PDA

View Full Version : Are there any lawyers on the forum?

FlyinLate
09-03-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm currently a 1L in law school and have a few questions regarding a pursuit of a career in law with ties to horse racing. If any lawyers have a chance, just shoot me a PM or reply here. Not asking for legal advice, just basic things about class selection, extraciriculars, and the like.

jballscalls
09-03-2009, 01:46 PM
I went to law school for a year at Gonzaga, hated it, dropped out and went to work at the horse track. Best decision i ever made!!

Show Me the Wire
09-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Not familiar with law school courses, but I would recomend, you take all the Spanish language courses you can, if you want ot represent jockeys for work visas, in drunk driving cases, for drug possession, etc. :D

Marshall Bennett
09-03-2009, 03:43 PM
I suggest using the internet . It's loaded with imformation to suit your needs . You can simply google " law " and a list will drop down to the various avenues . Every law school in the country can be found with detailed imformation . My school years are long gone , a more current undersatnding would be of benifit to you . Much has changed .

Show Me the Wire
09-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Seriously, racing is a business. Racing syndications are used for owning, breeding, etc. Take the business related courses.

FlyinLate
09-03-2009, 04:42 PM
I was just looking as to what class route to follow and what kind of clerkships I should be gearing for. I'm aware of how to utilize google. This post was more to see if any law professionals had any suggestions for a 1L who would like nothing better than to incorporate horse racing into his career.

Oh and lol @ the spanish/drunk driving comment.

jballscalls
09-03-2009, 06:09 PM
I was just looking as to what class route to follow and what kind of clerkships I should be gearing for. I'm aware of how to utilize google. This post was more to see if any law professionals had any suggestions for a 1L who would like nothing better than to incorporate horse racing into his career.

Oh and lol @ the spanish/drunk driving comment.

I know my GM at river was a lawyer, and there are other lawyers who got out of practice to work in racing. I mean other than being a lawyer for one of the tracks, there isn't a lot of need for attorneys "in the game" it's more just in the day to day stuff, like dealing with the city, state or any lawsuits.

your best bet might be just to study business law type stuff

Warren Henry
09-03-2009, 06:38 PM
You can practice all kinds of law related to horse racing. Concentrate on what you love. If you have a passion for mergers and acquisitions, you can help put together the next Churchill style organization. Like bankruptcy law, there will be a big need for your expertise. Like trial law, unfortunately, there seems to always be some folks in the game who need defense attorneys.

In ANY endeavor, one should attempt to find out what he/she enjoys and pursue something that allows them to do that thing.

jballscalls
09-03-2009, 06:41 PM
In ANY endeavor, one should attempt to find out what he/she enjoys and pursue something that allows them to do that thing.

Truer words have never been spoken. Anytime a friend or family member asks for advice about what to do for a living i say "do what you love, follow your heart and you'll never go wrong"

Warren Henry
09-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Truer words have never been spoken. Anytime a friend or family member asks for advice about what to do for a living i say "do what you love, follow your heart and you'll never go wrong"
My horse racing mentor stated it this way "It is bad enough that one has to work most of his life to make a living, so one might as well do something he/she enjoys".

witchdoctor
09-03-2009, 07:06 PM
You might want to contact Alison Rowe.

http://www.alisonrowe.com/

FlyinLate
09-03-2009, 07:59 PM
You might want to contact Alison Rowe.

http://www.alisonrowe.com/

I just wrote to her.
Thanks WD and everyone else for the advice.
Wish me luck!