PDA

View Full Version : Gettingdown mid race?

johnhenry81
08-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Hello folks,

New to PA, old to racing, breed some, race some.

Yesterday watching and playing for fun, I liked the value on a horse named Jumpin Aire 3rd race Ellis. She was 4/1 loading, 7/2 through the quarter mile with a 5 lg. lead, then BAM!, 2/1.

I have a T1 connection with frequent refresh on the tote, and it certainly appears that the action came post break.

Anyone else catch this?

SoCalCircuit
08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
uh ohh you just opened up a massive can of worms.... :lol:

andymays
08-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Sophisticated Computer betting may be 10% of national handle! Late Odds Changes???

This is being addressed in general racing discussion under the above title.

By the way welcome to the Board! :ThmbUp:

CBedo
08-31-2009, 11:21 AM
As SoCal so eloquently stated, there are tons of posts on this if you search for them, but before you get too panicky, you're internet speed isn't really the determining factor in when the updates come since the racetrack industry is using good old batch technologies from the stone ages. Your update cycle could be different from the tote board's you are using which will most likely be different from the track's tote cycle (which hopefully is the same as Autotote or whatever company is supplying the tote system). Also, lots of money obviously gets bet late online or at otbs which gets sent to regional hubs before going to the host track. Some tracks are worse than others, but for some you will see really late odds changes due to this (and always down on the horses you bet of course, lol).

This is not to say that there couldn't have been a late bet (past posting is the technical term), but more likely, it's just poor systems.

johnhenry81
08-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Sorry for the misplaced thread, I have now found the hornets nest in the neighboring topic.

lamboguy
08-31-2009, 12:20 PM
when i have asked the same exact questions the most common answer is that the late money is the simulcast money. those guys down at the simulcast are alot smarter than myself!

johnhenry81
08-31-2009, 12:54 PM
BTW she won by 8lgs and paid 6.80 4.60 4.20

Yes, funny how the simulcast guys bet down the winner, and only in the win pool. I don't recall the exact win/ place pool amounts, but the delta was significant as evidenced by the payoffs.

njcurveball
08-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Hello folks,

New to PA, old to racing, breed some, race some.

Yesterday watching and playing for fun, I liked the value on a horse named Jumpin Aire 3rd race Ellis. She was 4/1 loading, 7/2 through the quarter mile with a 5 lg. lead, then BAM!, 2/1.

I have a T1 connection with frequent refresh on the tote, and it certainly appears that the action came post break.

Anyone else catch this?

On the replay the horse is 2-1 after the first quarter mile.

castaway01
09-02-2009, 08:49 AM
On the replay the horse is 2-1 after the first quarter mile.

Don't let facts get involved in our paranoia! :)

johnhenry81
09-02-2009, 10:35 AM
My post noted that the odds changes were observed from the tote page (which was bris) and not the live video.

The video did not show the running order and odds of those leaders until they ran almost 2 furlongs, and at that point the order and odds of 2/1 were shown.

There were about 20 seconds where a past post could have been made on a horse that opened up by 4 or 5 quickly.

Heck, given that advantage even I or Todd Schrupp could cash a ticket on occasion.

CBedo
09-02-2009, 11:31 AM
My post noted that the odds changes were observed from the tote page (which was bris) and not the live video.So you are basing your belief that a past posting incdient occurred on a tote that is clearly almost always behind the tracks's tote cycle? :bang:

If you really believe you are constantly disadvantaged by these types of things, then why do you bet into such a negative expectation gamble? That's like sitting down in a fixed poker game that you know is fixed, and losing your money anyway

Just to note the other side, I had a 3/1 horse that jumped out to an easy lead out of the gate, was crusing along easily (with the 9/5 favorite in the rear of the field), and his odds changed too! I don't know hwo they cheated me, but somehow I got 11.00. It's a conspiracy!

46zilzal
09-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Racing simulcast money goes through 5 national HUBS before it goes to the receiving track. It takes TIME for all that rush of late money to be accounted for EXACTLY the same way the ticker gets delayed at the stock market. No one is cheating you.

johnhenry81
09-02-2009, 02:40 PM
After seeing the responses, let me be the first... or last to say I may have over reacted. The circumstances including the win pool inefficiency etc. though, boiled my blood.

CBedo
09-02-2009, 08:02 PM
After seeing the responses, let me be the first... or last to say I may have over reacted. The circumstances including the win pool inefficiency etc. though, boiled my blood.It happens. And if the industry had done anything in the last few years to fix their blunders and shows us that there is pool integrity, then we all wouldn't have to wonder about it every time something like this happens.

The fact that all have to worry and wonder about it speaks volumes.....

lamboguy
09-02-2009, 08:32 PM
After seeing the responses, let me be the first... or last to say I may have over reacted. The circumstances including the win pool inefficiency etc. though, boiled my blood.don't get to upset,these things happen and if you are to continue betting on horse racing you will see alot more of this until they can figure out or even see there is inefficiencies in the wagering system. i just learned something new today, there are now 5 hubs that are all agreeing on the same horses all the time. maybe this is not such an isolated case!!

PaceAdvantage
09-04-2009, 12:54 AM
EXACTLY the same way the ticker gets delayed at the stock market. No one is cheating you.No ticker delay for me at my online broker....real time, as it happens....same at all the other online brokers...