PDA

View Full Version : Thinking outside the box.

Ray2000
09-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Now some people who read this post will be saying ....."He's off his nut"... :)

You say you want Harness race betting to become more exciting:jump: and attract more gamblers? How about this idea.

A new type of "Win" bet, with its own pool. The difference is....
you can place your bet up to the point where the first horse reaches the 1/2 pole.

Now you have to make some quick decisions. What was the quarter time? Is there a battle going? Is there a driver tipping to the outside? Will he flush out cover? Should I go with the obvious choice or try for a price?

Skilled players will still have an advantage over the new blood which will be attracted to "the action" rather than buying a ticket and waiting ...and waiting.

You would be forced to watch the race, which would stymie the robots (for awhile anyway) and showcase the sport.

It would eliminate the problem of refunding money to backers of horses who refuse the gate.

Video wagering terminals would have to be provided to 'at-the-track' betters or bring your laptop. Video coverage would need to be updated to balloon in pointers to the racers like (NASCAR) so the announcer doesn't get shot.

At tracks with racinos, the centralized computer watching the VLTs could programmed to provide real-time info on odds.

Thousands of T-Bred horse players would be curious enough to be drawn to the "Dark Side", some would stay.

I realize this is similar to Bet-Fair's "in progress betting" where you can phone-bet at halftime in a soccer game, and maybe this idea has been floated elsewhere (and shot down), but I'll be interested in any replies.

senortout
09-05-2009, 10:51 AM
If every one gets outta their buggies at that point, has a cuppa joe and then resumes, then, yeah!

senortout

Sea Biscuit
09-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Sorry Ray can't agree with you on this one.:ThmbDown:

I really think you need a vacation badly.

Sea Biscuit

LottaKash
09-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Wow Ray, what a concept....

Fascinating idea tho....Good luck with that one, as, given "human nature",....:jump:....I think there would be a lot of fighting in the lines and at the betting terminals, with people trying to get their last bet(s) in, and all.....

best,

Sea Biscuit
09-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Wow Ray, what a concept....

Fascinating idea tho....Good luck with that one, as, given "human nature",....:jump:....I think there would be a lot of fighting in the lines and at the betting terminals, with people trying to get their last bet(s) in, and all.....

best,

Yeah John guys who know something about wrestling, boxing, kung-fu, karate would definitely have the upper hand.:lol:

Best

Sea Biscuit

LottaKash
09-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah John guys who know something about wrestling, boxing, kung-fu, karate would definitely have the upper hand.:lol:

Best

Sea Biscuit

Yeah Biscuit, they would, wouldn't they.....

And, as for Ray, I say we "pass the hat" and collect some kash, so that he can go to back to "computer camp", and get back inside the box, with the rest of us dummies....:D

best,

Hanover1
09-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Gives new life to past posting...I like it!!

Ray2000
09-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Okay, Okay....

I'll file this away with my "Free Sex for $100 Bettors" idea..:)

But something has to be done to stop the bleeding or this sport dies.

BTW
My 1/2 pole bet was strictly cyber-betting with synchronized video.. no betting lines

Hanover1
09-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Okay, Okay....

BTW
My 1/2 pole bet was strictly cyber-betting with synchronized video.. no betting lines
Thats discrimination-I should be allowed to stand at the back of the line, bus, chech-out counter, ect....fought for years for the right to be called "whitey", "cracker", "wigger","dude",non bettin ****, ect....If I dont have a computer (pawn shop at present-son has crack habit) I should be allowed to bet anyways. imo of course.

LottaKash
09-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Okay, Okay....

BTW

Hey Ray, tell me "more" about the "free-sex" thing....:jump: ....Are there any lines ?....I think I can scrape up the 100-bucks....:cool:

best,

Ray2000
09-06-2009, 01:37 PM
LOL

LK

You're worried about the lines?.........:confused:

How long are you allowed to be out of the house?:D

DeanT
09-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Ray,

I think it is a great idea!

Mike Hamilton of Woodbine tells a story when he was at a small B track with a three other handicappers. The pools were small and the racing not very good. One guy made up a game - you could bet any horse in the race, at any point of the mile, but once that horse was picked, someone else could not pick them. One player was the bank and the other three played.

So at the quarter if the chalk (#4) got a really easy lead, someone would yell "4". Then if he was going pretty fast and the second choice was in perfect position, someone would take him, and so on.

It made the game really fun and was a different way to bet. Betfair offers this on steeple chases and so on (3 and 4 mile races) and people will trade away and have some fun. We need something like that in harness racing, imo, so good thought.

Ray2000
09-06-2009, 02:35 PM
All right Dean, sounds like a fun way to bet.

Another fun type game that I've used with 3 or 4 couples who are at the track, mainly for dinner at the track restaurant, is to start a show pool parlay. 4 to 8 people ante up a buck or 2 and the 'job' to pick a show bet rotates around the table. The main rule is the entire 'pot' must be bet on 1 horse to show, no stopping. The idea is to try and find the safest show bet even if it's a $2.20 payoff. If the bet loses, another round can be started. At the end of the night, anything in the pot is split among the players.

I can tell you from personal experience, that with a few good 'cappers at the table the pot will grow to a point where someone will say, "Hey, let's take some money out of the pot and pay for dinner" ... then the real fun (and arguments) begin...:)

beaucap
09-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Does anyone remember a home game that you could bet Throughbred horses from a video tape? What you would do is watch the video of a race, starting from the odds board to the post parade. Then you make your bets. You also could buy a horse from the auction. That is all i could remember about the game. So getting back to Rays idea is maybe they should video races privately and then they could stop the race at the 3 quarters mark, and then the bettor could place another bet. I need a vacation too Sea Biscuit.

DeanT
09-06-2009, 03:19 PM
All right Dean, sounds like a fun way to bet.

Another fun type game that I've used with 3 or 4 couples who are at the track, mainly for dinner at the track restaurant, is to start a show pool parlay. 4 to 8 people ante up a buck or 2 and the 'job' to pick a show bet rotates around the table. The main rule is the entire 'pot' must be bet on 1 horse to show, no stopping. The idea is to try and find the safest show bet even if it's a $2.20 payoff. If the bet loses, another round can be started. At the end of the night, anything in the pot is split among the players.

I can tell you from personal experience, that with a few good 'cappers at the table the pot will grow to a point where someone will say, "Hey, let's take some money out of the pot and pay for dinner" ... then the real fun (and arguments) begin...:)

Bingo!!!! At the last conference I spoke about that. Forget teaching them tris and supers and odds lines, just bet some show cash and have a parlay. We used to do that all the time and it was super-fun, affordable and kept us interested (until the last race where we'd blow the money :))

LottaKash
09-06-2009, 04:23 PM
LOL

LK

You're worried about the lines?.........:confused:

How long are you allowed to be out of the house?:D

Ray, at my age, I don't even buy "green bananas" anymore...:lol:

best,