PDA

View Full Version : nfl season starts soon. who's the super bowl winner?

bisket
09-02-2009, 10:19 PM
i reside in the land of the ravens, and i think they've got a legitimate shot to win the super bowl this year. last year it was just the steelers year. everything went right for them at very opportune times. i think this can't hold out for another year, and the ravens are looking as if they actually may be developing an offense. a legitimate offense coupled with the best d year in and year out in the game says they're a super bowl winner. whats everyone think?

Valuist
09-02-2009, 11:06 PM
I don't think so.

Fwizard
09-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Well the team that should have the easiest path to the playoffs has got to be the San Diego Chargers--so since they should be rested I will go with them ---My 2nd choice Indy.....

cj's dad
09-04-2009, 10:39 AM
i reside in the land of the ravens, and i think they've got a legitimate shot to win the super bowl this year. last year it was just the steelers year. everything went right for them at very opportune times. i think this can't hold out for another year, and the ravens are looking as if they actually may be developing an offense. a legitimate offense coupled with the best d year in and year out in the game says they're a super bowl winner. whats everyone think?

Ravens have a good as shot as any other team- Along with Matt Ryan, the best young QB in the NFL, Joe Flacco will only improve- Ravens D is as expected very very good. Ray looks better than ever and NT Kelly Gregg is back.
A very balanced football team IMO.

The obstacles for the Ravens to the Super Bowl in the AFC are:

Pitts- Big Ben looks beat up to me
&
NE- Brady - hurt again ?

eastie
09-04-2009, 11:02 AM

should have won it last year if not for that stupid penalty as they were driving down the field fro the winning TD against the phony Steelers.....however, the D is a year older, Flacco will have the 2nd year problems that always occur on these world beating rookies, and a tough schedule, will stop them cold. sorry.

BillW
09-04-2009, 11:28 AM
everything went right for them at very opportune times.

I think you'll find that to always be the case. Having the best team just doesn't cut it. The teams are too evenly matched.

eastie
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Well the team that should have the easiest path to the playoffs has got to be the San Diego Chargers--so since they should be rested I will go with them ---My 2nd choice Indy.....

doesn't Norv Turner still coach the lightning bolts ? next.

ghostyapper
09-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Falcons. With the development of ryan, their offense could be unstoppable. They were good enough to at least make the superbowl last year (rookie qb inexperience) and they sured up the d in the offseason and added tony g at TE

bisket
09-05-2009, 05:38 PM
eastie and cj's dad. it was just simply the steelers year last year. they made every play. i just don't see them being able to repeat because in a number of their victories good fortune was on their side. its impossible to really believe you know who's gonna win because the nfl is very unpredictable, but going in the ravens are definately more balanced then they've ever been :ThmbUp:

headhawg
09-05-2009, 06:28 PM
bisket,

To paraphrase you from a handicapping thread: It's homers like you who keep me in the black.

I'm not saying that your Ravens couldn't win it, but I'm not betting on it. I think that the Line would be about 25 to 1. I think that Flacco may suffer a sophomore slump. And isn't Derrick Mason about 60? And the Ravens D is not like the one from 2000.

I do agree with you about the unpredictability, especially this year. There are a lot of legitimate contenders as some of the 2nd level contending teams have gotten better, and the top contenders have gotten worse.

I like the Pats, but even that is too dependent on Brady's health. And personally, I don't think that he'll play all 16 games this year. And the people that like the Vikes must be smoking some good sh**. They might not win their own division as the Bears and Packers could be pretty good.

Another team I like is San Diego but eastie is right -- the Norv Turner effect. My gut feeling is that we will see a Super Bowl matchup of two fairly surprising teams. Now, if I could only predict which ones....

bisket
09-05-2009, 08:32 PM
you have to know headhawg i only wager on horseracing nothing else not even the lottery. it seems with the way the schedules are that teams with losing records play easier schedules; these are the teams who end up in the super bowl. i think this is because the league is so evenly matched that the easier schedule gives them the record to dictate things come playoff time. it may not be the team with the easiest schedule and best record that makes the super bowl, but it makes things hard enough on the winning teams that the most unlikeky team ends up winning. like your wildcard teams. i remember a few years back when the ravens offensive coordinator was still in san diego. the year after they had there breakout season. i remember they had the hardest schedule by far than any other team. they made it to the playoffs, but didn't make the super bowl. i thought they were the best team that year, but the schedule burried them.

