PDA

View Full Version : did richard's kid work in company

bisket
09-07-2009, 01:39 PM
you know when dick small trained broad brush he had some bank behind him. he stated on one occassion that the only way he ever got to the bottom of broad brush (rich's grandad) was to work him in company. he said he went to great lengths trying to get stiff works into broad brush. he said most times after working with brush in company the other horses were worthless for the track. he said leading up to this big cap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAEZ-QRAts8
he had many problems getting some good works into broad brush that he called mr meyerhoff and said, "we either have to ship brush back to balimore and work him with some of the stable horses or you need to buy me some horses here to work with him." well mr meyerhoff bought some horses and the rest is history!! i wonder if small was having some of the same problems with richards kid and just didn't have the quality horse to work with him. it would be just kinda neat to find out if baffert worked rich's kid in company in his works the past 3 months. does anyone know?

Imriledup
09-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Broad Brush, wasn't he the horse who bolted with Cordero in the Pa Derby one year?

BB was also a horse who had an X next to his name when the DRF used to use an 'x' to note a horse they thought was a superior mudder. I always remember that he was Broad Brush X in the form.

bisket
09-07-2009, 04:40 PM
i think it may have been him. he was a wildchild. didn't stop cordero from riding him. that says alot

Greyfox
09-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Richard's Kid went from a .05 % win rate trainer to Bob Baffert. Surprise, surprise, he won.

JWBurnie
09-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Richard's Kid went from a .05 % win rate trainer to Bob Baffert. Surprise, surprise, he won.

D. Small is far from a 5% trainer. The poly and Baffert stepped this horse up, huge.

I'd like to know what Baffert saw in RK to seek him out in MD.

bisket
09-07-2009, 07:53 PM
D. Small is far from a 5% trainer. The poly and Baffert stepped this horse up, huge.

all some people know are percentages. baffert said the same agent who turned him onto war emblem advised the purchase of richard's kid. war emblem was by the md sire our emblem (he wasn't a md bred though) that resided on i think the bender's farm at the time of war emblems purchase. right after the derby the bender's cashed in on our emblem, and are still sittin pretty to this day because of it. i will say i may be mixing this situation up with declan's moon who was by malbu moon. who was residing on a farm in md also at the time of his popularity. i can't recall which horse was where though. i'd say dick small may have been part of the reason he's in cali right now. dick small is absolutely one of the best horseman and trainers around. he just doesn't have the bank behind him anymore. i think theres something behind all this that we may never know about.

bisket
09-08-2009, 08:51 PM
heres the chart from the pac classic smith lost his whip in the stretch
http://www.drf.com/displayChart.do?filepath=Download\simulcastweekly\ charts\0909\DMR2009090609.pdf

andymays
09-08-2009, 09:12 PM
This was from Todays Racing Digest www.todaysracingdigest.com workouts by Bruno De Julio www.racingwithbruno.com

Richard's Kid 08/26 DMR/FT 7F 124.0h

Worked with mate and both went in 23.4, 47, 59.2 and 112.1. Kid went out
an additional furlong for 124.4 and out in a mile in 137 flat.

bisket
09-08-2009, 09:34 PM
12's all day without even trying. the horse just needs competition to keep his head straight. thanks andy. my hopes are if they're going to the cup the rich runs in the marathon :ThmbUp:

bisket
09-08-2009, 09:41 PM
if anyone is curious on what to expect from rich going forward just look at pioneer of the niles pps and it'll give you good clue. when i saw this horse's pps thats who popped into my mind.

Greyfox
09-09-2009, 01:36 AM

JWBurnie: You say: Small is far from a 5% trainer?

I say that the "Facts say different."

Perhaps we calculate percentages different.
But listed in the Daily Racing Form Richard Small has sent out
76 horses this year. Four (4) have won. His win percentage is .05 or 5
percent. No need to argue with me. Sent your beef to the Daily Racing Form.
In the mean while, Small has won at a 5 % clip. Yes he has solid seconds.
Racing is about winning.

JWBurnie
09-09-2009, 11:21 AM
JWBurnie: You say: Small is far from a 5% trainer?

I say that the "Facts say different."

Perhaps we calculate percentages different.
But listed in the Daily Racing Form Richard Small has sent out
76 horses this year. Four (4) have won. His win percentage is .05 or 5
percent. No need to argue with me. Sent your beef to the Daily Racing Form.
In the mean while, Small has won at a 5 % clip. Yes he has solid seconds.
Racing is about winning.

No need to argue.
My records show in his last 1887 starts...

297 Wins / 317 places / 298 shows

Please feel free to calculate the percentages... using your method.

Greyfox
09-09-2009, 01:01 PM
His record this year is 4 wins 76 races. I'm interested in this year, not the past.

(Johnny Unitas once led the NFL in passing.)

ddog
09-09-2009, 01:47 PM
all stats are of the past!

dig it.

he may be at a .5 spot , but he is not a .5 spot guy.

true that.
the past is very valuable, it's all you had.

gm10
09-09-2009, 02:09 PM
you know when dick small trained broad brush he had some bank behind him. he stated on one occassion that the only way he ever got to the bottom of broad brush (rich's grandad) was to work him in company. he said he went to great lengths trying to get stiff works into broad brush. he said most times after working with brush in company the other horses were worthless for the track. he said leading up to this big cap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAEZ-QRAts8
he had many problems getting some good works into broad brush that he called mr meyerhoff and said, "we either have to ship brush back to balimore and work him with some of the stable horses or you need to buy me some horses here to work with him." well mr meyerhoff bought some horses and the rest is history!! i wonder if small was having some of the same problems with richards kid and just didn't have the quality horse to work with him. it would be just kinda neat to find out if baffert worked rich's kid in company in his works the past 3 months. does anyone know?

I can find only two matches:

10 July, 4F in 47''60 with Sangaree
16 July, 5F in 60''40 with Del Conte

bisket
09-09-2009, 04:25 PM
works from drf
http://drf.com/workoutsForHorseAction.do?rNo=05007130
i knew the times were good, but what i wanted to know is was he working in company. which is information you can't get from just anywhere. you need a railbird. rich just needed competition in the mornings.

bisket
09-09-2009, 04:55 PM
rich was bred and owned by robert meyerhoff and as everyone knows trained by dick small. these are the same people that raced broad brush. baffert bought him for the synthetics.