PDA

View Full Version : Woodward is last start for RA??

Hanover1
09-02-2009, 01:27 PM
The TB Times is reporting today that RA may retire for the year after this start. Jackson indicated she will start again next year assuming she can return sound. In the same breath however, he left open some doors, as usual, but never has the mention of last start been so apparent as this interview. This should warm up the debate for HOY, and increase speculation on all sorts of scenarios. Something I suspect Jackson enjoys.....

46zilzal
09-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Leave early and memories will fade. Always happens. Abdicate any hope of Horse of the Year with this maneuver.

Hanover1
09-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Leave early and memories will fade. Always happens. Abdicate any hope of Horse of the Year with this maneuver.
Perhaps he is setting her up for graceful exit if she gets beat??

SmartyLane
09-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Article from Bloodhorse says nothing of the sorts. He plans on running her in the Woodward and then maybe hanging up the shoes for the year. He plans on running her as a 4-year old....also says in there that he would run her in the Beldame should the Big Z show up.

Jackson will run RA next year, you can count on that, just like they did with Curlin.

Say what you wat about Jackson, I will always like the man for keeping horses around longer then just their 3-year old season, the brilliant ones like Curlin and RA.

11cashcall
09-02-2009, 01:44 PM
"We’re not discounting any of the horses in this race,” Jackson said. “These horses are the best of their age group.”

:lol:

On the Travers: I felt Rachel could have handled the Travers. We had already defeated Summer Bird and I felt Quality Road wasn’t quite ready for her yet."

:rolleyes:

ryesteve
09-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't quite get the headline writer's summarization of Jackson's statements. When discussing post-Woodward plans, the article says, "Jackson said the Betfair/TVG Beldame Stakes (G1) on October 3 at Belmont Park would be an attractive option if Zenyatta would show up there, and he also mentioned the Jockey Club Gold Cup Stakes (G1) on the same card as a possibility. He said the Clark Handicap Presented by Norton Healthcare (G2) on November 27 at Churchill Downs would probably fall too late on the calendar."... so how does the story become "Woodward may be Rachel's Finale"??

SoCalCircuit
09-02-2009, 02:17 PM
If Jacksons still aiming for HOY it would be extremely foolish to retire her for the year after this race. The memories of her dominance 3 months from now will undoubtedly be forgotten in the midst of breeders cup prep and the BC itself. Meanwhile, Gio Ponti will be winning his SIXTH G1 WIN against the toughest competition in the world at the cup. Even Zenyatta will be throwing together her fifth win in the Distaff most likely. Hmm not smart on Jacksons part, and hes a smart guy, so Im gonna take this with a grain of salt.

cj
09-02-2009, 02:27 PM

First, as pointed out, the headline was a big stretch. Second, if she wins the Woodward, it is a done deal if she never races again. She is Horse of the Year. She has a very good chance even in the unlikely event she loses the Woodward, but it would then leave the door open for Zenyatta or Geo Ponti. Even two more wins by Zenyatta, if the second is in the Distaff, isn't enough.

SoCalCircuit
09-02-2009, 02:42 PM
If RA races poorly at the woodward (i.e. doesnt hit the board), I think shell definitely race again, because Jackson wont want her to end the year on such a poor note. But if she does run say first or second and does decide to call it a year, it will create an interesting situation from Ponti and Zenyattas connections. Specifically Zenyatta, because I dont really think Gio Ponti's connections will want to run him on the "dirt" for the BCC. Zenyatta, however, could go all-in and try to win the BCC and make it a very close race for HOY as well as seal Zenyattas legacy. It'll be interesting to see if Z's connection decide to put all their chips into that one race, or keep playing conservative and run in the Distaff which will be a lock at SA

Hanover1
09-02-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't quite get the headline writer's summarization of Jackson's statements. When discussing post-Woodward plans, the article says, "Jackson said the Betfair/TVG Beldame Stakes (G1) on October 3 at Belmont Park would be an attractive option if Zenyatta would show up there, and he also mentioned the Jockey Club Gold Cup Stakes (G1) on the same card as a possibility. He said the Clark Handicap Presented by Norton Healthcare (G2) on November 27 at Churchill Downs would probably fall too late on the calendar."... so how does the story become "Woodward may be Rachel's Finale"??
Log onto TB Times for your own summation of his comments. He does indeed allude to this being her last race........

