PDA

View Full Version : Fredrick Davis

Harvhorse
08-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Fredrick Davis wrote rhe book Percentages and Probabilites, this was in the 70's it was seminal work om impact values. He converted impact values to ratings, and you could handicap a race by I. V. ratings. I have a friend who uses it and he says it works great especially with maidens/ But what I'm getting at is I could never find out anything about F. Davis not on google. Some handicapping book authers make reference to him. Does any one have any biographical Info on Fred Davis? Please let me know about him.

misscashalot
08-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Fredrick Davis wrote rhe book Percentages and Probabilites, this was in the 70's it was seminal work om impact values. He converted impact values to ratings, and you could handicap a race by I. V. ratings. I have a friend who uses it and he says it works great especially with maidens/ But what I'm getting at is I could never find out anything about F. Davis not on google. Some handicapping book authers make reference to him. Does any one have any biographical Info on Fred Davis? Please let me know about him.

http://www.minnow.com/racing/evolve.html

Overlay
08-31-2009, 06:36 PM
I haven't found any biographical information as such yet, but here's a promotional ad from the Form at the time when Percentages and Probabilities first came out in 1974 (just a piece of nostalgia). (What's $30 back then the equivalent of today?):

http://kdl.kyvl.org/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=drf1970s;cc=drf1970s;q1=Percentages;rgn=full %20text;idno=drf1974051101;didno=drf1974051101;vie w=pdf;seq=24;node=drf1974051101%3A24;passterms=1

acorn54
08-31-2009, 07:52 PM
fred davis was a professor at pennsylvania university at the time his research was made public according to the literature i have of fred davis' percentages and probabilities.
i think overlay publications picks up on using impact values in handicapping horses if that is your bag.

saevena
09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Acorn:

I never saw any reference in Davis's materials to (sic) Pennsylvania University or the University of Pennsylvania. The only reference to Davis is that he was from Red Bank, New Jersey, quite a ways from any Pennsylvania university. I'm beginning to believe that the name Fred Davis was a pseudonym. None of his work was copyrighted at the Library of Congress and there is no reference to anything written by this Fred Davis in the Library of Congress Catalog prior to, or after, the date of his handicapping work, in addition to nothing on the web (college professors usually publish something). Additionally, the web shows no Fred Davis living anywhere near Red Bank, New Jersey. Whoever he is, or was, he must have been close to the Ainslie-Kuck connection, because they published it.

bobbyt62
09-01-2009, 11:52 PM
i always wondered about fred davis too. i have never had the opportunity to buy the ? booklet ? going all the way back to the early 1980's. i do know that quirin took the concept of i.v.'s and ran with them in his book, and he even thanks fred davis in the acknowledgements. and the foreword to quirin's book was written by ainslie. btw, quirin is NOT a nom de plume, but ainslie was, if that helps further the mystery.

BIG HIT
09-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Don't know if same one had a article on randy giles old website.It was about class if it was same guy?