PDA

View Full Version : BRIS Archive PDF Charts-Free!

Steve 'StatMan'
09-01-2009, 08:40 PM
I was very surprised and glad to see this recent change! BRISnet now is allowing Free access to their customers (free account but with credit card info required) to their Archived PDF Results charts that go all the way back to 1991!!! Kudos to BRISnet! See their website for details: www.brisnet.com

DJofSD
09-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Wow -- I can now fill in some gaps. Thanks for posting, Steve.

takeout
09-01-2009, 10:17 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Horseplayersbet.com
09-01-2009, 10:25 PM
That is great. Brings back memories looking up old results at Greenwood.

Steve 'StatMan'
09-01-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm having to move within the next month or so, and looking for a smaller place. I still have all the DRF Simulcast Weeklys from when they started in mid 1994 through 2005, lots of paper, really didn't want to move that into a smaller place. And I can consider chucking my little old used fiche reader, and the brief set of fiche from 1991 that I had to resort to - and then never made great use of it anyway. I save all the PPS I can download for my PP plans, and even still have all the old Print DRF pps for those years for most of the tracks that appeared in Simulcast Weekly. So now, if I want to take on a new circuit, or go back and look at things, I still have the PPS and access to the Results. Let's face it, having the old PPS are not very helpful if you don't have the results for the race. (I'd moved about 58 boxes of chicago racing newspaper pages, Printed DRF PPS, and results charts when I moved here 11 years ago, thank heavens for the Internet and downloadable information!)

Along that line, I can now stop downloading the free summary results from Equibase throughout the month before the free info becomes unavailable. Just after I finally figured out the trick that, for the rare card I missed, I could sign into my ADW accounts, call up the replay service for that card, and see the results, payoffs and in some cases the scratches and off-odds, and do screen prints, and paste them into a word doc.

This will save me and likely thousands of others a few hours a month, trying to save 'free for limited time' stuff - and likely save them (and maybe others that follow) a tremendous amount of bandwith from so many similar handicappers doing those mass-downloads.

Thank You BRISnet! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

OverlayHunter
09-02-2009, 04:51 AM
TSN has added a link to the free charts back to '91 as well.

raybo
09-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Too bad their in PDF format. Would be nice for us Excel guys.

andymays
09-02-2009, 10:46 AM
I hit a good size pick 6 back in the 90's and I never saved the charts. Now I have them although the payoff for the pick 6 is wrong unless I dreamt the whole thing! :D

Thanks for the post! :ThmbUp:

If I wanted the DRF charts would I have to pay for that date? It looks better with the correct payoff!

Bochall
09-02-2009, 10:59 AM
I was very surprised and glad to see this recent change! BRISnet now is allowing Free access to their customers (free account but with credit card info required) to their Archived PDF Results charts that go all the way back to 1991!!! Kudos to BRISnet! See their website for details: www.brisnet.com (http://www.brisnet.com) Wow, the industry made a true customer friendly move. Seriously though, it's great. Now anyone can make their own par times for any track as the data is there for free. I have needed pars for Cali ever since poly (not to actually play those tracks--hell no!--but to assess shippers). Too bad they dont also provide a "bottle of Jack Daniels" as Ainslie or Beyer or someone said when researching pars.

RobinFromIreland
09-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Tried all I could to parse them but no dice unfortunately.

BillW
09-03-2009, 02:17 PM
TSN has added a link to the free charts back to '91 as well.

Ditto Equibase who would have had to approve this whole thing. Equibase shows only back to 1999, not sure if they just haven't got the older ones together yet or that there is some other issue.

GameTheory
09-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Ditto Equibase who would have had to approve this whole thing. Equibase shows only back to 1999, not sure if they just haven't got the older ones together yet or that there is some other issue.Equibase never went back past 1999, even when they were pay charts (and BRIS & TSN previously had pay charts back to 1992). Don't know why. Maybe they actually don't control the data before then because there was no Equibase?

Steve 'StatMan'
09-03-2009, 04:41 PM
IIRC Equibase was started around 1990, and was the provider of PP info for The Racing Times (1991, briefly 1992) BRIS Charts data and comma-deliminted files were and I believe still are supplied through an agreement with DRF, although BRIS has their own format for names, etc as does DRF, Equibase and maybe some other vendors, though Equibase is the sole commercial collector of the data since probabably around 1999-timeframe by a business agreement between DRF and Equibase.

takeout
09-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Is DRF conspicuous by their absence in this? Just asking.

Steve 'StatMan'
09-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Well, interesting on that point. Also Equibase themselves as well. DRF has their Simulcast Daily product, and Equibase still sells single day/track charts.

Steve 'StatMan'
09-03-2009, 07:21 PM
I stand corrected, or it just happend, Equibase now offers free results charts going back to 1999.

