PDA

View Full Version : Whipping Questionnaire - Question 5

Pacingguy
08-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Last year a questionnaire regarding whipping was asked of patrons at Grand River Raceway. Six questions were asked. I think it would be interesting to ask the same questions here.

kenwoodallpromos
08-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Since I think harness drivers look silly when the whip is used, and the drivers look like they are the ones "rearing" back and hitting the horses as hard as they can no matter what position they are in, and I cannot figure out how to pick them anyway, I think any use of the whip in harness racing is stupid. I do think, however, that the whip used would look neat when watching an S + M video, there could be some use for them in hitting huimans!

Greyfox
08-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Geez. There must have been an easier way to present the Questionnaire than the way it's presented on this board. I mean couldn't you have done it on one thread instead of 6?

Sea Biscuit
08-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Geez. There must have been an easier way to present the Questionnaire than the way it's presented on this board. I mean couldn't you have done it on one thread instead of 6?

You took the words right out of my mouth, Greyfox.

Sea Biscuit

Sea Biscuit
08-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Since I think harness drivers look silly when the whip is used, and the drivers look like they are the ones "rearing" back and hitting the horses as hard as they can no matter what position they are in, and I cannot figure out how to pick them anyway, I think any use of the whip in harness racing is stupid. I do think, however, that the whip used would look neat when watching an S + M video, there could be some use for them in hitting huimans!

Kenwood: Whipping a horse is stupid in harness racing and I suppose its fantastic in thoroughbred.

Is that what you are really saying?

Sea Biscuit.

botster
08-30-2009, 03:11 PM
The whip is a very useful tool in keeping bad actors corrected for a driver.

Example...MANY times the first instinct a standardbred has when breaking stride is to SLOW DOWN,OR PLANT HIS TOES INTO THE GROUND.A drastic change in speed especially in the harness game could be,and has been disasterous, because of how our races have the horses lined up so closely in tiers.When this occures a driver needs to use the whip to get his horse to pick up his running speed, so to not cause traveling horses cause the domino effect behind him.Controlling a standardbred can be very difficult at times,because of the distance we are sitting behind the horse.When a jockey feels that a horse is beginning to act like he may stumble, his reaction time IS MUCH MORE INCREASED, logically, because of the distance from reign to bit and the angle that he is positioned.

Standardbreds are broken as babies with the whip when line driving them.That education they recieve when they are young is good for them.They learn to be disciplined when acting on the track.That education they learn carries over to the track and they will be responsive when a driver uses the whip appropiatley during his or her races.

kenwoodallpromos
08-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Kenwood: Whipping a horse is stupid in harness racing and I suppose its fantastic in thoroughbred.

Is that what you are really saying?

Sea Biscuit.
I said I think it looks silly, and I did not see the sense in it. Howevewr, Botster in the post below mine IMO gave as excellent explaination of the proper use of the whip in harness racing, so this thread gave me an education and I now agree with using whips in harness racing. My excuse for not answering abot TBred whips is I do not want to speak off-topic!LOL!!

Pacingguy
08-31-2009, 07:15 AM

The board only allows one poll per question. If I put all the questions in one post, I would have had to manually tablulate. By using the poll option, everyone quickly sees the results.

Pacingguy
08-31-2009, 07:17 AM
The whip is a very useful tool in keeping bad actors corrected for a driver.

Example...MANY times the first instinct a standardbred has when breaking stride is to SLOW DOWN,OR PLANT HIS TOES INTO THE GROUND.A drastic change in speed especially in the harness game could be,and has been disasterous, because of how our races have the horses lined up so closely in tiers.When this occures a driver needs to use the whip to get his horse to pick up his running speed, so to not cause traveling horses cause the domino effect behind him.Controlling a standardbred can be very difficult at times,because of the distance we are sitting behind the horse.When a jockey feels that a horse is beginning to act like he may stumble, his reaction time IS MUCH MORE INCREASED, logically, because of the distance from reign to bit and the angle that he is positioned.

Standardbreds are broken as babies with the whip when line driving them.That education they recieve when they are young is good for them.They learn to be disciplined when acting on the track.That education they learn carries over to the track and they will be responsive when a driver uses the whip appropiatley during his or her races.

There is a reason I am asking these poll questions. I will start a new thread explaining why. Suffice it to say your concern is addressed.