PDA

View Full Version : HANDIFAST VERSION X

Pages : [1] 2

douglasw32
08-28-2009, 11:32 PM
http://localpcpros.com/HandiFAST_Version_X.exe

Okay, I know, I know...But I just can not help myself sometimes.

Improvements...Ranks FTS on factors other than Speed and Pace (obviously)
But only compare FTS to other FTS.

Has an improved MUD figure. That calculates for Grass moved to dirt.

Automatic adjustment for Dirt/Turf/All Weather.

Changes the way the software is opened, One button opens, handi's add on, the summary and the default program your chosen datafile uses.

Of course once this happens you need to choose the files for those two programs, after the summary opens in your browser, but it saves me some mouse clicks. Since I use all 3.

Leaves the program open so more info can be gathered using the HandicapperDaily web page... and Ray's Exacta and Dutching programs.

The fast figure itself is improved.

Uses your own browser of choice now instead of Chrome.

and the best part, RUNS UNDER LINUX using WINE again!

Is a much smaller download

It can be run from anywhere again and pull data from anywhere (I know some like to handicap on other peoples computers without the need to install)

Note: to use handi's you still need to throw the data files into C:\Horse\Data\

And includes a folder with all of the source code.

Printing has to be set to landscape.

Enjoy.

Many have asked for the original version and it is still here... but I really would not trust that FAST figure compared to what handi's and the new one does.

http://localpcpros.com/FASTv8.exe

:)

douglasw32
08-29-2009, 12:16 AM
Had to reupload with a change, Linux did not like the Bris Custom PP's so it had to be put into a button instead.

Get it after 12:30am Eastern Time to be sure you have the newest one the background is now GREEN

:blush:

douglasw32
08-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Okay it works in linux good enough for now, I ran out of time for programming this week.

The Data Reader button will not work.
nor the handicappers daily, or the dutching program

If you navigate to the fast folder in linux you can open the handicappers daily link.

The instructions do not show, so I have some bugs to fix and I will need to rethink how the button work.

Good enough for now and it runs fine under windows.

douglasw32
08-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Well it works but, you have to go to the virtual WINE C: in linux and then open the racedata.htm file manually, but it does do the calculations, looks like I will have to build a linux only version that runs under wine. I'll put that on the todo list.

douglasw32
08-30-2009, 12:53 AM
Saratoga Challenge - Saturday, August 29, 2009 All horse entry submissions are now final for this event.

Horses Selected By: douglasw32

Track Name Race Date Race Post Time (ET) Selected Horse Finish Position Win Payoff Place Payoff

Saratoga 8/29/09 5 1:45 PM Stratos 7
Saratoga 8/29/09 6 2:20 PM Lease of Life 3
Saratoga 8/29/09 7 2:55 PM Bold Union 2 $ 4.00
Saratoga 8/29/09 8 3:30 PM Our Dark Knight 2 $ 8.90
Saratoga 8/29/09 9 4:05 PM Rutherienne 2 $ 3.40
Saratoga 8/29/09 10 4:38 PM Music Note 1 $ 13.60 $ 5.10
Saratoga 8/29/09 11 5:10 PM Capt. Candyman Can 1 $ 9.80 $ 4.50
Saratoga 8/29/09 12 5:46 PM Hold Me Back 2 $ 12.40
Win and Place Payoff Scores:
$ 23.40 $ 38.30 Overall Score: $ 61.70

I am uploading an updated version that fixes the linux issues.
Runs well under WINE with some TLC.

douglasw32
08-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Good call, "When I try to install this, the install program doesn't allow me to browse to a folder/directory and wants to install it in the root (C:\) directory."

I fixed the installer... should work just fine from a usb stick on a host computer.

fight
08-30-2009, 10:33 AM
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO DO SCRATCHES?
I HAVE THEM ON NOTE PAD THEN WHAT PLEASE HELP NOTEPAD NOT SCRATCHING. DO I CHOOSE FILE THEN NOTEPAD I GOT FROM BRIS THEN WHAT .ALL IN CALITALS IF THERE ARE 3 SCRATCHES IN A RACE I HAVE THEM IN ONELINE OR DO THEY EACH GO ON A SEPRATELINE PLEASE HELP TY

lsosa54
08-30-2009, 11:41 AM
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO DO SCRATCHES?
I HAVE THEM ON NOTE PAD THEN WHAT PLEASE HELP NOTEPAD NOT SCRATCHING. DO I CHOOSE FILE THEN NOTEPAD I GOT FROM BRIS THEN WHAT .ALL IN CALITALS IF THERE ARE 3 SCRATCHES IN A RACE I HAVE THEM IN ONELINE OR DO THEY EACH GO ON A SEPRATELINE PLEASE HELP TY

Open Version X
Click on Open Handicappers Daily
Go down a bit and click on Bris Scratches for SCRATCH FILE, which will take you over to the BRIS daily scratches.
Choose your track, select all, and copy the scratches
Click "Scratch em'" in version X to open up the notepad file "todays_scratches.txt
Paste the scratches into this blank file
Make your adjustments and save the file
Now open up the summary and you're all set.

To make your adjustments, I attached 2 txt files for yesterday's DMR card: the one I copied from BRIS and what I changed it to to save it within FAST.

fight
08-30-2009, 12:34 PM
great directions worked nicely. ty you much

lsosa54
08-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Doug: Something's not right with the sp1 figs - they are not the last BRIS speed fig.

redhorse
08-31-2009, 08:00 AM
Are these selections based on the top FAST rating or did you anything else.

Thank you

douglasw32
08-31-2009, 08:21 AM
Doug: Something's not right with the sp1 figs - they are not the last BRIS speed fig.

Thanks you are correct it is displaying the distance ability

I have a few bugs to work out still, getting some good feedback.

Most people want the two programs split up..

The factors that make the FAST fig to show..(Class, pcr, etc)

The config file to "put value on certain factors"

So now that everyone has seen every version I have "played with"

What is missing that you liked ???

In the version X that has the best figure.
(Well other than sorting)

I was thinking of pulling the "CLOSER LOOK" in from the DRF filr if you had formulator and TSN or BRIS. Interesting enough I tried using the BEYER FIGURES in place of the BRIS ones and it destroy the program.

douglasw32
08-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Top 3 OFF tracks, then I went to the top 3 FAST, looked at any that had both, then went to the AVP took it dow to 2 horses then decided by Race shape.

Lots of E, E/P then I looked for the P or S, etc

Pcon04
08-31-2009, 09:17 AM
douglas

I'd like a way to not have any page breaks.I don't see why it prints 2
races on a page save a tree .I'd wish for 4 races on a page if you can't make page breaks go away.

Also I'd like a way to see where it race its last race or a least an S for shipper some where.

Pc

Wickel
08-31-2009, 11:46 AM
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not in the least comfortable when it comes to installing software. I successfully installed the previous version of HandiFast, although it was a struggle. The trouble I ran into was downloading BRIS and TIS files. I downloaded the Version X, but couldn't find where it went. There were questions about creating a "path" and installing "Creator," which I did, but I had no idea what I was doing. So my question is, do you have a detailed list of instructions--step by step-for installing your software, especially with creating a path and directory, etc.? If it's too much of a hassle, don't worry about it. Everyone once in a while, after downloading TIS files, I get lucky and am able to load them. Just wanted to have everything work in unison. Thanks for your help and patience through this process.

Tom Barrister
08-31-2009, 12:16 PM
do you have a detailed list of instructions--step by step-for installing your software, especially with creating a path and directory, etc.?

If you didn't change anything, version X should be installed in C:\Fast.

Here are detailed instructions on installing version X:

1) Click on the link and choose "Run"

2) If you get a "Publisher not verified" warning, choose "Run"

3) If you get a warning that the software was installed already, install it again.

3) Click on "Next", "Accept", "Next", "Next", "Next", and "Install".

4) When the installer finishes, you'll see a popup window. If three checkboxes exist (which they will if you haven't installed the software yet). Uncheck all three boxes and click on "Finish".

5) There should be a "Fast" icon (a picture of a jockey in red and green silks) on the Desktop. Double Click on it to open the program.

I recommend that you keep an independent folder for your BRIS/TSN files, so that you can use them with multiple programs if you wish.

Wickel
08-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks, Tom. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight. Sorry for any inconvenience.

headhawg
09-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Question for Handifast users: in another thread there was a concern about the program when the screen resolution was 1024 x 768 (or less, I would suspect). Some people increased their screen resolution to 1280 X 800+ to solve the summary display problem. I was wondering if that still is an issue. I know of one person who still has his rez at 1024 x 768 and has difficulty seeing the summary screen as the left side (horses, program numbers) is cut off. Anyone else?

dirt
09-01-2009, 02:54 AM
I have mine set at 1024 x 768 and am unable to see the left side.

Roger
09-01-2009, 05:00 AM

Same here!

Roger,

douglasw32
09-01-2009, 07:38 AM
If you didn't change anything, version X should be installed in C:\Fast.

Here are detailed instructions on installing version X:

1) Click on the link and choose "Run"

2) If you get a "Publisher not verified" warning, choose "Run"

3) If you get a warning that the software was installed already, install it again.

3) Click on "Next", "Accept", "Next", "Next", "Next", and "Install".

4) When the installer finishes, you'll see a popup window. If three checkboxes exist (which they will if you haven't installed the software yet). Uncheck all three boxes and click on "Finish".

5) There should be a "Fast" icon (a picture of a jockey in red and green silks) on the Desktop. Double Click on it to open the program.

I recommend that you keep an independent folder for your BRIS/TSN files, so that you can use them with multiple programs if you wish.

And the "Path config button" can be ignored, to get to the downloads, open the button that says Handicappers Daily =)

douglasw32
09-01-2009, 07:41 AM

Are you all referring to the HANDI add on or the Summary.

(The sortable program or the one that opens in your web browser)

The sortable one handi (before his health set backl) was working on scroll bars, I think... I can no t help in that arena since I have not learned liberty basic.

If it is the Summary, that would open in your web browser and should have scroll bars to move right to left just like up and down.

dirt
09-01-2009, 08:33 AM
The Handifast add on program.

headhawg
09-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Ok, that's a least a few people who have the problem. I am working on a fix so those who use 1024 x 768 will be able to see the left side. There will likely still be some scrolling involved to see the last 3 or 4 columns of numbers on the right, but it should (hopefully) be an improvement.

Possibly I will have this done today, but we will have to see.

dartman51
09-01-2009, 10:27 AM
I beleive the 1024x768 is only a problem on a standard screen. My laptop has a standard screen, and it has that problem, but my PC has a wide screen and does NOT have a problem. Both computers are set at 1024x768. In the meantime, if you use your mouse, and grab the bottom of the screen, and move it up, just slightly, you will see just enough of the TOP BAR that you can grab and drag to the center. Hope this helps.:ThmbUp:

Roger
09-01-2009, 10:37 AM
I beleive the 1024x768 is only a problem on a standard screen. My laptop has a standard screen, and it has that problem, but my PC has a wide screen and does NOT have a problem. Both computers are set at 1024x768. In the meantime, if you use your mouse, and grab the bottom of the screen, and move it up, just slightly, you will see just enough of the TOP BAR that you can grab and drag to the center. Hope this helps.:ThmbUp:

That's exactly correct...you can stretch it enough to see the maximize button at the top, but in my case there is still some speed numbers that are partially blocked even after maximizing...you can scroll back and forth, but the figures then don't match the template at the top...doable but inconvenient. Not complaining at all, just adding some feedback which may help.

Great Job Handi..Hope you are feeling better!

Roger,

headhawg
09-01-2009, 10:45 AM
I think that I have fixed the problem for those who don't have widescreens and are using 1024 X 768. It has been tested on two Windows XP machines and seems fine.

I have made some additional changes which users may or may not like. There are no more sort buttons. It was a coding hassle to make them move when the screen was scrolled. Not usually a problem when using a high screen resolution and everything fits on the summary screen, but some times scrolling was needed and the buttons were stationary. Not a big deal, but my change is that you can now double-click anywhere in a column that is sortable and that column will be sorted as Handi coded it.

Also, the colors for the summary screen have changed: the background color is the same as the original, and turf numbers display in a medium green, while the mud numbers show up as brown.

I am sending the files to Doug for his review. I have not changed any of the calculations, so if previous versions work fine there is no need to use this one unless you like the ability to click anywhere in a column to sort.

BTW, this is my version 8.5.9 which will be displayed in the main FAST window.

headhawg
09-01-2009, 03:24 PM
If anyone wants to use this new version before Doug (maybe) repackages it, send me a PM with your email. I will send a zip file with the two program files in it: handifast859.zzz and handifast859.tkn.

You will need to do a couple of things to make it work. First you will need to extract these into the FAST subfolder inside the FASTvX folder. (You will see the handifast.exe and handifast.tkn files in there.) Rename the original files to something like handifast.exe.orig and handifast.tkn.orig. Once that is done, you will have to rename the new files to the original names: handifast859.zzz needs to be renamed to handifast.exe, and handifast859.tkn needs to be renamed to handifast.tkn. Then run FAST vX as usual and things should work. I hope.

If the procedure to extract and rename the new files is too daunting, then wait for Doug to provide a link to the new package (should he choose to do so).

michiken
09-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Even though I am trying to install on Linux under wine:

What are the 'Ascentive files install library' and 'Clickteam' softwares that try to install with the program?

Googling the Ascentive stuff reports spyware?

douglasw32
09-02-2009, 12:35 AM
The library files register some files missing in Vista. I guarantee it is not spyware, I remove it for a living ;)

douglasw32
09-02-2009, 12:45 AM
If anyone wants to use this new version before Doug (maybe) repackages it.

It is great as soon as I get time I will do so, as for your email, your not stepping on any toes that is why it is open source. You are doing exactly what is expected "Contributing"

Just send handi the code so you both have the up to dat version for whatever he may be working on.

If you want to continue, this is what I have been thinking.

Lose the workouts.

As for the algo, keep them different, it works very well the way it is, and combined with the other fast on the summary I think it is the best info out there.

One thing I would love is for it to just be the part that you get when you click LAUNCH program, so I can add it in like RAY's programs to my GUI.

add those two things and it is perfection.

One thing you could look at, is when the horse has a zero for distance it messes up. there should be a logic step in there that if the horse has a zero for distance the class figure gets used in it's place ?

Other than that I can not think of anything to improve on.

