PDA

View Full Version : September 1,1939.

BlueShoe
09-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Seventy years ago today,German panzer units,supported from the air by the Luftwaffe,smashed into Poland using a new kind of terrifying warfare called Blitzkrieg,ushering in the horror of World War II,which historians consider to have started on this date.16 million Americans went on to serve in the war,with 400,000 having their lives taken.Of those that served,there are estimated to be only about 3 million still alive,and they are dying at a rate of about 1000 a day.Ten years from now,there will be only a handful left.On this 70th anniversary of the start of that horrible time in our planets history,I am taking time to reflect,and remembering that the price of freedom is eternal vigilence,and that peace comes only through strength.

Marshall Bennett
09-01-2009, 07:07 PM
My dad was a veteran of that awful war . He has since passed , but he used to say Americans , unless they were living then , cannot know the true meaning of sacrifice . I believe he was right .

46zilzal
09-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I visited the inlet near Gdansk that held out to point blank barrage for almost a week from a battleship right off the coast. NO LOVE LOSS for either the Germans or Russians there as we visited an area of a Catholic church dedicated to literally hundreds of Polish officers murdered by the Russians and then covered up for years.

My father was there on the 50th anniversary of that date and the turnout was huge.

Poland is a beautiful country with very nice people and loads of history. Even visited a steeplechase course in Sopot near Gdansk and Gdynia.

boxcar
09-02-2009, 12:29 PM
I visited the inlet near Gdansk that held out to point blank barrage for almost a week from a battleship right off the coast. NO LOVE LOSS for either the Germans or Russians there as we visited an area of a Catholic church dedicated to literally hundreds of Polish officers murdered by the Russians and then covered up for years.

My father was there on the 50th anniversary of that date and the turnout was huge.

Poland is a beautiful country with very nice people and loads of history. Even visited a steeplechase course in Sopot near Gdansk and Gdynia.

But you sure have a love for fascism and communism, don't you -- in fact, any government system that will erode individual liberties and capitalism, isn't that right, zilly?

Boxcar