PDA

View Full Version : zero takeout rate if no one hits 6 of 6?

Imriledup
09-07-2009, 01:42 AM
The idea is to select 6 winners. If no one selects 6 winners, than the entire pool gets carried over. Here's my question for the panel here.

Why would a track withdraw the takeout and carryover the rest of the money when they could just put ALL the money into the next day's pool and take it out then?

For example. Lets say Del Mar has a guaranteed 1 million pool for the pick 6 and no one hits it. They pay out 25% to consos and 20% goes to takeout rate. Why not apply the 20 pct takeout rate to just the conso payouts and leave the other 75% of the pool 'untaxed' and just tax that money the following day?

The carryover money is going into the pool and isn't subject to takeout, so why take that money out on the day it happens? Why not wait and just apply the 20.68% takeout (dmrs takeout rate) to the entire pool the following day? If you 'add' the takeout money as a 'carryover' the pool will be bigger, no?

I have to be missing something, what is it?

Horseplayersbet.com
09-07-2009, 07:39 AM
The idea is to select 6 winners. If no one selects 6 winners, than the entire pool gets carried over. Here's my question for the panel here.

Why would a track withdraw the takeout and carryover the rest of the money when they could just put ALL the money into the next day's pool and take it out then?

For example. Lets say Del Mar has a guaranteed 1 million pool for the pick 6 and no one hits it. They pay out 25% to consos and 20% goes to takeout rate. Why not apply the 20 pct takeout rate to just the conso payouts and leave the other 75% of the pool 'untaxed' and just tax that money the following day?

The carryover money is going into the pool and isn't subject to takeout, so why take that money out on the day it happens? Why not wait and just apply the 20.68% takeout (dmrs takeout rate) to the entire pool the following day? If you 'add' the takeout money as a 'carryover' the pool will be bigger, no?

I have to be missing something, what is it?
The amount taken out because of takeout will be the same no matter which formula is used, so it would be a little deceiving to state a carryover that hasn't had the takeout removed yet, but there is a better reason why your example won't happen.

The takeout occurs when a bet is made, not when a bet is cashed. On refunds, the takeout is given back.

Especially consider the fact that many bets go through intertracks and ADWs and that in some cases carryovers can go on for weeks (like at Woodbine right now). It adds unnecessary accounting (also consider rewards if the ADW gives them) when you take out only for the carryover pool portion of the pool. It is much easier to take the money out when the bet is made.