PDA

View Full Version : Jockeys. The TV program on Animal Planet

Imriledup
09-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Noticed something interesting on yesterday's show and i wanted to discuss this with the panel here. Unless i'm mistaken, there's been no mention of actual horse betting by the jockeys. Did Iggy and his girlfriend have NO dollars to win on his mount that won at the end of the show? Did Kristin and Chantal have ZERO dollars to win on BullyBullyBully a couple of shows ago?

Betting is what makes this sport go and yet betting is never really mentioned on this program. They make references to one professional gambler who wears a hat, but other than him, betting isn't discussed. No jockey is overheard placing a bet with a runner....do these jocks not bet one dollar ever on their mounts?

I know it would look 'bad' for some reason if a jock bet on his own runner, or, maybe jocks are not allowed to wager even if it IS on their own horse?

Mineshaft
09-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Noticed something interesting on yesterday's show and i wanted to discuss this with the panel here. Unless i'm mistaken, there's been no mention of actual horse betting by the jockeys. Did Iggy and his girlfriend have NO dollars to win on his mount that won at the end of the show? Did Kristin and Chantal have ZERO dollars to win on BullyBullyBully a couple of shows ago?

Betting is what makes this sport go and yet betting is never really mentioned on this program. They make references to one professional gambler who wears a hat, but other than him, betting isn't discussed. No jockey is overheard placing a bet with a runner....do these jocks not bet one dollar ever on their mounts?

I know it would look 'bad' for some reason if a jock bet on his own runner, or, maybe jocks are not allowed to wager even if it IS on their own horse?

I dont think they can bet.

Hanover1
09-05-2009, 05:39 PM

Its like Pete Rose betting baseball...not a good idea. Is it done? Im positive it is. Im glad they dont touch on this in the show, because if they are appealing to the casual fan, and trying to attract interest, to much can be read into wagering by jocks, even if they are on the up and up, and just want a few bucks on the nose to round out the day.... The 1-2 finish by Smith and Chantal produced a nice exacta. Think anyone played it? There are rules in place regarding wagering by jocks on the mounts, but runners are used, and its a tough rule to enforce if a jock wants a bet down. There are bookies-OTB parlors, and the use of trusty runners.

thespaah
09-05-2009, 05:40 PM

GASP!!! There's no betting on horse racing!!!!
Chalk it up to political correctness.
From what I understand, each jursidiction has their own rules.
In NJ connections can wager to win only. Unless that has changed.
There's plenty of posters in the business on here from all over the country. Perhaps a licensed owner/trainer or other employee can chime in.

kenwoodallpromos
09-05-2009, 07:16 PM
I thought jockeys get slips from their trainers.
Since a high % of parents w/ kids watch AP, no betting discussed- its about demographics.

SaratogaSteve
09-05-2009, 09:12 PM
I thought jockeys get slips from their trainers.
Since a high % of parents w/ kids watch AP, no betting discussed- its about demographics.

pretty sure jockeys, agents, valets aren't allowed to bet.

Re: no betting discussed - not exactly sure what you're referring to, but one of the repeating characters of the show is a professional gambler...

Marlin
09-05-2009, 09:41 PM
It might be different in some jurisdictions but trainers and jockeys in a certain race are allowed to bet. Only on their own horse and only to win! Of course jockeys cannot leave the room and return so I'm not quite sure how they get down.

Imriledup
09-05-2009, 10:50 PM

Re: no betting discussed - not exactly sure what you're referring to, but one of the repeating characters of the show is a professional gambler...

I understand that, but they don't really discuss the betting aspect. They'll ask their resident pro to chime in on the jocks, but there's really no betting talk. They won't show him cashing a ticket and collecting piles of money even though that's something that we want the novice player to see. Just like Poker stars on television, we want people to see the stacks of cash being paid out and they don't even talk about it.

Hanover1
09-06-2009, 12:06 AM
GASP!!! There's no betting on horse racing!!!!
Chalk it up to political correctness.
From what I understand, each jursidiction has their own rules.
In NJ connections can wager to win only. Unless that has changed.
There's plenty of posters in the business on here from all over the country. Perhaps a licensed owner/trainer or other employee can chime in.
I am licensed as both...see post.

SaratogaSteve
09-06-2009, 07:01 PM
I understand that, but they don't really discuss the betting aspect. They'll ask their resident pro to chime in on the jocks, but there's really no betting talk. They won't show him cashing a ticket and collecting piles of money even though that's something that we want the novice player to see. Just like Poker stars on television, we want people to see the stacks of cash being paid out and they don't even talk about it.

why do you want them to show the betting aspect? To me, poker is the LAST 'sport' you want horseracing to emulate. I think horseracing has so much more to offer than poker. I think you want the novice play to see the other aspects, not the fact that 9 out of 10 go home losers, like every other form of gambling.

juanepstein
09-06-2009, 07:17 PM

is it even legal to show people wagering on tv in all 50 states?

poker on tv is an entry fee to win the top prize.

Java Gold@TFT
09-06-2009, 07:22 PM
I have known a couple of trainers personally who I know for a fact bet on some of their horses. The thing is you will NEVER see them standing in line at the windows betting or cashing out. The money is always in the hands of a trusted friend or the owner. There is nothing to stop the owner from betting on his horse and many do hand over fist. I also know that one of these guys would tell the jockey before the race that he was putting a little extra something on the horse as a "tip" for his best effort. Personally I don't have a problem with it if they are betting on their own horses. I would worry if they were betting on horses in the race other than their own. I agree though thatthis show is on Animal Planet and not ESPN or TVG so some aspects of the game don't need to be examined like a 60 Minutes expose.

Hanover1
09-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Last episode it seemed Mike Smith said all the right things to Chantal, but I didnt feel any emotion there. Its like, do whatever you want, Im not gonna ask you to marry me....And Chantal act like shes not happy in SoCal either. Best she moved on imo. They did spend a bit to much time on it however....

Imriledup
09-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Last episode it seemed Mike Smith said all the right things to Chantal, but I didnt feel any emotion there. Its like, do whatever you want, Im not gonna ask you to marry me....And Chantal act like shes not happy in SoCal either. Best she moved on imo. They did spend a bit to much time on it however....

