way before his time.