Marlin
09-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Minnesota 37 SanDiego 19
MVP - Antoine Winfield
Coin flip = Tails
First score - Bernard Berrian TD reception
There will not be a safety
There will be a defensive touchdown

LOL :) Go Vikes!!!!!

larman
09-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Patriots are head and shoulders over every team period.

cj's dad
09-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Patriots are head and shoulders over every team period.

Head and shoulders ???? You are totally insane !!

Valuist
09-05-2009, 11:13 PM
RIght now I'd say the two most likely participants are the Pats and Giants.

eastie
09-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Minnesota 37 SanDiego 19
MVP - Antoine Winfield
Coin flip = Tails
First score - Bernard Berrian TD reception
There will not be a safety
There will be a defensive touchdown

LOL :) Go Vikes!!!!!

hey Brett Favre, i didn't know you went by the handle Marlin out here. Still hitting the bottle i see.

singletax
09-06-2009, 02:59 AM
The Steelers will be back in the Super Bowl. They are one of a few organizations that contend on a consistent basis. They were in last year with the worst punter. Now they have a Punter, a Punt returner, and more deep downfield speed on offense. The Special Teams improvement will be the edge they need.

You cannot count New England out (cameras,spying, etc.) and Brady is back. Flacco will have the sophomore jinx. SD has Norv Turner. AFC Championship will be Pitt over NE. Welker knocked out again and Ike covers Moss.

In the NFC Jay Cutler personality self destructs alienating the Bears. Romo brings down Cowboys. Plex brings down Giants. Philadelphia, GB, NO, and Ariz. remain standing. NFC Championship: Philly over the Cardinals.

Pennsylvania Super Bowl. Pitt over Philly in OT.

headhawg
09-06-2009, 09:30 AM
In the NFC Jay Cutler personality self destructs alienating the Bears. Romo brings down Cowboys. Plex brings down Giants. Philadelphia, GB, NO, and Ariz. remain standing. NFC Championship: Philly over the Cardinals.

Pennsylvania Super Bowl. Pitt over Philly in OT.The Cardinals are out as Warner will not last all 16 games. And they won't be able to find Leinart as he will be off partying somewhere.

And you say that Cutler will be a distraction for the Bears? And that whole Vick thing isn't bothering McNabb. Yeah, right. :rolleyes: Westbrook will play about his normal eight games and the RB backups? Look at the roster; what do ya see there? Not to mention that their defense is not even close to what it would have been under Jimmy Johnson.

I think that NO is one of those surprise teams that I alluded to before. A definite under-the-radar SB contender.

eastie
09-06-2009, 09:57 AM
that's the same thing they said about the saints last year, and they basically stunk all year.
to the steelers guy, who's gonna run the ball after you guys have the lead ?
and Philly ? Mcnabb's a hump,they will have to overcome that.

Valuist
09-06-2009, 10:05 AM
that's the same thing they said about the saints last year, and they basically stunk all year.
to the steelers guy, who's gonna run the ball after you guys have the lead ?
and Philly ? Mcnabb's a hump,they will have to overcome that.

The Steelers should be able to run the ball as the two backs (Parker and Mendenhall) will split the workload. Their line is better at run blocking than pass protection, anyways.

cj's dad
09-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Flacco will have the sophomore jinx.

He's better than last year !! Strong accurate arm, elusive, and very fast.

Valuist
09-06-2009, 10:12 AM
I think there's a few legit SB contenders in both the AFC and NFC and with the NFC, other than the Giants, the other two might be a little stretch:

AFC: Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Chargers
NFC: NY Giants, Vikings, Eagles

There's a number of secondary contenders who wouldn't be a shock. Here's the teams that I give no chance to reach the Super Bowl:

St. Louis, Detroit, Oakland, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, San Francisco, NY Jets, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver

rastajenk
09-06-2009, 11:12 AM
I think Carolina deserves a mention. They can run the ball, which counts for a lot late in the season.