I know its just a TV show, but they didn't seem to be deeply in love. At least Mike didn't.

Pace Cap'n
09-13-2009, 12:07 AM
There's probably like one man in the country who wouldn't be interested in a relationship with CS, and, by golly, she found him.

Imriledup
09-13-2009, 12:19 AM
There's probably like one man in the country who wouldn't be interested in a relationship with CS, and, by golly, she found him.

If there is one thing more true that's ever been said on this site, i'd like to know what it is.

joanied
09-13-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't think that Mike doesn't want a relationship with CS...he does want it...but, he doesn't want a relationship that is in a constant power struggle...who wins more races...stuff like that. Let's face it...CS wants her career...period...and Mike wants a pretty much stay at home wife and he has said he wants children, something CS isn't ready for...so, they are at a stalemate...time will tell.
I also think that Mike won't show any emotion with her while they are in the jocks room...he sorta can't...he can't show any favoritism, he sure can't show any feelings for her...afterall, in the jocks room it's all business and there is no place for any of them to get all warm & fuzzy over their respective 'other half'.

Marshall Bennett
09-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Almost sounds like " As the world turns " .

LA Racing Lady
09-13-2009, 03:15 PM

Jockeys are allowed to bet only on their own horse. Valets are not allowed to bet, but many do. I personally know a lot of agents, and every single one of them bet, every race, all the time, and not just on their jockeys. Agents pump a lot of dollars into the betting pools, at every track. :cool:

miesque
09-13-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't think that Mike doesn't want a relationship with CS...he does want it...but, he doesn't want a relationship that is in a constant power struggle...who wins more races...stuff like that. Let's face it...CS wants her career...period...and Mike wants a pretty much stay at home wife and he has said he wants children, something CS isn't ready for...so, they are at a stalemate...time will tell.
I also think that Mike won't show any emotion with her while they are in the jocks room...he sorta can't...he can't show any favoritism, he sure can't show any feelings for her...afterall, in the jocks room it's all business and there is no place for any of them to get all warm & fuzzy over their respective 'other half'.

I agree you on pretty much all of the above. I am not a jockey but I am one of those females who from high school onward has been vapor locked on career and clawing my way to the top in a male dominated environment and making sure that I was as daunting an adversary as I could be. My viewpoint is a bit on the cold side because I don't think this relationship should have started in the first place. Chantal broke two Cardinal Career Rules (at least Cardinal from my perspective) (1) Don't get involved with anyone from your office (very rarely ends up positive from the woman's perspective and it unnecessarily damages your stature and how you are perceived) and in this situation the office is the jocks room. The more male dominated an environment, the more important this rule is to heading to the top. (2) Don't get involved with someone who has the same occupation that you do. Now there are some occupations where this seems to be less of an issue and relationships seem to last, physicians comes to mind. However, for the most part it creates unnecessary tension and the more competitive and cut throat the occupation, the most important this corrollary is.

Now the above may not sound fair, but life isn't fair and if you want to be a successful career woman you learn that fact very quickly and move on. There is part of me that does feel for her since she is obviously torn between having a career and having a family and I have friends that have gone through that and its no fun (never been an issue with me since I am not fond of kids). Contrary to what you are told when you are younger, you can't have it all and you make decisions based on what is more important to you.

The other thing is I think Chantal needs to get more cut throat but thats probably me and my twisted little mind that thinks that. :D

Mineshaft
09-13-2009, 04:25 PM
It might be different in some jurisdictions but trainers and jockeys in a certain race are allowed to bet. Only on their own horse and only to win! Of course jockeys cannot leave the room and return so I'm not quite sure how they get down.

wives, girlfreinds, friends, parents all it takes is a phone call

my_nameaintearl
09-13-2009, 09:25 PM
wives, girlfreinds, friends, parents all it takes is a phone call

or text message

illinoisbred
09-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Years back when Mike Smith rode in Chicago he was married to former jockey John Lively's daughter.Anyone know what happened with that?[besides of course, got divorced]

joanied
09-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Years back when Mike Smith rode in Chicago he was married to former jockey John Lively's daughter.Anyone know what happened with that?[besides of course, got divorced]

That'd be interesting to know....maybe they were just too young?

Bochall
09-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Mike Smith is playing the cool, seemingly uncaring role that men have played for years. It's our MO..."I dont need you"..."Do what you gotta do"...etc...My thoughts are that she will be back with Mike at some point. He's just too cool.

Pace Cap'n
09-14-2009, 01:36 PM

Just a guess, but maybe one of them wasn't "Lively" enough.

cj's dad
09-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Jockeys are allowed to bet only on their own horse. Valets are not allowed to bet, but many do. I personally know a lot of agents, and every single one of them bet, every race, all the time, and not just on their jockeys. Agents pump a lot of dollars into the betting pools, at every track. :cool:

Welcome to PA

JustRalph
09-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Mike Smith is playing the cool, seemingly uncaring role that men have played for years. It's our MO..."I dont need you"..."Do what you gotta do"...etc...My thoughts are that she will be back with Mike at some point. He's just too cool.

The Body language I saw from Chantel in the Airport ........says no way she goes back to him.......... I think there is a Prince Charming out there somewhere who will scoop her up in a minute........especially now that all of this has been aired on TV.

Imriledup
09-14-2009, 05:55 PM
The Body language I saw from Chantel in the Airport ........says no way she goes back to him.......... I think there is a Prince Charming out there somewhere who will scoop her up in a minute........especially now that all of this has been aired on TV.

Smith wasn't exactly portrayed as a caring, sensitive man who was a quality boyfriend. Like someone else here said, this is television and i'm sure things were spun according to a storyline, but still, it didn't seem like he was really upset she was leaving.

Also, and i know i'm getting ahead of myself here, but this was portrayed as a 'serious' relationship. If She's in Canada for months or whatever, is Mike going to stay 'faithful' to her while she's gone? Is She going to remain faithful to him also?

Makes you wonder.

