PDA

View Full Version : Pedro Martinez

melman
09-04-2009, 11:29 AM
When the Phils signed Pedro I thought it was a good move for the team as he might be able to offer six innings of work with maybe three or four runs allowed. For the most part that's what he has been doing until last night. What a performance from the "old goat". :) BTW that's what he calls himself. Seven innings pitched, five hits allowed, no walks, and 9 K's. On his first pitch of the night he allowed a home run to the Giant's hitter. The third guy up got a solid well hit double. After that it was lights out for the Giants. Granted the Giants are not a good hitting team but still it was a big game with him facing Lincecum in a game the Giants really wanted as they are in a tight wild card race with the Roks and the Roks had lost earlier in the day. That brings Pedro's record to 3-0 in five starts with two of his starts ones in which he had to be pulled due to long rain delays. Not bad for the "old goat". I tip my hat to the guy. Hope he has a few more left in Sept.

Patrick333
09-04-2009, 04:39 PM
I was against it. But I have to admit he's done a pretty good job so far. And Jamie Moyer has won both of the games that Pedro lost to the rain delay.

andymays
09-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Pedro was great in the steroid era when everyone could hit. The guy may be a jerk sometimes but he sure could pitch!

njcurveball
09-04-2009, 11:30 PM
I tip my hat to the guy. Hope he has a few more left in Sept.

I also tip my hat to him and hope you are right. :ThmbUp:

bisket
09-05-2009, 11:05 PM
you know letting moyer go was one of the orioles biggest mistakes. the next year when they won the wildcard they had 4 starters that basically had the same game. 90 mph and good curveballs. they made it to the championship series but fell to the yanks. one of their biggest strategic shortcomings was they didn't have a pitcher whose main thing was off speed stuff. basically the yankee hitters knew they were gonna get 90 mph fastballs to feast on game after game. the o's needed that one change up pitcher in the middle of their rotation to mix things up. i spoke with sammy perlozo during that next offseason and he said as much. which is why the o's signed jimmy key that next offseason, but he never really panned throughout that whole next season, and moyer just kept on winning for seattle that next year and all these years since :bang: moyer is a great pitcher.

melman
09-15-2009, 10:59 AM
NJ Curveball---Looks like Pedro still "has it". Another gem the other night. Eight innings pitched ZERO runs allowed. It's like watching an artist at work with this "old goat". Inside corner, outside corner, high strikes, low strikes and four or five different pitches. Much better than I expected when the Phils signed him. In that game the other night he threw 130 pitches and of the last 10, five of them where fastballs clocked at over 92 mhp. To me that's impressive and I think he will be pitching in the post season in some format for sure.

DanG
09-15-2009, 12:45 PM
The man could layoff for 15 years and still get people out Mel. He doesn’t need his old 95 gas to win and that’s especially true in the NL with a great ‘D behind him.

BTW: Has anyone noticed that virtually every team that made major deadline deals pulled away like Secretariat? The deal doesn’t even have to pan out especially well to have the veteran players get the adrenaline rush when they think management believes in them. With the exception of the Yankees of course who did add pieces, but already ‘went to the mattresses’ in the off season.