Hanover1
09-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Article from Bloodhorse says nothing of the sorts. He plans on running her in the Woodward and then maybe hanging up the shoes for the year. He plans on running her as a 4-year old....also says in there that he would run her in the Beldame should the Big Z show up.

Jackson will run RA next year, you can count on that, just like they did with Curlin.

Say what you wat about Jackson, I will always like the man for keeping horses around longer then just their 3-year old season, the brilliant ones like Curlin and RA.
So it says something of the sort "maybe hanging up the shoes"?? Hardly NOTHING of the sort, but alluding to her last start of the year as the Woodward. Does Jackson not leave all options open here?? (except polycrap)

bisket
09-02-2009, 03:29 PM
if the woodward is her last race; hoy is not a definate. i think if zen loses and ponti doesn't come through in the cup rachel is a cinch, but theres a number of ways rachel would not be hoy at the end of the year if she hangs it up for the year after the woodward. if she does one of two things she's a definate. if she races and beats zen in the beldame she's hoy or if she races and wins the jcgc she's hoy.

46zilzal
09-02-2009, 03:32 PM
HISTORICAL precedent, unless there is injury, voters have a short memory in these votes and the YEAR END CHAMPIONSHIP contests count triple.

ryesteve
09-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Log onto TB Times for your own summation of his comments. He does indeed allude to this being her last race........Obviously I already did... that's where I got the quote from. If you just read Jackson's direct quotes and ignore the headline and the author's interpretation of what he thinks Jackson is saying, there's no way you'd come away thinking the Woodward is her last race.

SoCalCircuit
09-02-2009, 03:42 PM
HISTORICAL precedent, unless there is injury, voters have a short memory in these votes and the YEAR END CHAMPIONSHIP contests count triple.

This is so true, and I mentioned once before the number of horses who have been healthy enough to run in a BC race but have chosen not to do so and have gone on to win HOY is VERY slim. A healthy horse calling it quits in early september, when there are two other VERY live horses competing through november? Not the smartest decision if HOY is really part of Jacksons plan with RA

46zilzal
09-02-2009, 03:45 PM
This is so true, and I mentioned once before the number of horses who have been healthy enough to run in a BC race but have chosen not to do so and have gone on to win HOY is VERY slim. A healthy horse calling it quits in early september, when there are two other VERY live horses competing through november? Not the smartest decision if HOY is really part of Jacksons plan with RA
Even when they LOSE, at least putting in the PLACE to challenge for the championship goes a very long way with voters as Aldebaran for one showed.

Now if the horse is injured, let's say a Smarty Jones or Afleet Alex, that is something else again. Do yo think, IF there had been a Breeder's Cup, a horse like Forego would stay home? Cigar was valiant in defeat as well.

Steve R
09-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Can someone explain why, at this time of the year, Zenyatta is an assumed Horese-of-the-Year candidate. Three races against inferior competition on the same racing circuit with Beyer Figures of 103, 104 and 99 is hardly a championship campaign. And unless she makes a huge step forward she has no prayer in the BCC and certainly not against Rachel Alexandra in any race. If Summer Bird wins the JCGC and BBC (not likely), he could challenge, but that's about it. Can Gio Ponti beat the better Euros? Possibly, although I doubt it.

SoCalCircuit
09-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Even when they LOSE, at least putting in the PLACE to challenge for the championship goes a very long way with voters as Aldebaran for one showed.

Now if the horse is injured, let's say a Smarty Jones or Afleet Alex, that is something else again. Do yo think, IF there had been a Breeder's Cup, a horse like Forego would stay home? Cigar was valiant in defeat as well.

Even Curlin last year. The voters consider all aspects and understood that Curlins connections were experimenting with the synthetic surface, and he was obviously rewarded for atleast making an attempt.