Marshall Bennett
09-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I think there's a few legit SB contenders in both the AFC and NFC and with the NFC, other than the Giants, the other two might be a little stretch:

AFC: Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Chargers
NFC: NY Giants, Vikings, Eagles

There's a number of secondary contenders who wouldn't be a shock. Here's the teams that I give no chance to reach the Super Bowl:

St. Louis, Detroit, Oakland, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, San Francisco, NY Jets, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver
Add Houston to that list of losers . Some expect an improvement as they do every year with the Texans , I don't . :ThmbDown:

rastajenk
09-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Houston is in a division that's been tough their entire existence, it seems. They've never been able to experience the confidence-builder of pummelling some hapless division rival for a couple of easy wins per year.

Hank
09-06-2009, 02:38 PM
San Diego 27 New Orleans 31. The Saints go marching in:eek:

Valuist
09-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Add Houston to that list of losers . Some expect an improvement as they do every year with the Texans , I don't . :ThmbDown:

They aren't a strong contender but they are projected to be around .500. They have, IMO, the best WR in the NFL in Andre Johnson. And Slaton is a top 10 RB. Schaub has talent but has to stay on the field. Houston is a below the radar team and I would not be shocked at all if they got a wild card berth.

bisket
09-06-2009, 04:19 PM
He's better than last year !! Strong accurate arm, elusive, and very fast.
i'm telling you guys the ravens have an offense this year!!! if your counting on the soph jinx as pulling them down your barking up the wrong tree. flacco is a pro bowler this year ;) strike every time!!!!

Valuist
09-06-2009, 04:36 PM
i'm telling you guys the ravens have an offense this year!!! if your counting on the soph jinx as pulling them down your barking up the wrong tree. flacco is a pro bowler this year ;) strike every time!!!!

Who are the game breakers on their offense? Nobody on that offense scares any defense. Derrick Mason is a nice 3rd down possession receiver but he's no burner. McGahee has seen his best days.....I'll have to see more of Rice to make a judgement.

Valuist
09-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm coming around on the Ravens a bit. I'm handicapping the week 1 games and Baltimore had some very good team numbers. No one big RB but RB by committee worked well (148 ypg) and the Ravens and Pitt were the two top defenses in the NFL, both allowing around 80 rush yds/game and their defense limited QBs to a miserable sub 70 QB rating. Some of the other AFC contenders have defensive issues: Indy STILL can't stop the run, and the Pats and Chargers were lousy against the pass last year (90 QB rating against) I would say if Flacco doesn't slump, they are a legit SB contender.

bisket
09-07-2009, 02:47 PM
all they gotta do is run the ball, and be able to throw long at a better pctg. than last year. they just need to get some explosiveness. they're gonna suprise with their passing this year. they're recievers are better than they are getting credit for. mason will catchthe big first down passes but a few others are going to suprise. just mhop

ghostyapper
09-08-2009, 12:11 PM
all they gotta do is run the ball, and be able to throw long at a better pctg. than last year. they just need to get some explosiveness. they're gonna suprise with their passing this year. they're recievers are better than they are getting credit for. mason will catchthe big first down passes but a few others are going to suprise. just mhop

Their defense will not be as good as last year. They lost bart scott, lewis is older/slower and ed reed has that nerve/neck injury.

pktruckdriver
09-10-2009, 02:45 AM
DOLPHINS WIN IT ALL, I HOPE

IF NOT ,THEN HEALTHY PATS OR STEELER'S TEAM WINS

PATRICK

Valuist
09-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Two sleeper teams: Green Bay and Washington, at least in terms of getting to the big game.....not necessarily winning it. Washington is under the radar because of their 8-8 record last year but they just happen to play in the best division in the NFL. Green Bay was much better than their 6-10 record last year; they actually finished the season with more pts scored than given up. The Packers defense was totally decimated by injuries last year. Not sure if they are as good as their 13-3 record from 2007 but they are much better than their record last year.

