PDA

View Full Version : Borel back on MTB

FenceBored
08-31-2009, 05:37 PM
Unfreakinbeleivable. :faint:

While Woolley was pleased with the move, he was even more excited about having Borel back not only for the workout, but also for Mine That Bird's next two scheduled outings – the Oct. 10 Goodwood Stakes (gr. I) and the Nov. 7 Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I).
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/52353/together-again-borel-works-mine-that-bird

CryingForTheHorses
08-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Unfreakinbeleivable. :faint:

While Woolley was pleased with the move, he was even more excited about having Borel back not only for the workout, but also for Mine That Bird's next two scheduled outings – the Oct. 10 Goodwood Stakes (gr. I) and the Nov. 7 Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I).
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/52353/together-again-borel-works-mine-that-bird

Dont know what your freaked about,This jock did win the Derby on him,The jock does know the horse.

lamboguy
08-31-2009, 06:45 PM
that was probably the greatest rides of all time in this years kentucky derby. wow that boy sure is good on the churchill downs surface. you got to give chip wooley alot of credit to giving him the mount. i honestly don't thing another rider could have won on that horse that day. i have never said that in my life concerning any other jock.

atlasaxis
08-31-2009, 07:44 PM
that was probably the greatest rides of all time in this years kentucky derby. wow that boy sure is good on the churchill downs surface. you got to give chip wooley alot of credit to giving him the mount. i honestly don't thing another rider could have won on that horse that day. i have never said that in my life concerning any other jock.

Lambo, when Borel was at Belmont signing Rachel pictures, I had him sign my Sports Illustrated with him and MTB on the cover. He smiled when he saw that picture and I said to him that that ride he gave MTB was THE greatest, most spectacular ride I had ever seen in my 36 years of watching racing and probably would go down as one of the greatest if not the greatest rides of all time. He just shyly hung his head and said, Thank you very much sir, that is most kind of you to say." I look forward to seeing him back on MTB!

ghostyapper
08-31-2009, 07:54 PM
I hope warriors reward doesn't have a 100k stakes to run in the day of the bc or goodwood cause chip will be scrambling for a jock again.

point given
08-31-2009, 08:09 PM
To paraphrase Johnny Cochrane in regards to Calvin back on MTB

" If the jocks a fit you must acquit " ;)

WinterTriangle
08-31-2009, 08:10 PM
I hope warriors reward doesn't have a 100k stakes to run in the day of the bc or goodwood cause chip will be scrambling for a jock again.

Tough one for me, because I like WR and think he is gonna *pop* soon. VERY LATE developer. And calvin has *learned* this horse very well, IMHO.

DaylightDies
08-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Good- I feel they belong together. Not to take anything from Mike Smith, but I always felt MTB was just another horse to him- seems more special for Calvin

sammy the sage
08-31-2009, 09:32 PM
now I know for sure...R.A....will now show up at the B.C.!!!

FenceBored
08-31-2009, 09:41 PM
Dont know what your freaked about,This jock did win the Derby on him,The jock does know the horse.

Yes, he won the Derby with MTB, and I don't think any other jock would have gotten him home that day. With all the drama that started the Tuesday after the Derby, and culminated with MTB's connections saying Calvin was off the horse, I didn't think the owners would agree to let him ride again. Woolley didn't seem to have any hard feelings, though.

Grits
08-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Never, ever burn your bridges.

Its wise business; its wise living.

sandpit
08-31-2009, 10:16 PM

Don't think that will be a problem because from what I read today, WR trainer Ian Wilkes won't run him in any more 10F races; probably will be looking at a mile or 1 1/16 from now on.

westny
08-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Who is Mike Smith riding in the BCC? I'd keep Mike Smith on MTB at SA if he was available.

No doubt, Borel rode a great race in the KD but he had the advantage of CD being his home track, they don't call him Bo-RAIL for nothing, and most importantly, MTB was off the radar...a 50-1 filler in a field of 20.

No one was looking for Bo-Rail and MTB...they got away unnoticed and uninhibited.

MTB bombed on fake track at SA. Has Borel ever ridden at SA? He didn't ride a good race at Belmont on MTB.

MTB running on fake track at WO did nothing to help him in the BCJ at SA. He finished last. Why is MTB going to run better against the best in the BCC than he did in the BCJ with a jock unfamiliar with SA's track?

WinterTriangle
09-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Mike is not a good *match* with MTB. that's something I felt, more like a hunch.

I believe in kismet between a jock and horse.

Jumping for joy that MTB will be at Ruidiso training in that high altitude that I think gave him good lungs for the Derby. :jump:

Hopefully, Borel can get some rides at SA for practice?

I still think Chantal would be great on MTB!!!!!

gazuntit
09-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Very shcoked! Is Mike Smith gonna ride Tiago in that Goodwood? Is that why Calvin Borel got the mount back.

statik27
09-01-2009, 02:25 AM
Honestly, this has me thinking more that Zenyatta will run if the Classic if all goes well.

JustRalph
09-01-2009, 05:25 AM
I still think Chantal would be great on MTB!!!!!

Didn't she already ride him?

