PDA

View Full Version : Richard Shapiro: "Mandater" of Cal Synthetics

Jeff Mende
08-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Daily Racing Form

Del Mar | Posted 8/19/2009, 7:50 pm

Shapiro pleads no contest to keying car

By Steve Andersen
DEL MAR, Calif.- Richard Shapiro, the former chairman of the California Horse Racing Board, pleaded no contest earlier this week to misdemeanor charges of vandalizing horse owner Jerry Jamgotchian's car with a key at Hollywood Park in April.

At a hearing on Tuesday, Shapiro, 56, was sentenced to three years of informal probation and must pay $6,800 in damages to Jamgotchian, a horse owner and an outspoken critic of Shapiro and the racing board in recent years.

The incident occurred on the same day as a racing board hearing at Hollywood Park. Shapiro was not at the meeting as chairman, having resigned from the racing board last December.

Shapiro, who was racing board chairman for four years, was charged with felony vandalism in July, but reached an agreement on a lesser charge with the district attorney's office.

Shapiro joined the racing board in 2004 and left last fall after learning he had lost significant money in the Bernard Madoff investment scandal.

-----

The New York Times

One Madoff Victim Speaks
March 10, 2009, 5:32 pm

Dozens of letters from victims of Bernard L. Madoff have poured into federal district court in lower Manhattan before his expected guilty plea on Thursday.

In one letter obtained by Dealbook, Richard B. Shapiro, who had his life savings with Mr. Madoff and has now been left penniless, compared the crime to a rape.

“The truth is we were raped and he should be treated no differently than any rapist,” Mr. Shapiro wrote in a letter to the court, referring to Mr. Madoff. “Any notion that he, or any of his family and cohorts will be left with any assets is abhorrent to us.”

After learning of Mr. Madoff’s crime on Dec. 11, Mr. Shapiro says he went into a “deep depression,” didn’t leave his house for nearly a month and lost 30 pounds after fearing that his wife and children would be left homeless. “I had no desire to live, no prospects of earnings a living, no way to pay the bills,” he said.

He has put his house in Hidden Hills, Calif. on sale, cut back on discretionary expenses and is now back to working seven days a week after retiring four years ago.

Mr. Shapiro, who is 55 years old, said he felt glad that Mr. Madoff had decided to plead guilty and will likely serve a life sentence.

“I hope he is incarcerated with other rapists, not fellow scam artists that can laugh about the frauds they perpetrated,” he wrote to DealBook in an e-mail message. “More importantly, I hope that as part of any plea, he has to disclose where the money is, where it went, and that his family is forced to live comparable to many victims; poverty and despair.”

–Zachery Kouwe

andymays
08-30-2009, 03:27 AM
Richard Shapiro along with a handful of other characters in California really did a number on California racing. The problem is that he still has an influence.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/49311/shapiro-allied-with-new-calif-group?id=49311&source=enewsletter

Excerpt:

Richard Shapiro, former chairman of the California Horse Racing Board, has been hired as a consultant by the newly-formed California Horse Racing Alliance. Craig Fravel, the alliance’s president and the executive vice-president of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, confirmed the hiring of Shapiro shortly after the group’s formation in recent weeks.

samyn on the green
08-30-2009, 03:43 AM
This man must be hapless. Everything he touches; from other peoples vehicles, to the racetracks he is in charge of, even his own savings account turns to dust.

kenwoodallpromos
08-30-2009, 04:23 AM
I do political petitioning in Ca; so I know how numbers games work. How many bettors usually show up at the typical racing board meetings in various states?

JustRalph
08-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Madoff's victims all had one thing in common

They never heard of the word "diversification"

Wayne Rogers: "Madoff has killed more Jews than Hitler"

rrbauer
08-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Why isn't this thread in "Off Topic"?

Bruddah
08-30-2009, 09:10 AM
As much as I disagreed with Mr Shapiro, when it came to racing issues, I take no pleasure in seeing the man and his family financially devastated. May he find a brighter and happier day very soon.

PaceAdvantage
08-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Why isn't this thread in "Off Topic"?Because it's about a man who used to play an important role in Southern California's Thoroughrbred racing scene.

exiles
08-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Why isn't this thread in "Off Topic"?

Because its about the man who singlehandedly ruined one of the best racing circuits in the country!!!

andymays
08-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Because its about the man who singlehandedly ruined one of the best racing circuits in the country!!!

He had some help from some people who are still pulling strings to this day. One is his buddy Craig Fravel of Del Mar.

See post #2 in this thread!

Jeff Mende
08-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Executive Vice President Craig Fravel:

craig@dmtc.com

The Blood Horse

Shapiro 'Allied' with New Calif. Group
By Tracy Gantz
Updated: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:52 AM
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 5:53 PM

Richard Shapiro, former chairman of the California Horse Racing Board, has been hired as a consultant by the newly-formed California Horse Racing Alliance. Craig Fravel, the alliance’s president and the executive vice-president of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, confirmed the hiring of Shapiro shortly after the group’s formation in recent weeks.

The alliance represents California’s racetracks and horsemen’s groups, including the Thoroughbred Owners of California, California Thoroughbred Trainers, and California Thoroughbred Breeders Association, said Fravel. TOC chair Marsha Naify serves as the CHRA’s vice president.

Imriledup
08-30-2009, 11:17 PM

craig@dmtc.com

The Blood Horse

By Tracy Gantz

The alliance represents California’s racetracks and horsemen’s groups, including the Thoroughbred Owners of California, California Thoroughbred Trainers, and California Thoroughbred Breeders Association, said Fravel. TOC chair Marsha Naify serves as the CHRA’s vice president.

Amazing.

andymays
09-01-2009, 07:36 AM
SHAPIRO ISSUES LETTER OF APOLOGY REGARDING JAMGOTCHIAN INCIDENT

http://www.paulickreport.com/

Because of the format I couldn't copy and paste an excerpt of the letter.

Jeff Mende
09-01-2009, 01:17 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/pdf/richard01.pdf

Imagine, if you will, you are the lawyer defending Richard Shapiro in the car-keying case of outspoken owner and synthetic-opponent Jerry Jamgotchian.

Would you advise Mr. Shapiro to apologize to Mr. Jamgotchian at the trial, or wait until the judge sentences you to three years informal probation before you see the light?

Sincerity ...

or ...

damage containment?

andymays
09-01-2009, 02:04 PM
I received this at 10:31 AM Possible Prank?????

I deleted Jamgotchian personal email address and Ray Paulick personal email address!

To: raypaulick, Sent: 9/1/2009 10:27:32 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: SHAPIRO'S "ALLEGED" OPEN LETTER

Ray Paulick:

Please be advised that this "alleged" Richard Shapiro apology letter that you posted on your website today (see below) might NOT be authentic. To date, no such letter has been transmitted to me or my legal counsel from Shapiro or his legal counsel, Frank Nemecek.

You might be falling prey to a "trickster" Ray, so please check this out because, to my knowledge, Shapiro has made no such apology or admission that he is guilty of the crime he committed.....

Jerry Jamgotchian

http://www.paulickreport.com/wp-content/uploads/image/pdfs/richard01.pdf

ddog
09-01-2009, 04:13 PM

craig@dmtc.com

The Blood Horse

By Tracy Gantz

the dude runs around keying cars, what advice would you want to take from a 56year old juvenile delinquent?

You can't make this stuff up.
:D