Primary contenders (revised)
AFC: New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Indy
NFC: NY Giants, Minnesota, Green Bay, Washington, Philly

BetHorses!
09-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Two sleeper teams: Green Bay and Washington, at least in terms of getting to the big game.....not necessarily winning it. Washington is under the radar because of their 8-8 record last year but they just happen to play in the best division in the NFL. Green Bay was much better than their 6-10 record last year; they actually finished the season with more pts scored than given up. The Packers defense was totally decimated by injuries last year. Not sure if they are as good as their 13-3 record from 2007 but they are much better than their record last year.

Primary contenders (revised)
AFC: New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Indy
NFC: NY Giants, Minnesota, Green Bay, Washington, Philly

surprised you did not mention the Saints.....

Valuist
09-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I suppose but that division is so wide open, anyone can win. I believe they've had 5-6 years where the previous season last place finisher has gone to first. Last year, of course, it was the Falcons. THey certainly have some firepower on offense.

Zaf
09-10-2009, 10:52 PM
JETS JETS JETS, Anybody wanna give me 10000000000000 - 1 :lol:

Z

boomman
09-11-2009, 01:44 AM
Growing up in Kansas City, I am the furthest thing on earth from a Chargers fan (and especially given the fact that they're coached by NorvTurner, who IMO is one of the bottom 5 coaches in the NFL) But they have it made playing in the AFC West and I see them making the play-offs fairly easily and also figure they'll get at LEAST one home game in the play-offs. I just don't see them not winning the AFC West..........(Hope I'm wrong!) LOL:D

Boomer

bisket
09-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Their defense will not be as good as last year. They lost bart scott, lewis is older/slower and ed reed has that nerve/neck injury.
they have gone through this in the past, and still been able to do just as well. one difference is they have a new coach and lost those players. it is a questionmark.

cj's dad
09-13-2009, 06:10 PM
they have gone through this in the past, and still been able to do just as well. one difference is they have a new coach and lost those players. it is a questionmark.

Where the hell was Ray Lewis today - did he make a tackle ??

The defense gave up 17, but against a 2nd string Qb. Ugh !!

bisket
09-13-2009, 07:55 PM
i didn't have a good feeling when the new coach stated in camp that they were going to be playing more from their base defense. the thing that made the ravens defense great was they had many interchangable parts, and could line up lineman in coverage etc. i hope they'll be doing more of this in the future. :confused:

proximity
09-14-2009, 01:51 AM
it was amazing that k.c. was even still in the game towards the end.

33 first downs and 500 yards of offense for baltimore.

slewis
09-14-2009, 01:57 AM
I keep yapping how the Giants have by FAR the most talent in the NFL with a pathetic coach and todays game with the Skins proves my point.

Last season, this team failed miserably scoring TD's when in the red zone.

I guess Coughlin is either too stupid to figure out why they (he) lost last year, or just cant get creative enough to move thew ball 1 foot with what is arguably the best offense line in the NFL and top runners.

Todays win was not impressive although the D played great.

I still say with a real coach, they would win the Bowl for fun.

DanG
09-14-2009, 06:55 AM

I agree Slewis in terms of play calling. The Giant receiving corps is very weak overall and not one wide out draws a double team since Plax shot himself. Yet; when its time to milk the clock they seem to go into a throw first mentality. I guess there just trying to break trends and keep Jacobs fresh.

Quick observation on the Cowboy’s Giants next week…

The Buc’s left SO MUCH on the table against Dallas Sunday. They will need to play much sharper against NY to win. There were many opportunities that Tampa couldn’t (can't) exploit against their defense. The score was deceiving because against a Bate’s ‘D (that can’t rush the QB) the big play will always be there and it burned Tampa. Obviously; the Giants can rush the passer and not give Romo that much time.

