PDA

View Full Version : Programming yourself to become a winner ,is it possible?

pktruckdriver
09-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Otherwords I am seeing me in the future being able to use RDSS so easily and effortlessly that I will be winning more and more races because of RDSS, without a doubt, no maybe I will do better, but absolutely 100% become a better player because of RDSS and my understanding of it as a tool to help me win. Thats what I see in my mind, my dream/subconscious whatever you call it, basically telling/progamming me to become what I want to, and thats a winner.

I believe in self-help things like TM and Tony Robbins , Napolean Hill,etc.. seeing the future and seeing you a winner thru study and practice, because you now have the tool to win, and you then need to program your mind that you will be a winner, well I am doing that and will become a winner soon enough, like so many others here. It sounds laughable but it is not....

Are there any here who mind sharing your story on how you became the winner you are today, was it a seminar with Tony Robbins, or another Great Handicapper, or you just read this book and or that program, like Napolean Hill's PMA (positvie mental attitude) booklet, or just your own reliazation that change had to be made and you did the following and it made you a better person and a better player too?

I ask about this because I feel that to become a winner , you must be a winner in life too, you must have an attitude of a winner, your confidence must be off the charts, doubt does not exist with in you when you make your wagers, because you know you are making the best informed decision you can and that have the confidence in your ability, not doubts or second guesses, and you became that way thru the years or struggling or maybe you came into racing that way and applied your winning attitude to handicapping,this may be very few people, but I do believe it has happened for those who have this mental toughness/ability/attitude,whatever you call it they have winners personality, not that of a loser. Do you guys think this true, I do

I also think that the few who reach this plateau have no problem with trying to pass this ability on to others, teaching you and or showing you how they became people with winning attitudes and what helped them to become that way, if asked to, as they are now so happy they would love to share this with others, because it was shared to them and also they know that very few will ever actually change their ways to become a person with that winners mentality, and they do not feel threatened by trying to share it, unlike sharing a special handiacpping angle with everyone, which if known would cost them money eventually, this is different, and part of being a winner in life also, not just a winning handicapper , to share how you got there and help other to achieve what have now,that serenity of knowing you are a winner, a success in life as well horse play.

Well I am trying to attain that attitude, and boy do I have tough road ahead of me and it will not be easy nor will be that hard, and if you have any books or suggestions to help me become the winner I know that I be,then please share them as I will enternally greatful for any help in this area,which also encompassess a major life change for me, but one that must be done for me to become the winner I should be, the winner I deserve to be,and the winner I willl be. This also pertains to me as a person to , not just horses, so it also means getting my health in order, as it is a major part of my life ,I have embarked on that journey, stumbling out the gate most definetely, with a New Clam Chodwer yesterday , but I am in New England, NH actually, and it was fantastic, but I also accomplished many other important things cocncerning my health yesterday, more in one day than the last 4 years combined , too many to list here and too personal too, if interested PM me I will share with you,as I you who have achieved success will also share with me, how you did it, one step at a time, like I must do literally one step at a time, one day at a time, where'd to get the support you needed, family friends or new found associaites,because your old friends were holding you back ,how did you overcome this,see so many questions and no one to ask about them.

Well wish me luck on my attempt to journey into a whole new life changing experience as my life now needs to change, without a doubt and only I can change it, ( besides maybe hitting the lottery,lol, ) and it isn't that hard they say if you are only serious about doing it, ( I always wondered who the hell "they" were) , wellI am serious and need to change,so here I go.

Thank you

patrick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYZUhSeRYc

Tom
09-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Jim the Hat told a story of a friend of his, who looked in the mirror everyday and said out loud, "You are a winner!"

On day, the mirror answered back, "Oh, no you're NOT!" :lol::lol:

Jeff P
09-02-2009, 03:41 PM
A cheesy line said by an elf trying to explain how magic works to Tim Allen's character from the movie The Santa Claus - maybe not an exact quote but here's the essence of it:

"Some say seeing is believing. Actually it's the other way around. Believing is seeing."

