PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice Michael Straight may be paralyzed

andymays
08-27-2009, 01:58 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/106720.html
Excerpt:

Straight, 24, was injured in the 1 1/16-mile Polytrack race when his mount, Im No Gentleman, fell suddenly when appearing to clip the heels of Conte Ridge nearing the quarter pole. Im No Gentleman, a 3-year-old gelding bred and owned by Jay Collier and trained by Clayton Pierce, was racing near the back of the pack of the $10,000 maidens when the spill occurred. Im No Gentleman died as a result of the accident. There were no other horses or jockeys seriously injured.

Excerpt:

The spill was the second at the Arlington meet that resulted in severe injury. Rene Douglas suffered a major spinal injury in a May 23 race and continues to recuperate in the Chicago area.

Let's hope he pulls out of it!

illinoisbred
08-27-2009, 02:37 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/106720.html
Excerpt:

Straight, 24, was injured in the 1 1/16-mile Polytrack race when his mount, Im No Gentleman, fell suddenly when appearing to clip the heels of Conte Ridge nearing the quarter pole. Im No Gentleman, a 3-year-old gelding bred and owned by Jay Collier and trained by Clayton Pierce, was racing near the back of the pack of the $10,000 maidens when the spill occurred. Im No Gentleman died as a result of the accident. There were no other horses or jockeys seriously injured.

Excerpt:

The spill was the second at the Arlington meet that resulted in severe injury. Rene Douglas suffered a major spinal injury in a May 23 race and continues to recuperate in the Chicago area.

Let's hope he pulls out of it!
It looked really bad.

illinoisbred
08-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Just announced that he's to undergo surgery shortly. The operation will take approx. 4 hrs..Arlington's website will have an update tommorrow morning.Michael Straight is a recent graduate of Chris McCarron's jockey school.

Marshall Bennett
08-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Hope He'll be okay . I'll be praying .

andymays
08-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Concerned with safety, jockeys delay racing at Arlington

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=317039

Excerpt:

The start of racing at Arlington Park was delayed Thursday when some jockeys, apparently concerned over their safety and unwilling to ride on the track's synthetic surface, refused to get on their mounts.

illinoisbred
08-27-2009, 05:09 PM
I don't believe the surface caused this spill,but something from that article bothered me.For trainer Frank Kirby to state that the polytrack is a learning experience seems odd.The learning experience period really ought to be over with before you start risking horse and human life.Do you mean to tell me this product is sold with no educational/instructional maintenance program.If so these tracks were really sold a bill of goods!

ddog
08-27-2009, 05:13 PM
I didn't see the spill, but if his mount clipped heels on a horse in front of him, then I hope he is ok, but the jockey has this as his primary duty.

A horse won't see this coming.

I would expect/hope Kirby was talking along the lines of learning to ride the surface.

It has to be different than dirt to some extent as it does condone closer order it seems.

Jockeys handle the closer order on turf though.

illinoisbred
08-27-2009, 05:24 PM
I didn't see the spill, but if his mount clipped heels on a horse in front of him, then I hope he is ok, but the jockey has this as his primary duty.

A horse won't see this coming.

I would expect/hope Kirby was talking along the lines of learning to ride the surface.

It has to be different than dirt to some extent as it does condone closer order it seems.

Jockeys handle the closer order on turf though.
How true.The bunching up approaching the last 1/4 mile often looks pretty scary.These were the cheapest of the cheap in this race but according to my pace/speed figures the race wasn't falling apart yet,like one would suspect.the field did "bunch" rapidly in this race.I now wonder how many jocks are riding scared on this surface.

JeremyJet
08-27-2009, 05:27 PM
I don't believe the surface caused this spill,but something from that article bothered me.For trainer Frank Kirby to state that the polytrack is a learning experience seems odd.The learning experience period really ought to be over with before you start risking horse and human life.Do you mean to tell me this product is sold with no educational/instructional maintenance program.If so these tracks were really sold a bill of goods!

A few years ago, when Santa Anita was having all the problems, a California trainer asked if they were all like guinea pigs testing this new surface, IanPearse said yes.

Regards,

JeremyJet

illinoisbred
08-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Andy Mays don't lose heart,keep your crusade going.We are all entitled to the real/true answers to this synthetic issue.Sooner or latter the smoke and mirror tactics must end.Racetracks owe that to all owners,trainers,horses,jockeys,and bettors.

ddog
08-27-2009, 05:42 PM
How true.The bunching up approaching the last 1/4 mile often looks pretty scary.These were the cheapest of the cheap in this race but according to my pace/speed figures the race wasn't falling apart yet,like one would suspect.the field did "bunch" rapidly in this race.I now wonder how many jocks are riding scared on this surface.