I am going to change the summary layout again this weekend, to fix the distance figure being labeled as SP1 and put the SP1 that is vacant into the report.

and make it print portrait again...and add in the download links that are redundant in handi's gui back into mine...

I also am tinkering with the old code for my beyer graphing program so why I am at it, I included a way to pull the beyers in..adjust them to the scale bris uses and average them in, giving a powerful variant to the bris/tsn figure if someone chooses to download both.

It will need step by step instructions written, and can be used or ignored.

If used It will also print the closer look if available.

Makes for a mighty informative little sheet.

headhawg
09-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Just send handi the code so you both have the up to dat version for whatever he may be working on.Yup. Already done.

One thing I would love is for it to just be the part that you get when you click LAUNCH program, so I can add it in like RAY's programs to my GUI.Sorry, not understanding this part. Could you clarify for me?

One thing you could look at, is when the horse has a zero for distance it messes up. there should be a logic step in there that if the horse has a zero for distance the class figure gets used in it's place ?Yes, I am looking into that. Also trying to fix the 13th race crash as well. A user mentioned those problems to me. Handi probably has a little more insight into those, but I should be able to fix those things by the end of the week.

Handiman
09-02-2009, 02:00 PM
My next version will handle 15 races. Just need to get past this heart thing first.

Handi :)

dartman51
09-02-2009, 03:32 PM
My next version will handle 15 races. Just need to get past this heart thing first.

Take your time Handi, no rush. Your health is much more important than ANY program.

Get well my friend.:ThmbUp:

douglasw32
09-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Yup. Already done.

Sorry, not understanding this part. Could you clarify for me?

Yes, I am looking into that. Also trying to fix the 13th race crash as well. A user mentioned those problems to me. Handi probably has a little more insight into those, but I should be able to fix those things by the end of the week.

Can you drop the first part of the interface for me, that has the download links, so I can add them into the main User Interface n VB6 and then when it launches have it bring up just the part that is blue that allows you to select the track and races.

And lose the last race workout info in the final screen , all of this is in the summary

headhawg
09-02-2009, 11:47 PM
That shouldn't be a problem. I haven't had a chance to work on stuff today because of work, but I should be able to get it done tomorrow.

headhawg
09-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Doug,

Another quick question. By removing the Handifast opening screen there is also a loss of the Instructions button. It's not a big deal; I can get you to the Track/Load races screen right away as you mentioned. Just wondering if you just wanted to get rid of the download files buttons, or the whole screen including the instructions. I don't know how much you are going to integrate into the FAST main interface screen.

HH

headhawg
09-03-2009, 04:17 PM
I have created another small upgrade. This version fixes the 13th race crash bug, substitutes the class number for the DS number when 0 in the FAST calc, and makes the FAST number the color of Doug's avatar's wizard outfit for easier viewing. :)

Same procedure as before to use the files. For those who PM'd me for my last version, the new files are already sent.

Please report any other bugs while I am on a roll. :D

headhawg
09-03-2009, 06:13 PM
By request Version 8.5.9b. adding the capability of doing 14 races for tracks like TDN/RD. Not thoroughly tested but seems ok.

douglasw32
09-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Doug,

Another quick question. By removing the Handifast opening screen there is also a loss of the Instructions button. It's not a big deal; I can get you to the Track/Load races screen right away as you mentioned. Just wondering if you just wanted to get rid of the download files buttons, or the whole screen including the instructions. I don't know how much you are going to integrate into the FAST main interface screen.

HH

Yes this is great, Contributing to the source code =)

Lose the instruction button also I will put Handis Instructions into the User interface with instructions on using the summary sheet and installing the whole thing.

headhawg
09-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Doug,

Sent you a new version 8.6i which incorporates the changes that you requested. It's essentially v8.5.9 minus the initial screen. I tested it fairly thoroughly, but there still may be a bug or two lingering.

HH

hracingplyr
09-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Is there a way to print out Handi's page with his top four selections? I don't see anywhere i can print from.

Bob

headhawg
09-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Unfortunately there is no printing option at this time. I think the next big step in the program will be to have the option to save to a .csv file. That file could then be loaded into a spreadsheet program like Excel. From there you could print the information that you wanted. The bonus with that method is that people could use Excel or Access to track the performance of the numbers and/or the program's "picks".

This is only my opinion, however, and I am not speaking for Doug or Handi here. Handi has plans to improve Handifast, but the main concern for him right now is his health. When he's feeling better, I'm sure that he'll contact me or Doug, or post something here regarding his program upgrades. If he is unable to do something while he recuperates, then I will try to add the features that are wanted by the users.

headhawg
09-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Version 8.6 will now display the correct surface on the summary screen. Also fixes a minor annoyance if the user closed the Main screen while the Track Selection screen was open.

There is a bug that appeared with today's SAR card when loading Race 12. I am working on that one, but it is quite elusive. I think that may be the only time that bug has reared its ugly head. If other tracks/races crash the program please let us know.

AAcoolguy
09-06-2009, 04:57 AM
Is version 8.6 available? I must have missed something.

headhawg
09-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Yes, it's available for those who want it. Doug is going to incorporate a similar version (8.6i) into the VB FAST version in his next update. I mentioned in post #28 that if users wanted my versions before Doug does so to send me a PM with their email address and I would send it directly. Follow the instructions in that post to get it to work. (The new file names will be different, obviously.)

BTW, Handifast now up to version 8.6.1 as I have Orkin'd that bug found in yesterday's SAR R12.

I still haven't heard from Handi, so let's keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

headhawg
09-06-2009, 12:38 PM
To those who have PM'd me I have sent out the new version. And you're all very welcome. I can't pick a good horse for ya, but I'll keep trying to help make Doug and Handi's program work a little better. :)

Handiman
09-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi Guys,

Well I crossed another finish line. After the test Thursday morning they admitted me to the hospital. My heart is in terrible shape. They said I'm lucky I hadn't dropped dead yet. Heart operates at less than 60% of what it should.

The Dr.'s put a pacemaker like device in my chest with two leads going into the walls of my bottom chambers. They will make the two chambers beat together now, which they weren't before. And there are two leads that go into the heart somewhere else....their function is solely to wait for me to have a heart attack and then shock me back to life. Or keeping me living if the heart attack is small enough.

Nice to know I don't have to count on being around someone with paddles when my heart fails. I'm carrying around my own little guy with the paddles in my chest. Science is so amazing. I'm really sore right now, but should be back coding by tomorrow. :jump:

I'll be back on the job soon.

pat
09-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Handi God Bless You
I hope and pray I can be as brave as you if I had that procedure.
I know you will beat this with the determination you have

Pat

STABLEMATE
09-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Glad to hear that you got the procedure done in time, Handi. I hope it keeps doing the job it's supposed to do. But don't rush back into the coding. It'll wait - and we can wait. Get all the rest you need, while still keeping as physically active as it is prudent to do.
Hang in there1
Mike

AAcoolguy
09-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Glad to hear you're doing better, science really is wonderful. I say all the time that we are living in the future. So many things that were science fiction to us are now part of real life. Who ever thought strangers from all over the world could get together to work on a project and never actually be in the same room? You have many pulling for you, get well soon.
Richard.

AAcoolguy
09-07-2009, 05:57 AM
Yes, it's available for those who want it. Doug is going to incorporate a similar version (8.6i) into the VB FAST version in his next update. I mentioned in post #28 that if users wanted my versions before Doug does so to send me a PM with their email address and I would send it directly. Follow the instructions in that post to get it to work. (The new file names will be different, obviously.)

BTW, Handifast now up to version 8.6.1 as I have Orkin'd that bug found in yesterday's SAR R12.

I still haven't heard from Handi, so let's keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

Every time I ask a question around here it could have been found if I read the entire thread. Thanks for the heads up Headhawg. I sent you a PM requesting the file.

REBel
09-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Handi,

Don't go overboard with the coding. Your health is more important!!!

Hoping and praying your health improves big-time.

Wickel
09-07-2009, 03:16 PM
OK. Still having problems downloading files. For your info, I'm doing this on Firefox. This is what I'm doing: Click choose a file button, click open handicapper's daily button, left click the tsn link. I didn't know where the file went and finally found it on my desktop as a zip file, I believe. What do I do now?

csmith
09-07-2009, 04:53 PM
OK. Still having problems downloading files. For your info, I'm doing this on Firefox. This is what I'm doing: Click choose a file button, click open handicapper's daily button, left click the tsn link. I didn't know where the file went and finally found it on my desktop as a zip file, I believe. What do I do now?

Unzip the file to C:\horse\data

Wickel
09-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Unzip the file to C:\horse\data

Thanks, it worked. But when I download, why doesn't it go into "data" to begin with?

headhawg
09-07-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't use FAST to download my files, but I am guessing that you get to chose the location of your downloaded files just like it would if you downloaded from TSN/Bris directly. It probably defaults to your desktop which is why you found it there. Just navigate to C:\horse\data when you are asked where to save. Keep in mind that you still have to unzip the file.

Handiman
09-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Ok while still a bit tired I can't just sit back and do nothing. So I have dipped into the wish list box and pulled out something to work on. There have been a couple of requests to eliminate the blue race selection box and just work off of main screen.

So I am working on that. Now my question to you is....main screen comes up after clicking launch program. On that main screen there is Track label with box to display the track you are playing once you select it. Then underneath there is a clickable button to go to next race with text box starting with a zero. Click the button and the scratch sheet shows up to do scratches. once those are done then the summary comes up on main screen. you want to go to next race then just click the button and it takes you to next race without leaving main screen. Now the question.

Is there a need to go backward and click down through the races you have already done?

Thanks for input.

Handi:)

headhawg
09-08-2009, 09:12 AM
In addition to Handi's question, does anybody use the last two columns of info at all -- WK and RK? I have been thinking about substituting a couple of other numbers for those so as not make the summary screen too wide. The numbers I was thinking about using were modified versions of Dick Mitchell's Class Consistency rating and Power rating found in his book Winning Thoroughbred Strategies. I've actually toyed around with the CC rating and modified the FAST score with it. It actually improves it a little (looking at a small test sample), but probably not enough to justify changing the FAST fig from what it is now.

REBel
09-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Handi,

I think going to the previous race is beneficial. If a horses scratches late, you could quickly go back to the scratch screen and remove the late scratch immediately.

Headhawg,

Personally, I don't use the last two columns. I still look at the bris past performances to determine if a workout is meaningful--dirt, mud, sloppy, dogs, et cetera.

Handiman
09-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I use the rank and works especially to see how horses off long layoffs have done with their last to see if they are serious contenders.

AAcoolguy
09-08-2009, 09:07 PM
In addition to Handi's question, does anybody use the last two columns of info at all -- WK and RK? I have been thinking about substituting a couple of other numbers for those so as not make the summary screen too wide. The numbers I was thinking about using were modified versions of Dick Mitchell's Class Consistency rating and Power rating found in his book Winning Thoroughbred Strategies. I've actually toyed around with the CC rating and modified the FAST score with it. It actually improves it a little (looking at a small test sample), but probably not enough to justify changing the FAST fig from what it is now.

I don't use the last two numbers myself and having read the Mitchell book, I would like to see those.;

douglasw32
09-08-2009, 11:08 PM

That would be COOL!!! I say Dump em

douglasw32
09-08-2009, 11:09 PM
I use the rank and works especially to see how horses off long layoffs have done with their last to see if they are serious contenders.

Glad you are back at it =)

headhawg
09-10-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm going to do a bit more testing/tweaking probably tomorrow, and then I might make this available as a stand-alone experimental version that includes the Mitchell ratings and a modified FAST number. I'm not sure that these new ratings will be as helpful as I thought they would. The FAST number is pretty good already, and a surprising number of winners come from the top 4 "picks". I think that I might actually start using Handifast and stop trying to tweak it. :D

douglasw32
09-10-2009, 06:57 AM
I have been there =)

Pcon04
09-10-2009, 06:58 AM
headhawg

Has the S1 fig error been corrected.The last time i used the program it

had a differnt # there. The other 2 were correct..Maybe this ? should be for

Douglas.I'd still like to see a version that prints 4 races on a page or

doesn't have any page breaks.Oh will handifast be able to print to a file

or to the printer in a future version??

Thanks
Pcon

headhawg
09-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Pcon,

The speed numbers are correct in Handifast but I think Doug is working on the S1 problem in FAST vX. As far as printing, I think Doug and Handi are better able to answer that question.

I have suggested that the Handifast output could be saved as a .csv file so that it could be loaded into Excel. The output could then be printed from there, and also users could track the performance and further manipulate the numbers if they desired. I believe that Handi might have been working on this before his health got really bad. He will probably respond here with the progress made on that front. If he is working on other aspects of Handifast I could make an attempt to help out with the .csv file routine.

HH

Pcon04
09-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the explanation

pcon

Handiman
09-10-2009, 06:37 PM
I am slowly getting my coding legs under me as the anethstesia effects wear off. I am currently working on Handifast The Magic Version.....the magic part will probably be that it works at all...:lol:

Anyway I am losing the blue selection box and everything is done from the one major screen. I have a tendency to code with a hammer and chisel as where Headhawg codes with a scalpel. So when this next incarnation is done, he may need to clean up the patient.

I have it about half done. There will be a couple of hidden things for you to discover once you get a chance to use it. Nothing really big but maybe a neat aspect. That's again if I can make it work.

douglasw32
09-11-2009, 12:28 AM
I am slowly getting my coding legs under me as the anethstesia effects wear off. I am currently working on Handifast The Magic Version.....the magic part will probably be that it works at all...:lol:

Anyway I am losing the blue selection box and everything is done from the one major screen. I have a tendency to code with a hammer and chisel as where Headhawg codes with a scalpel. So when this next incarnation is done, he may need to clean up the patient.

I have it about half done. There will be a couple of hidden things for you to discover once you get a chance to use it. Nothing really big but maybe a neat aspect. That's again if I can make it work.

I for one can not wait...I fixed the s1 problem and the fast figure in the summary is outstanding...all I am using now.

I will package it and send it along and I will explain to handi and hawg how I made the fast and see what they think about using it, once I can upload the newest package so others can comment about the tweak to the figure.

but it may be a week or so, the day job is rough at the moment.

headhawg
09-11-2009, 08:41 AM
I have a tendency to code with a hammer and chisel as where Headhawg codes with a scalpel. So when this next incarnation is done, he may need to clean up the patient.You flatter me, Handi. I would just say that I use a smaller hammer. Maybe. :D I have learned a lot of things from going through your code, and the debugging process has done a lot to improve my somewhat meager skills. I am looking forward to the next incarnation. It sounds like you have a lot of cool and useful things in mind to add to the program.

