PDA

View Full Version : Einstein joins Stronach

FenceBored
09-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Bloodhorse quick headline:

Stronach Stables buys grade I winner Einstein
Einstein, who was purchased for his ability as a runner and his potential as a stallion, is a grade I winner this year on the main track and the turf. He captured the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) on a synthetic surface and then took the Woodford Reserve Turf Classic Stakes (gr. IT) on grass at Churchill Downs for the second consecutive year.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/52404/stronach-stables-buys-einstein

Take that Darley and Coolmore, Frank's still in the game.

joanied
09-03-2009, 12:23 PM
He has to sell off his tracks and who knows what else, his businesses are going through bankrupt hearings...yet has the $$ to buy Einstein:eek:

Glad he's still in the horse business...but, I don't get it:confused:

Fingal
09-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Believe it would be because of different business categories, & each having their own business capital & financing sources. MAGNA the auto parts company is separate from MAGNA Entertainment ( racetracks ) , which is separate from Adena Springs ( breeding & racing stable ) even though they're all owned by Stronach. I would say that's why even though Adena is tied in to horse racing, one has never heard anything about the sale of stallions or broodmares to prop up the facility side of his interests.

Steve 'StatMan'
09-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Sure hope it was for racing or breeding purposes, because this Einstein won't be any help in turning his race tracks around. :D

FenceBored
09-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Sure hope it was for racing or breeding purposes, because this Einstein won't be any help in turning his race tracks around. :D

Now that's just not fair. How many CEOs has Magna Entertainment had during the time Einstein has been in training? They keep failing and he keeps winning. Mr. Stronach could do a lot worse than Einstein in a top management position. :D

onefast99
09-03-2009, 06:24 PM
They will run him 2 or three times and then send him to the breeding shed. Hopefully one of our mares will breed to him.

JustRalph
09-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I thought he was a damn gelding.............

I can't believe he is still running............

Bruddah
09-04-2009, 09:02 AM
When I heard Stronach had bought him, it literally made me sick to my stomach. But then I thought, maybe Einstein has breeding difficulties. Why else would he still be racing at his age and success? Because he was still racing, I thought he was a gelding. :eek:

Tom
09-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Franky bought him to manage Magna for him!:D

FenceBored
09-04-2009, 11:01 AM
When I heard Stronach had bought him, it literally made me sick to my stomach. But then I thought, maybe Einstein has breeding difficulties. Why else would he still be racing at his age and success? Because he was still racing, I thought he was a gelding. :eek:

Perhaps it's because his owners were Midnight Cry Stables, aka the Fen-Phen (sp?) lawyers. What stud farm would be willing to take him on with the ownership up for grabs in a receivership.

joanied
09-04-2009, 01:47 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/stronachs-einstein-purchase-brilliant/

Part of the article:
By Ray Paulick (ray@paulickreport.com)
UPDATED (EIGHTH AND NINTH PARAGRAPH)
"There are a lot of things Frank Stronach does that I don’t like, most of them involving the structure of his public companies and how he has run Magna Entertainment into bankruptcy and many of the company’s racetracks into the ground. But when word got out that Stronach was buying multiple Grade 1 winner Einstein from the Midnight Cry Stable of William Gallion and Shirley Cunningham, the two attorneys convicted of wire fraud and conspiracy for pilfering millions of dollars from a class-action lawsuit settlement, I could only applaud the move. When I later read that Stronach said he would retain Helen Pitts as trainer of the Brazilian-bred 7-year-old, well, I started getting this warm and fuzzy feeling about ol’ Frank.

The sale of Einstein probably wasn’t an easy one, but it was in the best interests of racing to get the horse as far away from the two convicted and jailed felons as soon as possible, especially since he is racing in Sunday’s $1-million Pacific Classic at Del Mar. The sale apparently had to be approved by a judge and the attorney for the plaintiffs in a civil lawsuit filed by the people Gallion and Cunningham represented in the class-action case involving the diet drug fen phen.

Complicating matters is the fact Einstein is not a young horse, is a son of the unsuccessful and unfashionable Buckaroo stallion Spend a Buck, a front-running Kentucky Derby who may be best remembered for skipping the Preakness to go after a big bonus in New Jersey. Einstein is expected to be a very difficult sell at stud to commercial breeders. Stronach, with a huge broodmare band, is perfectly positioned to support Einstein in a way that few if any other stallion farms could, and he figures to give Einstein every chance possible to succeed as a stallion."

Way to go Frankie!!

sarcastic answer
09-04-2009, 02:23 PM
They will run him 2 or three times and then send him to the breeding shed. Hopefully one of our mares will breed to him.

Not sure why you want to breed to him? What is the appeal? His breeding is not something you would have to pay for .. would you?

FenceBored
09-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Not sure why you want to breed to him? What is the appeal? His breeding is not something you would have to pay for .. would you?

He's sounder than the dollar.
He's a multiple G1 winner on Turf.
A G1 winner on synthetics.
A G2 winner, multiple G1 placed on dirt.
He's an outcross for both Mr. Prospector, and Seattle Slew mares.
Northern Dancer in the 4th generation, so any foal would be no closer than a ? by 5 cross on him.

JustRalph
09-05-2009, 08:24 AM
He's sounder than the dollar.
He's a multiple G1 winner on Turf.
A G1 winner on synthetics.
A G2 winner, multiple G1 placed on dirt.
He's an outcross for both Mr. Prospector, and Seattle Slew mares.
Northern Dancer in the 4th generation, so any foal would be no closer than a ? by 5 cross on him.

You forgot one.............The Son of Bitch can plain Ole Run!! Rarely has tossed in a clunker and on multiple surfaces...........how in the hell can you make a case for not Breeding to him?

joanied
09-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Fencebored & just ralph...
there ya go:ThmbUp: ...I'd send a couple of mares to him in a NY minute...besides, it's already be prooven...sometimes pedigree means nada...just off the top of my head...Carry Back. And sometimes that 16 million dollar pedigree means diddley...just off the top of my head...Green Monkey!!

Ya never know til ya try:)

PS...if you look at his pedigree, there are some wonderful producers there...yes, you have to go back a few generations...but there are a lot of times when that 'back pedigree' shows up... Buckpasser, Tom Fool (he and a few others are large heart sires), Prince John, Princquillo, Nasrullah, Lypard, Northern Dancer...so despite some weaknesses in his pedigree, there are enough very strong lines there....and IMO, they obviously have showed up in Einstein...andother factor that won't show up on paper...heart & class:)

affirmedny
09-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Never thought I'd be in the position of defending Frank S. but, forgetting the disaster that his racetrack management is, he does have a top notch racing (Ghostzapper, Ginger Punch, etc)and breeding operation (Adena Springs is regularly atop many of the breeding standings). Maybe he's better when he's spending his own (not stockholders) money.

Hanover1
09-05-2009, 05:09 PM
As was pointed out-he is sorely needed outcross blood that is proven on the track. A good gamble in my book. His book should fill easily for 4-5 years. As far as the connections go, its a joke.....Fact that he handles both surfaces sweetens the pot for breeders.