It's true. At some level you have to believe you can win before you can win.

-jp

DeanT
09-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I took a programming course in grade six on my Commodore 64. I sucked, although I mastered the "list" command and could have the words "that is all I can do on this computer" scrolling down my CRT screen in green letters, in perpetuity.

So I chose "no".

If the question is about programming my mind........ I lost that years ago!

markgoldie
09-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Try Tom Hopkins "The Official Guide To Success". Now out of print but you can get used on Amazon for next to nothing. Great book and so subtle you need to read it over and over to get it all. It's not too hard to do because the book isn't that long.

Bruddah
09-02-2009, 08:45 PM
A cheesy line said by an elf trying to explain how magic works to Tim Allen's character from the movie The Santa Claus - maybe not an exact quote but here's the essence of it:

"Some say seeing is believing. Actually it's the other way around. Believing is seeing."

It's true. At some level you have to believe you can win before you can win.

-jp

I have used something simular for 30+ years. My mantra has been, In order to succeed, you must take the first step of believing you will succeed.

If you don't believe it in your "gut" it's impossible to take the first step.

Imriledup
09-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Great post PTD.

All the stuff you said will no doubt help, just recognizing that you need focus in this business is some of the battle.

I can't help but think though that if tony Robbins went into the locker room of a sports team and gave them a motivational speech for the ages, they would still have trouble winning if the other team had better players.

Getting fired up and focused is great, but it would be better, imo, to just become a great handicapper and bettor, that would be the most advisable approach to winning.

I'm not sure if you are saying you want to be a pro bettor or just a winning recreational player, but if you want to be a pro, you have to basically shut out all distractions and change your life so that horseplaying, handicapping and preparing is the only thing you do.

I guess its possible to live a well rounded life and still win, but if you can't pull that off, you have to spend more time on your craft.

I feel the most important thing that you need to train yourself to do is to make sure that bad beats and great wins don't affect what you do in the way of preparation. If you hit a 500k pick 6, you need to dive into the next day's racing form and handicap and prepare like you don't know where your next meal is coming from. If you suffer a terrible beat and get disqualified or nosed out for a bundle of money, you have to turn the page and not let if affect your brain. MUCH MUCH easier said than done, but great horse players have ice in their veins.

I know one guy who bets for a living and he's the best, he's better than anyone i know and better than anyone that anyone i know knows and the greatest thing about him is his disposition. He's the calmest guy in America. Ive seen him take hellacious beats for thousands of dollars and his expression never changes, its on to the next race. You never know if he won or lost for the day unless you ask him. He could have won a hundred grand and if you say "how did you do today" he'd be like " i had an ok day" and that's it, no bragging, no banging of the chest like king kong, none of that. Even keel all the way.

dav4463
09-02-2009, 11:38 PM
You become a winner with hard work and a little luck. I hate all the Tony Robbins and Zig Ziglar motivating crap. These guys just found a way to inspire others and make a lot of money doing nothing. If they inspire some people to work harder, then maybe it works, but if you don't have it in you to work hard....then you won't win....my opinion.

You can also work hard and still lose. Nobody is guaranteed to win...you may need a little luck along the way as well. If you work hard, you greatly increase your winning chances. Just do your absolute best and that's all you can do.

All I know is at every job or seminar I've ever had or been to; the thing I hated and dreaded the most were the "rah-rah" motivating sessions, the "I believe in myself" talks, and worst of all........ROLEPLAY! I am a low-key guy. I can do a job without all that junk! I feel like the guy on that commercial who hops a plane to get out of the roleplay type seminar!

riskman
09-03-2009, 12:03 AM
it also means getting my health in order, as it is a major part of my life ,I have embarked on that journey,
patrick