Glad to hear that your feeling better. That's the most important.

headhawg
09-11-2009, 08:49 AM
I for one can not wait...I fixed the s1 problem and the fast figure in the summary is outstanding...all I am using now.

I will package it and send it along and I will explain to handi and hawg how I made the fast and see what they think about using it, once I can upload the newest package so others can comment about the tweak to the figure.Sounds great, Doug! Can't wait to see it. Will you also be telling us something about only three EZ payments of $29.95? :D

headhawg
09-11-2009, 09:45 AM
I have tested the new ratings that I have added to Handifast and they seem to work fine. This (new) version includes replacing the WK and RK columns with C-C, P-S, and PWR, and adds an additional weighted rating to the FAST number.

What does this all mean? The C-C, P-S, and PWR are modified versions of the class-consistency, pace-speed, and power ratings found in Mitchell's Winning Thoroughbred Strategies book. (I have always been partial to that book as it was the first one that I read that put handicapping into perspective for me.) The C-C rating is based on EPS, Win%, and ITM%; P-S is a combined early pace and final speed rating. They are both based on 60 (low) to 100 (high) scale, and only compare the horses running in that particular race. In other words, a 90 rating in one race is NOT comparable to a 90 (or a 75 or 93) in another. The PWR rating is simply a weighted combination of the C-C and P-S ratings based on race distance.

The adding rating to the FAST number seems to move up horses' rankings for horses other than those in the win slot. So, you might find more likely underneath contenders for exacta, trifecta, and superfecta plays. It does not seem to improve the FAST fig for win contenders. (Again, testing was done on a small sample of races.)

I will make this version (now called FAST HHX v1) available to those who want it. I changed the name so as not to interfere with the current Handifast version (8.6.1). To get this to work, extract (unzip) the files to a separate folder from FAST. Rename the HandifastHHXv1.zzz file to HandifastHHXv1.exe. Then just double-click the exe file and it should run fine. If you prefer this version over 8.6.1, then yes it can be incorporated into FAST by using the same steps that were used to get 8.6.1 to work.

For those of you that requested 8.6.1 previously, just send me an email if you would like this version. I will be busy for the majority of the late morning/early afternoon, but I will send it out as soon as I can.

Handiman
09-11-2009, 03:48 PM
I am so confused...but then the exact day and date is confusing to me now so that's not really any news...:lol:

This whole process, with the addition of headhawg and Doug's continued tinkering is really exciting to me. yea ok so I have a pretty low threshold for excitement, but you must remember, I'm just glad to still be alive. Anyway, with all the stuff going on, we to need to regroup a bit and decide where to settle for a day or two.

I have no problem dumping the rk and wk columns. Nor do I have any problem with changing fast caculations, or adding headhawg numbers. Just need to know what to put in my next version?

So please give me some direction before I go any further.

pat
09-11-2009, 05:14 PM
I have tested the new ratings that I have added to Handifast and they seem to work fine. This (new) version includes replacing the WK and RK columns with C-C, P-S, and PWR, and adds an additional weighted rating to the FAST number.

What does this all mean? The C-C, P-S, and PWR are modified versions of the class-consistency, pace-speed, and power ratings found in Mitchell's Winning Thoroughbred Strategies book. (I have always been partial to that book as it was the first one that I read that put handicapping into perspective for me.) The C-C rating is based on EPS, Win%, and ITM%; P-S is a combined early pace and final speed rating. They are both based on 60 (low) to 100 (high) scale, and only compare the horses running in that particular race. In other words, a 90 rating in one race is NOT comparable to a 90 (or a 75 or 93) in another. The PWR rating is simply a weighted combination of the C-C and P-S ratings based on race distance.

The adding rating to the FAST number seems to move up horses' rankings for horses other than those in the win slot. So, you might find more likely underneath contenders for exacta, trifecta, and superfecta plays. It does not seem to improve the FAST fig for win contenders. (Again, testing was done on a small sample of races.)

I will make this version (now called FAST HHX v1) available to those who want it. I changed the name so as not to interfere with the current Handifast version (8.6.1). To get this to work, extract (unzip) the files to a separate folder from FAST. Rename the HandifastHHXv1.zzz file to HandifastHHXv1.exe. Then just double-click the exe file and it should run fine. If you prefer this version over 8.6.1, then yes it can be incorporated into FAST by using the same steps that were used to get 8.6.1 to work.

For those of you that requested 8.6.1 previously, just send me an email if you would like this version. I will be busy for the majority of the late morning/early afternoon, but I will send it out as soon as I can.

Are we still talking about handifast X
Imgetting a bit mixed up

headhawg
09-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I was a bit concerned that this might happen. Ok, there is Doug's version of FAST. He started this project, but there were a couple of things that he wanted in his program that he has yet to implement. So, Handiman wrote his version of FAST that has been dubbed Handifast which is a separate but integrated program that allows for easy scratches and the sorting of figs, something that Doug has not yet gotten to in FAST. There were some bugs in Handifast, and as I knew the programming language that it was coded in, I volunteered to help orkin those. I thought that I would help out while Handi was taking care of his health situation.

In the very first post of this thread, there is a link to download FAST version X which also includes Handifast (which I believe is v8.5.5). The things that I fixed from that version were mostly the crash bugs, but I also added some things that I thought would be helpful. You can also now use Handifast for up to 14 races for tracks like TDN/RD. With all of those fixes, I changed the version of Handifast to v8.6.1 to indicate the progress. Doug has been very busy with his real job and has not been able to post a version of FAST that incorporates the fixed version of Handifast. So, I posted that I would send the upgraded version to those who wanted it, and provided steps to be able to use it with Doug's FAST program in order to replace the older, buggy version.

The last "new" version is Handifast HHX v1 which just stands for Head Hawg eXperimental to distinguish it from the Handifast version that most people are familiar with. As I posted, it is v8.6.1 that also includes a power rating and a modified version of the FAST fig, and loses the WK and RK ratings mainly so that it fits nicely on my screen. This is something that I did for myself, but I thought that I would make it available for those who wanted it with the caveat that it should be used as a stand alone program.

So now that I have confused people (as I was afraid that I might do), I won't do any more of my own versions. Handi is working on his ideas and should progress in that manner as they sound great. It's going to be impossible to please everyone anyway, and this is all a volunteer project made possible by Doug and Handiman. So just get out there and use it, whatever version you choose. :D

AAcoolguy
09-11-2009, 10:26 PM
I think I have all of the versions available and they are all working just fine ,operationally that is, ROI wise is another story. I was doing well at the start of DMR but steadily went down after a couple weeks. I think because, again, I can't stop switching methods. If I had the time I would run everything I have and see which version works best for me, but like everyone else, real jobs and real life get in the way. I guess that is the best advertisement for record keeping. :bang:

douglasw32
09-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Sounds great, Doug! Can't wait to see it. Will you also be telling us something about only three EZ payments of $29.95? :D

I like the joke, but never, that is not my style =)

douglasw32
09-12-2009, 12:45 AM
I am almost done "tinkering" I have said that before.

But now with these three new numbers in handifast hhx I just can not resist seeing what happens if I throw that in.

I guess for regrouping, I would just love to see handifast include my new version of the fast number but I am afraid it may not work as well as what is there?

Like the post above by acool it would be great to figure out what one works best but so hard to do.

I know I have been using just the improved fast summary (That I swear I will find time to post tomorrow)

And "By hand" systematically choosing 2 horses to conditionally bet at odds of even or better 30 sec to post and I have NEVER done better.

My dream I guess would be to have handi, take what hh has done throw into it what I have done with the fast figure, lose my old way of weighing them with 10/15/20 etc and instead do what I am doing now by hand to list the top 4, if I could have it make sense when explained... and be able to print all of them, via the csv export instead of just "on screen" since I travel for my day job and I am used to emailing the summary sheet to myself.

Then we would only have ONE version again, all in liberty basic, open source code with most of the ideas posted on the forum that started it all incorporated into it.

Then all of the tinkering could be left up to the individual through the CSV export.

BTW- I tried the program as is replacing the bris / tsn data with beyers and adjusting to put on the scale of bris numbers and it just tanks it ...

I like the allure of beyers method but find it fails to bris's

anyway back to the summary sheet...I would not need it if one version kicked out the top 4 the way I have it now since I would just bet the top 2 listed conditionally for the key race types I use (Mainly no MDN, 2yo's, or claimers)

thoughts on how to proceed.

For now I will post my fix, since it can still be used in conjunction with hh update that handi has in his hands now.

But handi- if you choose to accept the mission..you would need to leaf through my sloppy VB code and figure out what the heck I changed since I could not begin to tell you. I just know it is working great.

Roger
09-12-2009, 03:49 AM
Headhawg...I went ahead and created a separate folder in c:/ and named it HandifastHHX. I then extracted the files to that new folder and renamed the HANDIFASTV1ZZZ file to HANDIFASTHHXv1.EXE. when clicking on the EXE file I get a box saying .....File not found: HandifastHHXv1.exeTKN...What have I done wrong?
Gotta be something stupid on my part!

Thank's
Roger, :bang:

headhawg
09-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Roger,

The important thing is to have the .tkn and .exe files named to the same program name. It sounds to me as if there might be a typo when it was renamed.

The files that I send out were named HandifastHHXv1.zzz and HandifastHHXv1.tkn. The difference in the names are, of course, the file extensions. Just double-check to see if upon renaming the .zzz file is named to match the first part of the .tkn file -- HandifastHHXv1.exe. All that really needs to be done is that .zzz needs to be changed to .exe. The reason that I send it with the .zzz is that some email providers will block the forwarding of .exe files (even when zipped) as it gets treated as a potential virus.

Also, don't forget the period between the program name and the exe. I think that may be the cause of the error message.

HH

csmith
09-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Roger,

The important thing is to have the .tkn and .exe files named to the same program name. It sounds to me as if there might be a typo when it was renamed.

The files that I send out were named HandifastHHXv1.zzz and HandifastHHXv1.tkn. The difference in the names are, of course, the file extensions. Just double-check to see if upon renaming the .zzz file is named to match the first part of the .tkn file -- HandifastHHXv1.exe. All that really needs to be done is that .zzz needs to be changed to .exe. The reason that I send it with the .zzz is that some email providers will block the forwarding of .exe files (even when zipped) as it gets treated as a potential virus.

Also, don't forget the period between the program name and the exe. I think that may be the cause of the error message.

HH

Same thing here HH. I can't get it to work and I have renamed the files as exactly as you said. I will keep working on it on my end.

Thanks

headhawg
09-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Guys,

If you did everything right and Handifast HHX still doesn't work it's because I forgot to include a file that needs to be in the folder. I am sending that file out to you. Just put in the the folder where you unzipped the other files to. It should only affect the program if you use the download feature. Sorry.

Let me know if there are still problems as it works fine on my end.

D'oh!

HH

douglasw32
09-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Works fine for me, the one you sent...maybe send that to them

headhawg
09-12-2009, 10:44 AM
csmith has a weird permission issue and it's not even Vista! hehe There is no extra security involved with the zip file that I sent out, but for some reason Windows is preventing him from running it. (Not the unzip program, but Handifast.) Very strange as XP allows the reading of files by default for all users, and also lets them create new files, like the horse.dat and race.dat files from Handifast.

If this is happening to others, please let me know.

Roger
09-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Headhawg ..The new files you sent did the trick...Works Great. Doug, Handi and Headhawg thank's for a great Program, What a collaboration you guys have done.

Roger, :ThmbUp:

Handiman
09-12-2009, 02:14 PM
It gets even better...at least I think so. I've never been one to be able to keep a secret so here is what I'm working on.....Handifast with headhawg's new mitchel numbers and program will work off just the main screen. losing the little blue box to load track and races.

That will be done in upper right corner of main screen, with the ability to play 5 tracks simultaneously moving from one to the other with just one button click.

There will be a summary print option to printer. Once this is all done, I will then put together the ability to print to csv file.

Doug,

If you will send me the sourcefile and at least a heads up as to how you are getting your new fast number I will try and put it in the version that will have csv ability.

douglasw32
09-12-2009, 02:44 PM
You got it

douglasw32
09-12-2009, 02:46 PM
csmith has a weird permission issue and it's not even Vista! hehe There is no extra security involved with the zip file that I sent out, but for some reason Windows is preventing him from running it. (Not the unzip program, but Handifast.) Very strange as XP allows the reading of files by default for all users, and also lets them create new files, like the horse.dat and race.dat files from Handifast.

If this is happening to others, please let me know.

Might be this..

http://www.updatexp.com/dep-exceptions.html

lsosa54
09-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Handi/Doug: I play almost exclusively on poly (Socal circuit) and the HandiFast produced FAST # works much better for me than the FAST # that is produced by Doug's summary, which may well work better on the tracks that Doug plays.

If possible, without causing confusion, if we are migrating to one program, can we keep a separate column for the HandiFAST # and the DougFAST #?

Thanks for considering this and for all the hard work.

headhawg
09-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Might be this..

http://www.updatexp.com/dep-exceptions.htmlTurns out it was some kind of security setting that blocked it from being run. Cliff figured it out so he's all good now.

Also, send me your source when you get a chance. I want to look at it just for snicks. Thx.

headhawg
09-12-2009, 07:16 PM
It gets even better...at least I think so. I've never been one to be able to keep a secret so here is what I'm working on.....Handifast with headhawg's new mitchel numbers and program will work off just the main screen. losing the little blue box to load track and races.

That will be done in upper right corner of main screen, with the ability to play 5 tracks simultaneously moving from one to the other with just one button click.

There will be a summary print option to printer. Once this is all done, I will then put together the ability to print to csv file.All this sounds real nice, Handi. I am looking forward to seeing it.

douglasw32
09-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Handi/Doug: I play almost exclusively on poly (Socal circuit) and the HandiFast produced FAST # works much better for me than the FAST # that is produced by Doug's summary, which may well work better on the tracks that Doug plays.

If possible, without causing confusion, if we are migrating to one program, can we keep a separate column for the HandiFAST # and the DougFAST #?

Thanks for considering this and for all the hard work.

