PDA

View Full Version : Did I mention that OTBNYC sucked?

badcompany
09-02-2009, 02:59 PM
This is from the "If you could live near any circuit" thread."

The problem with NYC for horseplaying is that NYCOTB sucks. The way it's set up is not conducive to serious betting. I live in Manhattan and the majority of my plays this year have been made in the Saratoga Racino.

NYC OTB files for Chapter 9 bankruptcy

By PAUL POST, The Saratogian

SARATOGA SPRINGS — The state’s largest betting operation, which handles nearly $1 billion in wagers annually, will try to reorganize under Chapter 9 federal bankruptcy, Gov. David Paterson announced Tuesday. New York City Off Track Betting is nearly five months late and $14 million behind on statutory payments to New York Racing Association, and breeders won’t be getting awards checks this fall because of money OTB owes the Saratoga Springs-based New York Breeding and Development Fund. After years of criticism, with little or no action, Tuesday’s stunning move proves that OTB doesn’t work any more. "New York City OTB in my judgment was flawed at its inception, at its birth," Chairman Meyer "Sandy" Frucher said. "We have a system that competes with itself. It was bad from the start."

pktruckdriver
09-02-2009, 03:20 PM
HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO STUPID ???

WHERE IS ALL THE MONEY GOING TO,WHO EXACTLY IS GETTING FILTHY RICH, WHY REFUSING TO PAY YOUR BILLS, WHO IS IN CHARGE AND WHO OVERSEE'S THEM, AND WHY DO THEY NOT DO SOMETHING, ARE THEY SCARED, IF SO OF WHO.

ANSWER ME THESE QUESTIONS ,PLEASE

PATRICK

ps: WHAT PERCENT IS 14 MIL OF BILLIONS, AND THEY STILL WON'T PAY, WHAT FFING GREED OF THESE PEOPLE OR PERSON, THEY MUST THINK THEY ARE ABOVE THE LAW, AND SO FAR THEY HAVE BEEN...WHY??????

Tom
09-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Three words, Patrick.....New York State.

Red Knave
09-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Here's another look at the same situation. Free registration required.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/02/nyregion/02otb.html

What struck me here is the couple of uninformed references to "bookies" and also "Mr. Casey said OTB is hobbled because it is required to pay the horse racing industry and the state before covering its own expenses"

pktruckdriver
09-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Here's another look at the same situation. Free registration required.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/02/nyregion/02otb.html

What struck me here is the couple of uninformed references to "bookies" and also "Mr. Casey said OTB is hobbled because it is required to pay the horse racing industry and the state before covering its own expenses"

What expenses are more than a billion dollars, please tell me this, don't they own every otb location, and most of them are run down and antiquated, from what I hear, thou I do not know this for certain.

Sorry this just gets me rubbed the wrong way,and I DO NOT LIVE IN NY and hate the Yankee's, but this OTB stuff is ridiculous.

Patrick

badcompany
09-02-2009, 04:47 PM
What expenses are more than a billion dollars, please tell me this, don't they own every otb location, and most of them are run down and antiquated, from what I hear, thou I do not know this for certain.

Sorry this just gets me rubbed the wrong way,and I DO NOT LIVE IN NY and hate the Yankee's, but this OTB stuff is ridiculous.

Patrick

As I said earlier, it's not a place conducive to serious betting. The parlors are a haven for lowlives. No self-respecting person would want to go to one of these places.

And in an era of simultcasting, home betting is seriously lacking . You have one or, at most, two channels for what could be up to 20 tracks.

There needs to be an OTB network that gives home bettors the same feed as the parlors. I would pay for such a service.

