PDA

View Full Version : Reason for Whipping Poll

Pacingguy
08-31-2009, 08:38 AM
The reason I was asking the poll questions was that the Ontario Racing Commission is implementing new rules regarding the 'urging' or horses in standardbred and thoroughbred racing starting September 1. Among the reasons given for making the rule changes were to improve the welfare of the horse, respond to the changing attitudes toward animal welfare, and to attempt to attract new fans (gamblers) who according to the racetracks would not attend the races due to the current whipping going on. Prior to making the rule change, the racing commission relied upon comments made by those in the industry as well supporting information; of which the Grand River survey was one of them. I was curious to see what the results of the survey would be here.

The links to this information is listed below. The rule was formulated not in a vacuum, but with the support of the horsemen (for sure not every horsemen agreed with it). I will leave it to you to read the new rules (it is not long).

Rules: http://www.ontarioracingcommission.ca/uploadedFiles/2009%20SB%20Directive%205.pdf

Fines and Additional Info: http://www.ontarioracingcommission.ca/uploadedFiles/2009%20Policy%20Directive%202%20-%20Penalty%20Guidelines%20Standardbred%20-%20Urging%20the%20Horse%20August%202009.pdf

wilderness
08-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Prior to making the rule change, the racing commission relied upon comments made by those in the industry as well supporting information;

Pacingguy,
It was actually more than that.
There was a trial period for the procedure at WEG.
I'm thinking the period was a month, however I could be mistaken.

kenwoodallpromos
08-31-2009, 11:32 AM
1) Have drivers practrice bait casting for practice of .03 1 + 2;
2) Make whips 6' and put a carrot on the end;
3) Move the track to Quebec, where the public eats horsemeat;
4) LOL!!
Once the rules are in place, a split screen video should be made showing the difference in whipping.
I have a document showing my great great grandmother bought a black mule and buggy at an estate sale in the 1870's. She was not racing but I doubt she looked like a fireball pitcher trying to whip the equine!

Pacingguy
08-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Pacingguy,
It was actually more than that.
There was a trial period for the procedure at WEG.
I'm thinking the period was a month, however I could be mistaken.

The trial period is over. This is a permanent change throughout the province.

Pacingguy
08-31-2009, 11:58 AM
1) Have drivers practrice bait casting for practice of .03 1 + 2;
2) Make whips 6' and put a carrot on the end;
3) Move the track to Quebec, where the public eats horsemeat;
4) LOL!!
Once the rules are in place, a split screen video should be made showing the difference in whipping.
I have a document showing my great great grandmother bought a black mule and buggy at an estate sale in the 1870's. She was not racing but I doubt she looked like a fireball pitcher trying to whip the equine!

Kenwood, through my great intuitive skills I have come to a conclusion that you are not a fan of the new rules. I can respect that. My personal feeling is these changes are good, not only is it the right thing to do, but as the public's tolerance of what happens to animals has changed quite a bit over the years if we don't change, the easier it will be for animal rights groups, not just PETA, to get harness racing banned. Note what has been happening to greyhound racing. I think this is a good compromise between business as usual and those that want no whipping at all.

My guess is unless someone is sitting there looking for the differences no one will notice; the change to the outcome of races will be insignificant. If a horse does react differently to the new whipping rules, it will be reflected in the past performance lines of races after the September 1 implementataion of the rules.

wilderness
08-31-2009, 12:05 PM
The trial period is over. This is a permanent change throughout the province.

I realize that.

Get used to it!
It's the industry trend for the future.

ALostTexan
08-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Everyone complains that the sport needs new fans, and that we need to be on TV, and on and on and on. But in this day and age it is difficult to seriously try to bring a family to the racetrack when little Billy is constantly asking "Why are they beating the horses?"

Everyone that closely follows the sport knows that they are, for the most part, not hurting the horses, and most often the driver is hitting the sulky. But people outside of the sport, those that everyone believes and knows we need to attract to the game, don't understand the whipping, and any amount of fan education isn't going to change the image that drivers are beating horses.

Give the drivers a whip, and if they feel that they are in danger, let them use the whip for their protection, the protection of their horse, and the protection of everyone else in the race. Just make sure that they understand that they will be disqualified and placed last if they use it. Let's see how that changes the use of the whip.