PDA

View Full Version : ESPN SportsCenter

MickJ26
09-06-2009, 03:08 PM
I watched ESPN SportsCenter last night, which I rarely do, just to see if the Woodward would get a mention. I sat through the whole boring thing which included lots of college football, Tiger Woods, US Open tennis, baseball, NASCAR, and even soccer World Cup qualifying; nothing. Not even on their little crawl down and the bottom of the screen. I didn't expect it to be their lead story, but, seriously, not even a mention? Apparently Danica Patrick switching to NASCAR was big news.
Sorry, just venting.

Marshall Bennett
09-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Would have been nice . Horseracing however , ranks far below the sports you mentioned in popularity , so I'm not surprised .

turfnsport
09-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Did they report whether Brett Favre pooped?

SportCenter is a complete farce.

tucker6
09-06-2009, 08:02 PM

SportCenter is a complete farce.
yes they did, but the report became too detailed and I turned the channel. :blush:

Tom
09-07-2009, 09:44 AM

He was going to but he changed his mind.

Robert Goren
09-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I bet horses and I could not care less about RA. I spent more time on a 10k n2l than than I did on the Woodward. Even most horse players don't care about RA and that egoist that owns her.

Quagmire
09-07-2009, 10:36 AM
I bet horses and I could not care less about RA. I spent more time on a 10k n2l than than I did on the Woodward. Even most horse players don't care about RA and that egoist that owns her.

The amounts of threads here dedicated to RA might prove this statement untrue.

OffNPacing
09-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Just 2 comments regarding this thread. 1st off, Rachel Alexandra is the best filly out there, and proves it every race. She beat the fillies hands down. Was doubted against the Top Boys, and beat them, and now beat OLDER Males, you have got to be kidding me to say nobody cares about her. She is history.

Rachel dueled the entire race in the Woodward and then STILL held off Macho Again, who was coming like a rocketship. I must say that was class. She was really coming especially when Calvin KEPT whipping her, she knew she needed to give more, and she did.

NOW, as far as ESPN. By the sounds of it, you are just a horse racing fan, not much of a sports fan, which is fine. I love sportscenter, as they are def. the best sports station in the country.... as far as not mentioning the Woodward, they did EARLY on in the day, almost right after the race, but it was VERY VERY brief, just mentioning that Rachel did in fact win, and held off Macho Again. In my opinion, horse racing should have its own nationwide television station, covering Harness and Thoroughbred! There are too many sports out there, for Sportscenter to put Horse Racing as one of its top priorities, and still keep their viewing capacity. Lets face it, Horse Racing isn't that popular anymore, which is VERY disappointing.

Robert Goren
09-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Go look at Markgoldie's new research project tread and its over 5,000 views. None of the RA treads come close. It is making money that peaks my interest not some over hyped fillie. I suspect the same is true of most horse players.

Valuist
09-07-2009, 11:02 AM
ESPN is an embarrassment. Today they are busy patting themselves on the back for some anniversary. Nobody else in the world cares but to them, they are the news. Almost as bad as the silly ESPY awards, which they deem important but nobody else does.

Quagmire
09-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Don't forget the Hot Dog eating contest.

OffNPacing
09-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Go look at Markgoldie's new research project tread and its over 5,000 views. None of the RA treads come close. It is making money that peaks my interest not some over hyped fillie. I suspect the same is true of most horse players.

I disagree. Some horseplayers care that history is being made. I dont BET her races, as there is no value, but to SEE history being made, nothing better.

Making Money is what horseplayers care about YES, but I can guarantee you 2 things, RA is not over-hyped, and 2, A week after you hit a couple thousand dollar hit, most at the track will forget you hit it, RA making history nobody will forget!

BTW Quagmire, Hot Dog Eating Contest is quite entertaining :lol: :lol: :bang:

Quagmire
09-07-2009, 11:28 AM
BTW Quagmire, Hot Dog Eating Contest is quite entertaining :lol: :lol: :bang:

Chestnut vs Kobayashi > Affirmed vs Alydar!! :D

Irish Boy
09-07-2009, 11:57 AM
It was one of the main headlines on the ESPN website all day, on a day when the college football season was starting.

Also: this is why attendance, and not handle, should be the main immediate focus of those looking to improve the state of horse racing. Attendance gains (or losses) replicate themselves in a way that handle gains do not. More attendance -> more advertising revenue and TV time -> more attendance and so on. Your handle fix comes later.

ENT222
09-07-2009, 11:58 AM
They did mention on RA on the ticker throughout the night as I was watching the college football games. Also this morning they showed the Del Mar win and you're in winners on the ticker. There hasn't been much if any mention of Brett Fav-ra during the most recent telecast of SC.

rrpic6
09-07-2009, 02:32 PM
If Robby Albarado had punched Rachel Alexandra in the head after the race, ESPN might have shown that. Maybe if he punched Calvin Borel...I'd say 50-50 chance.

RR

PaceAdvantage
09-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Go look at Markgoldie's new research project tread and its over 5,000 views. None of the RA treads come close. It is making money that peaks my interest not some over hyped fillie. I suspect the same is true of most horse players.I don't understand why you would involve yourself in this thread in the first place. Especially a thread in the GENERAL RACING section.

Things are clearly marked around here as to what is being discussed.

Jumping into a thread you have no interest in and telling everyone involved they suck for doing so is a little odd, don't you think?

Robert Goren
09-07-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't understand why you would involve yourself in this thread in the first place. Especially a thread in the GENERAL RACING section.

Things are clearly marked around here as to what is being discussed.