Java Gold@TFT
09-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Three words, Patrick.....New York State.
Honestly, three words, New York City. The rest of the other 7 OTB's in the state pay their bills and don't have near the corruption of NYC and the nepotism and the stealing from the retirement funds. Yes others have had their problems but it isn't anything close to NYCOTB. The city wanted to sell them but the state took over instead and that's the only reason they are getting the bankruptsy ( bad spelling) protection.

trigger
09-02-2009, 05:40 PM
"An OTB executive speaking on the condition of anonymity said that New York City OTB could not make the payments because it needs the money to operate. However, a recent state comptroller report blamed New York City OTB’s problems on excessive operational expenses, including 25 employees making more than $100,000 annually."
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2009/August/28/New-York-City-OTB’s-debt-delays-breeder-checks.aspx

25!:rolleyes:

BELMONT 6-6-09
09-02-2009, 05:48 PM
NYCOTB is a disaster and the mayor and his cronies are mostly to blame when looking back at the political patronage that has taken place throughout the years...incredible.I have taken my money out of the phone account long ago as I have been expecting this debacle to come forth.

pktruckdriver
09-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Why are people so scared of this thing, I understand all of you , but yet no one is held responsible, where does this money go, who's getting, THE MONEY

"An OTB executive speaking on the condition of anonymity said that New York City OTB could not make the payments because it needs the money to operate. However, a recent state comptroller report blamed New York City OTB’s problems on excessive operational expenses, including 25 employees making more than $100,000 annually."

Someone must be in charge, who is paying off who, a billion dollars people, 25 people at 100k is only 2.5mil , no, where's the other 997.5 million, aren;t the building the otb is in owned by the otb, so no rent is due, really what figure is so powerful, that no one can finger him, Not the Mayor or Governor, they aren't in this are they, especially the Mayor's as they have their money, someone outside this scenario.

Maybe shutting them all down and allowing someone else to come in and start from scratch, updating them and making them safe and efficient and with the money going thru them break even point would be almost immediate, WHO CONTROLS THIS FIASCO, WHAT ONE PERSON IS RESPONSIBLE, OR WHAT COMMITTEE, AND THE COMMITTEE MEMEBERS NAMES RESPONSIBLE?????

WHY CAN'T ANYONE ANSWER THOSE QUESTIONS AND GIVE THE NAMES OF THE PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE, ARE THE PAYOFFS THAT HUGE, WELL A BILLION DOLLARS, MAYBE THEY ARE

PATRICK

sorry for screaming, please, forgive me

pandy
09-02-2009, 10:02 PM
This is all about corruption, too many executives with expense accounts, company cars, etc. I believe I read that they had 87 company cars. NY OTB has always been corrupt, I know, I did some work for them years ago, on a freelance basis, and I could tell that they were abusing expense accounts.

badcompany
09-02-2009, 10:14 PM
I would say the main difference between NYCOTB and other venues where I've been that do a good job: Meadowlands, Saratoga Racino, Billy's in Bally's AC, is that the latter feel like professionally run gambling operations, whereas, OTBNYC feels like the city run agency that it is.

Zaf
09-02-2009, 10:45 PM
I would say the main difference between NYCOTB and other venues where I've been that do a good job: Meadowlands, Saratoga Racino, Billy's in Bally's AC, is that the latter feel like professionally run gambling operations, whereas, OTBNYC feels like the city run agency that it is.

NYCOTB has always been a dump. Always was, always will be !

Z

riskman
09-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Patrick--read this article. It will give you the scope of NYC OTB operations, its financial condition and its future which does not appear viable unless major changes are made internally as well with its agreements with the state.

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/17466/dinapoli-dont-bet-on-future-of-nyc-otb/

Imriledup
09-02-2009, 11:00 PM
HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO STUPID ???

WHERE IS ALL THE MONEY GOING TO,WHO EXACTLY IS GETTING FILTHY RICH, WHY REFUSING TO PAY YOUR BILLS, WHO IS IN CHARGE AND WHO OVERSEE'S THEM, AND WHY DO THEY NOT DO SOMETHING, ARE THEY SCARED, IF SO OF WHO.