One side note in betting trends over the years; check teams the week after playing early season games in Tampa. That stadium was a sauna yesterday and Dallas won’t get rehydrated until Wednesday.. I realize opening the new stadium will give them an adrenaline rush, but history is not kind to teams in the 4th qtr. one off a Tampa trip.

proximity
09-14-2009, 06:32 PM
. :rolleyes: Westbrook will play about his normal eight games and the RB backups? Look at the roster; what do ya see there? .

not an eagles fan, but they drafted a kid named shady mccoy from pitt.

this was a good pick.

Quagmire
09-14-2009, 06:39 PM
I keep yapping how the Giants have by FAR the most talent in the NFL with a pathetic coach and todays game with the Skins proves my point.

I guess Coughlin is either too stupid to figure out why they (he) lost last year, or just cant get creative enough to move thew ball 1 foot with what is arguably the best offense line in the NFL and top runners.

I still say with a real coach, they would win the Bowl for fun.

As opposed to the fake coach who they won the Bowl with 2 years ago?

Valuist
09-14-2009, 11:06 PM
BTW, the Ravens absolutely beat the hell out of Kansas City. The scoreboard doesn't reflect it, but they beat up the Chiefs more impressively than what Philly did to Carolina.

Over 500 yards offense and outfirstdowned KC 33-10. KC was outgained by over 300 yards and somehow almost covered. Don't see too many NFL teams pile up 500 yards and 33 first downs.

With one game still to play in the opening week, Baltimore and Minnesota have been the two most impressive teams, IMO.

cj's dad
09-14-2009, 11:18 PM
not an eagles fan, but they drafted a kid named

shady mccoy from pitt.

this was a good pick.

How'd the Bengals miss him ??

cj's dad
09-14-2009, 11:21 PM
BTW, the Ravens absolutely beat the hell out of Kansas City. The scoreboard doesn't reflect it, but they beat up the Chiefs more impressively than what Philly did to Carolina.

Over 500 yards offense and outfirstdowned KC 33-10. KC was outgained by over 300 yards and somehow almost covered. Don't see too many NFL teams pile up 500 yards and 33 first downs.

With one game still to play in the opening week, Baltimore and Minnesota have been the two most impressive teams, IMO.

Tyrell Suggs - Jarrett Johnson - and Ed Reed were on another level; and Flacco except for a lull in the 2nd qtr. played very well 26-43 300+ yds. 3 TD's/ 1 Int.

The 3 back tandem of McGahee, Rice and Mclain are punishing.

proximity
09-14-2009, 11:32 PM
not a ravens fan either, but good to see them get todd heap involved too. real good player....

eastie
09-15-2009, 01:51 AM

I wonder why the game was tied with less than 2 and a half minutes to go.:confused:
A garbage time one yard TD with less than a minute to go on a 9 yard drive to beat the spread. The game wasn't exactly a blowout as the scoreboard might reflect....

cj's dad
09-15-2009, 02:15 AM
KC blocked a punt into end-zone for TD and Flacco's lone Int. on a blown route which carried to the Ravens 1 and also led to a TD.

I never considered the game to be a blowout, but the score was close earlier due to a few freak plays.

BTW- does anyone know why the refs were wearing orange pin-stripes tonight?

They looked like they should be scoopin' ice cream @ Baskin-Robbins !!

Quagmire
09-15-2009, 07:29 AM
BTW- does anyone know why the refs were wearing orange pin-stripes tonight?

They looked like they should be scoopin' ice cream @ Baskin-Robbins !!

The NFL is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the AFL this season. They have designated some games "Legacy" games and they will be wearing the old uniforms during these games.

http://www.blogcdn.com/backporch.fanhouse.com/media/2009/09/nflofficials091409.jpg

Valuist
09-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Dumbest play of the week: it has to be the Buffalo kickoff returner. NE had just scored a TD to draw within 5 at 24-19 with about 2 minutes to play. The only question was would Belichek have the Pats do an onsides kick. The Bills sent their "hands team" in to protect against the squib kick. They elect to kick deep and the ball went about a yard and a half into the end zone. WITH NO BLOCKING TO SPEAK OF, the returner decides to play hero and brings the ball out. In struggling to get an extra yard out of the return, the ball is stripped, New England recovers, and Buffalo finds a way to lose a game they should've had wrapped up.