As for Zenyatta, she has a very outside chance at HOY which would require her to either beat RA (unlikely, especially with this possibly being RA's last race), or winning the BCC (possible, she knows that track better than any of the other entrants) Summer bird is likely too little too late, and would require a win in the JCGC and BCC. Gio Ponti I feel right now is equally as deserving as HOY as RA is, and if he beats the Euros in any BC race, deserves to be HOY. Talk about a competitive schedule, Ponti's connections have been the LEAST conservative of any of the other canditates, sending him wherever the top turf horses are running, not worried about distance or other competitors. They've experimented and won with the "dirt" It sucks the turf horses get no respect in this country. I'm not sure most people realize that 4 G1 wins in a row on turf is far greater an accomplishment than the same on dirt

46zilzal
09-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Simple IF Zenyatta runs well in the BC Classic (doesn't even have to win it) and RA stays on the sidelines, many votes will shift just for their having TRIED the best and it is on HER best surface.

Wickel
09-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Can someone explain why, at this time of the year, Zenyatta is an assumed Horese-of-the-Year candidate. Three races against inferior competition on the same racing circuit with Beyer Figures of 103, 104 and 99 is hardly a championship campaign. And unless she makes a huge step forward she has no prayer in the BCC and certainly not against Rachel Alexandra in any race. If Summer Bird wins the JCGC and BBC (not likely), he could challenge, but that's about it. Can Gio Ponti beat the better Euros? Possibly, although I doubt it.

Talk about inferior fields. RA beat absolutely nothing in the Kentucky Oaks; clobbered all the second-tier "boys" in the Preakness (except for Mine That Bird, who would have won had he not encountered traffic problems at the top of the lane); then beat three filly claimers in a four-horse field and topped it off with a win over distance-challenged colts in the Haskell.

She hasn't even faced the best in her own division--Icon Project, Careless Jewell and the star of them all--Stardom Bound. And, on top of that, she's dodging Zenyatta. The Breeders Cup is a series of race for champions. Be there and prove your mettle--on whatever surface--or lament forever.

BlueShoe
09-02-2009, 04:20 PM
The weather forecast(Accuweather) for the rest of the week is mostly sunny and dry,with no rain expected.That means that we get a fast track this Saturday for the big race.

Hanover1
09-02-2009, 04:23 PM
I dont think anyone really thinks Zen has a shot. Summer Bird "could" be considered a strong contender if he wins JCGC and BCC, but RA is probably favorite as of "now". Much racing yet to do. I would think 1 more after the Woodward myself if she is fit, but Jackson does allude to her tough campaign, and deserving several months off. If he plans on HOY, she may have to start again, unless she dominates Woodward, then he may pull a "She has nothing left to prove" deal, and may be right.

Pell Mell
09-02-2009, 04:26 PM
As of now I don't believe anyone can beat Summer bird at 1 1/4 or more. He will win his next two and later may follow in Sec's path and try the weeds where I feel he will be even better.

He's a big kid just starting to mature and will only get better.;)

46zilzal
09-02-2009, 04:30 PM
As of now I don't believe anyone can beat Summer bird at 1 1/4 or more. He will win his next two and later may follow in Sec's path and try the weeds where I feel he will be even better.

That one COULD, if continuing to be prominent, be the sleeper for HOY

SoCalCircuit
09-02-2009, 04:36 PM
SB definitely has a slim outside chance. Can't fault the strength and difficulty of his races, with the KD, Belmont Stakes, Haskell, and Travers

bisket
09-02-2009, 04:39 PM
if zen wins the classic and rachel calls it quites after woodward. zen is hoy. i know its on poly, but the classic will be a much tougher race to win than woodward. plain and simple. she races in the jcgc and wins she's got it hands down. incidentally if i were you i'd totally disregard beyers when handicapping race on poly.

Hanover1
09-02-2009, 05:01 PM
if zen wins the classic and rachel calls it quites after woodward. zen is hoy. i know its on poly, but the classic will be a much tougher race to win than woodward. plain and simple. she races in the jcgc and wins she's got it hands down. incidentally if i were you i'd totally disregard beyers when handicapping race on poly.
You are correct on the Beyers comment. Perhaps since it plays like turf, consideration could be given on those forms, and not dirt? Zen steppin up a notch if in BCC-should stay in class imo.

Java Gold@TFT
09-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Two things,

First even though I don't agree 100% with cj, he is 100% right. Rachel has already wrapped up HOY. Zenyatta after 3 races against squat competition (except for Life Is Sweet)? Puh- leeze. Gio Ponti - I love but no person who doesn't follow horse racing has ever even heard the name before. SummerBird got stomped by Rachel regardless of the distance or if it was a "prep" race. Ice went in it to win it. He made sure that SB had some speed to be able to challenge but SB couldn't. He did a great job holding off anyone else but he had no prayer to win.