Getting your health in order at this time must be your first priority. As difficult as this may be ,you have to to come up with a game plan now, not next week or next month but now. I have read a lot of your prior posts concerning your physical condition, your work problems and health insurance issues. Without making a commitment in this area all else will not follow as you envision it at this time.
Sit back for a moment and consider what the worst problems are (or the things that cause you to feel the worst, to use different words) and write it down .
Yes there is fear, low self esteem, unpleasant emotions such as jealousy, feeling abandoned, feeling hurt, feeling trapped, feeling desperate. Do not let these emotions stop you. First things first, the rest will happen naturally once you decide once and for all that you have to get your health in order --you will feel like a new person.
When your inborn common sense can get to work and is no longer overwhelmed by all these overpowering emotions, you will also find that new ideas turn up, different ideas as to how you can deal with the situation before you. It gives you a whole new level of confidence!

startngate
09-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Read 'Shut Up, Stop Wining and Get a Life' by Larry Winget, and follow it with his 'It's Called Work for a Reason'.

I agree with dav4463 ... I hate reading the drivel put out by many of the 'self-help gurus, but Winget breaks everything down into simple things. No 'rah-rah' and 'I'm OK, You're OK' ... just a frank discussion about personal responsibility delivered in a irreverant and sometimes harsh manner. The books sometimes cut close to home, but that's the point.

nobeyerspls
09-03-2009, 11:27 AM
If I had to identify one thing that help me to succeed in life it would be one example from watching the friday night fights. It was in the early fifties and I was ten years old. In a bout between middle weights one guy kept knocking the other fighter down in the early rounds. The ref didn't stop it and the guy kept getting up round after round. I knew he was taking a beating and wondered why he just didn't stay down. Then, in a later round, he caught his arm-weary opponent with a tremendous right and won the fight. That was it. You never give up. You keep getting up and keep swinging.
When I started a business at age 37, the only way I could fail would be if they killed me. Lots of eighteen hour days, many of them after some temporary failures. Thirty years later and the business is still going strong. Others have been hired to put in their long days so I can golf or go to the track. But that's it. They have to kill you to beat you.

46zilzal
09-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Wayne Dyer explains the never give up idea in two ways.

He talks about those who give up after valiant effort and asks them: What more COULD you have done but did not do? What were you NOT willing to do? Akin to old Yoda saying "there is no TRY, only DO."

He then points out that we really don't know what we are capable of because we rarely put out a supreme effort. As an example he says suppose you are to perform, for an Olympic judging crew, after ONE year of preparation, a mid-range difficulty spring board dive and get at least 4.5 out of 6 from the judges. You probably would not put out the effort to accomplish it. But suppose again that if you did not, the judges would murder your spouse. With that MOTIVE behind you, you would have a completely different energy and compulsion to get it done. The ability to draw out that dive was there in both situations but it took the latter to bring it out.

I went through three years of medical school rejections because I did not know how the admissions "game" was played. I put those letters on the wall and had a daily exercise of sitting there at least 30 minutes repeating a mantra "you are not going to beat me." All the while I was learning the game and trying in on. It eventually worked.

I believe in the words of Thomas Edison; "...many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."

DJofSD
09-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Wayne Dyer explains the never give up idea in two ways.

He talks about those who give up after valiant effort and asks them: What more COULD you have done but did not do? What were you NOT willing to do? Akin to old Yoda saying "there is no TRY, only DO."

He then points out that we really don't know what we are capable of because we rarely put out a supreme effort. As an example he says suppose you are to perform, for an Olympic judging crew, after ONE year of preparation, a mid-range difficulty spring board dive and get at least 4.5 out of 6 from the judges. You probably would not put out the effort to accomplish it. But suppose again that if you did not, the judges would murder your spouse. With that MOTIVE behind you, you would have a completely different energy and compulsion to get it done. The ability to draw out that dive was there in both situations but it took the latter to bring it out.

I went through three years of medical school rejections because I did not know how the admissions "game" was played. I put those letters on the wall and had a daily exercise of sitting there at least 30 minutes repeating a mantra "you are not going to beat me." All the while I was learning the game and trying in on. It eventually worked.