I think Mike realizes how dangerous being a rider is and i don't think he wants his wife falling off horses. Would you want your wife to be making a living in a very dangerous occupation when you knew you were rich enough where she didn't have to really work?

JustRalph
09-14-2009, 06:28 PM
I think Mike realizes how dangerous being a rider is and i don't think he wants his wife falling off horses. Would you want your wife to be making a living in a very dangerous occupation when you knew you were rich enough where she didn't have to really work?

I wouldn't dare dictate in such a way to my wife.

OTIS
09-15-2009, 07:54 AM
meh.

Chantal could do much better than that little elf anyway...

seeing as this show is done by the same people who brought us such fantastic real-life drama as 'the hills' on MTV , I would take anything and everything on this show with a BIG grain of salt.

Chantal and Mike...Horse Racing's equivilent to 'Heidi and Spencer'

andymays
09-15-2009, 08:02 AM
meh.

seeing as this show is done by the same people who brought us such fantastic real-life drama as 'the hills' on MTV , I would take anything and everything on this show with a BIG grain of salt.

:ThmbUp: :D

joanied
09-15-2009, 03:54 PM
I agree you on pretty much all of the above. I am not a jockey but I am one of those females who from high school onward has been vapor locked on career and clawing my way to the top in a male dominated environment and making sure that I was as daunting an adversary as I could be. My viewpoint is a bit on the cold side because I don't think this relationship should have started in the first place. Chantal broke two Cardinal Career Rules (at least Cardinal from my perspective) (1) Don't get involved with anyone from your office (very rarely ends up positive from the woman's perspective and it unnecessarily damages your stature and how you are perceived) and in this situation the office is the jocks room. The more male dominated an environment, the more important this rule is to heading to the top. (2) Don't get involved with someone who has the same occupation that you do. Now there are some occupations where this seems to be less of an issue and relationships seem to last, physicians comes to mind. However, for the most part it creates unnecessary tension and the more competitive and cut throat the occupation, the most important this corrollary is.

Now the above may not sound fair, but life isn't fair and if you want to be a successful career woman you learn that fact very quickly and move on. There is part of me that does feel for her since she is obviously torn between having a career and having a family and I have friends that have gone through that and its no fun (never been an issue with me since I am not fond of kids). Contrary to what you are told when you are younger, you can't have it all and you make decisions based on what is more important to you.

The other thing is I think Chantal needs to get more cut throat but thats probably me and my twisted little mind that thinks that. :D

Glad you agree with me on this, Miesque...I think we have a better 'take' on this than the guys;) ...
although it's true that "we've come a long way, baby"...it's still hard for a woman to make it in a man orientated career...when I started working at Belmont Park, there were no women there, well, maybe 2 or 3 others, and it was a tough road to hoe...the men gave me nothing but grief, in one way or another...so I did what I had to...I was as tough as they were...maybe running the streets in Brooklyn:ThmbUp: helped...but I didn't, couldn't, take shit from any of them...and in fact, I have worked a few other jobs in my life that were 'men only' jobs...including working the tracks for Burlington-Northern Rail Road...you just have to be as much a 'man' as you can be to get ahead in a man's world...and if you happen to be an attractive woman...that makes it even harder (ridiculous, but true)...I can't tell you the crap Robyn Smith had to put up with 'back then'...
and I also agree... it's nearly impossible to work with your 'other half', and not have too many conflicts...I was married when I worked at Belmont...we tried one time to work in the same barn...didn't work, so we never did that again...worked out much better that way.
Now, in defence of Chantal...the man's world she works in is very small...and that she & Mike were attracted to each other might be a mistake because they have to see each other in the jock's room...but sometimes, you just can't help what you feel...and they are certainly in a bad place...on the one hand, you can't blame Mike for being concerned for her wellfare...yet, on the other side of the same coin...is she any less fearful that he might get hurt? Kind of a two way street.
It's tough on her because she has to decide what she wants...her career or Mike...it's pianfully obvious if they both stay riding, it ain't gonna work out...and is she ready to give up her hopes and dreams in pursuit of her goal? I think not. If it's 'meant to be', the relationship will endure...but I can't see either of them giving up an inch...so, I guess time will tell.
As for her 'attitude' in the jocks room...unless it was staged, she really needs to get a grip...she simply cannot be a whinner, she can't get all emotional in this business, she can't expect the other riders to give her a break, and righfully so, if she makes it to the top, it has to be because she has a strong backbone...and plenty of guts...she can't let the other riders see her upset...she has to be strong, tough and also not expect Mike to come to her rescue...she needs to get real.

Be interesting to see how it all plays out...and, I might add...making Mike the 'bad guy' in all this isn't right...he's doing his job and he is supporting her...some here think it was cold for him to tell her the truth, that if she wants to have her career, if she wants to go back to Canada, then that IS her decision to make...if he tells her to stay, her career might not be like she wants it to be, if at all, if he tells her to leave, then he's a bad guy...so, IMO, he's kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Three cheers for the Mike & Chantal Show:jump:

Hanover1
09-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Glad you agree with me on this, Miesque...I think we have a better 'take' on this than the guys;) ...
although it's true that "we've come a long way, baby"...it's still hard for a woman to make it in a man orientated career...when I started working at Belmont Park, there were no women there, well, maybe 2 or 3 others, and it was a tough road to hoe...the men gave me nothing but grief, in one way or another...so I did what I had to...I was as tough as they were...maybe running the streets in Brooklyn:ThmbUp: helped...but I didn't, couldn't, take shit from any of them...and in fact, I have worked a few other jobs in my life that were 'men only' jobs...including working the tracks for Burlington-Northern Rail Road...you just have to be as much a 'man' as you can be to get ahead in a man's world...and if you happen to be an attractive woman...that makes it even harder (ridiculous, but true)...I can't tell you the crap Robyn Smith had to put up with 'back then'...
and I also agree... it's nearly impossible to work with your 'other half', and not have too many conflicts...I was married when I worked at Belmont...we tried one time to work in the same barn...didn't work, so we never did that again...worked out much better that way.
Now, in defence of Chantal...the man's world she works in is very small...and that she & Mike were attracted to each other might be a mistake because they have to see each other in the jock's room...but sometimes, you just can't help what you feel...and they are certainly in a bad place...on the one hand, you can't blame Mike for being concerned for her wellfare...yet, on the other side of the same coin...is she any less fearful that he might get hurt? Kind of a two way street.
It's tough on her because she has to decide what she wants...her career or Mike...it's pianfully obvious if they both stay riding, it ain't gonna work out...and is she ready to give up her hopes and dreams in pursuit of her goal? I think not. If it's 'meant to be', the relationship will endure...but I can't see either of them giving up an inch...so, I guess time will tell.
As for her 'attitude' in the jocks room...unless it was staged, she really needs to get a grip...she simply cannot be a whinner, she can't get all emotional in this business, she can't expect the other riders to give her a break, and righfully so, if she makes it to the top, it has to be because she has a strong backbone...and plenty of guts...she can't let the other riders see her upset...she has to be strong, tough and also not expect Mike to come to her rescue...she needs to get real.

