PDA

View Full Version : Fences

chickenhead
08-30-2009, 09:15 PM
I like travelling around, seeing new places. I like the little differences between people. We recently made a trip back East; New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia.

The first thing I noticed, is why is Delaware even a state. It's lame. Anyway, the other thing I couldn't help but notice was the lack of fences in Virginia. Nice large lots, well spaced houses, and nothing but green grass between them (kudos on the lawn care, btw). This isn't the first state I've been to where people don't seem to believe in fences, but it's the most recent. So I ask you people from the land of no fences, What's up with that?

Do people have fences where you live? If not, why not? Do you like your neighbors and any passerby being able to see your every move? If you put a fence up would the neighbors talk a bunch of smack about you?

The few houses with fenced backyards we saw, we just assumed those people must be transplants from somewhere out West. I know it's not just a rural thing, I grew up in very rural California...and most everyone has a fence blocking something..either their neighbors or the road. Are the fenceless people the normal ones, and us Westerners just suspicious and secretive by nature?

What's going on here, people?

cj's dad
08-30-2009, 09:44 PM
why is Delaware even a state. It's lame.

The 1st state has some really beautiful beachfront homes on the Atlantic Ocean along with resorts that are very family oriented. Rehobeth Beach, Dewey Beach and Bethany Beach are really nice places to spend a week or two in the summer.

And yes, fenceless property is the norm in the Mid-Atlantic states.

chickenhead
08-30-2009, 09:51 PM
The 1st state has some really beautiful beachfront homes on the Atlantic Ocean along with resorts that are very family oriented. Rehobeth Beach, Dewey Beach and Bethany Beach are really nice places to spend a week or two in the summer.

I'm knocking the state lines of the whole thing, not what is there. I loved the area. That little isthmus or whatever you want to call it should either all be Maryland or all be Delaware...splitting it up like they did is just a little bit crazy.

NJ Stinks
08-30-2009, 09:52 PM
We've got a 6 foot cedar privacy fence around our backyard, Chickenhead. Mainly because we have a small backyard and new neighbors moved in behind us. They had 4 little kids and an above-ground pool.

We wanted some privacy so we did the neighborly thing and gave them some! :cool:

chickenhead
08-30-2009, 09:59 PM
NJ was another nice surprise...we went across Staten Island and south down the shore, then across from AC on 40...I assume we must have dodged all the worst parts of NJ...what we saw was all very nice, especially on that drive across.

NJ Stinks
08-30-2009, 10:11 PM
NJ was another nice surprise...we went across Staten Island and south down the shore, then across from AC on 40...I assume we must have dodged all the worst parts of NJ...what we saw was all very nice, especially on that drive across.

Most of NJ is fine. And besides the shore, the most picturesque part is the northwest part of the state.

It's the NJ Turnpike that gives NJ a bad name. Many out-of-staters use it and up north it looks exactly like it does at the beginning of the Sopranos - lots of oil terminals, some refinerys, and, of course, the chemical plants. Not a pretty picture for sure.

Tom
08-30-2009, 10:19 PM
I have an 8 foot stockade fence around my yard - city ordinances wouldn't let me put up the gun turrets. Good fences make good neighbors. Good turrets make good shots.

chickenhead
08-30-2009, 10:28 PM
And yes, fenceless property is the norm in the Mid-Atlantic states.

Do you guys just never pee outside then? Like after a barbeque, and you've just seen the last guest off, and you've drank way to much beer, and the wife is busy inside cleaning up so she won't even yell at you about it? These are some of life's simple pleasures...

Dave Schwartz
08-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Do you guys just never pee outside then? Like after a barbeque, and you've just seen the last guest off, and you've drank way to much beer, and the wife is busy inside cleaning up so she won't even yell at you about it? These are some of life's simple pleasures...

Mr. Majestic,

LOL - Most of us have (and use) indoor plumbing. :lol:

Dave

boxcar
08-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Mr. Majestic,

LOL - Most of us have (and use) indoor plumbing. :lol:

Dave

And for those amongst who are fond of peeing outside, what's wrong with building an outhouse? (Or would that not be risque enough for you? :rolleyes: In this day and age, I'd image a real fancy one could be built -- complete with lights, magazine rack for #2 visits, tiny portable overhead TV, a small sink and other similar amenities.

Boxcar

chickenhead
08-30-2009, 11:07 PM
all indoor plumbing offers a somewhat drunk man who finds himself outside, needing to take a leak (a man with a FENCE) is an extra walk, and a high probability of making a mess once he gets there.

I dodge the small stresses in life wherever possible...that's why I'm going to live to be 1000.

Warren Henry
08-31-2009, 12:43 AM
I don't like fence. The neighbors all have chain link, but I don't own any. Even though I live in a neighborhood with relatively small back yards, I still occasionally pee outside. I have trees and it is dark in my yard. If I drink the beer outside, it only makes sense to leave it there.

dav4463
08-31-2009, 01:22 AM
In Texas we have barbed wire and electric fences. You may be able to see us outside, but you have trouble getting in the property. Also, if you do pee outside...avoid that electric fence!

juanepstein
08-31-2009, 02:12 AM
we need fences in california to hide our weed. :cool:

GameTheory
08-31-2009, 03:50 AM
Not to get off-topic, but I recently spent a week in a beach house at Broadkill Beach (on the bay, near Lewes). The house and the beach was perfectly nice, and there were a few other bright spots; but I must say that I found Delaware in general to be an awful place full of awful people. I was expecting a quaint little area -- just horrible. Luckily, you can get yourself out-of-state from any point within it within 45 minutes.

I used to get into arguments (for seemingly no reason) with a poster on this board from Delaware, and used to think, "Gee, what's his problem?" Now I know -- being from Delaware pretty much explains it.

jognlope
08-31-2009, 06:03 AM
I grew up in Tidewater area of Va, no fences, just big, big yards, 2 to 3 acres per house. Now I'm in NY, it's a mix.