PDA

View Full Version : New Mena DUI in Louisville

FenceBored
09-02-2009, 09:22 PM
I hope he gets the help he needs.
Jockey Miguel Mena — who lost out on a win in last month’s $750,000 West Virginia Derby when he missed his flight following a late night of partying in Saratoga — was arrested for driving under the influence Tuesday night in Louisville.
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090902/SPORTS08/909020403/1037/Jockey+Mena+charged+with+DUI

andymays
09-02-2009, 09:28 PM
I hope he gets the help he needs.
Jockey Miguel Mena — who lost out on a win in last month’s $750,000 West Virginia Derby when he missed his flight following a late night of partying in Saratoga — was arrested for driving under the influence Tuesday night in Louisville.
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090902/SPORTS08/909020403/1037/Jockey+Mena+charged+with+DUI

The Kid is off stride and he has a big problem that he needs to get a handle on. He sounds like he has a self destructive thing going on because this is not his first problem from drinking. Hope he works it out!

joeya
09-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Thursday afternoon update from the Louisville Courier-Journal:

Jockey Miguel Mena, who Tuesday night was arrested for drunk driving in Louisville, is off unbeaten Backtalk for Monday’s Grade I Hopeful Stakes at Saratoga.
Richard Migliore instead will ride the 2-year-old, which won Churchill’s Bashford Manor and Saratoga’s Sanford in his last two starts, said trainer Tom Amoss.

Mena’s arrest comes a month after he was a no-show for the West Virginia Derby card after missing his flight following late-night partying in Saratoga. Three of Mena’s mounts won stakes that day with other riders, including Soul Warrior in the $750,000 West Virginia Derby.

After the missed flight, Mena returned to Louisville, his hometown, to attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.

“Miguel is sick and he needs to concentrate on getting well,” Amoss said by phone. “Anybody who has been around addiction knows sometimes this is a necessary step to get well, to have things like this happen. There is absolutely no animosity there. I just want him to get well and so does the rest of the team.

“As far as Richard is concerned, we feel very lucky that a jockey of his caliber is available.”

Amoss said he was unaware that New York apparently is not allowing Mena to ride in the state. A spokesman for the New York State Racing & Wagering Board would not confirm such action has taken place, referring only to a brief statement that read: “We strive to protect the safety of all participants in racing. Beyond that we have no immediate comment.”

There has been no ruling issued by New York authorities against Mena. If that happens, the jockey would not be permitted to ride anywhere as jurisdictions honor each others’ sanctions.

Mena is scheduled to ride Friday at Ellis Park. Kentucky chief state steward John Veitch said hei s unable to answer questions on the jockey’s status in Kentucky.

“I can’t make a statement on that, because I just don’t know,” he said, adding that the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission is looking into the matter. “… We certainly can’t take any action against him unless New York does something officially. I would say at this point we’d probably talk to Miguel Mena tomorrow when he rides here, in fairness so that he receives due process before we make a decision on his ability to ride.”