I believe in the words of Thomas Edison; "...many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
Excellent, zz.

Those not famaliar with Dr. Dyer should take the time to research what he has to offer. While no one is completely self made, he is a very good example of what any one can do to transform themselves. He is a recovering alcoholic and has overcome it. He does not speak from a theoritical basis -- he's been there and done that.

His latest PBS program is "Excuses be Gone." Find when it is being rebroadcast. Take the three or so hours to view it. Then, and only then, ask yourself what is stopping you from being the person you want to be? Big hint: you are looking at him/her every morning when your in the bathroom.

valueguy
09-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Best book i have ever read on the subject was by Robert Anthony.(Betting on yourself) No raw raw stuff here ,just a shift in attitude .Best advise he had, was to stop thinking in terms of black or white but in terms of probilities.If you put a lot of effort into becoming a winning horse player it will most likely happen.Best suggestion i can make is to find a winning
player and do what he or she does (This will be hard work) as
nothing worthwhile comes easy.

jonnielu
09-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Otherwords I am seeing me in the future being able to use RDSS so easily and effortlessly that I will be winning more and more races because of RDSS, without a doubt, no maybe I will do better, but absolutely 100% become a better player because of RDSS and my understanding of it as a tool to help me win. Thats what I see in my mind, my dream/subconscious whatever you call it, basically telling/progamming me to become what I want to, and thats a winner.

Anything is possible, on programming, you just have to remember that garbage in - garbage out thing.

jdl

Robert Fischer
09-03-2009, 10:05 PM
George Polya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_P%C3%B3lya) problem solving method is probably the best thing I can recommend.

Excellence will not be achieved through a pep-talk. Although motivation can. You win by reaching beyond your grasp, getting hurt, and then learning from your mistakes. - And then getting your ass back up trying again with your new wisdom!

pktruckdriver
09-04-2009, 02:05 AM
Anything is possible, on programming, you just have to remember that garbage in - garbage out thing.

jdl

Thx Jon I have had that happen before, let's hope it doesn't happen again.

Patrick

Bruddah
09-04-2009, 05:45 AM
George Polya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_P%C3%B3lya) problem solving method is probably the best thing I can recommend.

Excellence will not be achieved through a pep-talk. Although motivation can. You win by reaching beyond your grasp, getting hurt, and then learning from your mistakes. - And then getting your ass back up trying again with your new wisdom!

Thanks for reminding me about Polya. As a young college student in the 60's, I did a paper on Polya. He truly was a remarkable man who employed everyday wisdom with his genius. As evidenced by your post. He new how to get to the root of problems. :ThmbUp:

BUD
09-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Im high on that sh1t--Its a mindset--Get stopped on the highway-Look at the twit who saddles the side of your car-That SOB thinks he is all that--And he does-
They teach that here to the Police-Deputy- State police etc-

Now in sports this is the all sought for ((it))

Sometimes the same ability with different confidence levels will get = results, but when the pressure mounts the one who lacks confidence exposes himself--

This to my eyes is very noticeable--We used it at work with who's gonna cuff up--Who's gonna be a female dog and fight..

Good question--I'm in the yes column

chickenhead
09-05-2009, 12:25 PM
I used to be a pretty good basketball player, I was athletic, but as a shooter I was only so-so. Then one summer before my sophomore year I blew my knee out playing a pickup game and was limited, no running allowed, so I taught myself how to shoot.

The first thing I realized that what was comfortable to me was what was wrong -- if what I was doing comfortably was right, I would be an outstanding shooter already. So the first thing I had to learn was to de-construct what I was doing. Not a slight tweak here or there, totally break it beyond any kind of recognition. It was extremely uncomfortable and difficult to do, to unlearn what comes naturally through years and years of play. Only once that had been totally discarded could I build something new in it's place.

Second was to really study what it is to shoot a basketball, the root mechanics of it, what is the perfect form. And to start building that up from the ground level. The first step involves shooting with one hand. That is the essence of the whole thing. Stripping it down to its basics requires you to do it right, there is no room for cheating.