I agree, I use it for NYRA exclusively and tank every time I hit SoCal

A column for each would be the way to go, just rename each.

douglasw32
09-13-2009, 12:45 AM

Okay, I know, I know...But I just can not help myself sometimes.

Improvements...Ranks FTS on factors other than Speed and Pace (obviously)
But only compare FTS to other FTS.

Has an improved MUD figure. That calculates for Grass moved to dirt.

Automatic adjustment for Dirt/Turf/All Weather.

Changes the way the software is opened, One button opens, handi's add on, the summary and the default program your chosen datafile uses.

Of course once this happens you need to choose the files for those two programs, after the summary opens in your browser, but it saves me some mouse clicks. Since I use all 3.

Leaves the program open so more info can be gathered using the HandicapperDaily web page... and Ray's Exacta and Dutching programs.

The fast figure itself is improved.

Uses your own browser of choice now instead of Chrome.

and the best part, RUNS UNDER LINUX using WINE again!

Is a much smaller download

It can be run from anywhere again and pull data from anywhere (I know some like to handicap on other peoples computers without the need to install)

Note: to use handi's you still need to throw the data files into C:\Horse\Data\

And includes a folder with all of the source code.

Printing has to be set to landscape.

Enjoy.

Many have asked for the original version and it is still here... but I really would not trust that FAST figure compared to what handi's and the new one does.

http://localpcpros.com/FASTv8.exe

:)

The URL has changed for the update I have been using, a better FAST number, threw in a consistency figure not what HH has in handifast but I thought I would play with the idea a bit. Fixed the SP1

get it here.

http://localpcpros.com/HandiFAST_Version_X_Fixed.exe

douglasw32
09-13-2009, 01:24 AM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=733756&postcount=33

This is the coolest thing I have ever used.

if you put this line

Explorer.exe C:\Infotran

into the (Config 'myprogram.txt') file in handifast Ver X it opens the folder where the setup goes on, a few steps and you have a fully editable PP.

Thanks RAY (Great work) I can not begin to imagine what went into building that control file and those macros. I doubt I will ever use the BRIS PP generator again.
:jump:

Pcon04
09-13-2009, 06:05 AM
douglas

could u explain a bit more how u made a printable or editable pp

like the bris generator.you lost me!!

thanks
pcon

douglasw32
09-13-2009, 10:20 AM
douglas

could u explain a bit more how u made a printable or editable pp

like the bris generator.you lost me!!

thanks
pcon

Go to this thread...
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59541

Read through.. at the end RAYBO has links in his signature to his website that explains the process..

Maybe he will start a thread on just this... but for now it is towards the end of this one.

Amazing work, takes some setup but his instructions on his web site are spot on.

douglasw32
09-13-2009, 12:16 PM
The URL has changed for the update I have been using, a better FAST number, threw in a consistency figure not what HH has in handifast but I thought I would play with the idea a bit. Fixed the SP1

get it here.

http://localpcpros.com/HandiFAST_Version_X_Fixed.exe

ARGHHH it had a BUG ! crashed on Belmont.

New LINK (Sorry) but it is fixed.

http://localpcpros.com/HandiFAST_Version_X_fixed2.exe

SPEEDHORSE
09-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Is there a thread that explains the mechanics of this program?

headhawg
09-18-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "mechanics". How the code works or how to use the program? Or, maybe something else altogether??

SPEEDHORSE
09-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Bro. Headhawg, what I mean is some sort of tutorial on how the program works, or a brief explanation of the handicapping factors used to create the program.

headhawg
09-18-2009, 12:53 PM
It's hard to get into all of the details, but mainly FAST and Handifast are programs that use a combined pace/speed number modified by form points. They both center around the FAST fig which weights the above and adds other elements to it like Wm Scott's PCR. Handifast, which I'm more familiar with, also produces its Top 4 picks with fair odds that uses weighted factors including the FAST fig, jockey/trainer %, etc. Handifast HHX (the version included in Doug's FAST version X download) also adds modified versions of the Dick Mitchell ratings found in one of his books. See post #74.

I imagine that people use the program differently, and I've only used it for bug fix testing purposes not for actual play. Run the program on some previous files and you'll see what works and what doesn't. The FAST fig is pretty damn good (thanks Doug), and so are the Top 4 picks. But for certain tracks/races the PWR number, and to a lesser extent the C-C and P-S numbers are strong as well. And if I told you how I use it, well, that would be giving a handicapper's secret away. :D

Just as a reminder to everyone -- scratches will make an impact on the FAST fig so don't forget to do them when you are evaluating older races or using Handifast for the current card(s).

SPEEDHORSE
09-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks, Bro. Headhawg for the brief explanation of the program. I am also a Speed and Pace guy.

douglasw32
09-19-2009, 08:28 AM
What makes the FAST FIGURE ?
in version X, not sure what goes on in handifast
I think the difference is it throws in the kitchen sink afterwards
continuing to average, jockey%, Trainer%, PCR.

I found it to be noise and the below formula is what I have been using in the summary sheet.

I am working on removing some of the "noise" below also to make it easier to do "looking" at a past performance.

Problem is they do not all have pace figures and that is key.

Step 1:

(Calculate Speed Average)

Take the best of the last 3 speeds
add the best speed at distance

add the Distance pedigree if available
(if never ran distance use just distance pedigree)

add last race speed

add lifetime Best,
add Best speed over surface

if last race same dist and surf add it in
if 2nd to last exact add it in
if 3rd race exact add it in

Avg last 6/5/4/3/2 However many are available but not past 6 E1
do the same for LP
choose whatever is better as the Average Pace and add it in.

Step:2

(Calculate bonus points for form)

Start with the Weight carried today divided by 10

Early Speed Points>5 add 1
Early Speed Points=8 add 5

work since last add 1
either of last 2 works since race = 5f add 5
add distance of work.

fin pos last 3 is itm +5
if none -1

Won last -1
came 2nd add 2
no work and >45 days off -2

Ran last 7 days add 2
within 15 to 30 add 3

same surf as last add 1
same dist add 1

won more than a race in lifetime add 1
more than 3 starts never won -1

lower odds last 3 each time add 1
won by 3 add 1

new trainer add 2
1st time lasix add 2
blinker change add 2

sprint today and 0 ES points -1

3 improving speeeds last 3 add 1
3 declining -1

Subtract total bonus points from 60
Subtract the result from 100

Average this into the Speed Average.

Sinner369
09-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Doug:

Today, I was installing your program for the first time but my virus program says................"High Risk Worm Infection on the Libraryfiles.exe"

Is there a concern???????? on version X?????

Sinner

headhawg
09-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Someone else earlier had showed some concerns about that. This is Doug's previous response:

"The library files register some files missing in Vista. I guarantee it is not spyware, I remove it for a living."

I've installed it with no problem and have run malware scans since with no detection. So it's likely a false alarm due to what is being installed.

douglasw32
09-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Many a virus software throws up "false positives" free ones more often.

It is most likely detecting the registering of the files as a "Virus like" activity.

for fun try COMODO antivirus sometime, It detects like every single thing on your computer including windows files as a virus, lol

I am using (at the moment) Sunbelt's Vipre and this file has not been detected as harmfull.

Vipre is highly touted on sites that track zero day, false positive, benchmarks.

douglasw32
09-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Also, you can uncheck the library files, they are only needed if the program does not run on your OS

headhawg
09-21-2009, 05:40 PM
By popular demand :) I have completed a version that has the ability to save the summary screen output for all of the races to a .csv file. You can now import into Excel to print, sort, manipulate, what have you. If you are not an Excel or database person this is probably no big deal but a few people have requested this feature. It is being tested now, so maybe by tomorrow or Wednesday we can have a version for everyone who wants it. When it is a viable version I will make another post about how to obtain it, either through a link here or through email. Keep your fingers crossed... ;)

headhawg
09-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Things are progressing fairly well with HHX version 1.5 with csv output. Getting good feedback from the testers and I hope to make this available sometime tomorrow for those who will find it useful.

douglasw32
09-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Works Great

headhawg
09-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Ok, let's just go with it. :)

It's not perfect, and there still some things that I would like to do better, but the testers like it well enough so consider the HHX version with csv output available. This version will likely be included in Doug's next release, but if you would like it now then contact me. Users that I have sent previous versions to can send me an email if they would like this version. New users can PM me with their email address.

BIG NOTE: there is no difference between this version and HHX v1 except for the csv output capability. If you're not a spreadsheet/database person then you do not need this version. That said, you will be able to use this version print through Excel, so I guess that is a reason to get this as well.

There is a ReadMe file that I will include with instructions and some formatting recommendations. I am not an Excel expert, but many people here are. Post your questions and I am confident that someone will provide an answer. (A member here has already contacted me about helping in this regard. I will keep people posted on that front.)

As usual, post any bugs/problems. Any complaints, contact the management. :D

REBel
09-23-2009, 07:52 PM
HH,

Please clarify one thing for me. In your latest release, are the Top 4 generated by Handifast or FAST?

Thanks.

lsosa54
09-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Handifast

Handiman
09-23-2009, 09:29 PM
In middle of coding a six track version of handifast right now. Having some structure problems so it's going to take a while. Also if things go right, Doug's summary will also be available in next version or one after that...depending on how things go.

Head's csv code will be included too! Along with ability to print out to paper.

Just thought an update was in order.

To clarify.....handifast summary will stay the same as it is now...it's just that Doug's will be an addition so both will be available.

lsosa54
09-23-2009, 10:03 PM
This is an example of HH's csv download with minimal formatting applied then printed to pdf. The Top 4 summary is printed separately due to space limitations. The Handifast summary is sorted by the FAST column.

BTW, if you think Handifast may not work on the poly or the turf, this summary is from closing day at DMR. One of the 2 top FAST ties in the 5th race, El Gato Malo, won and paid $35.80. The #2 FAST in the 6th race, Sky Marni, won and paid a measly $67.00. The top FAST in the last race, Pat's Legacy, paid $25.20.

This does not count exotic bets that could have been structured without too much craziness.

raybo
09-23-2009, 11:14 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=733756&postcount=33

This is the coolest thing I have ever used.

if you put this line

Explorer.exe C:\Infotran

into the (Config 'myprogram.txt') file in handifast Ver X it opens the folder where the setup goes on, a few steps and you have a fully editable PP.

Thanks RAY (Great work) I can not begin to imagine what went into building that control file and those macros. I doubt I will ever use the BRIS PP generator again.
:jump:

Thanks!

I'm glad someone really appreciates Infotran and what can be accomplished via it's control file. I've been using it for years, having created several control files over that time. This is the first control file I've written that extracts all 1435 Bris or TSN data fields and imports that data into Excel.

I plan to add some more stuff but have been sick (pneumonia). Will continue soon.

Thanks again.

What you have accomplished with your program is quite impressive!! I have put lots of work into my Excel/Infotran stuff but you have done an amazing amount of work on your project, as well.

Congrats!

PS: There is a thread about my project in the software section. Can't remember the title of the thread but it mentions 1435 fields.

hracingplyr
09-24-2009, 11:16 AM
away th last 3 weeks in Italy. How is the program performing at Belmont so far?

headhawg
09-24-2009, 12:56 PM
I know that Doug likes his FAST number a lot and he plays the NYRA tracks so I imagine it's doing pretty well. I can't say for sure about the Handifast numbers as I am just writing some of the code for it, not using it. But after lsosa's recent post about DMR I have to quit coding and start playing. ;)

hracingplyr
09-24-2009, 02:35 PM
do i get the Fast hhx v1?

headhawg
09-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Here is the link for Doug's latest FAST which includes Handifast HHX v1.

http://localpcpros.com/HandiFAST_Version_X_fixed2.exe

If you need the version with csv output -- HHX v1.5 -- send me a PM with your email. I am currently working on some fixes for that version that are not completed yet, but HHX v1 will do you fine in the interim.

And as I mentioned one of my previous posts, there is no difference between the two calculations-wise. v1.5 includes the ability to import the summary sheet numbers into Excel which some users find helpful. For simplicity, I also recommend that HHX v1.5 be installed/used separately from other versions until Doug integrates it into his next version of FAST.

Handi is also working on an new version of Handifast that will include the HHX changes. I know that he's not been feeling great, and the changes that he wants to make are difficult to program. So it might be a while yet.

hracingplyr
09-24-2009, 03:42 PM
nice job. Is there a way to print the Handi file with the new powr numbers and all?

Bob

headhawg
09-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks. It's been fun working with the code that Handi and Doug have put together.

In Doug's FAST version, the output is html and opens in your default browser so you can print from there. Or, I think that some people copy the info from the FAST screen and paste it to another program like Excel and do things like printing from that program.

In Handifast, however, you cannot print directly; Handi will include that capability in his new version. To print in Handifast now the easiest way is to use HHX v1.5, output the races to a csv file, and print from Excel or some other program that inputs csv files. It takes a little bit of work, but as you can see from lsosa's previous post, the output looks pretty good.

headhawg
09-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Made a couple of changes/bug fixes to HHX v1.5. The most noticeable differences are that I added the race classification info (which I forgot. D'oh!), and added the race information headers above the Top 4 picks. The reason I did that is that it is advisable to print the Top 4 separately from the summary sheet to make things fit better on a page. Now people who prefer to use just the Top 4 (or only print the Top 4) will have the race info as well without having to copy and paste. (Thanks to lsosa for that suggestion.)

I will send out the new .tkn file to those who have already requested HHX v1.5. I did not change the name of the file to make it easier, so just overwrite the existing .tkn file in the HHXv15 folder where the .exe is located.

cloud9
09-25-2009, 10:36 AM
doug . I sent you a P. M.

AAcoolguy
09-28-2009, 07:18 PM
...today in the 5th @ FPX Handifast had the COLD super for $775.00. (using TSN $.50) Wish I had played that one!

lsosa54
09-28-2009, 07:58 PM
...today in the 5th @ FPX Handifast had the COLD super for $775.00. (using TSN $.50) Wish I had played that one!

It wasn't cold with the BRIS file but close enough - 8-10-1-9 were the top 4 HandiFAST. Actual results were 8-1-10-9.

BTW, in Sunday's 6th, the 2nd ranked HandiFAST (using the BRIS file), Elegant Cad, a point behind the first ranked FAST and with a 5 pt. gap to the 3rd ranked FAST, paid a measly $43.20.

