PDA

View Full Version : How come i can't beat the nutjobs and the lamesters?

Imriledup
09-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Today there was a big race at Arlington and one of the favorites (wicked style) went apeyouknowwhat in the post parade. Jock was off, there were like 5 handlers trying to restrain this bucking bronco. So, what does a good gambler do? Box some tri's and toss out this horse. Yep, you guessed it, this horse slotted into a letter perfect trip and sliced me on a vicious head bob for 3rd to trash all my tickets. To add insult to injury, i thought i won the photo, so it made it just that much worse.

Yesterday at Del Mar, there was a suspicious dropper trained by Eric Guillot that was first time front bandages and looked crippled in the post parade. So, what happens when i bet against? This horse airs me out and wins by 5 and looks dead lame after the race walking gingerly back to the barn.

On Aug 15th at DMR, a colt named Pulsion (who won today at DMR) broke thru the gate. SO, what do i do? I go up and cancel my exacta box and my win and place bet. Yep, you guessed it, this horse comes steaming down the center of the track like a runaway express and misses in a bad head bob by a nose to the favorite.

Danny Sorenson rode a horse from post 10 on the turf at DMR a few weeks ago. She went nuts behind the gate, ran off the other way. They finally caught her, rammed her in the gate and guess what happened? She held on for third over a flying Baffert horse (who came back to win) and again, i cancelled my tri tickets with her on the bottom.

I didn't bet this race, but didn't that horse Germania at Saratoga cause some confusion while trying to load behind the gate? I don't remember exactly, but she might have been fussy loading and won easily at 20-1.

Can't i just get ONE of these horses to run off the board? JUST ONE? I'm not asking to win every bet, but would just like one of these horses to run up the track so i can feel smart for a change! :bang:

Overlay
09-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Sometimes I wonder about what the player loses by omitting visual inspection from the handicapping process. Maybe I can cross that question off my "to-do" list. :)

WinterTriangle
09-06-2009, 01:53 AM
So, what does a good gambler do? Box some tri's and toss out this horse.

I don't. :)

I had this discussion, and wanted to have it more in depth, on another forum.

to me, there is a visual difference between a horse who tosses rider, etc who is rank, and doesn't want to be there, and one who acts up because they are rarin' to go.

I was going to start a topic called "horses acting up" because this subject really interests me.

What I've also noticed is that when a horse breaks thru the gate, or has to be backed out, it actually upsets the rest of the horses as well, and so another horse may end up "taking the hit" from that.

But I don't auto toss horses "acting up" out. I've won on quite a few.

PS I had a small win bet on Salve Germania, I posted my ticket somewhere and told why.

Imriledup
09-06-2009, 02:03 AM
I don't. :)

I had this discussion, and wanted to have it more in depth, on another forum.

to me, there is a visual difference between a horse who tosses rider, etc who is rank, and doesn't want to be there, and one who acts up because they are rarin' to go.

I was going to start a topic called "horses acting up" because this subject really interests me.

What I've also noticed is that when a horse breaks thru the gate, or has to be backed out, it actually upsets the rest of the horses as well, and so another horse may end up "taking the hit" from that.

But I don't auto toss horses "acting up" out. I've won on quite a few.

Good response, thanks for responding.

I know what you are saying, i just think that horses who have SO much energy that they can toss some energy away acting up prerace and yet hold their own in the race. Or, maybe this was just a perfect storm, a little blip on the radar for me and this was the exception and not the norm.

When Barbaro broke thru the gate, i made a massive score betting against him. I did it without hesitation, i bet more against him than i usually bet and maxed out. Actually, if the 5th place finisher was 4th i would have made my biggest lifetime score.

I guess it depends on price, if a horse is 1-5 and breaks thru and gets reloaded, you have to bet against hard and pray.

I remember this happened in the big filly race last year at Belmont. That 'song' horse got really anxious in the gate and she made the other favorite freak out and broke thru the gate i think, and she got scratched. Than, the song horse went on to win by like 20 lengths. It might have been the acorn last year? Maybe someone can refresh my memory on which race this was, i think it was recently, either last year or two years ago.

kenwoodallpromos
09-06-2009, 05:00 AM
The same horse that acts like not wanting to race wants to get the race over fast by running fast!!

JustRalph
09-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Your talking about horses killing your tickets by running third?

Hell, depending on race shape and such........anybody can run third.............especially if they are a favorite prior to the fit in the parade.

Robert Goren
09-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Sometimes the "good" dope can cause a horse to act up!:lol: :lol: :lol:

WinterTriangle
09-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Sometimes the "good" dope can cause a horse to act up!:lol: :lol: :lol:

1) The "key" to Salve Germania was horse coming over from Europe, given first time lasix. Often a good angle for the euros if young and have never raced on it but have done some previous decent racing without it.

2) The big alarm: the trainer couldn't find a shorter race in Germany, and specifically shipped over for THAT RACE. He said this. If that isn't a trainer intention thing, I dunno what is. That's a long way to go for a shorter stakes race. ;)

Anyway, I think sometimes looking "at all the right stuff" gets you so busy we don't look at the other stuff.

So, I'd still like to get feedback on "horses acting up." I used to watch parachute malfunctions in the drop zone with my brothers, I guess I'm interested in stuff when it goes awry. :lol: But it seems that being able to TELL whether a horse acts up due to rankness, or too much energy, is important.