Second, If Rachel hasn't beaten anybody then what do you call the G-I winners of the SA Derby, Ky Derby, Belmont Stakes, Travers Stakes, Acorn Stakes, Secretariat S., Test S. And those are only the G-I winners she has beaten this year. She alo beat 5 of the 6 horse who finished the KY Derby in front. They include a bunch of G-II and G-III winners. If she should win on Saturday then she could add the winners of the Whitney and Stephen Foster to her hit list. So, outside of Zenyatta who ahs race exactlt 3 times this year in her little confines, just who has Rachel been suppose to beat so far? She's a 3yo Filly and we haven't hit Labor Day yet. Her previous owner had no intentions of a TC campaign so don't even go there. She was being trained for the Mother Goose after the KY Oaks.

And I do believe she will have one more race after the Woodward. I don't know where a 4-5 month rest would put her in March or April - maybe Apple Blossom or something at CD?

tucker6
09-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Simple IF Zenyatta runs well in the BC Classic (doesn't even have to win it) and RA stays on the sidelines, many votes will shift just for their having TRIED the best and it is on HER best surface.
no

tucker6
09-02-2009, 05:57 PM
As of now I don't believe anyone can beat Summer bird at 1 1/4 or more.
Can you provide the basis for this opinion, because it left me speechless??

SoCalCircuit
09-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Can you provide the basis for this opinion, because it left me speechless??

while this is perhaps a bit too bold of a statement, going by pedigree and record at the distance it does have SOME merit

bisket
09-02-2009, 06:29 PM
we'll have to see how things play out, but i think there's summer before the haskell, and summer after the haskell. he's a better horse today than before that race. he's 3 years old, and he was a little behind the others experience wise during the crown. what i mean by: he's 3 years old is horses at this age can improve almost overnight. now its gonna take some more improvement to beat rachel at 1 1/4 mile, but who knows?

tucker6
09-02-2009, 06:47 PM
now its gonna take some more improvement to beat rachel at 1 1/4 mile, but who knows?
So you don't agree with this statement by Pell Mell - "As of now I don't believe anyone can beat Summer bird at 1 1/4 or more"

Truth is, the last time RA and Summer Bird were in the same race, she won going away at 1-1/8 miles. That was only a few weeks ago. I can't see where anyone would think he was going to win if they went another 1/4 mile.

bisket
09-02-2009, 06:49 PM
thats a pretty strong statement off one win. summer is improved, but i don't know if i'd go that far

DRIVEWAY
09-02-2009, 07:02 PM

Summer Bird's 110 Beyer in the Travers is clearly a sign of things to come. Also, his Kentucky Derby was a lot better than most realize.

A lightly raced horse with serious stamina influences will definitely get better.

But your supposed to keep this a secret. How are we going to cleanup at the windows? We need RA to show up in his next race to build up the parimutual.

You stick your neck out a little bit with win next two and then Sec's path but I respect your conviction. This will be fun to watch.:ThmbUp:

bisket
09-02-2009, 07:13 PM
hopefully everyone forgets about quality :ThmbUp:

Pell Mell
09-02-2009, 07:57 PM
thats a pretty strong statement off one win. summer is improved, but i don't know if i'd go that far
Who won the Belmont?
Over many years there have been horses that were world beaters at 1 1/8 but at 1 1/4 or more they come up short. It's a different ball game at the classic distances and it's been proven over and over through the years in the Derby. Why do you think so many favorites have lost the Derby?

Hanover1
09-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Who won the Belmont?
Over many years there have been horses that were world beaters at 1 1/8 but at 1 1/4 or more they come up short. It's a different ball game at the classic distances and it's been proven over and over through the years in the Derby. Why do you think so many favorites have lost the Derby?
I think so many favorites lose the Derby because they are pushed to extremes before natural ability is attained for many horses, and as a result, we see late bloomers that are horses actually just coming into their own. SB may very well just be coming into his own, but the same can be said for RA, as the time and maturity are allowed to set in without injury sidelining them.