I MUST admit, I would be pulling back if not in front.

I don't envy them , not one bit.

To show everyday to work after seeing this, I couldn't do it for what the majority of them make or any financial reward.

andymays
08-27-2009, 05:42 PM
A few years ago, when Santa Anita was having all the problems, a California trainer asked if they were all like guinea pigs testing this new surface, IanPearse said yes.

Regards,

JeremyJet

This is the article you were talking about Jeremy!

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/48696/socal-trainers-knock-pro-ride-surface

Excerpt:

At one point during the meeting Vienna stated that the horsemen were like "guinea pigs" and Pearse agreed with him.

andymays
08-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Andy Mays don't lose heart,keep your crusade going.We are all entitled to the real/true answers to this synthetic issue.Sooner or latter the smoke and mirror tactics must end.Racetracks owe that to all owners,trainers,horses,jockeys,and bettors.

It's unfortunate that these things are happening. They could happen on any surface.

Right now we all should pray for this kid and hope he comes out of it ok.

ddog
08-27-2009, 05:49 PM
agree 100%.
:ThmbUp:

24 years young , still just a baby really.

:(

illinoisbred
08-27-2009, 05:50 PM
agree 100%.

24 years young , still just a baby really.

:(

:ThmbUp:
Agree too.

nijinski
08-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Hopes, Thoughts and Prayers for him and his family.

rrbauer
08-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Michael did some very nice riding at Tampa last winter. Hope he comes through his surgery and we see him back at Tampa this year.

pktruckdriver
08-27-2009, 08:03 PM
More Prayers for him and his fellow Jockeys, they all need our Prayers, ALWAYS

Patrick

Valuist
08-27-2009, 08:05 PM

Great point about the "bunching up" of fields which many of us find so annoying. We do see this often in grass races, but grass races usually have minimum levels of competition. The lowest level of horses are not usually allowed to race on grass; if nothing else, to preserve the course.. Better horses are more athletic, and maybe less prone to incidents like this.

Will the Chicago Tribune react? In 2006 they went on a smear campaign against Arlington after a larger number of breakdowns had occurred. While there may have been more horse deaths we definitely never saw injuries like whats happened to Douglas and Straight at the meet.

I wrote a letter to Arlington management about a month ago asking when they would get rid of the surface. No response. Hopefully they will feel the heat and tear out this awful plastic surface and put in real dirt.

illinoisbred
08-27-2009, 08:40 PM
I've always had the impression that Arlington feels they have bestowed something wonderful to racing by installing Polytrack.They sincerely believe they have provided the safest, fairest,most uniform surface.Yes,there were alot of breakdowns the year prior to Polytrack,many with outfits that severely overrace their stock.By the time midsummer rolls around the wear and tear of pounding race after race into these horses begins to show up on the track.To avoid carnage on Polytrack,the racing secretary is letting cards go with short field after short field.In the past on dirt, they hounded trainers to enter,in fact if your starts per stall was low in their estimation you were granted fewer stalls next year.

Valuist
08-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Its funny how after the first year of that crap, Arlington loved to trot out stats about their average payoffs being high. They were high, of course, because there were so many random results due to the large number of runners that had no previous experience over Plasti-Track. Now, many have the experience and the payoffs have fallen. Apparently field sizes have. I say "apparently" because I no longer watch and wager on Arlington. I'll bet the big grass stakes there but thats it. IMO, their surface is the most random, unpredictable of all.

Tom
08-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Prayers to him and his family. Terrible thing to happen.

But, how does polytrack cause a horse to clip heels?

illinoisbred
08-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Prayers to him and his family. Terrible thing to happen.

But, how does polytrack cause a horse to clip heels?
In an earlier post I stated that I didn't think the track played any role in this spill.

Grits
08-27-2009, 09:22 PM
To be this young man--is heartbreaking.

To be his mother--seeing and knowing what her child faces--is agony.

She'll be by his side, day and night. God will be with them.:(

Imriledup
08-27-2009, 10:02 PM
In an earlier post I stated that I didn't think the track played any role in this spill.

