PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Unemployment 28.9%

michiken
08-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Now wonder I can't find work!

Detroits Unemployment Hits 28.9% (http://freep.com/article/20090827/NEWS01/90827037/1319/Detroit-unemployment-rate-rises-to-record-28.9-)

Tom
08-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Didn't you guys get you stimulus money? :rolleyes:

ddog
08-27-2009, 05:27 PM
get out.

it's going to be somalia in 5 years.

how are your warlord skills??? :eek:

JustRalph
08-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Keep Electing those Democrats like Conyers!!!

http://www.fremontcountydemocrats.net/BuckingDonkeyAndRider.JPG

Keep riding that Donkey right into the ground!!!!!!!!!!

GaryG
08-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Whatever happened to that crooked mayor Kwame whatever....last I heard he was headed for prison. They would probably reelect him like they did Marion Berry in DC.

Tom
08-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Berry fulfilled his campaign promise - he got drugs off the streets~!:lol:

jballscalls
08-27-2009, 08:48 PM
It's tough in lots of places, but oddly enough, seems many of the hardest hit job loss areas are blue areas. I know portland is at 11 or 12 or something, and we won't let a republican inside the city limits.

Tom
08-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Fact - dem government is a failure everywhere.
You vote for dems, you lose.

NJ Stinks
08-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Fact - dem government is a failure everywhere.
You vote for dems, you lose.

Got a source there, Mr. Hannity? :D

Tom
08-27-2009, 10:13 PM
The real world.

cj's dad
08-27-2009, 10:25 PM
The UAW priced themselves out of the market !! As a union electrician for years, I found it very annoying that semi-skilled labor was earning more in pension and hourly wages than SKILLED labor i.e plumbers, carpenters, electricians, etc...

These guys and gals made top $$$ for installing windshields, wipers, bumpers,
headlamps, etc.... and were trained in 30-45 days at most.

SKILLED crafts typically serve a 4-5 year apprenticeship.

They - the UAW- are semi-skilled, at best, laborers working indoors and on an assembly line- what a joke.

Try working construction in the winter - summer - rain - snow - and missing days because of the aforementioned, and actually being accountable for job performance.

sandpit
08-27-2009, 10:29 PM
I read somewhere that Detroit's population has dropped approximately 50% since 1950. That's got to be tops for any large city in America. My spouse was there last year and said the place was like little Baghdad. Last time I was there was in the late 80s, and I had a good visit that lasted about a week.

ddog
08-27-2009, 11:53 PM
It's tough in lots of places, but oddly enough, seems many of the hardest hit job loss areas are blue areas. I know portland is at 11 or 12 or something, and we won't let a republican inside the city limits.

it's not odd , overlay the job loss by industry , you will see clearly that the fire type stuff along with construction(populated areas) that took the big hits in this go round are co-lowed in the bluer states.

which came first and all that .........

ddog
08-27-2009, 11:55 PM
The UAW priced themselves out of the market !! As a union electrician for years, I found it very annoying that semi-skilled labor was earning more in pension and hourly wages than SKILLED labor i.e plumbers, carpenters, electricians, etc...

These guys and gals made top $$$ for installing windshields, wipers, bumpers,
headlamps, etc.... and were trained in 30-45 days at most.

SKILLED crafts typically serve a 4-5 year apprenticeship.

They - the UAW- are semi-skilled, at best, laborers working indoors and on an assembly line- what a joke.

Try working construction in the winter - summer - rain - snow - and missing days because of the aforementioned, and actually being accountable for job performance.

you really do begrudge anyone else getting something , eh?
to some you would be semi-skilled!!!!!!!! :(

GameTheory
08-28-2009, 12:07 AM
I read somewhere that Detroit's population has dropped approximately 50% since 1950. That's got to be tops for any large city in America. My spouse was there last year and said the place was like little Baghdad. Last time I was there was in the late 80s, and I had a good visit that lasted about a week.At least. There are entire neighborhoods with maybe one occupied house. You can buy a house there in an abandoned neighborhood for $100 -- seriously. Some developers are actually buying up blocks & blocks for nothing right now for future revitalization -- they will be razing whole areas. That's near downtown. I grew up in Rosedale Park, which is actually quite decent. Very nice houses. New mayor Dave Bing is an honorable guy -- the first they've had in decades. The city council, however, is populated with psychopaths. The Oakland county suburbs, Bloomfield Hills, etc just a few miles away is still one of the richest areas in the country...

ddog
08-28-2009, 12:13 AM
"The city council, however, is populated with psychopaths. The Oakland county suburbs, Bloomfield Hills, etc just a few miles away is still one of the richest areas in the country..."

The country is on a crash course to that type of layout.

Will be tough to sustain a viable republic in that mode.

All that old money, didn't do the city any good did it?

I was there 20-30 years ago and Bloomfield Hills was fat then just as now.

Shows that a pocket of wealth doesn't really trickle down much.

Jobs are not coming back there. No reason to. None.

Warren Henry
08-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Hey, I am all for anyone getting what the market will bear. However, one has to be prepared for the time when someone else will deliver the same product for less. Or for the time when no one wants your product any more.