Be interesting to see how it all plays out...and, I might add...making Mike the 'bad guy' in all this isn't right...he's doing his job and he is supporting her...some here think it was cold for him to tell her the truth, that if she wants to have her career, if she wants to go back to Canada, then that IS her decision to make...if he tells her to stay, her career might not be like she wants it to be, if at all, if he tells her to leave, then he's a bad guy...so, IMO, he's kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

A better take than the guys? This guy has no illusions about "if its meant to be". Nothing predetermined here....The fact tha Mike wants a homebody, and she wants to roll is a no brainer. My previous comments were based on the fact that despite the fact that Mike DID say all the right things, he seemed distant and cold. Perhaps nothing more that an inability to display intimate emotions, not unlike many of us. Her goodbye to him at the airport spoke volumes...she wanted him to beg her to stay, and he did the right thing letting her go, as she was not happy anyways. No "meant to be" here, but choices amongst adults who appear selfish on both fronts imo. In the end, all you have is those close to you, no career, or material thing can come close, yet we choose this road, ala Mike & Chantal, almost exclusivly. As for it being a mans world, I though we gave up on that argument decades ago??

joanied
09-15-2009, 04:25 PM
meh.

I think you mean 'Hepburn & Tracy':) ... the thing is, OTIS...aren't they all 'elves' (small)...since they are all jockey's, they could hardly be anything but...and IMO, there ain't nothin' bad about Mike's looks...he is a good lookin' dude...oh, 'elf'.

joanied
09-15-2009, 05:27 PM
A better take than the guys? This guy has no illusions about "if its meant to be". Nothing predetermined here....The fact tha Mike wants a homebody, and she wants to roll is a no brainer. My previous comments were based on the fact that despite the fact that Mike DID say all the right things, he seemed distant and cold. Perhaps nothing more that an inability to display intimate emotions, not unlike many of us. Her goodbye to him at the airport spoke volumes...she wanted him to beg her to stay, and he did the right thing letting her go, as she was not happy anyways. No "meant to be" here, but choices amongst adults who appear selfish on both fronts imo. In the end, all you have is those close to you, no career, or material thing can come close, yet we choose this road, ala Mike & Chantal, almost exclusivly. As for it being a mans world, I though we gave up on that argument decades ago??

Some things are meant to be...and that is not being a romantic on my part...some things are meant to be in all facets of our lives...but, that is another topic altogether...
yes, it's a no brainer...she wants her career, he wants a stay at home wife & kids...as you said, it's all about choices...but sometimes it's extremely hard to choose......I don't think either is selfish, Hanover1...it's not selfish to have a goal and work hard to attain it...and, IMO, these two would only be selfish if one demanded from the other 'it's my way or no way'...actually, IMO, it's a situation where neither one is going to be completely happy...and no one knows what goes on when they are alone...
IMO, Mike has to appear cold & distant...at least in the jocks room...and again, no one knows what these two are like when they are alone...maybe Mike is a romantic push over...maybe not...we just don't know.
Personally, if I had to take a shot at their future...I would have to say I don't really see a future for them beyond dating and/or living together.

Oh...almost forgot...beleive me, this is still :eek: a man's world, Hanover1
:) :) :)

JustRalph
09-15-2009, 06:57 PM

That has got to be one of the worst insults I have ever read.....period. :lol:

Marshall Bennett
09-15-2009, 07:15 PM
I finally got around to watching the last episode today . I found myself fast-forwarding through much of it . Seems it's more of a show about jockeys and their relationships than jockeys riding horses . Trevor sounds like a fool with those fake race calls as well . I'm done , won't watch anymore . :ThmbDown:

joanied
09-16-2009, 06:35 PM
I finally got around to watching the last episode today . I found myself fast-forwarding through much of it . Seems it's more of a show about jockeys and their relationships than jockeys riding horses . Trevor sounds like a fool with those fake race calls as well . I'm done , won't watch anymore . :ThmbDown:

Oh, come on MB....it's all in:jump: fun, really...you know...silly entertainment...despite the fake calls, which drive everyone to maddness and the dramatic license they take...it's damn fun to watch:D

Sailwolf
09-16-2009, 07:35 PM

Are you a jockey at the present time in New York? I do not follow NY racing.

Sailwolf
09-16-2009, 07:37 PM

What do you do? From your discription, an investment banker?

delayjf
09-16-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm not sure if Jockey's are allowed to bet or not, but I don't think they are allowed in the paramutual area's of the track until they are done riding for the day. In SoCal trainers are allowed to be their horse - they even have a paramutual machine on the backstretch at Delmar.

miesque
09-16-2009, 08:23 PM
What do you do? From your discription, an investment banker?

Not quite, the stripped down, boring, plain vanilla generic version of what I "do" is portfolio manager.

joanied
09-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Are you a jockey at the present time in New York? I do not follow NY racing.

:confused: Not sure how you came to that conclusion, Sailwolf...but, nope...never have been...galloped and rubbed horses...but have been :( away from Belmont Park & NY for many years.
:)

schweitz
09-21-2009, 02:32 PM
After watching last week's show I'm curious, has The Pamplemousse raced since that show was taped? If not, why?