I may have goofed, BillW and GameTheory might have been talking about this and I missed the meaning.

kroebuck67
09-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Does anyone have any knowledge or ideas on a systematic way of turning this newfound wealth into ASCII?

Steve 'StatMan'
09-03-2009, 09:40 PM
If there was a systematic was with protected PDF files, they wouldn't be free. Oh, people have looked and tried.

Tom
09-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Hand entry. :rolleyes:

Cratos
09-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Does anyone have any knowledge or ideas on a systematic way of turning this newfound wealth into ASCII?

Download the PDF Unlocker program

takeout
09-04-2009, 02:11 AM
I hit a good size pick 6 back in the 90's and I never saved the charts. Now I have them although the payoff for the pick 6 is wrong unless I dreamt the whole thing! :D
I was just looking at some of the old ’91 charts from Pimlico and none of them had any payoffs in them. Had odds, but no payoffs.

I always wonder, when I see stuff missing from the pdfs, if it also went missing in the data files. ??

takeout
09-04-2009, 05:15 AM
I guess maybe that was all that they were putting in the free ones back then? They didn’t have any footnotes either. For the ones I looked at the payoffs were added in ’93 and the footnotes weren’t added until ’99. Probably coincided with the whole DRF/EQ thing and all that followed.

Tom
09-04-2009, 07:43 AM
No race conditions either.

banacek
09-06-2009, 02:54 PM
It was a blast looking up some old charts. It amazes me how I can remember so many races from so long ago where I hit a nice one. I looked up one from 1993 ...knew the date, race number, exactly how the race ran. If they went back to the 70s, I'd remember quite a few of those too.

Kind of like when they ask Jack Nicklaus about (say) the 1965 US Open and he can give you a play by play of every shot from every round. When you are really into something emotionally, you remember everything. Now if I could only remember when my anniversary was.....

Java Gold@TFT
09-06-2009, 06:21 PM
It was a blast looking up some old charts. It amazes me how I can remember so many races from so long ago where I hit a nice one. I looked up one from 1993 ...knew the date, race number, exactly how the race ran. If they went back to the 70s, I'd remember quite a few of those too.

Kind of like when they ask Jack Nicklaus about (say) the 1965 US Open and he can give you a play by play of every shot from every round. When you are really into something emotionally, you remember everything. Now if I could only remember when my anniversary was.....
When I was in High School a few of us would pull up 2 or 3 year old NY Times on the microfiche (sp?) and "bet" on the races from previous years. We'd each throw in a buck and look at one days races from Saratoga from 2-3 years earlier. After we picked our horses we went to the next day to get the results. These fools thought we were picking "random" days but I always picked days that I knew I was there. I cleaned up on these guys because I remembered almost every race we bet on. My mother wasn't really proud when she found out where I was getting extra money from. It is still fun to go back to see some of the days since 1991 that I knew I had a good day. I can remember who I bet on in a given race 15 years ago but struggle to rememember what I had for dinner last night. Fun charts though.

DJofSD
09-16-2009, 07:41 AM
The link on the BRIS home page for the archive is now gone. Here's the new spot: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/archives_pdf.cgi?type=arc

ranchwest
09-16-2009, 11:04 AM

I'm glad my wife doesn't read this forum. You guys would be reminding her that I remember more about sports than anything else. lol

takeout
09-16-2009, 01:03 PM
The link on the BRIS home page for the archive is now gone. Here's the new spot: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/archives_pdf.cgi?type=arcIt’s still up on the home page at TSN. http://tsnhorse.com/

Jay Trotter
09-16-2009, 02:04 PM
I went to the link suggested which goes to PDF Unlocker 1.0.4 but it wasn't compatible with my Vista version of Windows (don't even get me started), so I found Unrestrict PDF v3.0 which did load into Vista.

However, when I went to access a PDF it would always indicate I needed to purchase the Full Version of the software???

Any thoughts??? :confused:

Download the PDF Unlocker program

Cratos
09-16-2009, 03:37 PM
I went to the link suggested which goes to PDF Unlocker 1.0.4 but it wasn't compatible with my Vista version of Windows (don't even get me started), so I found Unrestrict PDF v3.0 which did load into Vista.

However, when I went to access a PDF it would always indicate I needed to purchase the Full Version of the software???

Any thoughts??? :confused:

I am a XP Professional user and cannot help you with Vista, but in October I am switching to MS System 7 OS and maybe I will then have the problem that you have.

RobinFromIreland
09-16-2009, 04:36 PM
If you have a Mac you can simply "Print as PDF" to remove the copy restriction. Do note however the BRIS/TSN charts are encrypted, so when you paste the text you will get substituted text rather than what you copied.