So I shot one handed -- starting 1 foot from the rim. After 10 straight shots went directly through without touching the rim, I would take one step back, and repeat. If a shot hit the rim, I'd have to take a step forward again. I spent hours and hours, and weeks and weeks, going between 1 and 5 feet of the rim. Over time you build up the concentration required, it is difficult to perform even that simplest task for hours with constant attention each time, attention on performing it perfectly.

From the end of that summer on, I was a 90% free throw shooter, I could shoot from anywhere. I knew my shot intimately, it was hand crafted with specific intention. I had learned how to shoot, but probably more importantly, I had learned how to teach myself something.

I'm a lazy guy now, I find it hard to replicate that kind of dedication -- but there are probably some parallels to learning how the play the horses correctly in there somewhere.

banacek
09-05-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm a lazy guy now, I find it hard to replicate that kind of dedication -- but there are probably some parallels to learning how the play the horses correctly in there somewhere.

Great post, chickenhead....as usual.

fmolf
09-05-2009, 02:16 PM
I believe the human mind is a very powerful tool in any endeavor one decides to embark on.I am a very shy reserved person when i meet new people,some call me a loner.It started at an early age when i volunteered to be the goalie, then as i got older i reaklized how alone i was out there and began using a fortress mentality to succeed.I believe this has helped me in accomplishing the three hardest thingsi have ever done in my life.Quitting a 2.5 pack a day cigarette habit....10 yrs later i quit drinking ,something i did to everyday some days to excess...and becomee what i consider a successful recreational handicapper....the power of positive thinking is very real and i believe in it totally.I visualize just about everything I attemt to do in life.It works

pktruckdriver
09-05-2009, 02:30 PM
I believe the human mind is a very powerful tool in any endeavor one decides to embark on.I am a very shy reserved person when i meet new people,some call me a loner.It started at an early age when i volunteered to be the goalie, then as i got older i reaklized how alone i was out there and began using a fortress mentality to succeed.I believe this has helped me in accomplishing the three hardest thingsi have ever done in my life.Quitting a 2.5 pack a day cigarette habit....10 yrs later i quit drinking ,something i did to everyday some days to excess...and becomee what i consider a successful recreational handicapper....the power of positive thinking is very real and i believe in it totally.I visualize just about everything I attemt to do in life.It works

Congrats :jump: :jump:

We have the vices in common, I just need to conquer the weight thing, and then I will be there, where ever there is, but I will be there skinnier.

Again congrats on your success

Patrick

BUD
09-06-2009, 10:19 AM
One Great life thread-- I really like the Basketball and the hours off attention to the basic detail--Good man for sharing- I should remember this for my relearning how to walk-

crestridge
09-10-2009, 02:58 PM
A book that's always been helpful for me, is "Trading In The Zone" by Mark Douglas. It basically says, develop a method (in this case trading in the stock market, but the application is the same for handicapping horses) that produces an edge, which means some method of verifying whether your method is profitable, and develop rules for this method. You're only following the probabilities as decision makers, not emotion. Then follow the rules implicitly without waver. No emotion over the outcomes, because if you only invest when you have a edge, the long term outcomes are inevitable: positive outcomes. The three "M's", Method, Mind, Money Management. If you have a method with positive expectation and only invest in those situations, this should take care of the emotions, then develop a money management system. I might recommend Dave Schwartz HMI (the stock market system for horse players). I would also recommend JCapper as a method, because verification is the major strength of this program. Just my thoughts; I've no ax to grind with these products, I've just found them to be very helpful.

As for the weight thing, my doctor recommended staying away from starches and sugars, because all my lab works (lipids, glucose, liver enzymes, etc.) were out of "wack". I decided to take his advice and start eating mostly vegs/fruit/meat and six months later the "labs" came in good and I lost 60 lbs. Give it a try under the direction of your M.D.