Pell Mell
09-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Let's remember this thread at the end of the year.;)

kenwoodallpromos
09-02-2009, 09:40 PM
We have 3 top horses being discussed: A plubber, a turfer, and dirter who runs 1 3/16 and shorter. Toss in both birds and what do you have? Confused writers who will be the ones voting, and the rest of the runners who are all a cut below the 3 who can only win on 1 surface type each! Sounds like the discussion should be ready to turn to the quality of the racers this year?
IMO the voters will wait until all the races are played out, see who is willing to become a "visiting team" in regard to surface, and decide like many betters decide who is best- last race winner gets the nod!!

bisket
09-02-2009, 10:03 PM
We have 3 top horses being discussed: A plubber, a turfer, and dirter who runs 1 3/16 and shorter. Toss in both birds and what do you have? Confused writers who will be the ones voting, and the rest of the runners who are all a cut below the 3 who can only win on 1 surface type each! Sounds like the discussion should be ready to turn to the quality of the racers this year?
IMO the voters will wait until all the races are played out, see who is willing to become a "visiting team" in regard to surface, and decide like many betters decide who is best- last race winner gets the nod!!
thats why the woodward with not the greatest field assembled this year by any means is a bad spot for rachel to call it quits. your post is spot on though. i think two of the three control their own destiny. rachel and ponti. i think if ponti wins the classic he may just trump everything rachel accomplished. that'll be a tough call. hey another that could sneak in their with a victory in the classic is einstein. his win in the sa handy was a good win.

Hanover1
09-02-2009, 10:21 PM
hopefully everyone forgets about quality :ThmbUp:
If they dont opt for sprints with this guy, I like him at a flat mile. (bad wheels dictate his future)

bisket
09-02-2009, 10:34 PM
i wouldn't give up on him running a route just yet. i'm gonna finally get some odds on this horse if he goes in the jcgc. he missed the break, and has been on the lead in every race. he got some mud kicked in his face for the first time in the travers and he was coming into the race off one sprint as a prep. i'm not giving up on him as a classic horse off one bad performance with two good excuses for the bad performance. he's a big horse 17 hands with a long stride. looking at the form and his numbers may say he's a sprinter, but he can get 1 1/4 mile. this horse is the best on the track this year when right. i just love it when a horse like this loses a big race. :ThmbUp: most handicappers have a tendency to respond to positive influence. summer won his last race and now he's the next seabiscuit (see i can spell it right). quality got some mud kicked in his face and now he's mr.ed. notice how i liked summer and quality going into the travers. this situation will be totally reversed in the jcgc. everyone will be saying if summer and rachel runs their race they're the winner. thats not accurate. if summer, rachel, and quality run their race. the other two are looking at quality's arse at the end. that horse is the lead stallion. he aint gonna let a filly pass him.

Hanover1
09-02-2009, 10:51 PM
i wouldn't give up on him running a route just yet. i'm gonna finally get some odds on this horse if he goes in the jcgc. he missed the break, and has been on the lead in every race. he got some mud kicked in his face for the first time in the travers and he was coming into the race off one sprint as a prep. i'm not giving up on him as a classic horse off one bad performance with two good excuses for the bad performance. he's a big horse 17 hands with a long stride. looking at the form and his numbers may say he's a sprinter, but he can get 1 1/4 mile. this horse is the best on the track this year when right. i just love it when a horse like this loses a big race. :ThmbUp: most handicappers have a tendency to respond to positive influence. summer won his last race and now he's the next seabiscuit (see i can spell it right). quality got some mud kicked in his face and now he's mr.ed. notice how i liked summer and quality going into the travers. this situation will be totally reversed in the jcgc. everyone will be saying if summer and rachel runs their race they're the winner. thats not accurate. if summer, rachel, and quality run their race. the other two are looking at quality's arse at the end. that horse is the lead stallion. he aint gonna let a filly pass him.
Indeed....."IF" he returns to spring form, hes the best. Next out, under typical forms, suggest its window time next out........(sshhhh!!)

phatbastard
09-03-2009, 05:08 AM
i'm probably wrong, but i'll be taking a swing against RA this weekend...just sorta have a feeling about these older males

WinterTriangle
09-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Talk about inferior fields. RA beat absolutely nothing in the Kentucky Oaks; clobbered all the second-tier "boys" in the Preakness (except for Mine That Bird, who would have won had he not encountered traffic problems at the top of the lane); then beat three filly claimers in a four-horse field and topped it off with a win over distance-challenged colts in the Haskell.