Hanover1
09-21-2009, 02:46 PM
After watching last week's show I'm curious, has The Pamplemousse raced since that show was taped? If not, why?
Im pretty sure he bowed.

Hanover1
09-21-2009, 02:49 PM
I remember when they aired the phone conversations with Chantal and her Canadian agent. He claimed he could put her up on top rather quickly. I have been checking several stakes up there of late, and she isnt even getting any mounts, much less live ones. Any thoughts on this?

joanied
09-21-2009, 03:26 PM
If Chantal isn't getting any good ones to ride up there...she either has a crappy agent, who gave her a line of BS...or the trainers don't think enough of her to put her on their good ones... IMO, she ain't much of a jockey anyway.

I don't think the Pamplemousse bowed...but I would sure like to know the status of him, and also of I Want Revenge...at least we know Pioneerof The Nile was retired...although, I have no idea what kind of injury he sustained that would call for his early retirement?

Hanover1
09-21-2009, 03:51 PM
If Chantal isn't getting any good ones to ride up there...she either has a crappy agent, who gave her a line of BS...or the trainers don't think enough of her to put her on their good ones... IMO, she ain't much of a jockey anyway.

I don't think the Pamplemousse bowed...but I would sure like to know the status of him, and also of I Want Revenge...at least we know Pioneerof The Nile was retired...although, I have no idea what kind of injury he sustained that would call for his early retirement?
Chantal was hot up there at one time, hence the move to SoCal. I think I Want Revenge injured like Pyro, and may return.

joanied
09-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Chantal was hot up there at one time, hence the move to SoCal. I think I Want Revenge injured like Pyro, and may return.

I hope IWR does come back...if he heals up and is sound, I think they'll have no choice but to race him a few more times...it'd be to their benefit once he is sent to the breeding shed...and I hope Talamo gets back on him!!

Yeah, she was 'hot' up there for a while...what trainer wouldn't give a pretty face like that a shot:lol: ...but, race riding is about skill & strength, good hands & no fear...& a good clock in the head...IMO, she doesn't have much of any of those qualities.

Tom
09-21-2009, 04:06 PM
She is in 2nd place with 93 wins.

Hanover1
09-21-2009, 04:15 PM
I hope IWR does come back...if he heals up and is sound, I think they'll have no choice but to race him a few more times...it'd be to their benefit once he is sent to the breeding shed...and I hope Talamo gets back on him!!

Yeah, she was 'hot' up there for a while...what trainer wouldn't give a pretty face like that a shot:lol: ...but, race riding is about skill & strength, good hands & no fear...& a good clock in the head...IMO, she doesn't have much of any of those qualities.
Pamplemousse had, prior to the Santa Anita Derby a "lesion" on his tendon, requiring a scratch. That is a nice way of saying he bowed. If the injury were a simple bruise, he would have been back already. Connections indicated at least 6 months of convalescence prior to return. Typical time to attempt tightening of bowed tendon. Depends on extent of tear. Horses do race with bows. Pyro had succesful return to stakes winning form after removal of chip in ankle. IWR in same boat we hope....

PaceAdvantage
09-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Every time I've watched a race from Woodbine this past week, it seems as if Chantal is either winning, or in position to win...she's getting live ones for sure...

On a side note, I missed last week's episode...and for some reason, unlike every other cable channel in existence, Animal Planet only replays an episode of Jockeys twice...once at midnight and once at 4am Saturday I believe...kind of silly...

The only other place I have found of getting the episode is iTunes...for $1.99...:lol:

joanied
09-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Well...that's good...guess Hanover1 was misinformed and I don't pay any attention to Canadian races...regardless of my opinion of her riding skills, it's still nice to know she is winning up there...if not, then she'd be sorry she left Mike in SA:D ...so, good:ThmbUp: for her...I am always rootin' for the :jump: women in this sport...regardless.

Thanks for setting the record straight, guys:)

By the way...DID the Pamplemousse bow a tendon...does anyone know exactly what that Derby morning scratch was:confused: for??

classhandicapper
09-21-2009, 07:51 PM
I was impressed by Chantal in the episode where she complained that the other jockeys trapped her on the inside and allowed one of the favorites to walk on the lead and win. She doesn't deserve special treatment, but at least she understood the race development issues and tried to make the point to the other jockeys that they were also hurting their own chances by boxing her in and not allowing her to run with the other horse. It looked like some of the guys were too dimwitted to understand the point even if they disagreed.

joanied
09-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I was impressed by Chantal in the episode where she complained that the other jockeys trapped her on the inside and allowed one of the favorites to walk on the lead and win. She doesn't deserve special treatment, but at least she understood the race development issues and tried to make the point to the other jockeys that they were also hurting their own chances by boxing her in and not allowing her to run with the other horse. It looked like some of the guys were too dimwitted to understand the point even if they disagreed.

She's been riding long enough to know about race riding tactics...like them or not, it's part of the game...she didn't need to make a point with those guys...they knew what they were doing, and sure don't need to hear about it from her, and I don't mean to seem cold here, but it's a dog eat dog world out there during a race, and she knows that, or should.
It wasn't that the other jocks seemed dimwitted...IMO they just didn't care for her whinny behavior...she was near tears, and it seemed to me, she wanted Mike to defend her, which of course, he can't do.
My opinion:)

WinterTriangle
09-22-2009, 04:39 PM
race riding is about skill & strength, good hands & no fear...& a good clock in the head...

I've thought about that, and chantal doesn't have the upper body strength of a male rider. This is what I find interesting. So, she has to over-compensate in other areas, and I've come to the conclusion she has good hands.

I never underestimate the *finesse* riders.

Bejarano, IMHO, great hands, too.

I notice that female trainers and male trainers seem to come at things from a different perspective. I know it sounds gender-biases, but there is no doubt that women and men just don't think in the same language. :) It's just a whole different perspective in many cases, anyone who is married knows that. :lol: The outcome of problem solving can be the same, but they way they arrive at it is very different.

WinterTriangle
09-22-2009, 04:47 PM
she wanted Mike to defend her, which of course, he can't do.