Horses on Poly can and do race in tighter quarters. With the Rene Douglas incident there were like 7 horses within a length of each other....that doesn't happen on dirt because of the spray and other factors.

Also, Closers do well on Poly, esp at arlington, so jocks are forced to keep under a hold for very long and let the horse loose in the stretch. Jocks ride Poly like its a mile and a half turf race.

Maybe the track didn't play a role in this particular spill, but there will be more spills in the future with horses racing in very close quarters like they do on Poly.

Tom
08-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Does that hold for turf, then, as well?

Valuist
08-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Does that hold for turf, then, as well?

Yes it does but most tracks have restrictions on what class levels can run on grass. I believe the bottom at AP its 16K for open claimers (at least it used to be). THey use to not allow or severely restrict NW2 or NW3 claimers; maybe 32K or more. Better horses tend to be more athletic, and one would think more adept at handling tight quarters. But on Poly races, there's no minimum level. And some jockeys with little talent or grass riding experience find themselves racing in tighter quarters than what they are accustomed to. I have no stats to back this up but I strongly suspect it is true.

pandy
08-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Let's hope he makes a full recovery. I'm amazed that more horses don't clip heels. At Saratoga this meet I've seen many horses in a tight bunch, especially on the inner turf, you wonder how they don't clip heels.

Valuist
08-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Let's hope he makes a full recovery. I'm amazed that more horses don't clip heels. At Saratoga this meet I've seen many horses in a tight bunch, especially on the inner turf, you wonder how they don't clip heels.

I would bet that if those were Penn National runners and not Spa runners, you would be seeing more clipped heels.

ddog
08-27-2009, 11:38 PM
If they have a turf course , they run maidens on it and lots of those horses are less talented , thus being tried on turf since the chance to make money is much less on turf for the normal horse.

Poly and some dirt tracks promote closers and you get spills.

I have seen dozens on dirt as well.

Robert Goren
08-28-2009, 12:02 AM
I hope those you who are knocking poly tracks are doing so out safety reasons and not because you have trouble picking a winner on it. I am not a pace only handicapper but rely on class mostly. I love Keeneland. I am currently bet dirt tracks Del and Mth. I can pick a loser on any surface. It is my opinion that the reason we see so many really short priced favorites is all the programs out there that do such a good job of reading the pace. IMHO

ddog
08-28-2009, 12:27 AM
I hope those you who are knocking poly tracks are doing so out safety reasons and not because you have trouble picking a winner on it. I am not a pace only handicapper but rely on class mostly. I love Keeneland. I am currently bet dirt tracks Del and Mth. I can pick a loser on any surface. It is my opinion that the reason we see so many really short priced favorites is all the programs out there that do such a good job of reading the pace. IMHO

i love plastic, except i won't play TOC tracks out of loathing for that organization.

otherwise, plastic RULES.

WinterTriangle
08-28-2009, 03:31 AM
Young man will be in my prayers. An apprentice jockey, barely starting his life. I also pray that if he can't ride again he will be given a new path that will be uplifting and fulfilling to his potential, and that he finds his way without too much anguish.

illinoisbred
08-28-2009, 07:33 AM
From a wagering standpoint,I'm having one of my best meets in years at AP.I just feel there are too many unanswered questions regarding these surfaces.They are not living up to all the hype put out by tracks and product manufacturers.

DanG
08-28-2009, 08:26 AM
If this poor soul’s tragedy was only mentioned as a jumping off point for yet another thread on track surface…that is a sad commentary imo.

I haven’t researched it; but I find it curious barely a word was typed when Arlington had their horrendous run of equine fatalities / human injuries that preceded the surface switch.

Regardless of your position on track surface; there is a positive from all this. There is significantly more focus on track condition, safety etc…but I will always wonder why it took something new to bring out the passion that could have been there before a “3rd” surface fueled the controversy.

illinoisbred
08-28-2009, 09:00 AM
If this poor soul’s tragedy was only mentioned as a jumping off point for yet another thread on track surface…that is a sad commentary imo.

I haven’t researched it; but I find it curious barely a word was typed when Arlington had their horrendous run of equine fatalities / human injuries that preceded the surface switch.