Java Gold@TFT
09-01-2009, 06:43 AM
What's the big deal? Woolley said all along that he wanted Borel back on MTB every day since the Preakness. Borel made a TWO race commitment to Wilkes on Warrior's Reward. Unfortunately the Jim Dandy commitment conflicted with the WV Derby so he told Chip to find someone else that day. Wooley has always said he wantd Borel back on board. When Borel said he couldn't ride in the WV Derby Wooley went looking for another rider to commit to MTB for the rest of the year but even Smith wouldn't commit to that because no-one knows where Zenyatta will go. So, big deal. Smith committed to 2 races (including Travers) and that was the end of that deal. Now Borel doesn't have to worry about a conflict with Rachel so he gets the mount on MTB back. Depending on how Rachel comes out of the Woodward she can be pointed toward the Beldame or JCGC on 10/3 while the Goodwood isn't until the next week. Sound business on both sides.

JustRalph
09-01-2009, 08:10 AM
We need a few more Calvin Borel's and a few Less Corey Nakatani's in racing..............

post time
09-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Wooley needs to throw down the cruches and ride him.

jognlope
09-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Mike has always had a soft spot for Tiago.

RHANDIE
09-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Alonso Quinonez is available for the next two, seriously he is just as capable as Borel and I would rather have him at Santa Anita, I really don't think much of Borel, he's a good jock but certainly nothing to chase around to ride my horse, there are at least 15 others I'd rather ride, including everyone in the Santa Anita Jocks room on Breeders Cup day.

Bochall
09-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Calvin is back on MTB cuz Warriors Reward just aint all that. Love to see his 'Appalachian' smile...i dont think Santa Anita is the place to give Calvin first call tough. He is great at CD cuz its his track...what about G Gomez riding him in the Classic?

RHANDIE
09-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Gomez is on Colonel John, whom I actually like a lot in this race.

DaylightDies
09-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Didn't she already ride him?

Yes, and I'm not sure if it was Woolley or the owners but I remember reading someone pretty bluntly saying it wouldnt happen again. I was surprised because the results were OK but I guess they would know better than me....

After google, it was chip:
http://www.horseraceinsider.com/blog.php/Zasts-TrackWords/2004-08-23chip-woolley-jr-in-detail/

Bochall
09-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Gomez is on Colonel John, whom I actually like a lot in this race. I dont follow Cali at all so forgive me, but has Colonel John been active this year? He must be running in the Pac Classic huh? Cant blame Gomez for picking him over the Derby winner, who seems to have fallen out of fashion quickly. MTB just gives me that Giacomo feeling: pissed that i didnt have him in the Derby and FOREVER seeking revenge by betting against him the rest of his career!

RHANDIE
09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Colonel John was ultra impressive winning a one mile turf stake just missing the track record last month, he had a nice work yesterday for the Pacific Classic.

bane
09-02-2009, 11:49 AM
MTB coming in today, but only for 6 days, he then ships down to Rosewell to some open house they are having at Double Eagle. From what I am told he won't be there too long, they want him at SA asap.

Bruddah
09-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Colonel John was ultra impressive winning a one mile turf stake just missing the track record last month, he had a nice work yesterday for the Pacific Classic.

You may be right, but Colonel John has never impressed me as a true Grade I horse. I think he is a Grade II at his very best and that is on Polycrap, on the West Coast. Truthfully, the Graded Polycrap races (Pacific Classic et. al.) inherited those ratings from decades of QUALITY dirt racing. When they went to Polycrap they should have lost their Graded status.

joanied
09-02-2009, 04:34 PM
We need a few more Calvin Borel's and a few Less Corey Nakatani's in racing..............

:ThmbUp: Good one, justralph...I never did think much of Corey...but after wacthing 'Jockeys'...I think even less of him now...he's a piece of work, all right..always wished someone else rode Lava Man to...Corey sucks:)

I am as happy as can be:jump: to see Calvin back with MTB...now we'll see if Calvin & MTB really is a 'match made in heaven'...if MTB dosen't win one of these races with Calvin aboard, then I may start thinking that they just got really lucky in the Derby & Preakness...that the horse was peaking at the right time....but, I have to say, Calvin does need to ride at SA a few times...he'll need to get a feel for that stupid surface.
Calvin & MTB=:kiss:

PS...it also brings up RA and the BC...I would have to think that Calvin asked Jackson before he accepted MTB again...and he was told not to worry because she isn't going.

RHANDIE
09-02-2009, 09:06 PM
You may be right, but Colonel John has never impressed me as a true Grade I horse. I think he is a Grade II at his very best and that is on Polycrap, on the West Coast. Truthfully, the Graded Polycrap races (Pacific Classic et. al.) inherited those ratings from decades of QUALITY dirt racing. When they went to Polycrap they should have lost their Graded status.

Well he took that polycrap form and won the Travers on the dirt, he has now won a stakes on every surface, whatever you think of him he's proven to be a real nice horse, I'd absolutely love to own him.

Java Gold@TFT
09-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Well he took that polycrap form and won the Travers on the dirt, he has now won a stakes on every surface, whatever you think of him he's proven to be a real nice horse, I'd absolutely love to own him.
I HATE the "who did they beat" debates but I will say that a horse with his class and abilty should not have had the problem he did in the Travers with Mambo In Seattle. John won on dirt but is better on poly.

