PDA

View Full Version : How old are these horses (in months)?

Dan H
08-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Using horses from Race 7 at DMR on 22 Aug 2009, how many months old are these two-year olds?

1 Who’s Up Ch c. 2 (Jan)
2 Oceanographer B c. 2 (Feb)
3 Toro Trippi Ch c. 2 (Mar)

My follow up question is whether the horse's actual age is a handicapping factor at the MSW level? (CJ has on old post here that places some value on them.) I wish to add exact ages as an impact value to my MSW handicapping but can't get my head around this simple math.

Overlay
08-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Reckoning from the first day of their birth months (which I believe would be the correct assumption, since they would all turn one on 1 January of the year following their birth year), their ages in months would be 31 (almost 32), 30 (almost 31), and 29 (almost 30), respectively. (Reckoning from the last day of their birth months (if that is the correct procedure), the ages in months would 30 (almost 31), 29 (almost 30), and 28 (almost 29).)

Nothing to contribute on your follow-up question (sorry).

macguy
08-30-2009, 07:40 PM
If a thoroughbred is a two year old this year, than they were born in the year 2007.

Therefore...

1 Who’s Up Ch c. 2 (Jan '07) is 32 months in August.
2 Oceanographer B c. 2 (Feb '07) is 31 months in August.
3 Toro Trippi Ch c. 2 (Mar '07) is 30 months in August.

Hmmm... hope I did the Math right... :bang:

edit -- Guess not. :D

LottaKash
08-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Yikes !...How did I get to be 764-mos. old ?...:cool:

best,

bisket
08-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Using horses from Race 7 at DMR on 22 Aug 2009, how many months old are these two-year olds?

1 Who’s Up Ch c. 2 (Jan)
2 Oceanographer B c. 2 (Feb)
3 Toro Trippi Ch c. 2 (Mar)

My follow up question is whether the horse's actual age is a handicapping factor at the MSW level? (CJ has on old post here that places some value on them.) I wish to add exact ages as an impact value to my MSW handicapping but can't get my head around this simple math.
dan i really don't use this in my handicapping as far as the amount of months a horse's age is. along these lines though certain stallions and mares do have a track record of there foals being a little ahead of the other horses as far as development. some that come to mind: holy bull, macho uno. i'll keep this in mind though. i have a hard time remembering names, but when i see them in the form i'll begin listing some of the others. i'm sure theres other handicappers on the board who do give some weight to this and can list them. when i see some of these stallions and dams while i'm handicapping i'll list them for you. going forward

kenwoodallpromos
08-31-2009, 02:00 AM
Maybe you can check how many months old they were at their first workout? How many and how recent of gate works?

stu
08-31-2009, 10:31 AM
Who’s Up was foaled on 1/27/2007
Oceanographer was foaled on 2/11/2007
Toro Trippi was foaled on 3/14/2007

The foaling dates are tracked by the Jockey Club and their companies.

Outside of the racing office, the only place that I have seen the foaling dates is for the winner on Equibase charts.

A couple of times I made an attempt to derive a "precocity index" to see if certain bloodlines produced more prodigies or late-bloomers. Without having easier access to the birthdates, the task was too time consuming and thus I dropped the effort.

I do think that it matters as my instincts tell me that foals of GOLD CASE when earlier (in chronilogical age) than those of CONCERN.

In the whole nature vs. nurture debate, it might be more important to know how well Kathy Walsh, David Hofmans, etc do with horses of different ages. For example, give me a horse with a late-blooming pedigree trained by Wesley Ward.

Dan H
08-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks to all for the information,

Dan H

fmolf
09-01-2009, 08:44 PM
I do use it in my handicapping and prefer horses foaled in jan/feb for the first two months of baby races .then i add march foals to my selction as the year goes on.At two i feel that horses foaled earlier may be slightly more mature physically and mentally as well.