Regardless of your position on track surface; there is a positive from all this. There is significantly more focus on track condition, safety etc…but I will always wonder why it took something new to bring out the passion that could have been there before a “3rd” surface fueled the controversy.
The breakdowns at AP was BIG news here locally prior to the installation of Polytrack.Thats why it was installed;to smooth over the growing public perception that AP conducted racing that was hazardous to the safety of man and equine. The concern was great that some stables would not return and attendance would shrink more yet.If one is familiar with AP racing prior to Polytrack interesting patterns emerge with the dirt breakdowns.The preponderance of breakdowns were with outfits that overrace their stock.By and large with trainers known to have more than their share of "cripples".While tragic, this "perfect storm" could have happened any year or on any surface.

DanG
08-28-2009, 10:22 AM
The breakdowns at AP was BIG news here locally prior to the installation of Polytrack.Thats why it was installed;to smooth over the growing public perception that AP conducted racing that was hazardous to the safety of man and equine.
You’re absolutely right; in fact my daughter brought it up over breakfast and at the time I’ll bet she didn’t know where Arlington Park was. Locally it was a major story, just as the incredible rash of breakdowns was in California around the same time. I was just wondering aloud where all this well intended energy that synth’s now receive was when our sport was getting the national press of a child molester.

Marshall Bennett
08-28-2009, 10:35 AM
As for this unfortunate accident , how does clipping heels have anything to do with the racing surface ? Am I missing something ?

illinoisbred
08-28-2009, 10:43 AM
You’re absolutely right; in fact my daughter brought it up over breakfast and at the time I’ll bet she didn’t know where Arlington Park was. Locally it was a major story, just as the incredible rash of breakdowns was in California around the same time. I was just wondering aloud where all this well intended energy that synth’s now receive was when our sport was getting the national press of a child molester.
Good Question.I know I'm guilty of saying nothing back then, but who wants to publically say to paraphrase J. Breslin,"they race lame horses don't they?"

andymays
08-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Good Question.I know I'm guilty of saying nothing back then, but who wants to publically say to paraphrase J. Breslin,"they race lame horses don't they?"

The truth is that the safest thing is to not race at all!

illinoisbred
08-28-2009, 11:07 AM
The truth is that the safest thing is to not race at all!
All these discussions beg a different question to me.What about the idea of scrapping racing as we have it today. Create a much more national circuit with just say Gulfstream and Santa Anita running in the winter,Keeneland and Belmont in the spring,Saratoga and Arlington in the summer,Keeneland, Belmont, Oak Tree/Santa Anita in the fall, all to culminate in the Breeders Cup, then take the rest of the year off.I really think this would generate much more interest in racing.It would surely improve the quality of the product.Racing Would prabably be more in the hands of the "bluebloods",but would that really be so bad?They seem to nuture their stock so much better than most day-to-day outfits. I think we would have unparalleled racing,with the very best equine athletes available.After all, not all thoroughbreds are meant to be racers just like not all humans are meant to be heart surgeons.This has always been kind of a thought of mine,I know it'll never fly.

illinoisbred
08-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Forgot to insert Churchill Downs for a shorter spring meet,Pimlico for a short boutique meet to encompass the Preakness.

castaway01
08-28-2009, 11:19 AM
All these discussions beg a different question to me.What about the idea of scrapping racing as we have it today. Create a much more national circuit with just say Gulfstream and Santa Anita running in the winter,Keeneland and Belmont in the spring,Saratoga and Arlington in the summer,Keeneland, Belmont, Oak Tree/Santa Anita in the fall, all to culminate in the Breeders Cup, then take the rest of the year off.I really think this would generate much more interest in racing.It would surely improve the quality of the product.Racing Would prabably be more in the hands of the "bluebloods",but would that really be so bad?They seem to nuture their stock so much better than most day-to-day outfits. I think we would have unparalleled racing,with the very best equine athletes available.After all, not all thoroughbreds are meant to be racers just like not all humans are meant to be heart surgeons.This has always been kind of a thought of mine,I know it'll never fly.

So if someone came up with an idea for whatever field you work in that eliminated 90% of the jobs, including yours, you'd approve of it?