The 2nd & 3rd HandiFAST gets you the $101.80 exacta for a $.

A box of the top 4 gets you a $656.50 tri.

Handiman
09-28-2009, 09:06 PM
I've been sleeping and coding. I just about have the structure built for the new Handifast version. It will now allow user to play 6 tracks live. Still have a few things to do to get done and then start putting the guts into it.

So moving along...it's just this is fairly daunting to setup 6 tracks.

SOUTHERN SLEW
09-28-2009, 10:58 PM
I just installed Handifast for the first time and after the install, there was the following message "would you like to install Visual Basic 6.0 run time files. YES or NO" PLEASE ADVISE, THANKS
steve

headhawg
09-28-2009, 11:19 PM
You should read post #77 for a FAST/Handifast history, Steve, but the short of it is that Doug's FAST version X is written in Visual Basic and you will need the run time files to get it to work. Handifast does not need them, but if you are downloading the whole package then you will need those VB files to get things going with the least amount of hassle.

SOUTHERN SLEW
09-28-2009, 11:58 PM
HI Headhawg, Great hearing from you, and thanks, I just read post #77 as you suggested and I got a better understanding of the 3 different versions, I am still a bit lost but so far I followed this link http://localpcpros.com/HandiFAST_Version_X_fixed2.exe (http://localpcpros.com/HandiFAST_Version_X_fixed2.exe)
and downloaded Handifast Version X, there were no instructions so I am not clear on how to use it, I found the exe for handifast, ran the program but none of the functions work as I encountered error messages when I tried to access Bris or TSn data.
So it appears that there are 3 different versions of the program
1. Fast Version X-the original version
2.Handifast v8.5.5-the updated version
3.Handifast HHX v1-a different version

Can you provide me with the link for Handifast v8..6.1 and which of these version would you recommend that I begin with
thanks
steve

headhawg
09-29-2009, 12:19 AM
That is the latest link for downloads so you're good there. That link also includes Handifast HHX v1 which is the latest version without the .csv output. I would not worry so much about the Handifast 8.5.5 or 8.6.1 versions. I think that most people are now using either the HHX v1 (included in the download) or the HHX v1.5 version. I recommend for now that you use what's included in the download link.

I just installed the FAST fixed version and it installed fine. When you launch the FAST program you will get a main screen with instructions. Basically load a data file and it will produce an html screen in your default browser with Doug's FAST summary. If you click on Handi's it will open a different screen. Just double-click on the .exe file. I just tried it and everything works. I navigated to the Bris, TSN, and Equibase web pages in Handifast with no errors.

One thing to note: in order to use Handifast you need a folder on your C: drive named Horse, and inside of that a folder named Data. Put your unzipped data files in that Data folder in order to get Handifast to work. Also, click on the instructions button for a brief outline of how to use Handifast.

teddy
09-29-2009, 12:24 AM
What is considered a strong choice.. 3 pt advantage over the second choice. I downloaded Tues FL to play it. Someone give me some pics using fast and why so I can get a feel for its use. Is it as simple as pt total vs value? Assuming equal pt totals Should I play the longest price horse? What are you guys doing?

headhawg
09-29-2009, 12:33 AM
I've been sleeping and coding. I just about have the structure built for the new Handifast version. It will now allow user to play 6 tracks live. Still have a few things to do to get done and then start putting the guts into it.

So moving along...it's just this is fairly daunting to setup 6 tracks.

Handi :)I can't wait Handi. And I know how daunting it is. Better you than me. :D

I am working on a little update to HHX. When I am finished I will send you the code. It now allows a user to load data files from any folder not just C:\horse\data. A user asked me to put that feature in and I liked the idea too.

SOUTHERN SLEW
09-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Just wanted to make a progress report on what I have accomplished so far, I was able to open and run the program successfully, the results from a test run at Belmont Park for 9/26/09 using Don Wood, FAST HHX V 1.0 IS listed BELOW AND THEY WERE SPECTACULAR.

Race 4- Top rated Strong Commitment won $9.80
Race 6-Top rated Rock in Bage won $18
Race 7 -3rd rated Rapid Mon won $23
Race 8 - 2nd rated Solvent won $19
Race 9 -Top rated Indian Blessing won $4.80

The program seems to have the ability to select the winner of the race but it does not select the 2nd or 3rd choices but this is just the results from only one race which was basically an experiment as I was just learning how to use the program
steve

AAcoolguy
09-29-2009, 01:13 AM
Just keep playing around with all of the versions, you'll get to know what to do with it. A word of caution, don't try to chase the winners around! By that I mean find what works for you and stay with it! I have been using the program(s) since the beginning and have had really good days and really bad days. You do need to do a bit of chasing to see what works of course, but when you do find it stick with it for a while.

SOUTHERN SLEW
09-29-2009, 01:43 AM
AAcoolguy, Thanks very much I appreciate your comments and suggestions, which version of the program are you using and can you post the link for HANDIFAST V8.6.1, so basically can you suggest the best way to interpret the data or do you just select from the top 4 choices
steve

douglasw32
09-29-2009, 05:42 AM
Sorry guys work has been killing me, Implementing Electronic Medical Records in 6 Locations with a staff of 3

But the posts are very good.

My 2 cents on how "I use the program(s)"

I start with the worst and get rid of em'

I just go across the columns and sort and draw a line through anyone who does not "fit".

Beware, Zero's at distance does not count as bad...
A bad LP does not count as bad if there is a good EP and vice versa

You will get the idea

but a bad jock% is a bad jock % and a lower number in PCR or FRM or FST by like 10 is a negative, etc.

Once I have done that, out of the contenders that are left, I see who is in the top 4, and/ or the new PWR at the far left...

I bet to WIN and usually only on Claiming, Sprints, for 3YO and Up.

headhawg
09-29-2009, 08:38 AM
AAcoolguy, Thanks very much I appreciate your comments and suggestions, which version of the program are you using and can you post the link for HANDIFAST V8.6.1, so basically can you suggest the best way to interpret the data or do you just select from the top 4 choices
steveAs I already mentioned to you and I've posted in this thread, Handifast HHX v1 includes the fixes from v8.6.1 and only eliminates two things -- WK and RK which I removed mostly for space considerations. I was not using those ratings, and I replaced them with the Mitchell ratings that I (and I think many people here) find more useful. The FAST number is also modified slightly for the better in the HHX version.

I don't think that I have a copy of v8.6.1 anymore, although I could probably create it again if I needed to. But Steve, why would you want to go back to that version?

AAcoolguy has given great advice and I suggest that people -- especially new users -- follow it. FAST/Handifast produces really good numbers. But as Handi wrote in the Handifast instructions it is NOT a black box. What works at one track in one type of race will not work in another. The Top 4 is a good place to start as is the FAST number. Look for top rated horses in those plus the PWR rating. They are good singles. ;)

Another poster asked about picks for FL today. I can't work on that today, but one day I will pick a track and handicap with Handifast, and then post the picks. I hope that others will join that fiasco...um...I mean experiment.

And also listen to Doug. After all, he's created this monster. :)

douglasw32
09-29-2009, 11:10 AM
My main play is actually at Finger Lakes today

teddy
09-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Hi, Can you tell what you like about your play so i can get a feel for this program. Seems like there are about 3 programs out there that you can plug your bris file into and get a power number. How is this different? I see a FAST sheet with a big breakdown of all the pace numbers and other factors. Do you use a consensus with the Handi program to get contenders? Why do you like this play..

douglasw32
09-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Okay SCRATCH THAT ! I handicapped yesterday card, not todays (but did it today) I will do Belmont Tomorrow for ya

AAcoolguy
09-29-2009, 05:54 PM
steve

Just use the latest version from HeadHawg, it has all you need. Don't worry about all of the older versions. Plug some old data files in and see what would have worked those days, did the top 4 do well, was the FAST number out of whack, how did the PRW number do? Bris has free archive charts now so you can check results from any day you choose to handicap. Find what works for YOU and stick with it.

douglasw32
09-29-2009, 08:08 PM
MNR r4

Handi F.A.S.T.

Sorting starting with CL

Lose 4, 20 points the lowest

Look at othe Class factors PC, C-C

Need to put 4 back in the Mix
highest PC

1 looks okay 5 is about the lowest as I sort across

now I look at the speed indicators, Track is Good, Race is on Dirt so MY and DT

1,5,7 and 4 look pretty week.. Have to lose 4 with more than one negative even with the PC up there. 5 is out for sure...

1 is on the bubble..

now s3/s2/s1
Nothing stands out that I can hang my hat on.

Pace indicators EP/LP and P-S

1-4-5

1 is starting to fall in the gap with 4 and 5

Form indicators, DS, FM, FAST

6 and maybe 7 could go

and connections, Tr, JK, ML
7 and 4 again look poor

so 1,4,5,6 and 7 all look to be weak in more than one area.

2-3 are all that pass the 1st round of elimination.
3, 114 days rest..

I go across the top and anyone who is ranked 1st in any of the areas above gets a pass back in..
7-4-6 rejoin 3-2

SO I have 5 contenders after all of that =)

Lots of E/P in the Race one S horse the 7 with the highest LP

So if I had to keep one it would be the 7

I look at PWR and the TOP 4 and 2 and 6 float to the top.

I will toss 3 for the layoff

6 deserves a closer look
2 most definitely looks best.
7 for the closing advantage.

4 has the highest FAST by a ton. but not in the top 4 and has a number of reasons to drop

The 2 and 6 are shippers
7 is still looking like a good play.

Now I ALWAYS go completely away from my own creation and look at another source, e-ponies, the DRF, anything and see if I have agreement or if I looked past something I should not have.

In this case I went to http://www.oneclickpony.com

Picks the 6 on top so I will go with the favorite and hope he holds off the 7 at the end.

That is how I do it every single time.

09/29/09 MNR 4 $5 Win 6 ------
(http://racing.youbet.com/wr_9_3/wagerLog/default.asp#)

SOUTHERN SLEW
09-29-2009, 08:13 PM
I would appreciate if someone could list a brief tutorial that explains the 16 different Tabs on the summary page beginning with LR, you can exclude FAST, S1, S2, S3, CC, PS, PWR since those were already discussed
thanks
steve

douglasw32
09-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Not disappointed in my choice The favorite and was no where to be seen at the end, it happens.

The 1 was a problem for me, hovered in and out of contention, E-Ponies placed him 2nd best (that is why I always look outside my box)

It was not enough for me to change my mind though..but maybe someone else would have bumped him up a bit at 9-1 ?

SOUTHERN SLEW
09-29-2009, 09:09 PM
I would like to suggest that a Race Type commentary be added for each race, this could be an automatic of how the race will set up, for example if its a Sprint race and the dominant RT is EP with maybe 1 or 2 S type, then the comment could read
PACE:HEAVY PRESSURE

If the RT is primarily, S and P with a single E horse, then the comment would read
PACE: SPEED OF SPEED

If the RT was a balanced mix of E, EP, P, S then the comment should read PACE: NEUTRAL

If the RT was dominated by EP, E and P, then the comment should read
PACE: PRESSURED

This could easily be programmed into the source code where the program would select the different RT for each horse, assign a value to each RT, then that value would be sorted in 1 of 4 different fields depending on the PACE, the highest value from field 1 to 4 would determine the automatic pace commentary HEAVY PRESSURE, SPEED OF SPEED, NEUTRAL, PRESSURED.
I am not a programmer but my ideas are based on handicapping logic and over 30 years of handicapping and watching races at Belmont Park .
To prove the validity of my logic and how this information if implemented into the program would serve as an added asset to your handicapping. The test race I posted in message #136, the 1st race at Belmont Park on 9/26/09, the program selected 2, 4, 1, 10, the eventual winner
#6 O'Sotopretty was the only S horse in a race loaded with EP type horses its understandable why he was not selected in the top 4 because his numbers were dismal but he was the only S horse in the race and if a HEAVY PRESSURE PACE COMMENTARY was added then it may alert the handicapper to the fact that the top rated horses may not win and therefore it would be advisable to look closer for a S type horse, and you would have been handsomely rewarded with a $14 winner.

This is an excellent program designed by a group of bright minds in douglasw32, headhawg, Handiman, they should be highly commended for their masterpiece and the fact that its available as a free program to members of Paceadvantage, I wish you all the best and I want to take this opportunity on behalf of all the members to thank you for this opportunity for the ability to have access to this program.
Steve

douglasw32
09-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Steve, I so wish I knew the language the other 2 are doing the programming in. I will learn it over the winter for sure, but as of now maybe one of them would find time to do this, I actually handicap it that way.

Thats why I broke the quirin points into H (high) , (Medium) and (low) instead of the 1,2,3,4,5,6 points etc, was so I could try to gauge pace pressure. and Race shape.

The way the program has mutated, it would be an awesome addition above the top 4 picks.

And as you point out the top 4 are not automatics, you need to take it with a grain of common sense ;)

I would add it to my summary page but this is one of those things I turned to handi and headhawg for, since I do not how to program in any sorting routines (yet) so it would need to go into what has turned into the main program ;)

(THANKS GUYS)

And I actually can only take credit now for the original idea, and beginning code, what it has grown into and what it does now is beyond what I had even imagined.