Jumping into a thread you have no interest in and telling everyone involved they suck for doing so is a little odd, don't you think? I thought this tread was about ESPN coverage of RA's race. My point was why should ESPN care about RA's race when even most horse players don't. I am sorry if I did not make this clear.

cj's dad
09-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I thought this tread was about ESPN coverage of RA's race. My point was why should ESPN care about RA's raceif when even most horse players don't. I am sorry I did not make this clear.

R u serious or just a flamer ???

ryesteve
09-07-2009, 06:18 PM
I thought this tread was about ESPN coverage of RA's race. My point was why should ESPN care about RA's race when even most horse players don't.And you're basing that on your observation that Mark's thread has 5,000 views? No disrespect to Mark, but I'd assume a good portion of those are page refreshes from the same handful of people. On the other hand, observe how many individuals have posted in the half-dozen simultaneous RA threads here, and the vitriol expressed in many of those arguments, and explain how you've come to the conclusion that most people don't care.

CincyHorseplayer
09-07-2009, 06:39 PM
I thought this tread was about ESPN coverage of RA's race. My point was why should ESPN care about RA's race when even most horse players don't. I am sorry if I did not make this clear.

Speak for yourself.You don't embody a universal set of values bub.

Java Gold@TFT
09-07-2009, 07:27 PM
I thought this tread was about ESPN coverage of RA's race. My point was why should ESPN care about RA's race when even most horse players don't. I am sorry if I did not make this clear.
Whitney Stakes pools - 825,000 in WPS, 477,000 in exacta, 313,000 in triples

Woodward Stakes pools - 1,600,000 in WPS, 1,200,000 in exacta, 1,000,000 in tris

The basic difference in the two races was that Rachel was in one and not the other. There were also 8,000 more people on Whitney day because it was the first weekend in August instead of a holiday weekend in Septmeber.

I'd say that most horse players felt strongly enough about Rachel that they bet a helluva a lot more money than they normally would. And don't even try to say the difference is the women who showed up to put $2 on Rachel. She went of at $0.30 so there were quite a few serious horseplayers who played heavily in her race. To me, that shows that serious horseplayers do care.

sarcastic answer
09-08-2009, 08:30 AM

I would not call yourself a horseplayer if you show no interest in Rachel. I would call yourself a degenrate gambler who could care less if two turtles were running or one of the best fillies we have seen in a long time!

levinmpa
09-08-2009, 08:43 AM
I have long been an ESPN basher. I cannot stand them, and never watch, except for the World Series of Poker. The rest of their programming is trash. They are a self serving corporate giant that cares only about the bottom line. I suspect there was no news about the Woodward on Sportscenter because they did not carry it live on their network. If ESPN/ABC does not cover it as a live event, it gets pushed aside. Screw them. There are plenty of other places to get sports and racing coverage. Even when ESPN does cover horse racing, I choose to watch the event tape delayed on HRTV or TVG. Yes, I'd rather watch TVG tape delayed than ESPN live. If ESPN suddenly went away, I would be cheering.

Marshall Bennett
09-08-2009, 09:54 AM
I won't say anything bad about them due to the simple fact that I watch their games all the time . Could they do a better job ? Of course . Would we be better off without them ? Hell no , not in my world . :)

OffNPacing
09-08-2009, 10:11 AM
I would not call yourself a horseplayer if you show no interest in Rachel. I would call yourself a degenrate gambler who could care less if two turtles were running or one of the best fillies we have seen in a long time!

LOVE IT lol, nice response to the situation!!!

cj's dad
09-08-2009, 12:54 PM
I have long been an ESPN basher. I cannot stand them, and never watch, except for the World Series of Poker. The rest of their programming is trash. They are a self serving corporate giant that cares only about the bottom line. I suspect there was no news about the Woodward on Sportscenter because they did not carry it live on their network. If ESPN/ABC does not cover it as a live event, it gets pushed aside. Screw them. There are plenty of other places to get sports and racing coverage. Even when ESPN does cover horse racing, I choose to watch the event tape delayed on HRTV or TVG. Yes, I'd rather watch TVG tape delayed than ESPN live. If ESPN suddenly went away, I would be cheering.

WSP - now there's a SPORT for ya !!

MickJ26
09-08-2009, 02:08 PM
I understand ESPN and where their priorities lie. My point was, would it have killed them to have shown the last furlong and the gallop out, which would've amounted to about :20 seconds or so of air time? This was a significant moment in horse racing history that deserved to be recognised.

Marshall Bennett
09-08-2009, 02:18 PM
If these questions were directed towards ESPN in a significant number , perhaps they would adjust , but I wouldn't hold my breath . As for nearly all of us here , we saw the race in its entirety so is there a need to dwell on it ?

BlueShoe
09-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Oh well,at least they have a half way decent horse racing section on their website,guess that is something.However,like everyone else,think that they really blew it by omitting coverage of the Woodward,given the huge interest in the event.

turfnsport
09-08-2009, 03:52 PM
If one of the ESPN talking heads had a catch phrase for horse racing like they do for other sports, like, “Back, back, back, back” or “Booyah!” it might have been the lead story.

BUD
09-08-2009, 04:14 PM
I guess we want ESPN to say something so we can feel we are wanted.

There are like 800 ESPN's now--I will bet on one of them they carried the story..

Last year we hear there was a segment on my Nephew to be aired on ESPN-

Oh boy! Like a bunch of freaks the whole Bud Family got together. Nothing WTF!!
We get a call from my Sister. Did you see the story:) ---My brother in law answered the phone, What F--N Story?

After a volley of confusion---It seems we were watching ESPN the main Ch?

He was on ESPN 360----ESPN is a parody of itself- wether or not they mention us we matter--Soon in about 10years it will be nnna na Espn that does't matter.

watch