Tom
08-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Check out the outside driver at :21 and 1:08.....:lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Qy4g6sy_Y&feature=related

showbet
08-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Ron Pierce.

http://www.oddsonracing.com/docs/RonPierceJan05_2.cfm

After winning the first heat of the Kentucky Filly Futurity on Oct. 6 for her 11th consecutive win, Passionate Glide was upset by Queen Serene in the second heat, forcing a raceoff.

Sitting chilly behind Queen Serene for most of the mile, Pierce tipped Passionate Glide at the top of the stretch at Lexington’s Red Mile and trotted away in the lane. But as he blew past his opponent, Pierce waved bye-bye to Trond Smedshammer which drew a roar from the crowd and a rebuke from the stewards.

“If I knew this was going to cause as much talk as it has I probably would not have done it,” Pierce said. “It was not planned at all. I was just trying to have some fun. My filly was racing good and I thought it would be fun to wave bye-bye.”

And of the reaction to it, Pierce said, “It seems like a few people including the stewards didn’t like it, but thousands of other people around the country actually did like it.”

Only one thing has Pierce worried about the aftermath of the wave. “Trond and I have been good friends and he is an outstanding trotting trainer. And he throws the best Christmas parties."

LottaKash
08-26-2009, 09:38 PM
If it's all in friendly fun, and no harm is done....Why not ?....

best,

Pacingguy
08-27-2009, 12:37 AM
If it's all in friendly fun, and no harm is done....Why not ?....

best,

I realize it was not planned for but it was bush league. Celebrate all you want as you cross the finish line but not during the race. You need to be i control of your horse at all time in a race and clearly you are not when you are waving to your opposition. Heaven forbid someone else pulls that stunt in a race and something goes wrong.

Sea Biscuit
08-27-2009, 12:59 AM
I realize it was not planned for but it was bush league. Celebrate all you want as you cross the finish line but not during the race. You need to be i control of your horse at all time in a race and clearly you are not when you are waving to your opposition. Heaven forbid someone else pulls that stunt in a race and something goes wrong.

Lighten up Pacinguy!!!

Ron was in full control of the filly. After all they hold the reins in one hand to whip their horses. Don't they?

Sea Biscuit.

LottaKash
08-27-2009, 03:28 AM

PNG, you are a hard marker.... He was in front of the rest of the field...The guy is a pro, and thru the years I have seen things that were way worse than that, and not called...

Do you mean that he can waive after he crosses the wire, and that would be safe....?

Just making a post more fun.....:jump:

best,

Pacingguy
08-27-2009, 05:52 AM
PNG, you are a hard marker.... He was in front of the rest of the field...The guy is a pro, and thru the years I have seen things that were way worse than that, and not called...

Do you mean that he can waive after he crosses the wire, and that would be safe....?

best,

Kash, what can I say, I err on the side of caution. While highly unlikely, something can always happen in a race. Caution should be taken at all times during a race.

I am curious. You indicate you have seen things far worse in races. Hot dogging moves? I would be curious to hear about some of them.

JustRalph
08-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Just Another Hot Dog...........http://slog.thestranger.com/files/2007/08/Dancing%20hot%20dog%20C.jpg

Hanover1
08-27-2009, 09:12 PM
I am generally of a serious nature on the track, but this JOGS!!!! TONS the best!!! I roared, and so did EVERYBODY else!! Few things in life make me really laugh, but this worked.......FYI Pacingguy: I am a fan of your posts, both here and at home site, but you missed the mark this trip....I cant recall how many times I threw the lines at a colt with one hand and was knockin with the other (before rule changes of course....) Its a gag, and a classic in my opinion. We will be talking about this one for 50 years, guaranteed!!

wilderness
08-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Lighten up Pacinguy!!!

Ron was in full control of the filly. After all they hold the reins in one hand to whip their horses. Don't they?

Sea Biscuit.

That's changing in many venues ;)

wilderness
08-27-2009, 10:19 PM
I am curious. You indicate you have seen things far worse in races. Hot dogging moves? I would be curious to hear about some of them.

They speak of "kicking" horses now, which in reality is simply brushing the horses hock with the foot.

In the early 70's at Windsor Raceway, I saw Shelly Goudreau (RIP) draw his foot back so far at the top of the stretch to kick a horse that he almost fell off the bike.

When Bill Deters (RIP) returned home to Michigan after a time in the east, he had the eight-hole at Northville in the summer.
As they come out of the turn an approaching the start, Bill somehow lost his balance and was sitting sideways on the bike with his feet pointed towards the fence (which was then pretty close to the outside horse), eventually Bill was able to get back on the bike.