Let's focus on this poor kid and hope he makes it through without being paralyzed and leave the ludicrous ideas out of it.

illinoisbred
08-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Again forgot to add, everything else can go quarter horse, mule, donkey,or whatever else will leave a starting gate and run.These facilities can find other uses too.Rock concerts, trade shows,craft fairs,etc..I remember when the Pope came to Aqueduct,wasn't so bad.

illinoisbred
08-28-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm sorry I probably should have started a new threadI only follow Illinois racing and Ive heard interviews with this young man, very genuine ,very sincere.I ,of course along with every one else pray for the best.

illinoisbred
08-28-2009, 12:20 PM
The early report available on AP's wesite says everything went well-guarded,but optimistic .

andymays
08-28-2009, 01:49 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/106757.html

Excerpt:

Apprentice Michael Straight underwent what his twin brother and fellow rider termed "successful" surgery Thursday evening, some 24 hours after being critically injured in a one-horse spill at Arlington Park in Arlington Heights, Ill.
Matthew Straight, speaking on behalf of his family, issued a media release Friday morning that said surgeons at Luther General Hospital in Park Ridge, Ill., had operated on his brother to attempt to stabilize his spinal injuries, which include four fractured vertebrae. Fear persists that Michael Straight, 23, might be paralyzed from the waist down, but his brother made no mention of the long-term implications of the injuries.

"The doctors said it could not have gone any better," Matthew Straight said in the release. "We know there is still a long way to go, and now it's just a waiting game to see how good and how quick he heals up. We know it's going to be a long road back and we're not going anywhere."

Pell Mell
08-28-2009, 02:38 PM
I don't get it. Doesn't the Bloodhorse article say the horse died of a heart attack?

Why all the talk about the racing in close quarters when it doesn't sound like that in the article.:confused:

Tom Barrister
08-28-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't get it. Doesn't the Bloodhorse article say the horse died of a heart attack?

Why all the talk about the racing in close quarters when it doesn't sound like that in the article.:confused:

(NOTE: the following is my view, based on what I've seen when watching races. It may or may not be correct or the way things are.)

As I see it (others may see it differently), the cheap speed seems to quit on the early and middle parts of the far turn on the synthetics, whereas on dirt, it seems to quit more towards the end of the far turn and the upper stretch, these being at tracks of a 1 and 1 1/8 miles (which I believe is the distance for most North American tracks using synthetics).

If that's true, it creates a bigger traffic problem. Generally, horses are starting to fan out at the end of the far turn (as they enter the stretch), so there's more room for horses who are making a move to get around horses who are stopping in front of them. When it happens on the turn, there's often not as much room to manuever, and a sudden backup of a horse may trap the horse directly behind and can cause a potentially dangerous situation. Also, the fact that the horses are still fighting centrifugal force can make the situation more dangerous.

Of course, cheap speed will backup on the upper/middle turn on dirt, too, but it seems to start sooner and/or happen more often on synthetics. With more of it happening in a more potentially dangerous situation, it's logical to assume that more accients and problems will occur.

That's my view of it, right or wrong, and since I don't closely follow the synthetic-vs-dirt debates, it may have been covered already. I doubt I'm the first or only person to think of it.

kenwoodallpromos
08-29-2009, 06:43 PM
John Velasquez of the Jockey Guild announced that all Travers jockeys volunteered 10% of their share of that race would go to the McBeth Disabled Jockey Fund on behalf of Straight! Great news!
I'm glad an offshoot of the idea I emailed him in the past for all graded stakes winning jockeys to donate 10% to disabled jockeys is being put into action!

andymays
08-29-2009, 06:47 PM
John Velasquez of the Jockey Guild announced that all Travers jockeys volunteered 10% of their share of that race would go to the McBeth Disabled Jockey Fund on behalf of Straight! Great news!
I'm glad an offshoot of the idea I emailed him in the past for all graded stakes winning jockeys to donate 10% to disabled jockeys is being put into action!

Good for them. Classy thing to do!

Pace Cap'n
08-30-2009, 12:13 AM
John Velasquez of the Jockey Guild announced that all Travers jockeys volunteered 10% of their share of that race would go to the McBeth Disabled Jockey Fund on behalf of Straight! Great news! I'm glad an offshoot of the idea I emailed him in the past for all graded stakes winning jockeys to donate 10% to disabled jockeys is being put into action!

The jockeys were:

Borel, Desormeaux, Dominguez, Garcia, Leparoux, Prado, and Velazquez.

knine
08-30-2009, 07:54 AM
im guilty of cursing a rider on a bad ride,,when things like this happen i feel like !@#$ these guys risk there lives for us everyday..My prayers go out to him and his family.

kenwoodallpromos
08-30-2009, 11:59 AM
im guilty of cursing a rider on a bad ride,,when things like this happen i feel like !@#$ these guys risk there lives for us everyday..My prayers go out to him and his family.
I saw the view a jockey sees through a helmet cam 1 time and gave me a whole new perspective! (Excuse the pun!)