PDA

View Full Version : Is British Horse Racing in Trouble?

andymays
08-27-2009, 02:04 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racing/article-1209269/Its-flat-soulless--Marcus-Townend-state-British-horse-racing.html

Horse-racing in Britain is flat, soulless...and may be destined to become an irrelevance

Excerpt:

If horseracing in Britain is not quite in terminal decline, there are enough signs to suggest that it has been sleepwalking to an assisted suicide. It's flat, soulless and haemorrhaging support.

Simply digest these figures. In the last 15 years, racing's share of betting shop turnover has fallen from 75 per cent to 37 per cent. That rate of decline, a steady drop of four per cent over each of the past five years, has fallen to over 10 per cent in 2009.

The worrying numbers were recently revealed by Nick Rust, managing director of Coral. With crowd figures and sponsorship - albeit in difficult economic times - also down, it begs the question: Is racing destined to become an irrelevance?

gm10
08-27-2009, 03:12 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racing/article-1209269/Its-flat-soulless--Marcus-Townend-state-British-horse-racing.html

Horse-racing in Britain is flat, soulless...and may be destined to become an irrelevance

Excerpt:

If horseracing in Britain is not quite in terminal decline, there are enough signs to suggest that it has been sleepwalking to an assisted suicide. It's flat, soulless and haemorrhaging support.

Simply digest these figures. In the last 15 years, racing's share of betting shop turnover has fallen from 75 per cent to 37 per cent. That rate of decline, a steady drop of four per cent over each of the past five years, has fallen to over 10 per cent in 2009.

The worrying numbers were recently revealed by Nick Rust, managing director of Coral. With crowd figures and sponsorship - albeit in difficult economic times - also down, it begs the question: Is racing destined to become an irrelevance?

If anything is decline, it is the level of reporting in Britain. The journalist's main numerical argument is completely flawed and irrelevant. All the horse race betting has gone to Betfair in the last 10 years (the metnioned "betting shops" exclude betting exchanges such as BEtfair). I am honestly shocked that the betting shops are still attracting this amount of racing money.
Plus, the share of football betting has massively increased in the last 10 years, which would automatcally make racing's share smaller.

(The Daily MAil is a cheap tabloid for those unfamiliar with it).

Greyfox
08-27-2009, 03:15 PM
The last time I was in Britain, I wondered how anyone bet on anything.
I went into a William Hills betting shop, the crowd of old timers in there didn't seem to have racing forms - just lists of names and odds.
The good news was the races from different tracks were timed 10 minutes apart and seemed to run on schedule.
But how anyone could make money betting in that O.T.B. shop, I have no idea.
The information that they were using to handicap seemed very limited.
Maybe someone on this board could enlighten me how those blokes manage.

robert99
08-27-2009, 06:55 PM
The last time I was in Britain, I wondered how anyone bet on anything.
I went into a William Hills betting shop, the crowd of old timers in there didn't seem to have racing forms - just lists of names and odds.
The good news was the races from different tracks were timed 10 minutes apart and seemed to run on schedule.
But how anyone could make money betting in that O.T.B. shop, I have no idea.
The information that they were using to handicap seemed very limited.
Maybe someone on this board could enlighten me how those blokes manage.

The full race form is posted on the walls and is from Racing Post.
Not many bother with that though and follow "fancies" and newspaper picks or favourites.
99.3% lose at betting even with zero tax - same percentage most countries I bet in.
Does not matter if they have a bookload of data or none.

The big amounts of money has gone into Fixed Odds Betting Terminals which show cartoon racing. They think they have a better chance as the races aren't fixed.

robert99
08-27-2009, 07:14 PM

Excerpt:

The Daily Mail is not a paper that prints reliable information, nor has it a clue about horseracing.

In the last 15 years, cartoon racing terminals have been made legal in shops, total betting turnover has rocketed when the tax was removed and horseracing betting has actually increased in money terms but its percentage take has reduced due to cartoon racing and simpler sports which attract young people with cash to waste. (If only journalists would ask about actual figures rather than percentages.). As has been pointed out, Betfair have taken a large share of big money betting and also have in-running betting. Betting shops refuse to take bets from winning punters. Crowds had increased greatly until the recession and obviously sponsorships and corporate entertainment has dropped. Some meetings have been packed out this year and the evening meetings with bands are a great attraction. Number of races and prizemoney are at their highest ever. There are now 2 full time racing tv channels. A lot has changed in 15 years and the recession, which looks like ending this Autumn, is the main check on racing progress.

So all in all a Daily Mail report that again is total garbage.

andymays
08-27-2009, 07:17 PM
The Daily Mail is not a paper that prints reliable information, nor has it a clue about horseracing.

In the last 15 years, cartoon racing terminals have been made legal in shops, total betting turnover has rocketed when the tax was removed and horseracing betting has actually increased in money terms but its percentage take has reduced due to cartoon racing and simpler sports which attract young people with cash to waste. (If only journalists would ask about actual figures rather than percentages.). As has been pointed out, Betfair have taken a large share of big money betting and also have in-running betting. Betting shops refuse to take bets from winning punters. Crowds had increased greatly until the recession and obviously sponsorships and corporate entertainment has dropped. Some meetings have been packed out this year and the evening meetings with bands are a great attraction. Number of races and prizemoney are at their highest ever. There are now 2 full time racing tv channels. A lot has changed in 15 years and the recession, which looks like ending this Autumn, is the main check on racing progress.

So all in all a Daily Mail report that again is total garbage.

I'll take your word for it!

BUD
08-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Some Savy will use the exchanges? WTF that is--What I find unreal is they can past post-They can if they are fast wager on the Photo Finishes--OK I am no expert my Knowlege is that--I do wish this country would lighten up and let us wager on Photo finishes-sports-Presidential elections---Lighten up shake the Puritan spirit some and have some fun.

IE, I betcha Regis goes Tie less Friday.---ooooooThats evil from the depths of hades---Give me 2 brakes!!