With it being open source and in a very easy to learn language, who knows how far it could go.

headhawg
09-30-2009, 10:29 AM
I would appreciate if someone could list a brief tutorial that explains the 16 different Tabs on the summary page beginning with LR, you can exclude FAST, S1, S2, S3, CC, PS, PWR since those were already discussed
thanks
steveLR - Days since last race; CL - a class rating based on up to the last five speed ratings; DS,MY, & TF (Distance, Mud, & Turf) are based on comparisons of performance or pedigree on that surface/distance; EP - average early pace up to the last five races; LP - same, but for late pace; RT - running style; RS - categorized by Quirin speed points (H = high, M=medium, L=low - I'm guessing at Doug's abbreviations); FM - Doug's form points; PC - a modified version of Wm Scott's Performance Class Rating; AW - best all-weather track fig; DT - highest rated dirt fig (I think); TR & JK - score based on trainer/jockey win% in relevant categories in today's race; ML - morning line odds

If I'm wrong about some of these I hope that Doug or Handi will correct me. Yeah, I know. I work on the code I should know what everything means but frankly I don't. :)

redeye007
09-30-2009, 10:23 PM
I would like to commend you guys and say thanks for the opportunity to try your software. the early pick 4 at Oak Tree Santa Anita was very nice. Results of race 1 top pick won, race 2 2nd pick won, race 3 top pick won, race 4 2nd pick won. $1 pick 4 paid $981. :ThmbUp:

redeye007
09-30-2009, 11:20 PM
I would like to commend you guys and say thanks for the opportunity to try your software. the early pick 4 at Oak Tree Santa Anita was very nice. Results of race 1 top pick won, race 2 2nd pick won, race 3 top pick won, race 4 2nd pick won. $1 pick 4 paid $981. :ThmbUp:

this is interesting. in race 9, 6 and 11 are tied for 1st in the FM column with a rating of 94 each. #6 won the race and paid $157.60 :eek:

douglasw32
09-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Paceless Race shape, 2nd EP and 2nd best trainer,2nd distance- but you had to swallow an 8% jockey. I had the 3 =(

headhawg
10-01-2009, 12:13 AM
FAST/Handifast did pretty well at TP tonight, but who's keeping track.... :)

SOUTHERN SLEW
10-01-2009, 01:37 AM
hi HH
WOW, that was awfully nice of you to list the manual of instructions for the tabs on the main summary page, well this could just be the beginning of the Official Handifast user manual, every program needs a manual and so does Handifast, the best program on the market
steve

lsosa54
10-01-2009, 06:22 AM
In my experience with SoCal only, the top ranks in that FM column will produce some bombs, although they don't come every day, but at those mutuels. who cares. It produced a $100 horse at FPX as well as some others that payed $20 or $30+.

As I recall at FPX, it was an mcl route, and the horse had 2 pretty awful sprint starts, but with a high LP number in one. You will have to trust the calculation, because if you look at the horse's form too logically, you will talk yourself right off it.

redeye007
10-01-2009, 03:51 PM
In my experience with SoCal only, the top ranks in that FM column will produce some bombs, although they don't come every day, but at those mutuels. who cares. It produced a $100 horse at FPX as well as some others that payed $20 or $30+.

As I recall at FPX, it was an mcl route, and the horse had 2 pretty awful sprint starts, but with a high LP number in one. You will have to trust the calculation, because if you look at the horse's form too logically, you will talk yourself right off it.

It's interesting to note that you mentioned maiden claiming race. race 6 at Oak Tree also had a longshot $27.80 ranked 2nd in FM column.this was a maiden race also. races 6-9 pick 4 paid over 15k. hats off to the authors on this calculation.

SOUTHERN SLEW
10-01-2009, 11:48 PM
hello Isosa
I would appreciate if you could list the procedure you used in excell to print the summary pages from Handifast, I am using excell 2003
thanks
steve

redeye007
10-02-2009, 01:40 AM
It's interesting to note that you mentioned maiden claiming race. race 6 at Oak Tree also had a longshot $27.80 ranked 2nd in FM column.this was a maiden race also. races 6-9 pick 4 paid over 15k. hats off to the authors on this calculation.

Another example of the FM rating in a maiden race. today in race 5 at santa anita the top 2 rated FM horses were 1 and 3. 3 went off at 85-1 and ran 2nd and barely missed winning. the top 4 selections were 1-7-6-2. the one was a heavy favorite. 1-3 ex $55.20, 1-3-7 tri $288.20, 1-3-7-6 super $1,262.10. Well done development team. :ThmbUp:

lsosa54
10-02-2009, 05:50 AM
hello Isosa
I would appreciate if you could list the procedure you used in excell to print the summary pages from Handifast, I am using excell 2003
thanks
steve

Won't be back home until Tuesday but I think you can just run 2 print jobs. Select the main summary columns in the csv (excluding the top 4 section) as your print area, auto fit the column size for each, and then print in landscape. Select print grids to print the lines.

Then select the top 4 section as the print area, autofit the columns, and print.

I print to pdf using Cute Pdf and then print if i need to or just view on my laptop. Use the print preview option to see what it looks like and use the page break preview (acess from view menu) to break the pages up to your liking and based on what you can fit on a page.

SOUTHERN SLEW
10-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I would love to hear from anyone using this program at Belmont Park, so far this week I have been putting the program to the test, I go to the track
every day, I tried using the TSN data and was not having much luck, then today I tried the BRIS data , did not have much luck either, lost amost every race until finally in the 9th race it had the 9 3 12 trifecta cold paying $170.
I experimented with the various summary reports, there was no advantage using the top FM numbers, I noticed that some member had luck using those numbers at the CA tracks, the Mitchell PWR rating so far is not very reliable, the Ep/LP RT is quite effective when analyzing the outcome of the race, it clearly points to the early and late horses and the FAST numbers are quite reliable.
But a racap after the fact of todays top 4 selections
1st race 3rd choice won $18
2nd race out
3rd race out
4th race top selection won $10.60
5th race top selection won $4.80
6th race top selection won $3.80, hit the $13.60 exacta and hit the $36 triple
7th 4th choice won $10.40
8th race 2nd choice won $9.70
9th race hit the 9 3 12 triple cold for $170

so looking back I would have to take back some of my statements and say that the results were great and the BRIS data seems to be more effective than the TSN, I know that the BRIS data includes the variant and the TSN does not, if you look back at message #136 my test analysis of the program which was the first time I tried it using the BRIS data, the results were exceptional, so for my first 1 week test at Belmont Park, I would recommend just following the top 4 selections.
steve

douglasw32
10-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Steve, I only play NYRA..and I am having my A88 handed to me the last week.

I keep picking around the one that does win out of the top 4

As acoolguy (I think) mentioned, don't chase the winner, find what works and it will come back around, but man it is hard for me going through a losing streak.

dartman51
10-02-2009, 11:19 PM
I'll put in my 2 cents worth here. Using TSN ProCaps files, today @ BEL looking at ONLY the TOP 4 Handi picks, and the TOP FM:

R1> Top choice fin 2nd. Top FM out

R2> 6 of 10 are FTS- NO PLAY

R3> Top choice fin 3rd Top FM #2 won pd $21.20

R4> Top choice won pd $10.60 Top FM fin 2nd

R5> Top choice won pd $4.80 Top FM SAME

R6> Top choice fin 2nd Top FM won pd $3.80

R7> Top choice fin 3rd Top choice out

R8> Top choice out Top FM out

R9> Top choice won pd $6.80 Top FM out

Using only HANDI's TOP selection, it picked 3 out of 8 for a return of $22.20. OR, using ONLY the TOP FM, also picked 3 out of 8 for a return of $29.80. In both cases you would have invested $16.00. I think 37.5% win rate is not bad. :ThmbUp:

SOUTHERN SLEW
10-03-2009, 01:23 AM
hi Dartman51, great hearing from you and thanks for posting your selections from Belmont Park today, so basically it appears that the Pro caps data and the Bris data had similar results, well I am not giving up and I will be at the track tomorrow, I will post my results tomorrow and we can compare notes.

douglasw32, where exactly is Horseheads NY, never heard of it, anyhow I was very impressed with my test results of your program , see message #136, those were incredible great results so I am not giving up with your program yet, the FAST numbers appears to be the most reliable and the top 4 selections are really quite good, I am starting to think that this program performs better on days when there is an abundance of longshots
steve

douglasw32
10-03-2009, 12:58 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=horseheads,+ny&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.450489,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Horseheads,+New+York&ll=42.171165,-76.832199&spn=0.062977,0.154324&t=h&z=13&iwloc=A

Middle of nowhere, ring a bell?

BTW- Saturday at Belmont.

Pick 6 contenders according to the magic program.

r 6-2/1/3/1a
r 7-5/4/3/1
r 8-5/2/1/1a & 3/4
r 9-(1)/7/1a/4
r10-(4)/7/2/1
r11-3/13/4/14 &"12fts" & 2/8/10

Any beyond the top 4 are high ranked in one or more of the categories but not enough to make the cut.

Now what I ALWAYS am trying to find a way to do, is separate the contenders to a win bet ?

At least it is a more reliable start then trying to handicap all of them in each race.

My actual ticket ended up being.

10/03/09BEL6$12 Pick-62 / 5 / 1,7 / 1 / 2-4 / 3

SOUTHERN SLEW
10-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Hi Douglasw32
Thanks for the map, I thought Horseheads NY was located somewhere in Belmont Park, never imagined that it was an actual city upstate NY.just joking, trying to cheer you up!!!!
Anyhow I wanted to make my report to the forum after what was an incredible winning performance by the magic program Handifast, created by genius from Horseheads, NY Douglasw32

Belmont Park 10/3/09
Race 1 (9 1 3 2) the 9 1 3 triple cold $ $34
Race 2 ( 7 2 1 8)top choice won $3.80, 3rd choice ran 2nd the exacta $26.60
Race 3 (6 7 8 3) 4th choice won $9, top 4 boxed triple 3 8 6 $120
Race 4 (4 1 5 9) lost
Race 5 (2 8 3 10) THIS RACE BELONGS TO ME, THANKS TO HANDIFAST
$2 Trifecta $913.00 2-8-10
$2 Exacta $134.00 2-8
I HIT THE TRIPLE AND THE EXACTA, PICKED UP $1047
Race 6 (2 1 3 1) 2 1 exacta paid $3.70
Race 7 (5 1 4 3) 4 5 exacta paid $20.40
Race 8 (5 2 3 6) 3 5 6 triple paid $751
Race 9 (1 4 7 8) lost
Race 10 (4 7 2 1) lost
Race 11 (3 4 11 8) lost

This is an incredible GREAT little magic program, you just have to be patient, in my comments yesterday I made a statement that this program excels on the days when longshots dominate and todays results verifies that fact, it picked both the $913 triple in the 5th race which I hit, then it came back and hit the $751 triple in the 8th race which I missed , plus it gives you lots of action on the card with multiple wins and exactas, I highly recommend this program and the results speak for themself, you can match this program up against any of the more expensive and highly touted program on the market today that require $100 plus commitment to purchase data, it does just as good. and the creators and designers of this program deserve all the credit, they should be proud of what they have put together and I realize that it took them years of research and testing, compiling the best ideas from their combined years of handicapping. Cheers to you Douglasw32 the brains behind it all and thanks for the cooperation and contribution of Handi and headhawg.
Steve

headhawg
10-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Great stuff Steve. Congrats! I keep telling myself that one day I will stop coding and start playing, and after seeing your results that day has to be soon.

Oh, btw -- if you read the license agreement, the programmers get 25% of all winnings. :D

douglasw32
10-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Comments like this is the reason I set it loose... I love hearing when someone has a good day with it.

douglasw32
10-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Has anyone ever tried to figure out of maybe the rankings of the top 4 could improve, the wife noticed that it fails more on g1 races then mdn claimers

Like the top One of the top 4, then the top FM then the top PWR then the top FST to make up a top 4

Or maybe the top EP, top LP, top FM, top CC to make up top 4 ??

Maybe one works better at sprints (the PCR is only usefull to front runners in sprint for instance)

Does anyone PLAY around with the top 4 that has any input on improving it

Handiman
10-04-2009, 04:17 PM
All I know is I can't wait till we double the price. Then all the hard work will really payoff. :lol:

This has and continues to be the best project I have ever been involved with since computers hit the desktop. It's amazing the feeling you can get when you give with no concern for getting back. But I have received back much more than money or what it could buy as a result of my participation.

douglasw32
10-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Agreed...

Los Alamitos 1/4 horses, HandiFast picks exactas and tris like crazy tonight.
Using Bris $1.00 file

headhawg
10-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Has anyone ever tried to figure out of maybe the rankings of the top 4 could improve, the wife noticed that it fails more on g1 races then mdn claimers

Like the top One of the top 4, then the top FM then the top PWR then the top FST to make up a top 4

Or maybe the top EP, top LP, top FM, top CC to make up top 4 ??

Maybe one works better at sprints (the PCR is only usefull to front runners in sprint for instance)

Does anyone PLAY around with the top 4 that has any input on improving itI have been trying to tweak it once the bugs were fixed. I have not come up with any combination that is better than the existing one overall. You could look at one race and one card and find that some rating works great (like FM, or C-C, or whatever) but it's almost like Fool's Gold. AAcoolguy's advice is still the best -- don't chase the winner. Find something that works and stick with it until it doesn't.

Also, that other project that I emailed you about may help with this should it come to fruition.

douglasw32
10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Agreed on the other project... I am trying to find time to get the info out to you/them

My work just hired on two more bodies to help me out, so this should put my work days back to normal and I should finally have some free time to see my kids and my house more.

So , soon...

lsosa54
10-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Just another plug for the program: In Friday's 1st race @ Oaktree, the top FAST # of 105, with a 5 pt. advantage over the odds on favorite who was ranked 2nd FAST, won by 2 and paid $40.80.

The favorite finished 3rd and the place horse was certainly gettable. He showed up 2nd in the trainer column and midpack in a few other columns.

Exacta paid $163.70 and the tri $693.90, both for a $1. The $1 super with a 6-1 1st time starter paid $8289.

It was a maiden claiming $50k condition.

Handiman
10-06-2009, 08:58 PM
I am just a couple of days away from having another program written for a guy in which I designed the infrastructure to be used with Handifast. When done with that one, I'll be ready to infuse the guts of handifast into the new structure.

Now the question to all, and especially Doug and Head, What version should I be putting into the program? I'd appreciate a heads up in that direction, and if I have the sourcecode already, just tell me which one. Or send me the one to use.

Thanks,

headhawg
10-06-2009, 09:54 PM
I've got about 7,000 different versions on my machine when I was experimenting with other things. I would say HHX v1.5, and you have the source code for that already.

I actually have a version (1.5.2) that allows the data folder to be located anywhere not just c:\horse\data, but I am changing a couple of other things with that before I release it or send you the code. I've been working another project and haven't gotten around to finishing it.

AAcoolguy
10-07-2009, 02:18 AM
HHX v1.5. that's all I have been using lately.

douglasw32
10-07-2009, 10:53 PM
HHX v1.5. that's all I have been using lately.

Agree

Handiman
10-08-2009, 04:34 AM
It's 1:30 in the Am. here and I have been chasing a bug in the structure of this other program for 4 hours. Just found it and cleared it. The other program is complete, just now need to deliver it tomorrow. Spend a couple of days on bug patrol with owner and then onto Handifast...six track version.

I feel about half dead and will sleep in tomorrow like Rip Van Winkle probably. But really making some progress.

I will also start looking over the code of head's 1.5 to see what I need to import into the structure I just built. I'm sure I'll need some guidance from Head and Doug.