ANSWER ME THESE QUESTIONS ,PLEASE

PATRICK

ps: WHAT PERCENT IS 14 MIL OF BILLIONS, AND THEY STILL WON'T PAY, WHAT FFING GREED OF THESE PEOPLE OR PERSON, THEY MUST THINK THEY ARE ABOVE THE LAW, AND SO FAR THEY HAVE BEEN...WHY??????

GREAT POST NO TRUER WORDS HAVE BEEN SAID!

Its absolutely incredible. Illegal bookies, who are charging their customers a 5% vig, are driving around in Lexuses and Mercedes, the NYCOTB is not only charging their customers 20 pct blended, but they are taking an extra few percent off the top and they STILL CANT WIN? Are you Freaking Schlitting me?

This is the most criminal organization in America bar none. They get rid of Hazel Dukes and they STILL go into the red?

What kind of Vig would they have to charge to actually MAKE MONEY?

These people should go directly to jail.

Imriledup
09-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Hazel Dukes pleads guilty to robbing employEEs

1 (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n25_v92/ai_19986805/)
2 (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n25_v92/ai_19986805/pg_2/)
Next » (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n25_v92/ai_19986805/pg_2/)

Hazel Dukes, president of the New York State Conference of NAACP chapters and former president of New York City Off-track Betting Corporation (OTB), pleaded guilty to stealing $13,000 from an OTB employee and longtime friend.

In 1993 Velma McLaughlin gave Dukes authority to cash her OTB paychecks and to pay her bills after she became ill from cancer.

In pleading guilty to attempted grand larceny in Manhattan Criminal Court, Dukes admitted she used McLaughlin's money for floral arrangements, dry cleaning, car service, telephone bills and to pay for gifts for her friends and relatives. The New York Daily News also reported that Dukes admitted making donations to political campaigns, her sorority and the church.

Dukes, 65, will not be jailed because of her plea bargain to pay back the money by November.

After entering her guilty plea, Dukes maintained her innocence. "I did not make a mistake...My lawyer and I wanted to have some closure on this," she said.

Now living alone in a senior citizens complex in Kansas, McLaughlin, who is still ill, said she will use the money to repay debts she incurred due to Dukes.

An NAACP spokesman declined to tell the Daily News if Dukes would be removed from her position.

pktruckdriver
09-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Patrick--read this article. It will give you the scope of NYC OTB operations, its financial condition and its future which does not appear viable unless major changes are made internally as well with its agreements with the state.

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/17466/dinapoli-dont-bet-on-future-of-nyc-otb/

Riskman Thx

Thanks just more proof that everyone is too scared to do anything, isn't this a governement run a operation, where it is responsible to the people it represents is suppose tobe under scrutiny,yet thos OTB is not,it running wild blowing money, and no one, REPEAT NO ONE ,IS BEING HELD ACCOUNTABLE, WHY?

I just do not get that they still allow this to go on the way it has been ,no effort has been made to change it yet, how long the state have it, AND STILL NO MAJOR CHANGES.

Doesn't make sense at all, why? NYC really that corrupt, apparently so ,and no one has balls to stop it, fffing shame.

Patrick

Java Gold@TFT
09-03-2009, 06:51 AM
One thing that may come out of this restructuring - NYRA has wanted to take over the OTB's in NY for a while. No matter what anyon'es personal opinions of past NYRA screwups are - it makes sense. Let one entitiy governed by the NYSRWB run all of the betting in the state. I'm not sure they could envelop the harness tracks but still, you wouldn't have the TV feed debate on Long Island and you might get a more seemless betting center through things like NYRA's betting accounts.

The fact is that NYCOTB can never be shut down completely. Have you ever been in an OTB parlor in NYC? These guys are pumping in a bunch of dollars and they aren't exactly people I would expect to follow home and find computers and cable TV with TVG in their apartments. They have one outlet and that is the trashy OTB parlors where they meet their friends and bet on races while reading the drf pages tacked to the wall.

Re-organization with NYRA involved would be a good thing.