The personal relationship there is complex, yet not. We're back to the age-old thing where females cannot pursue certain careers as diligently as men IF they also want the "traditional" stuff like babies, etc. You can't ride preggo, and the amount of work to get back in shape after a pregnancy, esp. as you get older, for an athlete, has to be very tough!

It's a choice, of course, like all of life. I never bought into the "you can have it all" theory, so it doesn't bother me. Every decision comes with something you had to give up. Even my very BEST DECISIONS in life came with a pricetag. Some that you feel forever.

joanied
09-22-2009, 05:02 PM
I've thought about that, and chantal doesn't have the upper body strength of a male rider. This is what I find interesting. So, she has to over-compensate in other areas, and I've come to the conclusion she has good hands.

I never underestimate the *finesse* riders.

Bejarano, IMHO, great hands, too.

I notice that female trainers and male trainers seem to come at things from a different perspective. I know it sounds gender-biases, but there is no doubt that women and men just don't think in the same language. :) It's just a whole different perspective in many cases, anyone who is married knows that. :lol: The outcome of problem solving can be the same, but they way they arrive at it is very different.

I agree about the hands and finesse...Shoemaker comes to mind...and I agree too that Chantal has a way of relaxing a horse, but...always a but:) ...you also need that upper body strength...it's the power a rider needs to push that horse...Cordero was fantastic with that...not many could match his ability to push a horse that last few steps in a close finish.

To your other post, WT...ohyeah, agreed...very complicated relationship...mostly long distance, one wants kids, the other is in no hurry...and you do usually have to pay at least a small rpice for achieving your dreams/goals... no one of us knows exactly what their relationship is like in private...nor should we...but I beleive Chantal has made up her mind and will continue her riding career and if Mike is still there when she's ready, so be it...if he isn't, then she'll have to deal with any heartache that comes from loosing him.

AQUEBUCKS
09-22-2009, 05:17 PM
PA , I if you have optimum/cablevision check Free on Demand, Channel 500, Science/Nature/Animal Planet/Special Features Episodes 2-5 are available.

saratoga guy
09-22-2009, 06:02 PM
On a side note, I missed last week's episode...and for some reason, unlike every other cable channel in existence, Animal Planet only replays an episode of Jockeys twice...once at midnight and once at 4am Saturday I believe...kind of silly...

The only other place I have found of getting the episode is iTunes...for $1.99...:lol:

Full episodes are available -- free -- on the Animal Planet website:

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/jockeys/

Hanover1
09-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Well...that's good...guess Hanover1 was misinformed and I don't pay any attention to Canadian races...regardless of my opinion of her riding skills, it's still nice to know she is winning up there...if not, then she'd be sorry she left Mike in SA:D ...so, good:ThmbUp: for her...I am always rootin' for the :jump: women in this sport...regardless.

Thanks for setting the record straight, guys:)

By the way...DID the Pamplemousse bow a tendon...does anyone know exactly what that Derby morning scratch was:confused: for??
Derby scratch was reported as a "lesion" by the attending vet. Rest assure it was a tear if that was/is the quote. Cant fathom another injury, unless vet meant "swelling/heat" that would indicate any number of injuries, but they usually say as such when reporting scratch.

PaceAdvantage
09-23-2009, 04:04 AM
PA , I if you have optimum/cablevision check Free on Demand, Channel 500, Science/Nature/Animal Planet/Special Features Episodes 2-5 are available.That thought came to mind, but then I forgot about it...THANK YOU for reminding me! Good thing I didn't plunk down my $1.99...:lol:

PaceAdvantage
09-23-2009, 04:04 AM
Full episodes are available -- free -- on the Animal Planet website:

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/jockeys/Thanks for the link...

Java Gold@TFT
09-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Saw this one this morning on Equidaily:

The latest episode of Animal Planet's Jockeys series focused on the 2009 Santa Anita Derby -- particularly the story of jockey Alex Solis and The Pamplemousse -- co-owned by the jockey's son. Much was made of the disappointment surrounding the late scratch of The Pamplemousse from the race. And towards the end of the show, the running of the Santa Anita Derby was inter-cut with shots of a disappointed, but interested, Alex Solis watching the race from the jocks' room [like the vidcap above]

Small problem there [and thanks to SoCal reader Jim B for the heads-up], Alex Solis was a late substitute on Take the Points -- and was riding in the Santa Anita Derby, not watching the race from the jocks' room!

Dramatic license that goes beyond the fake race calls.

joanied
09-23-2009, 09:56 AM

Why do they feel they need to do that kind of stuff...they coulda spun it that Solis rode in the race, was still crushed by loosing the 'Mousse', yet had the fortitude to race ride on another horse...in other words, racing is full of disappointments, but the jockey's have to deal with it and ride the next race.

If this series comes back next year...I'd like to see them move it to another track...wonder how that'd fly? Belmont would be my choice...or a season at Saratoga!!

classhandicapper
09-23-2009, 10:00 AM
She's been riding long enough to know about race riding tactics...like them or not, it's part of the game...she didn't need to make a point with those guys...they knew what they were doing, and sure don't need to hear about it from her, and I don't mean to seem cold here, but it's a dog eat dog world out there during a race, and she knows that, or should.
It wasn't that the other jocks seemed dimwitted...IMO they just didn't care for her whinny behavior...she was near tears, and it seemed to me, she wanted Mike to defend her, which of course, he can't do.
My opinion:)

I agree that they knew what they were doing and didn't care for her whinny behavior. I still think they were dimwitted. :lol:

Here's an extreme example that is not comparable, but expresses the point she was making.

Imagine a race with Seattle Slew and Affirmed and the Affirmed camp entered a rabbit. Then the other jockeys boxed in the rabbit. :bang:

Would that improve their chances?

Certainly not against Seattle Slew.

OTIS
09-23-2009, 10:34 AM

again, no surprise here. maybe I should mention "the hills" again.

It is funny though, that after almost a season and a half of this show people are still surprised that a "reality" show is not exactly...uhhh... real....

this show is pretty much "paint-by numbers reality t.v."

Bochall
09-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Why do they feel they need to do that kind of stuff...they coulda spun it that Solis rode in the race, was still crushed by loosing the 'Mousse', yet had the fortitude to race ride on another horse...in other words, racing is full of disappointments, but the jockey's have to deal with it and ride the next race.