So soon guys....I hope.

headhawg
10-08-2009, 08:29 AM
No rush, Handi. Get some sleep. :sleeping:

I am almost done with HHX v1.6 which adds three things: the ability to load data files from any folder, not just c:\horse\data ; the ability to save the csv output to any folder; and, a new "cleaner" csv file in addition to the old one.

The original csv output has redundant data in it. The reason for that was that it displayed well visually in Excel and that made it easier for users to just load and use. The second csv file is for those who may want to research the ratings. It is in a format that closely resembles what a Bris data file or xrd file might look like.

I hope to be finished with that by tonight or at the latest tomorrow. Still testing.

permenbg
10-08-2009, 02:54 PM
where can i get this( http://localpcpros.com/HandiFAST_Version_X.exe)
this link is bad or will not work on my pc..

permenbg

railbird
10-08-2009, 11:23 PM
I also could use a little help, when I go to hhx ver1 I keep getting that notice about being a dumbass . I would like to know how to get other files from different locations to work with hhx.VER1, I really like the sorting and variety of indicators, you guys did a terrific job ,thank you all. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
lou

headhawg
10-08-2009, 11:27 PM
where can i get this( http://localpcpros.com/HandiFAST_Version_X.exe)
this link is bad or will not work on my pc..

permenbgSee Post #122. It has the latest link and an explanation about HHX v1.5.

headhawg
10-08-2009, 11:33 PM
I also could use a little help, when I go to hhx ver1 I keep getting that notice about being a dumbass . I would like to know how to get other files from different locations to work with hhx.VER1, I really like the sorting and variety of indicators, you guys did a terrific job ,thank you all. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
louThe Dumbass error comes up when you try to select a race before you select a track, or if you try to access a race beyond what's on the card (e.g., race 10 on a nine race card). To get things to work properly, you need to set up a folder path like this -- C:\horse\data -- and put your unzipped data files in the data folder.

HHX v1.6 (not released yet) will allow the data files to be located anywhere on your computer. Well, anywhere that the user has access to.

Handiman
10-09-2009, 02:23 AM
Also the dumbass notice will be gone. It cracked me up when I first did it, but thought only a couple of guys would ever see it. But the program has grown so much, it's time now to put the Dumbass notice to bed.

Thanks to all of you who got the chance to see it and didn't hunt me down and kick my old ass. :lol:

There will still be a notice that works properly and will be much more mellow. After all it's just a necessity to keep the program from crashing... I guess it would have been funnier if the Dumbass that created it had all the bugs worked out.
Hopefuly this next trip out.

redeye007
10-09-2009, 05:17 AM
here's another plug for the handifast team. 10/8/09 race 3 at oak tree. handifast selections 4-5-2-7.$1 tri 4-5-2 $44.90 super 4-5-2-7 $102.50 . not the biggest but a perfect call :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

railbird
10-09-2009, 10:58 AM
hello head

I was putting the unzipped files from another prog and changing it to .drf into the data folder but it was no good,so i tried to delete the whole file but could not ..."access denied" So I will have to wait for ver 1.6 unless you have another solution . thanks again

lou

headhawg
10-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Lou,

1) Are you using Windows XP or Vista?

2) What data file are you using that you have to rename to .drf? Currently only Bris/TSN files will work, so if it's a Trackmaster file or something from HDW it will not. The data structures are completely different.

HH

railbird
10-09-2009, 11:40 AM
windows xp and bris $1.00 and neither .snc from bris pp gen or FLX 1006 :confused: work. :confused:

headhawg
10-09-2009, 11:45 AM
You have to put the original unzipped Bris data file in the c:\horse\data folder not something generated by Bris PPs or some other program. When you unzip the file it will already have the .drf extension, and that's what Handifast needs. You cannot use the .snc file.

railbird
10-09-2009, 11:46 AM
good thing I am not paying by the hour for this info, now when I try to reinstall I get the failed message .........because. .."{ unable to write FILE C:\FAST\handi\handifast.EXE }

headhawg
10-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Also the dumbass notice will be gone. It cracked me up when I first did it, but thought only a couple of guys would ever see it. But the program has grown so much, it's time now to put the Dumbass notice to bed.)Handi,

Are you doing a race count in the new version so that only the exact number of races is being displayed in the race selection box? If not, I think that I might have some code that will help with that.

HH

headhawg
10-09-2009, 11:56 AM
good thing I am not paying by the hour for this info, now when I try to reinstall I get the failed message .........because. .."{ unable to write FILE C:\FAST\handi\handifast.EXE }Yes good thing. You don't want to know my hourly rate. :D If you are reinstalling, it is best if you uninstall the old version and then do a "clean" install. Then just make sure the data files are in the correct location and all should be fine.

Handiman
10-09-2009, 01:53 PM
No Head I have not. So if you have the code, by all means put it in. I've had so much on my plate that I just threw in 15 races with a new note to replace the dumbass note.

railbird
10-09-2009, 03:59 PM
stuck in the middle will not let me uninstall or reinstall
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

headhawg
10-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Doug is going to have to advise you on that, Lou. However, if you send me a PM with your email I can send you the stand-alone version of Handifast which can simply be unzipped and run from its own folder. However, you will not have Doug's FAST version as that is included with the installer program.

headhawg
10-10-2009, 01:54 PM
I am almost done with HHX v1.6 which adds three things: the ability to load data files from any folder, not just c:\horse\data ; the ability to save the csv output to any folder; and, a new "cleaner" csv file in addition to the old one.

The original csv output has redundant data in it. The reason for that was that it displayed well visually in Excel and that made it easier for users to just load and use. The second csv file is for those who may want to research the ratings. It is in a format that closely resembles what a Bris data file or xrd file might look like.Added one more thing, technically making this HHX v1.6.1. The Race Selection screen will now display only the races on the current card. :jump: I think. lol This should mean no more "Dumbass" messages UNLESS you try to load a race without choosing a track. But v1.6.1 won't let you choose Race 10 on a nine race card, for example, because R10 won't be in the list.

I just added that a little while ago, and so I haven't had time to do thorough testing. So, I'm sure the users will tell me if there is a problem. ;) If you want this version, send me an email if I have sent you a previous version. If you are new to Handifast, then send me a PM with your email.

This version is also self-contained. It extracts to a completely different folder than HHX v1.5, so if things get screwy with this version you can still go back to 1.5 with no problem. Included is a text file with the description of the fields in the new csv file. BTW, that file is stored in the same directory that you save the original file in. The current file name format (subject to change) is this: APX1001h.csv. Notice that there is no year in the file name, unlike the original csv file.

douglasw32
10-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Top Handi rank in meadowlands race 6, 20/30 -1
7 min to post, trained by Pletcher ???

douglasw32
10-10-2009, 09:27 PM
2nd best won

redeye007
10-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Huge day at Oak Tree today with Handifast. last 6 winners picked 1st or 2nd plus tris and exactas. great going guys. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :jump:

Handiman
10-14-2009, 02:41 PM
I have not made any progress the last few days and I'm sorry for that, but I've been very sick. Just now getting online since Sunday Morning. I'll try and get moving as soon as I feel better.

Handi :blush:

douglasw32
10-14-2009, 03:16 PM
flu?

Handiman
10-14-2009, 03:43 PM
No, A cold and heart problems again. I'm doing everything I can to stay away from the flu...especially the swine flu. Doesn't bode well for guys in my condition.

But if the Swine flu does cut me down, probably some justice as there have been many a swine that have bought the farm so I could have a nice BLT sandwich or bacon and egg breakfast. :D

Handi

AAcoolguy
10-14-2009, 10:12 PM
It looks like the Swine Flu (H1N1) is doing more harm to younger people. Maybe because us older folks have built up our immunity by eating all those pork products! :D

On another note, how do you guys feel about TSN packing it in? That's a real pain to me. I use the .50 files almost exclusively, if I have to switch to BRIS thats going to double my data expenses!

Handiman
10-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Like a really big cake, my ass is frosted! It just feels wrong. :mad: The little guy is the one that seems to be losing out here. At least for my money.

Although for the more serious player, and by that I mean the guy who has the time to play multiple tracks day after day, the TSN advantage plan with unlimited procaps' files for $60 a month is a great deal. If Bris continues with this plan then things are a bit easier to swallow.

It does seem that any loss of competition in the market ultimately hurts the little guy. And that always STINKS!

Handi :ThmbDown:

punteray
10-15-2009, 11:09 AM
"on another note" Now I know why I use the tote board odds to do my 'capping!!:)

Ray Scalise

clockerwalker
10-15-2009, 11:57 AM
When is TSN packing it IN?
First I heard of it.
Been using them since 1996.

ranchwest
10-15-2009, 03:06 PM
When is TSN packing it IN?
First I heard of it.
Been using them since 1996.
See the thread in the handicapping section. I think it is about a month away. They are being rolled into BRIS.

Handiman
10-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Some time ago I read somewhere that Bris had bought TSN. I just figured at the time it was a consolidation and Bris wanted the extra cash flow. After all, how much does it take to add a couple of web pages to a site with the TSN data files?

It would seem logical to me that the data files must be computer generated so the man hours to produce them would be minimal. And all the data files are damn near the same anyway.

But then what do I know. I'm just some dilwad that thought customer service was important.

"Build it and they will come" oh and then take it away and screw em'

Handi :mad:

AAcoolguy
10-15-2009, 10:53 PM
"on another note" Now I know why I use the tote board odds to do my 'capping!!:)

Ray Scalise

I have tried my hand at toteboard watching with a program that supposedly was to alert me to profitable plays when the odds went a certain way. The problem I had with it was, I was glued to the computer screen every race and it usually gave me the favorite.

It would be great to never have to buy a form again, but until I can decipher the board (or any other selection method not using traditional Handicapping) I am a slave to the data masters.:ThmbDown:

punteray
10-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Unfortunately, watching the tote board does keep you glued to the computer screen. I am retired so that is not a problem, I'm on my office anyway. What program did you use to "alert you to profitablr plays"? I use my own 'homegrown' program and play the exactas and tri's.

Ray

Rferguson
10-16-2009, 02:09 PM
doesn't seem to work with windows 7 any solutions yet?

douglasw32
10-16-2009, 08:27 PM
"The planned follow-on release to Windows Vista, code-named Windows 7, will not include the Visual Basic 6.0 (VB 6) runtime libraries, Microsoft has begun informing customers. This sets a timeframe for the final end of support for the runtime."

As we have informed on several occasion in this Blog, Microsoft is performing all the normal steps to retire a technology from market. Visual Basic 6 was/is a tremendously popular technology but never the less it will have to go away.

sol I AM GUESSING

AAcoolguy
10-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Unfortunately, watching the tote board does keep you glued to the computer screen. I am retired so that is not a problem, I'm on my office anyway. What program did you use to "alert you to profitablr plays"? I use my own 'homegrown' program and play the exactas and tri's.

Ray

... was the name of it, you entered odds at different times before the race and it gave color coded and numerical indicators whether to bet a horse or not. It was a bit complicated mostly because there were certain combinations of colors or numbers you had to look for. The guy who ran it must have been foreign because the explanations from his website were not written well and a bit confusing.

Handiman
10-16-2009, 10:16 PM
I am presently working with HeadHawg getting the first track working in the multi track handifast version. Tremendous progress has been made in a very short time. I believe this is due to my building the program structure in another program which is allowing the importation of that structure to Handifast.

Once this is ready to go, it will then be up to Doug as to how to make the program available and installable. Headhawg has done some great work on making this program quite valuable, building on Doug's original work.

I am just a carpenter in their service. The next version I believe will be...
"The H.H. Wood's Handifast Program" Version X I guess.

Six tracks will be playable live at one time, with the switch from one track/race display a matter of one button click. When one track is finished it may be closed with the click of one button leaving all other tracks up and running and making the just closed track control available for loading another track all without closing out the program.

Head has added code that will allow user to stick with C:\horse\data or put their data anywhere they want. Each race will also be printable by a printer resulting in hard copy or printed to csv file.

Now here's where some input is needed. We talked before about a race style designation based on running style makeup of the horses entered. If you have some ideas on how to accomplish this please toss them out for consideration.

douglasw32
10-16-2009, 10:37 PM
I am presently working with HeadHawg getting the first track working in the
Now here's where some input is needed. We talked before about a race style designation based on running style makeup of the horses entered. If you have some ideas on how to accomplish this please toss them out for consideration.

Something like this...

Pace Pressure Gauge (PPG) – The Pace Pressure Gauge is made up of two components, pace pressure and pace velocity. The gauge points to the pace match-up bias. The Pace Pressure Gauge is calibrated early because over 60% of all races, regardless of distance, are won by early pace running styles. The gauge output will look something like this: 34 X 1. Of course there are many possibilities. The first number represents pace pressure and is generated by the number of early pace horses (E, E/P, P) with 5 or more Quirin speed points. The second rating is generated by the number of one dimensional early pace horses (E) with 5 or more speed points. When the Pace Pressure Gauge exceeds 21 in the pressure reading, the pace bias has shifted slightly to a late pace bias. The higher the numbers the more likely the race will go to our P/Cs and Cs. Conversely, the lower the numbers the more likely the race will be won by our Es and E/Ps. The Pace Pressure Gauge is also a tool to help you assess value. For example, if you must play a horse that is facing a pace match-up bias that's not in its favor, add points to the odds you're willing to take.

http://www.paceappraiser.com/products/past_performances.php

Handiman
10-16-2009, 11:58 PM
This is like working with Doug Einstein....:cool: Thanks again for letting me be involved with your program! :ThmbUp:

Jeff P
10-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Doug,
Thought you might find this link to be of interest:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx

Best,

-jp

Rferguson
10-17-2009, 09:35 AM
I found that if I set comparability mode to xp it works GREAT
Ron

headhawg
10-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Good to hear that Ron. I heard that Microsoft tried to make the compatibility mode much better than previous versions. Nice that it works.

douglasw32
10-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Wow thanks to all of you for making 7 not make me feels so bad.
not sure I could take TSN and WINDOWS 7 at the same time.

douglasw32
10-17-2009, 01:36 PM
This is like working with Doug Einstein....:cool: Thanks again for letting me be involved with your program! :ThmbUp:

Nah I didn't come up with that, I just use it all the time, good little book he sold, never used the PP's but they look solid...

