PDA

View Full Version : Mullins-Englander

cj
05-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Everyone (including me) had plenty of questions about the Gill-Shuman team, but I don't hear much about Mullins-Englander. Any particular reason for that? They are certainly pulling similiar wake-ups, and Englander did the same sort of thing with Scott Lake in the past. Just curious why the apparent double standard. BTW, Mullins is now 7-9 at Hollywood, no way I pick his horse that just won the 2d off the form, but when I see 6 for 8 and 7-2 odds, I send it in!

CJ

hurrikane
05-21-2003, 05:14 PM
cj,
I hear you buddy.
This popped up on a trainer play today.
I don't ask why. I just play.
hmmm....Guess that just what us losers do...eh?..... :D

There was also a post on the jquinn deal. Something about violations.
Someone wrote...even Scott Lake was mentioned. He was mentioned for a colors violation. $25 bucks.
There was also a stable person mentioned for using heroin. No one said a damn word about that. Guess he doesn't have a big enough name. Or no one had a losing ticket on the horse.

Valuist
05-21-2003, 05:15 PM
Mullins still seems under the radar, at least east of California. A couple of guesses why: we've gotten numb to hot trainers over the years (remember Passero winning 15 in a row??), and SoCal probably doesn't get the same press and media coverage that the East Coast gets.

Reavis/Englander in Chicago is another good combo also.

GameTheory
05-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Two other reasons:

-- Andy Beyer probably didn't lose any money betting against this team.

-- They aren't pissing everyone off by claiming from the wrong people.

Tee
05-21-2003, 08:33 PM
I'll admit I used Flyindownbaylaurel partly because of the trainer.

What stuck out the most to me was that she is by Alphabet Soup who is by Cozzene & out of a Dynaformer mare. The greatest % of my handicapping attention is always on the horse & her pedigree screams turf, so she became a very good play.

I feel confident that I would have played the horse even if she was trained by someone else. Now the question is would she still have won?

gonatas
05-22-2003, 08:19 AM
Englander spreads his claims all over the country using a number of local trainers. I believe he is claiming off speed figures. He uses local guys who are already known as competent claiming trainers (as far as I can tell). All he is really doing is playing the claiming game on a very large scale; claiming in the simulcast era I guess.

Englander's "edge" is his ability to select his claims from anything running in the country; whereas Gill could dominate one circuit at a time by having the resources to claim everything going. Gill's way of operating gets the locals real upset.

Juice? Well I assume there are no virgins here ;) but Englander's guys are each their own thing. Gill, by only using one guy is going to raise more questions whether they are justified or not.

Horse racing at all levels is no different than anything else, the guys with all the money have an advantage. Small owners (local businessmen) with a couple of horses are going to have a hard time competing with guys who have the resources to claim anything that moves and spot it at whatever level they have to to get the win.

cj
05-23-2003, 09:08 PM
http://www.drf2000.com/news/article/46648.html

CJ

so.cal.fan
05-23-2003, 09:43 PM
Interesting, CJ.
Unfortunately, here in Calif. we have a history of things being done without public disclosure.
It is not uncommon at all for a trainer to be called in and threatened (with evidence) and their "hot streak" immediately ends.
The general consensus around the Hollywood Park paddock is that whatever Mullins is using (most suspect EPO) he knows they are not able to test for it, or the tests are so expensive.......they won't do it........
My own opinion is that he is a master at using "border line" legal meds, knows how to use them in just the right amounts.....
I have no inside knowledge of this, just seems that this guy, Mullins is so unpopular with the officials at Hollywood Park and the CHRB investigators, that if he was doing anything illegal....they would nail him....no matter the cost......we shall see.
Until he stops winning.......I am going to bet his horses.

hurrikane
05-24-2003, 08:29 AM
so cal,

I'm surprised.
So, if these things aren't public how do you know about them?Other than rumor?

Why is it that if Mullins is so dispised by the stewards and always being watched then he must be very good at doing illegal things.
Why can't it be that he is just a good trainer and he is not doing anything wrong?

I just don't get why everyone believes that everyone is crooked and everyone is doing something illegal just because they win.
Are all these complainers Democrats? You know how they hate a winner.

Why does anyone play this game if it's so crooked?

so.cal.fan
05-24-2003, 12:47 PM
Hurrikane:
I have family members in the industry.....however, most of my information comes from paddock friends, many who are also industry insiders. I also get some pretty good scoops from a few of the guys on this board who are either professional bettors or industry insiders. Most of us are pretty open minded.......we just weigh all the facts and decide for ourselves.
Jeff Mullins was on the www.rogerstein.com show this morning....you may want to catch the replay of it....he strongly states his case.
;)

cj
06-01-2003, 09:51 PM
I've been gone for a week, didn't see anything about racing, and I mean nothing. I notice Mullins hasn't won much if at all while I was gone, all since his talk with the stewards.

CJ

so.cal.fan
06-02-2003, 12:34 AM
Jeff WHO??????????