If this series comes back next year...I'd like to see them move it to another track...wonder how that'd fly? Belmont would be my choice...or a season at Saratoga!! I would love a new venue for the show also but the problems are: 1) Hollywood(studios) is in Cali so why would they travel to a venue when one is in their back yard, and the BC is there AGAIN this year...and 2) there is no other colony with more than 5 jocks who can SPEAK ENGLISH! I was watching the replays of BC past on HRTV the last few days and I have no idea what Cornelio said, what Prado said, what anyone said in their postrace interview. Ever hear an interview with Leparoux??? Impossible! Why dont they get a bilingual reporter to gallop out with them and then translate to us. Does the sport a huge injustice when every jock sounds like an idiot because they speak broken English.

JimHunter
09-23-2009, 12:20 PM
I stopped watching this program when the call took place between Chantal Sutherland and her agent. The agent would never say something like "I was just wondering if you were planning on coming up here for the racing meet which starts next week." Ok, Chantal and the agent know the deal and he would never phrase it like that. Like he really said, "I've been talking to some people and we really feel like you could be leading rider this year..." and she says "Really?"

PuhhhLeeeeaase !!!

joanied
09-23-2009, 12:56 PM
I would love a new venue for the show also but the problems are: 1) Hollywood(studios) is in Cali so why would they travel to a venue when one is in their back yard, and the BC is there AGAIN this year...and 2) there is no other colony with more than 5 jocks who can SPEAK ENGLISH! I was watching the replays of BC past on HRTV the last few days and I have no idea what Cornelio said, what Prado said, what anyone said in their postrace interview. Ever hear an interview with Leparoux??? Impossible! Why dont they get a bilingual reporter to gallop out with them and then translate to us. Does the sport a huge injustice when every jock sounds like an idiot because they speak broken English.

Good points...so I guess, eventually, the story lines will fade, since they are using only the SA jocks...and the series will end.

joanied
09-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I agree that they knew what they were doing and didn't care for her whinny behavior. I still think they were dimwitted. :lol:

Here's an extreme example that is not comparable, but expresses the point she was making.

Imagine a race with Seattle Slew and Affirmed and the Affirmed camp entered a rabbit. Then the other jockeys boxed in the rabbit. :bang:

Would that improve their chances?

Certainly not against Seattle Slew.

Well, I don't think using an 'imaginary' scenario like this one really makes much sense...the fact of the matter is, she was a whinny looser that should know better than to behave like that...especially in the jocks room...do you think those guys give a shit about where she was placed in that race...again...it's 'race riding' and if she can't deal with that, then she needs to do something else...and I don't beleive the other jocks were 'dimwitted...what makes you think that? I think their general disgust at her whinny behavior just showed on their faces...which is not being 'dimwitted'.

joanied
09-23-2009, 01:08 PM
I stopped watching this program when the call took place between Chantal Sutherland and her agent. The agent would never say something like "I was just wondering if you were planning on coming up here for the racing meet which starts next week." Ok, Chantal and the agent know the deal and he would never phrase it like that. Like he really said, "I've been talking to some people and we really feel like you could be leading rider this year..." and she says "Really?"

PuhhhLeeeeaase !!!

Agreed...that was really over the top!!!

Scanman
09-23-2009, 01:14 PM
I'd like to see them do a season covering steeplechase riders and 'chasing in general.

Imriledup
09-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I really want to love Jockeys, but i'm getting less and less interested in this program because of all the factual inaccuracies in this show. Basically every 5 seconds there's something in there that's not correct. I do like that they've seem to have gotten away from those fake Trevor calls the last couple of episodes, but there's so many things that the narrator says that just isn't true and everytime i hear one i'm like "that's not true"

I guess if it was all true it would read more like a documentary, but i feel there's really no reason to lie about things.

Or, is there?

Java Gold@TFT
09-26-2009, 04:14 PM
I'll give them some license with the BS on some facts. It is Animal Planet and not TVG (not that I'm giving them credit for accuracy). Really, the show isn't for people who love and follow the sport every day any more than Survivor is for peole who were once castaways. They have a duty to entertain people who don't understand while they play a little loose with the facts. Just accept it at face value. The one thing I didn't like was that I watched the Friday night replay at 4AM EST this morning and it was followed by some type of "uncut" shwo where they show a lot of people being attacked by animals and such. Today it was segments about racing disasters. One female jockey whose horse got spooked and dumped her and then she was trampled, another harness horse that got loose behind the gate and went straight into the stands while completely confused, another steeplechaser who took an awkward jump and flipped the jock head over tea kettle in the air. It just doesn't make sense to get people to watch Jockeys and get interested in the drama and then follow it up with the tragedies that happen even if all of the people and horses did survive the accidents. It would sort of be like showing old episodes of "Flipper" and then following it with a show about shark attacks.

Marshall Bennett
09-26-2009, 05:08 PM
I'll give them some license with the BS on some facts. It is Animal Planet and not TVG (not that I'm giving them credit for accuracy). Really, the show isn't for people who love and follow the sport every day any more than Survivor is for peole who were once castaways. They have a duty to entertain people who don't understand while they play a little loose with the facts. Just accept it at face value. The one thing I didn't like was that I watched the Friday night replay at 4AM EST this morning and it was followed by some type of "uncut" shwo where they show a lot of people being attacked by animals and such. Today it was segments about racing disasters. One female jockey whose horse got spooked and dumped her and then she was trampled, another harness horse that got loose behind the gate and went straight into the stands while completely confused, another steeplechaser who took an awkward jump and flipped the jock head over tea kettle in the air. It just doesn't make sense to get people to watch Jockeys and get interested in the drama and then follow it up with the tragedies that happen even if all of the people and horses did survive the accidents. It would sort of be like showing old episodes of "Flipper" and then following it with a show about shark attacks.
:lol: Gold star post :lol:

Imriledup
09-26-2009, 10:41 PM
They show that same clip over and over again with the jockey on the 9 horse falling off at the start and going head over heels. They also have shown Alex Solis's spill at DMR a few years ago about 50 times per show. Ok, we get it, jockeys fall off sometimes and horses fall down sometimes, do we really need to see a dozen spills per one hour show? And, its not a dozen spills, its the same 2 or 3 replays of the same spill over and over and over and over again.

