PDA

View Full Version : Alternative equine therapies evolve into a stable staple!

andymays
09-01-2009, 10:29 AM
http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2009/08/31/news/doc4a9b3c4fedff9492402832.txt

Excerpt:

By MAREESA NICOSIA, The Saratogian

SARATOGA SPRINGS — As the horse racing industry has grown more specialized in recent years, alternative equine therapy has evolved as a more widely accepted practice, says one longtime equine therapist in the Spa City.

Debbie Kral-Vargas, of Ocala, Fla., has been spending nearly half her time in Saratoga for the last 15 years, tending to thoroughbreds in need of physical therapy services so they can race at the top of their game. Her husband, Nerio Vargas, a former horse trainer and native of Venezuela, is the other half of their company, Therapeutic Equine Services.

“Chiropractics and acupuncture have gotten popular in the last 10 to 12 years, and along with it alternative therapies like massage, laser, magnetic blankets and PEMF (pulse electromagnetic field) therapy,” Kral-Vargas said.

Hanover1
09-01-2009, 02:22 PM
http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2009/08/31/news/doc4a9b3c4fedff9492402832.txt

Excerpt:

By MAREESA NICOSIA, The Saratogian

SARATOGA SPRINGS — As the horse racing industry has grown more specialized in recent years, alternative equine therapy has evolved as a more widely accepted practice, says one longtime equine therapist in the Spa City.

Debbie Kral-Vargas, of Ocala, Fla., has been spending nearly half her time in Saratoga for the last 15 years, tending to thoroughbreds in need of physical therapy services so they can race at the top of their game. Her husband, Nerio Vargas, a former horse trainer and native of Venezuela, is the other half of their company, Therapeutic Equine Services.

“Chiropractics and acupuncture have gotten popular in the last 10 to 12 years, and along with it alternative therapies like massage, laser, magnetic blankets and PEMF (pulse electromagnetic field) therapy,” Kral-Vargas said.
The treatments discussed have been around the barn at least 25 yrs. I used accupuncture in mid 80s, along with "blue boot" electromagnetics, and "black box" laser therapy. No conclusive numbers led me to continue with these treatments, opting to return to more conventional methods that had produced results. Best of luck to them......

andymays
09-01-2009, 02:34 PM
The treatments discussed have been around the barn at least 25 yrs. I used accupuncture in mid 80s, along with "blue boot" electromagnetics, and "black box" laser therapy. No conclusive numbers led me to continue with these treatments, opting to return to more conventional methods that had produced results. Best of luck to them......

I posted the article because in my opinion many Horseplayers think much of the training is done with a needle. The truth is there's a lot of hands on work done on the Horses every day!

You're right this stuff has been around a long time. Some Trainers swear by this stuff and some don't!