:rolleyes: You need to *vet* this for *agenda*....because this can be set up to benefit an agenda, regardless of outcome.

If the field is weak, and she wins, she beat nobody.
If she loses, she can be quadruple-bashed, because she lost to a bunch of donkeys.

(I swear, some of this stuff is worse than those political viral emails that sheeple propagate into my email box, based on whatever propaganda their favorite pundit brainwashed them to evangelize) :rolleyes:

I have yet to hear of a field you would consider *challenging* ? Does it exist?

This goes not just for Rachel, but every horse who wins and somebody doens't like :lol:

WinterTriangle
09-03-2009, 02:17 PM
i'm probably wrong, but i'll be taking a swing against RA this weekend...just sorta have a feeling about these older males

Feeling or no feeling, the odds on the others will be higher----odds that you probably wouldn't normally see on them. I'm sure many will see Rachel as a bet against trying to make some $$$.

Hanover1
09-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Feeling or no feeling, the odds on the others will be higher----odds that you probably wouldn't normally see on them. I'm sure many will see Rachel as a bet against trying to make some $$$.
This is a good betting race imo. This field is in no way a pushover for RA. 8lbs is a gift for her, and she needs it. Zito has 2 in there, and they will take it to her......

WinterTriangle
09-03-2009, 07:35 PM
:rolleyes: You need to *vet* this for *agenda*....because this can be set up to benefit an agenda, regardless of outcome.

If the field is weak, and she wins, she beat nobody.
If she loses, she can be quadruple-bashed, because she lost to a bunch of donkeys.

The reason I'm quoting myself is that I feel somewhat entitled to make the post, because I was a big Rachel fan when she ran against Sara Louise and at Oaklawn. But after she beat my favorite little MTB, I was po'ed at her.

Shortly after that, though, I re-examined how I looked at this. And I was able to separate my annoyance at her with my respect for her accomplishments.

So, in other words, I've been on both sides LOL!

What I have noticed at my age is that life *works* better when we examine some of our beliefs every so often.....and tweak them if necessary, and that includes deeply held beliefs as well. It takes letting go of some stuff and mostly ego. I will say philosophically, that anyone who does this WILL be more successful in life in general. I jetison baggage as often as I can.

PaceAdvantage
09-04-2009, 01:55 AM
Some of the opinions in this thread really leave me shaking my head...either some of you have been watching entirely different races than me, and an entirely different Rachel Alexandra, or you're just posting these outlandish opinions in order to get a rise out of folks....

tucker6
09-04-2009, 05:09 AM
Some of the opinions in this thread really leave me shaking my head...either some of you have been watching entirely different races than me, and an entirely different Rachel Alexandra, or you're just posting these outlandish opinions in order to get a rise out of folks....
That's why I stopped replying to "them" a couple days ago. The comments got to be so farfetched and untenable that I then assumed they were contrived to get a rise out of people. I really can't imagine a normal person taking some of those positions, so I am giving the benefit of the doubt and assume I'm being played. If I am incorrect in that assumption, then you have a few escapees from the asylum on the board. :bang:

Java Gold@TFT
09-04-2009, 06:43 AM
Some random quotes this week from people I have a lot more respect for than some of the naysayers:

Woolley, the trainer of Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird, watched Rachel beat his horse by a length in the Preakness. the closest any horse has been to her in the last five races.

“I have no doubt she’s one of the great fillies that’s ever been. Period,” Woolley said before he left town with Mine That Bird on Tuesday. “There’s no doubt about that now. She beat me, beat (Belmont and Travers winner) Summer Bird, beat all of us. In fillies, she’s got to be one of the top 10 all time.”

When trainer Barclay Tagg was coming up in the game, he spent some time as assistant to trainer Frank Whiteley, who trained the great Ruffian.

Tagg galloped Ruffian when she was a 2-year-old. And he has seen the wonder filly of our time, Rachel Alexandra. Yes, Tagg said, it’s fair to compare the two. Rachel has beaten colts twice this season and will try to do it again Saturday when she runs against older horses for the first tiime.

Tagg, standing outside his barn on the Spa backstretch Thursday morning, was asked what he thought of Rachel’s chances.