Valuist
09-15-2009, 08:14 AM
I wonder why the game was tied with less than 2 and a half minutes to go.:confused:
A garbage time one yard TD with less than a minute to go on a 9 yard drive to beat the spread. The game wasn't exactly a blowout as the scoreboard might reflect....

Line of scrimmage wise, it was the biggest one-sided game of the day. TIme of possession: 40 minutes to 20. Total yards: 501 to 188. I suppose all 501 yards were garbage yards? First downs 33-10. Reading between the lines, this was absolute total domination.

As for Philly, they faced a team who had a complete QB meltdown, which was the second straight time Delhomme has melted down. 5 overall picks, 1 fumble return for a TD and 1 punt return for a TD. Yes, you have to give credit to Philly for the INTS but nobody can count on on 5 picks as well as two returns for touchdowns.

cj's dad
09-15-2009, 12:33 PM
The NFL is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the AFL this season. They have designated some games "Legacy" games and they will be wearing the old uniforms during these games.

http://www.blogcdn.com/backporch.fanhouse.com/media/2009/09/nflofficials091409.jpg

Watching the Late game last night, the baseball infield meshing withe football field DID bring back memories of the AFL in the 60's. It seems like every team shared their stadium with a BB team

ddog
09-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Line of scrimmage wise, it was the biggest one-sided game of the day. TIme of possession: 40 minutes to 20. Total yards: 501 to 188. I suppose all 501 yards were garbage yards? First downs 33-10. Reading between the lines, this was absolute total domination.

As for Philly, they faced a team who had a complete QB meltdown, which was the second straight time Delhomme has melted down. 5 overall picks, 1 fumble return for a TD and 1 punt return for a TD. Yes, you have to give credit to Philly for the INTS but nobody can count on on 5 picks as well as two returns for touchdowns.

that's correct.
Only an inept performance by Baltimore kept this game from being 60-3 or some such.

I don't think the Ravens were focused - really focused on the game.
They knew KC was a cupcake and they just couldn't take them seriously.

At least for the Ravens sake that better be the case.

Kc will be lucky to win more than 2 this year as well.

Their LB and Dline are a joke for a major college team much less the NFL!

Delhomme shows the signs to me of being shell shocked.

I fear he is done as a playoff QB.

A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Valuist
09-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Ddog-

Agree that Delhomme could be finished. I can't remember a QB putting together two games that bad in a row. Of course Cutler has game # 1 down....

RaceBookJoe
09-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Well, after last Sunday...i doubt its the Washington Redskins going to the SuperBowl...and i'm not the only one who is dissappointed.....foul language warning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1O7rs6dEdY

eastie
12-12-2009, 02:31 AM
should have won it last year if not for that stupid penalty as they were driving down the field fro the winning TD against the phony Steelers.....however, the D is a year older, Flacco will have the 2nd year problems that always occur on these world beating rookies, and a tough schedule, will stop them cold. sorry.

how are the ravens laying that kind of lumber this week ?

cj's dad
12-12-2009, 06:53 AM
how are the ravens laying that kind of lumber this week ?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that but a recap of the Ravens season shows some real tough beats-

2 close losses to Cincy (1st place team)

Blown FG vs. Minn. - kicker cut mid-week and once again vs. a 1st place team

lose to Colts 17-15 (1st place team)

Lose to NE (another 1st place team) horribly called game if you are a B'more fan

Green Bay loss - tough to win there on a Monday night.

The Ravens have a weak secondary
Tyrell Suggs is an idiot and out of shape
The rookie Michael Oher is penalty prone
Joe Flacco is seriously beat up and not playing well at all

Ray Rice and Ray Lewis are the heart of the team.

The Ravens must win the next 4 and hope for the best

Detroit @ home
Bears @ home
Pitsberg away
Oakland away

3 of 4 won't do it.