As far as the inaccuracies go, why not just make it accurate? Why show the front gate of Los Al and pretend its Santa Anita? Just show Santa Anita, its not really rocket science.

Hanover1
09-27-2009, 12:17 PM
They were doing a segment on Stardom Bound and Keenland, but were filming SA, and wanted us to believe we were in LEX...lol

Hanover1
09-27-2009, 12:23 PM
I really want to love Jockeys, but i'm getting less and less interested in this program because of all the factual inaccuracies in this show. Basically every 5 seconds there's something in there that's not correct. I do like that they've seem to have gotten away from those fake Trevor calls the last couple of episodes, but there's so many things that the narrator says that just isn't true and everytime i hear one i'm like "that's not true"

I guess if it was all true it would read more like a documentary, but i feel there's really no reason to lie about things.

Or, is there?
ROFL...... :lol:

BUD
09-27-2009, 03:42 PM
They just did this movie using our closed courthouse our Nut house--Its a Beautiful castle--But its been condemed & locked--

Anyway the city wasnt the city in the movie--Who cares-Are you seriously looking for coherent truth from Hollywood types.

I remember years gone by taken my 2 when they were little to see pocahontas or whatever that movie was--Being A history major I was floored by the knowing
inaccuracies--Then they did an OT movies Disney--

Again--When they do true stuff and can't get that right--I just give up--

Am I entertained or not--Hwood Shleps don't live in the same world I live in--

Imriledup
09-27-2009, 03:48 PM
They just did this movie using our closed courthouse our Nut house--Its a Beautiful castle--But its been condemed & locked--

Anyway the city wasnt the city in the movie--Who cares-Are you seriously looking for coherent truth from Hollywood types.

I remember years gone by taken my 2 when they were little to see pocahontas or whatever that movie was--Being A history major I was floored by the knowing
inaccuracies--Then they did an OT movies Disney--

Again--When they do true stuff and can't get that right--I just give up--

Am I entertained or not--Hwood Shleps don't live in the same world I live in--
http://www.keep-your-fork.com/images/truth.png

Tom
09-27-2009, 06:02 PM
I though talking about the dangers of fillies facing the boys interlaced with gratuitous shots of horses falling that were NOT fillies collapsing fro the effort was disgusting. I find that show an embarrassment to our sport. I never watch, but it was on Friday when I turned on the tube so I watched a bit. Won't do that again. Animal Planet has de-volved into a crap network.

Marshall Bennett
09-27-2009, 07:25 PM
I admire the concept , disgusted with the performance . :ThmbDown:

BUD
09-27-2009, 10:02 PM
S what your implying is we will hit nirvana if they get the Jockey show correct--

or you telling me you dislike me that much?:confused: Or if I touch up on me theology I'll win more because God will like me better--

I was that guy in college--Gawd ppppleze----T&^*^&&^R^%$ I'll never*&Y*&*&T^& drink *&*&*&A())()(gain promiseIUIUIUIUY99**&^T&^

Bochall
09-28-2009, 11:07 AM
The Stardom Bound footage from SA and Kee was a joke. Anyone could see she was wearing two different numbers...and wow, this Denman must travel A LOT to be at every track....or is every race ever run at SA?

joanied
09-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Yes, their 'dramatic license' is starting to drive me nuts :bang: ... did ya catch the episode last week when they highlighted the Pamplemousse? They said he'd been clocked in the morning going 50 mph:eek: ...give me a break!! Why they feel the need to embellish and/or down right give ridiculous 'facts' is beyond me...

but...in this week's episode, highlighting Talamo & IWR, I was impressed by a couple of parts...when Nak & Gomez (I think it was Gomez...and I already deleted the episode) were talking to Talamo about riding in the Derby..that was great...telling him the first 100 yards were like in slow motion, and the noise level from the crowds, and it being like tunnel vision, and that all he would see is riders...everywhere...I thought that description of his frist Derby ride was brilliant...I also always enjoy everything Mike has to say...his conversation with Talamo about the Derby was spot on also...actually, I think Mike is very well spoken and a huge asset to the show.

There are many things about the show I don't like...but, hey, it is about racing...and I'll keep watching it:)

schweitz
09-28-2009, 03:47 PM
There are many things about the show I don't like...but, hey, it is about racing...and I'll keep watching it:)

My thoughts exactly.

Imriledup
09-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Bochall makes a point about the Stardom Bound footage, she was supposed to be racing at Keeneland and they kept showing her loading the gate at Santa Anita. When the race started, they DID actually show the Keeneland race, but with Trevor Denman calling it.

Another faux pas was when they were talking about C Nak and him riding Mr hot Stuff, they kept showing highlights of a Baffert Chestnut horse working out.

Why not just show the correct stuff? Why not actually SHOW Mr Hot Stuff working out?

I know that people say its just a show and it doesn't matter, but it shouldn't be all that hard to get the correct footage instead of just showing some canned footage.

In one of the shows a few weeks back, they did a thing on Jon Court riding that longshot at Churchill. They were leading up to him running in the race, they showed his wife in the stands getting ready to watch the race and then inexplicably, they showed Jon Court being led around in the winners circle and then showed the toteboard where the horse paid 100 dollars to win. THEN, they showed the race. Of course, if you were observant, you would have said "wait a minute, isn't that Court in the winners circle smiling with the tote board flashing a 100 dollar mutuel in the backround?"

I don't think this stuff is rocket science. Just show the correct stuff, have the real announcer from Keeland's call of the Stardom Bound race, no need to have a fake call from Trevor while a Keeneland race is running.

I just don't understand the need for all this misinformation to be floating around.

joanied
09-28-2009, 04:23 PM
My thoughts exactly.

Great minds think alike:D

Stillriledup
05-17-2010, 04:46 AM
Does this show still exist? I haven't seen an episode in quite some time, did they take off a year for R and R?