“Well, it depends on the 3-year-old filly and it depends on the older horses,” Tagg said. “I don’t think Rachel will have any trouble with this race. At least, I don’t think so.”

"I'm feeling what I don't have the feeling of very often, that we're going into the race almost running for second," said McLaughlin, who will saddle 10-1 choice Asiatic Boy. "I always like to think that I have a chance to win any race, even if we're 30-1, but I feel like she's going to be very, very difficult to beat."

Tim Ice also said after the Travers that he had the best 3yo colt in the country but Rachel was still the best 3yo in the country. (Can't find the direct quote)

cj
09-04-2009, 10:01 AM
The only thing that worries me about Rachel winning the Woodward is that Calvin Borel is still the rider.

Java Gold@TFT
09-04-2009, 10:48 AM
The only thing that worries me about Rachel winning the Woodward is that Calvin Borel is still the rider.
:ThmbUp: I completly agree - she wins despite him Sort of like Bid before Delp understood that Franklin was an idiot. He obviously has an affection for the horse but who wouldn't if you can win so many G-I's with ease? One for 33 so far at the Spa and only one mount on Saturday before the Woodward on a Pltcher longshot in the Forego. Scarily reminscent of the Belmont. Asmussen loves Albarado and he could ride her just as well. At least Calvin hasn't "gauranteed" a victory tomorrow.

46zilzal
09-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Compared her last two to the proposed match up on Saturday and she is VULNERABLE Big time not showing enough (so far that is since the best rise to the occasion) to hold off a few of these late, BUT again it is only 9 furlongs.

Hanover1
09-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Its appearing more and likely that Rachel is done for the year. Sorry to all of those that chose to debate my post on this subject. I was just passing along information that was made available to me, early on before the race. Looking forward to more stimulating debate.

PaceAdvantage
09-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Its appearing more and likely that Rachel is done for the year. Sorry to all of those that chose to debate my post on this subject. I was just passing along information that was made available to me, early on before the race. Looking forward to more stimulating debate.Information? As in a publicly made available TB Times article?

In any event, all news I've read says she came out of the race very well...I don't see where "it's appearing more and more likely that she is done for the year."

Maybe you had more info made available to you that we don't know about?

And if she races again this year, do we get to come back to this thread, point at you and yell "nah, nah, nah nah, nah!!" :lol:

Hanover1
09-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Just passing along the info my friend...If you feel the need to be heard again...by all means, do so...

PaceAdvantage
09-09-2009, 02:54 AM
Actually, in reply #56, it comes across as if you are taking credit for being "right."

Kind of unbecoming, especially when it hasn't been announced whether or not she will run again this year.

Hanover1
09-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Was'nt hard to figure that one-It has been reported yet again.......

PaceAdvantage
09-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Was'nt hard to figure that one-It has been reported yet again.......Not quite actually. NOW it has been reported that Jackson has said Rachel is done for the year.

Before, it was simply conjecture.

Space Monkey
09-13-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm glad!!!

FenceBored
10-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Even Curlin last year. The voters consider all aspects and understood that Curlins connections were experimenting with the synthetic surface, and he was obviously rewarded for atleast making an attempt.

As for Zenyatta, she has a very outside chance at HOY which would require her to either beat RA (unlikely, especially with this possibly being RA's last race), or winning the BCC (possible, she knows that track better than any of the other entrants) Summer bird is likely too little too late, and would require a win in the JCGC and BCC. Gio Ponti I feel right now is equally as deserving as HOY as RA is, and if he beats the Euros in any BC race, deserves to be HOY. Talk about a competitive schedule, Ponti's connections have been the LEAST conservative of any of the other canditates, sending him wherever the top turf horses are running, not worried about distance or other competitors. They've experimented and won with the "dirt" It sucks the turf horses get no respect in this country. I'm not sure most people realize that 4 G1 wins in a row on turf is far greater an accomplishment than the same on dirt

Ooops, maybe they should have been.

cj
10-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Ooops, maybe they should have been.

On that course wasn't it the equivalent of a 2 mile race?

FenceBored
10-04-2009, 09:06 AM
On that course wasn't it the equivalent of a 2 mile race?

Quite possibly, but come on CJ, what are you trying to do, be fair or something?