Anyway, I was wondering, what about instead of just the top 4, maybe a column that shows the rank..

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 etc

In your upcoming masterpiece, and you 2 took it beyond my wildest imagination.

lsosa54
10-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Nah I didn't come up with that, I just use it all the time, good little book he sold, never used the PP's but they look solid...

Anyway, I was wondering, what about instead of just the top 4, maybe a column that shows the rank..

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 etc

In your upcoming masterpiece, and you 2 took it beyond my wildest imagination.

1-whether you go top 4 or rank them all, if possible, let the user determine the rank components, which I believe you do by assigning points to each factor or the rank in each factor? Being mainly a poly and turf Socal player, I most likely will never use the dirt or mud factor unless I'm playing a national race somewhere else or if the Breeder's Cup is on a dirt surface that year, etc. I will also look more heavily at late pace as a factor, for instance.

2-also on a factor like late pace, I think you look at the last 4 races? Any way to avg say the 2 best of last 4 to avoid a bad race which may depress that factor's relative rank too badly? This may be getting too customizable but just a thought.

In any case, thanks to Handi, Doug, and HH for the continued work and I think HandifastHHXv16.exe is pretty darn cool and usable as is.

Mon
10-18-2009, 01:29 AM
the ranking is a good idea;
something similar to simulcap or even similar to summary page of brisnet ultimate pp's format would be cool

headhawg
10-18-2009, 11:08 AM
I love the suggestions and could probably implement many of them. Here's the rub, though. Handi is diligently working on the new multitrack version of Handifast. It's got about five times as many lines of code. I don't relish the thought of having to decipher the new version. :) So hopefully Handi is amenable to implementing those changes.

I have made a slight change to HHX per a user suggestion. V1.6.2 puts the program numbers with the horses on the scratch screen. It also changes the name of the second saved csv file (the newer one) to match the Bris format for xrd files (e.g., OSA1014.csv). I just eliminated the "h" from the file name.

If you want this version and already have v1.6.1 just send me an email. For simplicity, I will only send the .tkn file and I will use the same name as v1.6.1. So FIRST, rename the 1.6.1 tkn file to something else (the current name is HandifastHHXv16.tkn), and then place the newer one into the 1.6.1 folder. Then if things don't work right you can always go back to v1.6.1 by renaming it back.

MitchS
10-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi guys,

I've only been following along just recently. I just wanted to chime in and say...WOW, you guys have really done a great job with this program and on the surface this program as a stand alone method of selection is doing good from what I can see. Of course I use it in a different way. I like to use my own perosnal sheets that I've been posting for free on my website along with one other program. But, I've also been adding this program into the mix to see how some of my contenders fair with your top 4 and some of the stats. It's working well as an extra tool in the arsenal. A big thanks for that. A JOB WELL DONE GUY'S and you know who you are! Open source all all, this is fantastic! I'm not a programmer but let me know if I can help in anyway?

HH, I'd like to see the new version? The version i have is HHX ver 1.0.

Great job again!
M

douglasw32
10-19-2009, 10:35 PM
This was lost somehow, includes newest handifast and my newest summary sheet.

Handiman
10-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Here's an update on me and the program:

Just got back from the Dr. My heart is now beating in synch with the help of the defib device in my chest. But my heart won't completely give in apparently and is beating and extra beat on it's own. So for every two machine beats it beats once on it's own. So it is beating a third more than it's suppose too and as a result of that and a couple other things the efficiency of my heart..where normal is 80-85% mine is 20-25% when I went in today it was at 18% but they were able to get it up a bit.

The Dr.'s are stumped as to why they can't control my heart and they are a bit baffled why I'm still up and walking and alive. I figure God wants me to continue horse racing.

As for the Handifast program, I have 4 tracks done with just two left to finish. But it's just taking me longer because I get so tired and have to sleep so much. But I will continue to go forward and get it done as soon as I can.

chrisl
10-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Thank you for all that you have done. But take care of yourself. Your neighbor from Sacramento. Chris

Handiman
10-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks Buddy,

If I didn't have this project to keep me going, I don't know what I'd do. Can't wait to get this next version done and out in the field.

chrisl
10-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Thank you. Handi.for everything. Chris

headhawg
10-23-2009, 08:54 AM
As for the Handifast program, I have 4 tracks done with just two left to finish. But it's just taking me longer because I get so tired and have to sleep so much. But I will continue to go forward and get it done as soon as I can.There's lots and lots of code there, Handi. Take your time and get as much rest as you need. If you need me to help out with some of the code I can certainly try.

A question for Handifast users: has anyone tried this on Windows 7? I know that only certain people here would have used the beta version of 7 but I am curious as to whether or not Liberty Basic programs (like Handifast) will work on it. I've been putting off learning another programming language but I may have to if there are too many incompatibilities with Vista/Win7 and LB.

headhawg
10-23-2009, 09:09 AM
But, I've also been adding this program into the mix to see how some of my contenders fair with your top 4 and some of the stats. It's working well as an extra tool in the arsenal. A big thanks for that. A JOB WELL DONE GUY'S and you know who you are!I think that a lot of users are doing something similar Mitch. There's a lot of good stuff in Handifast but some things that are missing in it as well. (For now... ;) ) So like you, some people are using Handifast as their main selection tool and then supplementing it with something else (trainer stats, track profiles, etc.), or the other way around with Handifast numbers (FAST or PWR, for example) confirming Beyers or form cycles or what have you.

It's been a great project to be a part of, and it's always nice to hear that people enjoy using Handifast.

douglasw32
10-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Handi you have taken this and made it something special and headhawg has been a tremendous resource.

This is so much more than my little program I started with. I use it everyday, and I use it now with the pace figures in the alldata spreadsheet.

I have found that it makes picking Sprints, On the Dirt for 3 yo and up very very easy to hit.

That's how I use it.

raybo
10-24-2009, 06:24 AM
Handi you have taken this and made it something special and headhawg has been a tremendous resource.

This is so much more than my little program I started with. I use it everyday, and I use it now with the pace figures in the alldata spreadsheet.

I have found that it makes picking Sprints, On the Dirt for 3 yo and up very very easy to hit.

That's how I use it.

That's kinda funny, I've been thinking about maybe using some of the figs from your program in the AllData spreadsheet.:) I imagine some of your followers are also watching to see what ends up in AllData.

douglasw32
10-24-2009, 07:36 AM
I love that spreadsheet you have built =)

I do not even look at a racing form anymore with the two in combination.

I have not taken the time to "join them in" what I do is copy and paste from my summary sheet into the sheet2 tab, and then look at the races in handifast, kick out the csv and then sheet3 and import txt and go find it in the handi folder.

And there I have it, everything and then some I need.

Of course then you have to close WITHOUT SAVE and repeat, but the rewards have been many.

raybo
10-24-2009, 08:07 AM
I love that spreadsheet you have built =)

I do not even look at a racing form anymore with the two in combination.

I have not taken the time to "join them in" what I do is copy and paste from my summary sheet into the sheet2 tab, and then look at the races in handifast, kick out the csv and then sheet3 and import txt and go find it in the handi folder.

And there I have it, everything and then some I need.

Of course then you have to close WITHOUT SAVE and repeat, but the rewards have been many.

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm hoping that, eventually, both yours and Handi's programs will be combined into one program, like many others here I imagine, and then go from there. Maybe one csv file to import will make the job of "merging" it with AllData simpler.

I like the idea of being able to "manipulate" your data, as well as Bris', in Excel.

I'm working on my automated paceline selection "decision tree" now, so, it will be a while before any of the above gets more serious thought.

lsosa54
10-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks Buddy,

If I didn't have this project to keep me going, I don't know what I'd do. Can't wait to get this next version done and out in the field.

Just to keep your juices flowing, Handi, here's the 6th from Oaktree on Thursday.

Top Distance Rating:

8 Fiery Rebel

Top FAST # :
8 Fiery Rebel

Top Choice (highest # of points):

8 Fiery Rebel

Race Winner (8-1 ML):

8 Fiery Rebel Valdez Felipe 121 33.40 16.60 10.80

He was also top HeadHawg PWR and top 4 in most other ratings.

headhawg
10-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Wow. Usually a Top 4 pick with the top FAST and top PWR is the chalk or 2nd choice. I hope that you had that one.

lsosa54
10-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Wow. Usually a Top 4 pick with the top FAST and top PWR is the chalk or 2nd choice. I hope that you had that one.

HH: The reason you had that kind of price was the public had bet down the entries ridden by Rosario and Bejarano, two of the leading jocks, both below 3-1. They were both dropping from c25000n2l. One had finished 5th of 7 and the other 9th of 10.

The winner was trained and ridden by a sub 10% jock and trainer on the circuit and on his 17th try, had broken mc20000 at FPX. However, he had run a nice race at this level (c12500n2l) just missing 3rd with a non ideal trip not far back from the leader at any call. It looked like it had retained its form from the wake up maiden breaker at FPX.

The winner was 1-18 lifetime, Rosario's horse 1-20, and Bejarano's horse 1-9. I think the public forgets that in a low level conditioned claimer, anything is possible, esp. with good current form. Fiery Rebel was tied for 2nd FM rating and 3rd PC rating, ahead of both the Rosario and Bejarano favorites.

The low ML in this race was 4-1 and I think that spoke volumes.

Handiman
10-27-2009, 02:19 AM
Finished coding the sixth track tonight. Now I have some bug chasing to do and put in the printing code. I won't have the race shape barometer done with the next version as I have not settled on how to set it up and calculate the numbers.

Pcon04
10-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Handi
I have question in regards to the ep and lp # in your handifast prog

As best I can figure It's the pace of the horse's race it came out of Correct?

If this is the case wouldn't it be more prudent to use the horse's pace #

early or late so one can figure who is going to the front or has the best

closing figure. If I'm wrong sorry for the qustion. I'm still trying to figure

out the best way to use the #'s and being a pace capper I'm struggling

a bit.Oh I use the bris single files

Pcon04

Handiman
10-29-2009, 06:43 PM
No the numbers are the horse's numbers and not the race's number. So you are getting the strength of the horse and not a key race number.

I have all 6 tracks now done and the bugs worked out I believe. I'm working on the csv printing code provided by HeadHawg. Not sure just yet how best to set it up, nor do I completely understand how it all works.

The code for the hard copy is done but not installed yet as I was hoping to put the printing all together in one module. I'll keep working on it.

douglasw32
10-30-2009, 06:36 AM
I did not go look but I am pretty sure it is the early average (2f) for the last 5 or how ever many races up to 5 VS the LP figure averaged same criteria.

or maybe last 3, been a while since i looked at the code.

Pcon04
10-30-2009, 07:32 AM
thanks doug,

I was looking at keenland and one horse's lp fig jumped out it

was 113 maybe it was ep and it just seemed to high .So I looked

at the pp's and the leader ran real fast and the horse was not close.

I was hoping the lp fig could help me solve that puzzle but haven't done

it yet

pcon

Handiman
10-30-2009, 10:20 PM
As I am still tracing down some bugs, before I go further and do quite a bit of work on the printing, is there anybody really using or interested in the printing?

If it's not something that is of any real importance to anyone, I don't want to waste a lot of time programming the printing option if it will just sit idly by and not be of any importance to anyone.

Please let me know.

Handiman
10-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Another thing I am concerned about. With the TSN fiasco and the multicaps replacing Procaps and then with the following results from OSA today, I don't know what files to use in the future.

Here is how .drf data file did with new handifast:

OSA

RACE TOP 4 FINISH PAYOUTS

R1 5-4-1-2 5-4-1-2 15.00 EX 29.80 TRi

39.80 GOOD JOB--COLD

R2 4-2-1-5 4-1-3 4.00 EX 13.80

R3 4-2-7-6 4-2-3-6 5.40 EX 31.40 TRI 123.40

R4 7-5-3-6 5-7-3-2 5.00 EX 14.00 TRI 39.60-

R5 2-6-7-1 7-1-3-8 9.40 EX 75.00

R6 9-7-6-8 2-1-9-6 out THE WINNER PAID $125.20

R7 1-3-4-6 4-3-1-6 4.20 EX 13.20 TRI 44.00

R8 4-7-8-1 3-4-8-1 OUT

The Procaps file didn't do half as well. Have no idea how the multicaps would have done.

Handi :confused:

raybo
10-30-2009, 11:16 PM
Another thing I am concerned about. With the TSN fiasco and the multicaps replacing Procaps and then with the following results from OSA today, I don't know what files to use in the future.

Here is how .drf data file did with new handifast:

OSA

RACE TOP 4 FINISH PAYOUTS

R1 5-4-1-2 5-4-1-2 15.00 EX 29.80 TRi

39.80 GOOD JOB--COLD

R2 4-2-1-5 4-1-3 4.00 EX 13.80

R3 4-2-7-6 4-2-3-6 5.40 EX 31.40 TRI 123.40

R4 7-5-3-6 5-7-3-2 5.00 EX 14.00 TRI 39.60-

R5 2-6-7-1 7-1-3-8 9.40 EX 75.00

R6 9-7-6-8 2-1-9-6 out THE WINNER PAID $125.20

R7 1-3-4-6 4-3-1-6 4.20 EX 13.20 TRI 44.00

R8 4-7-8-1 3-4-8-1 OUT

The Procaps file didn't do half as well. Have no idea how the multicaps would have done.

Handi :confused:

MultiCaps is the same as the .drf file with a couple extra pieces of data, RR and CR specifically which your program doesn't use anyway.

douglasw32
10-30-2009, 11:17 PM
I always use the bris $1.00 drf file (my 2 cents...well $1.02)

BTW- I would print, but I can from the export anyway

headhawg
10-30-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm with Doug regarding the printing. If I needed to I would just print from Excel. It's probably a benefit for those who don't have Excel though. I guess it depends on how you are setting up the printing. If you choose to attempt it I would say that most people would prefer having multiple races per printed page with no page breaks in the middle of races. I'm sure that is not easy to do, and I've never tried to write printing routines it so I will be of no help to you there.

I am tinkering with the HHX code to allow users to change the weights for the ratings as suggested by lsosa. On one hand it's not too hard to implement as the program will just load/save a weight config file. I want the config routine to be easy for the user so I am dabbling with sliders or spin boxes as the input method. Coding that is a little more involved for me so don't hold your breath. That plus the fact that my new job is keeping me quite busy, and I am working on two other programming projects as well. So consider this a teaser. :)