RHANDIE
09-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Well in fairness to CJ he had to barrell his way through and fought tooth and nail to beat Mambo in Seattle who had a dream trip and couldn't get by, Macho Again was in that field and was highly thought of in that spot, heck some people actually think he can beat Rachel this weekend!

WinterTriangle
09-03-2009, 01:35 PM
he has now won a stakes on every surface

Quite an accomplishment, esp. for those horse racing fans believe the old adage that a 'great' horse can win on any surface.

horses721
09-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Alonso Quinonez is available for the next two, seriously he is just as capable as Borel and I would rather have him at Santa Anita, I really don't think much of Borel, he's a good jock but certainly nothing to chase around to ride my horse, there are at least 15 others I'd rather ride, including everyone in the Santa Anita Jocks room on Breeders Cup day.

This might be the dumbest thing I have read on this board.

Bruddah
09-03-2009, 04:37 PM

Again, just my particular take on last years Travers is, it was the weakest field in my memory. If one looks behind the races he has run, he is a Grade II horse. Yes, a very nice one and anyone would be proud to own and race him. None the less, truthfully, he is a second level graded black type winner. I am not demeaning him, just being pragmatic. ;)

RHANDIE
09-03-2009, 09:03 PM
This might be the dumbest thing I have read on this board.

And you say this because he's tearing it up at Saratoga ( 1 for 33 ) and everywhere else not in Kentucky ? Seriously his rides away from Churchill are borderline criminal and in fact Rachels biggest obstacle is that buffoon on her back, it's no advantage to have this moron on Mine that Bird, for one he's just an okay horse, and for two if they think Calvin is some great talent that is going to enhance his chances, well that's just hilarious, and yes any rider at Santa Anita is a better choice than Borel.

WinterTriangle
09-03-2009, 09:33 PM
randie, I think you might be dismissing something which I feel is important. I think there are horse/jockey pairings that just seem to work well (Arcaro and Whirlaway), which have nothing to do with the jock being the best jock or not best out there.

joanied
09-04-2009, 01:10 PM
And you say this because he's tearing it up at Saratoga ( 1 for 33 ) and everywhere else not in Kentucky ? Seriously his rides away from Churchill are borderline criminal and in fact Rachels biggest obstacle is that buffoon on her back, it's no advantage to have this moron on Mine that Bird, for one he's just an okay horse, and for two if they think Calvin is some great talent that is going to enhance his chances, well that's just hilarious, and yes any rider at Santa Anita is a better choice than Borel.

Hey...why not toss in a few more negative names for Calvin...you're on a roll there, RHANDIE...come on now...surely you can think of a few more besides buffoon & moron!

joanied
09-04-2009, 01:12 PM
randie, I think you might be dismissing something which I feel is important. I think there are horse/jockey pairings that just seem to work well (Arcaro and Whirlaway), which have nothing to do with the jock being the best jock or not best out there.

Good point, WinterT...something RHANDIE wouldn't even think of...he's using his brain power thinking up names to call Calvin!!

Have a great weeknd, WT:)

RHANDIE
09-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Good point, WinterT...something RHANDIE wouldn't even think of...he's using his brain power thinking up names to call Calvin!!

Have a great weeknd, WT:)

I can think of a lot more names, especially after suffering through another of his inept mediocre rides, the problem is they would be censored.

joanied
09-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I can think of a lot more names, especially after suffering through another of his inept mediocre rides, the problem is they would be censored.

And what inept ride are you talking about? Calvin makes mistakes...every jock does...from Shoemaker to Borel...they all screw up... and I have no problem with wether or not you like him as a rider...but you do not have to call him a moron and a buffoon...hardly necessary, RHANDIE to make your point.

ghostyapper
09-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Again, just my particular take on last years Travers is, it was the weakest field in my memory. If one looks behind the races he has run, he is a Grade II horse. Yes, a very nice one and anyone would be proud to own and race him. None the less, truthfully, he is a second level graded black type winner. I am not demeaning him, just being pragmatic. ;)

It didn't have a standout star in it (he was vacationing on the jersey shore)but that was a solid field from top to bottom, one of the deeper fields in recent history.

joanied
09-05-2009, 12:49 PM
:ThmbUp: Give IT hell Joanie. Trolls go away eventually.

JavaG, Grits and newtothegame....thanks for your support:ThmbUp: I really appreciate it:)

PaceAdvantage
09-07-2009, 03:08 AM
Had to do some house cleaning here...don't mind me....

joanied
09-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Had to do some house cleaning here...don't mind me....

OK with me, PA...but you missed the rhandie post where he calls Calvin a buffoon...
Hope you're having a great holiday weekend...I think Rachel made everyone's weeknd very special...Rachel & Calvin, that is:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
09-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Actually, I didn't miss it...I also left up your reply to the buffoon post...

joanied
09-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Actually, I didn't miss it...I also left up your reply to the buffoon post...

And you took down the one where I said I could kick his a$$:eek: :lol:

Anyway...glad it's over:faint: