PDA

View Full Version : Racing fans etiquette.

Imriledup
08-27-2009, 09:46 PM
I have a friend who knows i'm a good handicapper and he seems to always want to know my best bet of the day. Is it proper etiquette for him to ask for the pick and then not play it? Part of me feels like if you ask, you should play the pick.

This got me thinking about other etiquette stuff.

Another one that seems to bug me is when 2 people are having a conversation at the track or simo center and one person is talking loud enough where you are forced to hear their thoughts and ideas on a race. I really don't want to hear your pick or theory on the race, i've found that a very high percentage of these people don't know that much and they'll say something that will get into my brain that i don't want there. No need to talk loudly, talk softly and carry a big stick, no one wants to know your pick.

Some loud mouth woman was at simulcasting during the WV Derby and she was talking out loud during the race saying that Big Drama was going to stop and be off the board, she kept talking and talking and i'm thinking "STFU i want to enjoy the race"

Greyfox
08-27-2009, 10:33 PM
I have a friend who knows i'm a good handicapper and he seems to always want to know my best bet of the day. Is it proper etiquette for him to ask for the pick and then not play it? Part of me feels like if you ask, you should play the pick.

"

What planet do you play horses at. People ask each other every day about what they are picking. Just because you or anyone else gives out a pick, doesn't mean that the person has to play it. That's all part of the social banter that takes place at a track. If you pick a winner, be thankful he didn't play it - with heat anyways.

Bison
08-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Yep, It's all part and parcel when you attend the track or simulcast.

firstoffclaim
08-27-2009, 10:51 PM
etiquette is for Ms Manners, not to be used in the same sentence with racetrack:D

Steven Kolb
08-27-2009, 10:53 PM
My favorite (?) is the guy in front of me who "spreads out" at the betting window and takes over three minutes to figure out a Superfecta ticket.

Where are the Wagering Police when you need them?

Track Collector
08-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Sharing one's picks is a personal choice that each and every one of us has to face sooner or later. Either share it without expectations (that they play the pick) or politely decline to share.

As to loud people at the track or OTW, choosing to speak with them politely will often not result in the desired outcome, so avoidance is the best option. When small quarters make moving away impossible or not practical, investing in an inexpensive pair of removable ear plugs is a good alternative.

Robert Goren
08-28-2009, 12:13 AM
I do wish for the return of WIN only windows. Windows whose machines could only handle WIN PLACE or SHOW bets! I hate being stuck behind someone trying check out his TRI and SUPRA bet to make sure the teller did not make an error.

riskman
08-28-2009, 01:50 AM
Most of the time I wager from home on line or on the phone. Once a week I visit a local Pub/Rest that has an OTB operation. The minute I walk in it starts with "who do you like" syndrome. In a way, I am flattered that some value my opinion but in no way do I ever give an opinion on "their" choice or suggest any form of ticket construction for a wager. It comes back to bite you in the ass if it does not work out.
Occasionally ,I partner up with with a few guys for some pick 4's and Supers. It makes it interesting and we have some fun watching the races, having a few beers and burgers. I look forward to going out as it breaks the week up and at times we actually make some money.

Hanover1
08-28-2009, 02:11 AM

This got me thinking about other etiquette stuff.

Another one that seems to bug me is when 2 people are having a conversation at the track or simo center and one person is talking loud enough where you are forced to hear their thoughts and ideas on a race. I really don't want to hear your pick or theory on the race, i've found that a very high percentage of these people don't know that much and they'll say something that will get into my brain that i don't want there. No need to talk loudly, talk softly and carry a big stick, no one wants to know your pick.

Some loud mouth woman was at simulcasting during the WV Derby and she was talking out loud during the race saying that Big Drama was going to stop and be off the board, she kept talking and talking and i'm thinking "STFU i want to enjoy the race"
If hes gonna fire, then give him different numbers, catch better odds on your picks, cash, and apologise for the bad advice. I bet to win, and maximize my return, its all fair game........he wont ask you twice.

Imriledup
08-28-2009, 03:20 AM
What planet do you play horses at. People ask each other every day about what they are picking. Just because you or anyone else gives out a pick, doesn't mean that the person has to play it. That's all part of the social banter that takes place at a track. If you pick a winner, be thankful he didn't play it - with heat anyways.

But the point i was trying to make is that i don't 'give out' the pick. If someone asks me for a pick and than doesn't play it, that just rubs me the wrong way. If you asked Michael Jordan how to shoot the basketball and he showed you and than you said "thank Mike, but i decided to do my own thing" do you think he would be at least irritated that you wasted his time?

illinoisbred
08-28-2009, 07:48 AM
My favorite racetrack antic and something often funny to watch is the guy standing in front of a tv monitor slapping his hand with a program while yelling out the jockeys name."come on Gomez,come on Gomez get into him"If the horse starts to hang he'll often start slapping his thigh. This is really funny when suddenly its no longer Gomez but say Talamo he's urging on.

QuarterCrack
08-28-2009, 08:39 AM
But the point i was trying to make is that i don't 'give out' the pick. If someone asks me for a pick and than doesn't play it, that just rubs me the wrong way. If you asked Michael Jordan how to shoot the basketball and he showed you and than you said "thank Mike, but i decided to do my own thing" do you think he would be at least irritated that you wasted his time?

Nice to know we are so blessed to have the Michael Jordan of handicapping in our presence. How anyone can bet anything other than what he says is just ludicrous!
;)

Greyfox
08-28-2009, 09:15 AM
If you asked Michael Jordan how to shoot the basketball and he showed you and than you said "thank Mike, but i decided to do my own thing" do you think he would be at least irritated that you wasted his time?

No. I don't think Michael Jordan would be irritated in the least. He knows that there are many paths up the Mountain. Nor would Tiger Woods be offended if I didn't follow his advice on how to hit a golf ball. He knows that everyone has a different physique.

With respect to your not giving your friend the true pick when he asks you, says something about you as a friend. (You're the one who said he was a friend remember.) Unless you're betting some Hicksville track his bet on your horses would likely not change the odds very much, if it all.

If you don't want to hear others opinions, computer betting is also an option.

GaryG
08-28-2009, 09:26 AM
I have a close friend who is an excellent player (better than even me...haha). He asks me who I like as a cross-check against his own picks to see if he missed something. Some of those discussions have been very productive and insightful for me and hopefully for him too.

Bison
08-28-2009, 10:58 AM
My favorite racetrack antic and something often funny to watch is the guy standing in front of a tv monitor slapping his hand with a program while yelling out the jockeys name."come on Gomez,come on Gomez get into him"If the horse starts to hang he'll often start slapping his thigh. This is really funny when suddenly its no longer Gomez but say Talamo he's urging on.

I think that's great when people do that. Certainly nothing wrong with it.
So the guy has a ticket alive to 2 horses, and one quits, he's not allowed to root for the other?

illinoisbred
08-28-2009, 11:10 AM
I think that's great when people do that. Certainly nothing wrong with it.
So the guy has a ticket alive to 2 horses, and one quits, he's not allowed to root for the other?
Yes, of course, I just find it amusing/fun to watch.

Hanover1
08-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Sharing one's picks is a personal choice that each and every one of us has to face sooner or later. Either share it without expectations (that they play the pick) or politely decline to share.

As to loud people at the track or OTW, choosing to speak with them politely will often not result in the desired outcome, so avoidance is the best option. When small quarters make moving away impossible or not practical, investing in an inexpensive pair of removable ear plugs is a good alternative.
Dude, I aint wearin earplugs to any racetrack.......oxymoron??

Hanover1
08-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Most folks, including myself, have trouble SPELLING etiquette while on the track. They used to ask me for my picks, and they usually tossed those, and cashed... :D

Imriledup
08-28-2009, 02:26 PM

That is good stuff! I remember one time recently a guy was going nuts rooting for a jock that wasn't on the horse and when someone standing behind him corrected him , he rooted for the corrected jock one time than went back to rooting for the jock who was originally listed in the form.
:jump:

Greyfox
08-28-2009, 03:18 PM
I consider cashing a large ticket within one minute to post in a small O.T.B. with one teller on to be very poor behavior. The teller has to sort out the money, count it, and then count it out to the winning bettor. In the meanwhile, several players get shut out.

QuarterCrack
08-28-2009, 03:24 PM
I consider cashing a large ticket within one minute to post in a small O.T.B. with one teller on to be very poor behavior. The teller has to sort out the money, count it, and then count it out to the winning bettor. In the meanwhile, several players get shut out.

Yeah that's a good one, too.

Also, the guys who cough and sneeze right onto the betting machines while they use them.

Imriledup
08-28-2009, 03:53 PM

That's bad stuff right there. The teller needs to tell the person to wait until the race is off. Tellers need to put their foot down on this stuff.

Java Gold@TFT
08-28-2009, 05:09 PM
That's bad stuff right there. The teller needs to tell the person to wait until the race is off. Tellers need to put their foot down on this stuff.
The only thing about that is that there are so many tracks being handled at one time. I was at a simulcast yesterday and was betting Monmouth and Calder early and then added La Downs and the Arlington Turf races. I didn't pay one bit of attention to Arlington's poly races as I won't bet them. Anyway if i was 4 MTP from Monmouth and wanted to cash a ticket and make another bet I wouldn't hesitate even if Arlington was 0 MTP. I'm not paying any attention to it so I don't feel I did anything wrong and the teller certainly didn't because she had been handling my bets for the last two hours. (BTW, Arlington's first was delayed interminably because the jocks wouldn't go out on the poly, but that's another thread. Still I wanted to bet the 2nd on the turf and had no idea when that would be run without any volume from the track.)

Imriledup
08-28-2009, 05:17 PM
The only thing about that is that there are so many tracks being handled at one time. I was at a simulcast yesterday and was betting Monmouth and Calder early and then added La Downs and the Arlington Turf races. I didn't pay one bit of attention to Arlington's poly races as I won't bet them. Anyway if i was 4 MTP from Monmouth and wanted to cash a ticket and make another bet I wouldn't hesitate even if Arlington was 0 MTP. I'm not paying any attention to it so I don't feel I did anything wrong and the teller certainly didn't because she had been handling my bets for the last two hours. (BTW, Arlington's first was delayed interminably because the jocks wouldn't go out on the poly, but that's another thread. Still I wanted to bet the 2nd on the turf and had no idea when that would be run without any volume from the track.)

I agree with you here. Fox stated that there was '1 mtp' so that might mean there was 1 mtp to the race that is the 'main signal' for that OTB. For example, if it was NYCOTB and there was 1 minute to saratoga, than you have to wait to cash. If it was 1 MTP to Calder and 21 MTP to saratoga, than its perfectly fine to cash the ticket at that very moment.

Bochall
08-28-2009, 05:35 PM
If hes gonna fire, then give him different numbers, catch better odds on your picks, cash, and apologise for the bad advice. I bet to win, and maximize my return, its all fair game........he wont ask you twice. Right on dude. Nothing will get 'em off your back like a couple of well placed losers for them. Well said.

BUD
08-28-2009, 05:56 PM
I Love to see Geat Players picks--Doesn't mean I am going just blindly play them
What I do--Is Study how they came to their conclusions. What was their line of reasoning--Its using the better player, not wasting his time but using him as a mentor.

Out of everything I have done--This simple process has helped my game like nothing else has.

Imriledup
08-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Right on dude. Nothing will get 'em off your back like a couple of well placed losers for them. Well said.

I like the guy enough as a friend to not want him to lose. I just dont want him picking and choosing which plays of mine he wants to make. He knows i only give him the very best plays, you shouldnt' be picking and choosing which ones you bet. He's more of a longshot type player, so if i give him a 2-1 shot who wins and pays 6 bucks, he's like "thats not enough" and he skips the bet. I guess its his fault for not taking the free money when its given to him.

JohnGalt1
08-28-2009, 08:06 PM
I get asked "Who do I like?" often.

But no one follows up with the equally important "Why do like my selection?"

boomman
08-28-2009, 08:19 PM
I often get asked who I like in a race and I try to help whenever I can. But what drives me up a wall is the guy who asks me and immediately uses that as an excuse to tell me who he likes in that same race. He was just asking me as an "icebreaker" so he could tout me..........Grrrrrrrrrr:D

Boomer

fmolf
08-28-2009, 10:24 PM
I often get asked who I like in a race and I try to help whenever I can. But what drives me up a wall is the guy who asks me and immediately uses that as an excuse to tell me who he likes in that same race. He was just asking me as an "icebreaker" so he could tout me..........Grrrrrrrrrr:D

Boomer
when this happens i usually get an extra boost of confidence in my own picks as his can usually be thrown out!......my racetrack buddies and i usuall always discuss our picks and why we like them or dislike horses this helps us all as handicappers...i am good with maiden races ...another friend is good with turf races ...still another with dirt sprints.I have learned a lot of valuable lessons from my friends during this friendly give and take before a race.

Greyfox
08-29-2009, 01:08 AM

Boomer

"I often get asked who I like in a race and I try to help whenever I can."

That is exactly the right attitude.

"But what drives me up a wall is the guy who asks me and immediately uses that as an excuse to tell me who he likes in that same race."

That is exactly the wrong attitude.

Keep an open mind, everything is "grist for the mill."

Hanover1
08-29-2009, 01:22 AM
"I often get asked who I like in a race and I try to help whenever I can."

That is exactly the right attitude.

"But what drives me up a wall is the guy who asks me and immediately uses that as an excuse to tell me who he likes in that same race."

That is exactly the wrong attitude.

Keep an open mind, everything is "grist for the mill."
This guy that gets "Driven up the wall" with a fan, claims to be a racing director.......See his posts on Animal Planet............ :lol:

boomman
08-29-2009, 01:59 AM
This guy that gets "Driven up the wall" with a fan, claims to be a racing director.......See his posts on Animal Planet............ :lol:

As the proof is posted there GENIUS..............LOL

Boomer

eastie
08-29-2009, 02:09 AM
Right on dude. Nothing will get 'em off your back like a couple of well placed losers for them. Well said.

so you're saying it's a good thing to give out stiffs on whom people bet their money and lose ? That attitude will take you a long way in life. The Gambling Gods don't like your type. Of course, the horses you bet are probably stiffs who couldn't outrun you, so i bet you don't get asked very often. :p

Horseplayersbet.com
08-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Etiquette: I find it very difficult to bet online using a mouse while keeping my left pinky pointed outwards. I'm way more comfortable betting with my pinky touching the mouse. I guess I'm just a commoner.

BUD
08-29-2009, 11:55 AM
sh1t i dont have a mouse. dammit!!

Its all Karma--My years have shown me 1 thing Karma.