I was a computer programmer in the days when we made big bucks. We cloaked what we did with smoke and mirrors. No one understood how we worked our magic. To say that we were arrogant would be a huge understatement. But after a while, folks figured out that it wasn't all that hard to do what we did. Now, what I got paid big bucks to do can be done by a teenager in India for peanuts. Should I be resentful? Do I rate a bailout? Nah, I should just be happy that I got some when I could.

When you can't find work doing what you used to do, you have to figure out what it is that people are willing to pay for now.

ddog
08-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Hey, I am all for anyone getting what the market will bear. However, one has to be prepared for the time when someone else will deliver the same product for less. Or for the time when no one wants your product any more.

I was a computer programmer in the days when we made big bucks. We cloaked what we did with smoke and mirrors. No one understood how we worked our magic. To say that we were arrogant would be a huge understatement. But after a while, folks figured out that it wasn't all that hard to do what we did. Now, what I got paid big bucks to do can be done by a teenager in India for peanuts. Should I be resentful? Do I rate a bailout? Nah, I should just be happy that I got some when I could.

When you can't find work doing what you used to do, you have to figure out what it is that people are willing to pay for now.

I agree, when people want to extol a conservative viewpoint BUT rail against someone else THEY view as a lessor getting what the market will pay, it seems a little strange to me.

Agreed also that if you kill the golden goose you have to move on.

The unions(uaw) were not setting those pay scales in a vacuum.
It's mgmt roll to set the course for the company. That's why those highly skilled people got the big bucks, right?

gm was as much mgmt stubborn refusal to accept the BK option for years and years as anything else.

Lots of people got rich off gm over the years, much more so than the UAW.

I have never been and would NEVER be on principle a union member, but facts are facts.

GameTheory
08-28-2009, 12:24 AM
"The city council, however, is populated with psychopaths. The Oakland county suburbs, Bloomfield Hills, etc just a few miles away is still one of the richest areas in the country..."

The country is on a crash course to that type of layout.

Will be tough to sustain a viable republic in that mode.

All that old money, didn't do the city any good did it?

I was there 20-30 years ago and Bloomfield Hills was fat then just as now.

Shows that a pocket of wealth doesn't really trickle down much.

Jobs are not coming back there. No reason to. None.Those psychopaths and former non-honorable mayors won't let the city succeed. Much of what has happened was their own doing. The current council is a disgrace.

Read this:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090301/OPINION03/903010308/1008/OPINION01

Warren Henry
08-28-2009, 12:37 AM
I agree, when people want to extol a conservative viewpoint BUT rail against someone else THEY view as a lessor getting what the market will pay, it seems a little strange to me.

Agreed also that if you kill the golden goose you have to move on.

The unions(uaw) were not setting those pay scales in a vacuum.
It's mgmt roll to set the course for the company. That's why those highly skilled people got the big bucks, right?

gm was as much mgmt stubborn refusal to accept the BK option for years and years as anything else.

Lots of people got rich off gm over the years, much more so than the UAW.

I have never been and would NEVER be on principle a union member, but facts are facts.
Both sides had a hand in this. Union leadership made outrageous demands and threatened to shut the operation down if their demands weren't met. Company ownership/management couldn't stand the idea of a shutdown because the money was coming in so fast, so they caved. Neither union leadership or company leadership probably had long term welfare of the employees or stockholders in mind - only their own self interests (there I go being cynical again). Plenty of blame to go around.

We would all be better off in the long run if GM had been allowed to die.

JustRalph
08-28-2009, 01:38 AM
Whatever happened to that crooked mayor Kwame whatever....last I heard he was headed for prison. They would probably reelect him like they did Marion Berry in DC.

he is living in a million dollar house in a suburb of Dallas........he is living off the funds he mysteriously put away during his term as mayor..........

cj's dad
08-28-2009, 08:23 AM

Merely trying to point out why the big 3 have a problem.
And yes I realize that all labor agreements are 2 party deals.

Finally, carrying a master's license in my hip pocket hardly makes me semi-skilled.

Tom
08-28-2009, 08:51 AM
How dumb are UAW members?

They are paying the UAW to represent them with the UAW! ( GM and Chrysler!)

:lol::lol::lol:

michiken
08-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Last week I made it thru 3 phone interviews with a company in Houston. The first 2 interviews went well.

During the 3rd interview with the owner of the company, he asked what year I graduated college. When I responded 1984, the conversation came to a crawl.

It was really depressing to have a glimmer of hope to get the hell out of this city only to be smacked down by obvious age discrimination!

sandpit
08-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Last week I made it thru 3 phone interviews with a company in Houston. The first 2 interviews went well.

During the 3rd interview with the owner of the company, he asked what year I graduated college. When I responded 1984, the conversation came to a crawl.

It was really depressing to have a glimmer of hope to get the hell out of this city only to be smacked down by obvious age discrimination!

Hang in there, Michiken. I know it's tough; I'm going thru the same thing now; been at it since early June.

There are jobs out there, even good ones. So much of it is a matter of luck and timing.