In the early '80's at Wolverine, I'd been watching the horses of Harold Stead who had shipped in from Toronto for the meet with a few competitive head.
When I finally bet Harold, between the half and the three-quarters, one his lines broke (which I was unaware of at the time). The horse was locked in 2nd.
Harold simply climbed off the seat, on to the shaft and mounted the horse, finishing the race in that manner. (Others told me later that Harold Stead taught this same ability to a young Trevor Ritchie). If you've never seen it happen while watching a live race, and ever are fortunate (not so fortunate for the driver; Shelly Goudreau died when two lines broke) to see, you'll be astonished.

wilderness
08-27-2009, 10:25 PM

best,

Actually, it's probably more dangerous just after the wire, than were Ronnie did it at Lexington.

After the wire horses are slowing down and many pull up naturally and sort of veer to the outside (they (horses) know the routine, having jogged many miles an pulled up at the eighth or the quarter after their days work.)

I'd venture to say that I've seen more close calls in that after the race turn, than I've ever seen in races.

wilderness
08-27-2009, 10:26 PM
There's a video of Peter Haughton (RIP) which most of the Haughton Family raves about.
At either Yonkers or Roosevelt after the race was over, Peter reached over to slap another drivers hand and fell of the bike ;)

wilderness
08-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Despite how funny Ron Pierce's waving was?

It was classless and not within the long tradition of harness racing or Lexington.

Hanover1
08-28-2009, 02:21 AM
Despite how funny Ron Pierce's waving was?

It was classless and not within the long tradition of harness racing or Lexington.
This sport needs a jumpstart....spin it how you want but it put the race on the map,,,youtube, tons of hits, talked about everywhere. Was in no way a unclassy move, just a friendly C Ya!! as he eased on by.....Life is to short to be taken so seriously all the time. If it was such a shocker, why did the WHOLE crowd ROAR like crazy???

Sea Biscuit
08-28-2009, 08:37 AM
That's changing in many venues ;)

Hopefully not at the Mohwak/Woodbine circuit.

Best,

Sea Biscuit.

wilderness
08-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Hopefully not at the Mohwak/Woodbine circuit.

Best,

Sea Biscuit.

ORC: New Rules On Urging Horses (http://standardbredcanada.ca/notices/8-12-09/orc-new-rules-urging-horses.html) Aug 12, 2009.

3rd last paragraph

wilderness
08-28-2009, 10:21 AM
This sport needs a jumpstart....spin it how you want but it put the race on the map,,,youtube, tons of hits, talked about everywhere. Was in no way a unclassy move, just a friendly C Ya!! as he eased on by.....Life is to short to be taken so seriously all the time. If it was such a shocker, why did the WHOLE crowd ROAR like crazy???

Apparently everybody didn't see it as jest or Ronnie wouldn't have been reprimanded.

wilderness
08-28-2009, 10:36 AM
From January 1979 Hoof Beats:

But even the best horses can use a little edge at times and Henry was one driver who made his own opportunities.
Listen to what the late Curly Smart had to say.
"When I drove on the Grand Circuit, I found out how tough Henry Thomas was. You know what he would do? He'd be riding right alongside you with his wheel next to yours and make a little hitch sideways. He'd bump you with his wheel and I'll guarantee you'd leave your seat about five inches. It'd just about unjoint you."
Dick Thomas laughs at Smart's description.
"It took a lot of strength and know-how to do that. But if dad was hemmed in, he'd give the guy outside of him one of those bumps and push the other horse right out. That would give dad enough room to nose his horse and away he'd go."

Sea Biscuit
08-28-2009, 10:44 AM
ORC: New Rules On Urging Horses (http://standardbredcanada.ca/notices/8-12-09/orc-new-rules-urging-horses.html) Aug 12, 2009.

3rd last paragraph

God damn nitwits at ORC.

Trying to destroy racing as we have known all our lives

Sea Biscuit.

wilderness
08-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Sea,
I "believe" Indiana has a similar rule.
Seem to recall Lexington initiating one as well.

There are some other locales where it is either pending or being considered.

There's simply too many press releases to keep up with.
EX:
Yesterday there's a stabbing at Woodbine on the SC website that has nothing to do with harness racing.

SC running US press releases and the USTA running SC press releases, with each claiming to be the #1 visited harness racing website ;)

Add in the Oceanic Harnesslink proving press releases from all over the world.

Hanover1
08-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Apparently everybody didn't see it as jest or Ronnie wouldn't have been reprimanded.
The boys had to put a face on it, but I assure you, on a personal level, they loved it. Someone had to appease the stuffshirts, but the common man, of wich the roots of harness racing began, appreciated the gesture. Not a pissing contest here, jmo is all......

LottaKash
08-28-2009, 12:23 PM

3rd last paragraph

Maybe, "Spongy Foam" coated whips & crops, would be a nice addition to the equipment rules...:jump:

You definitely can't wave "Bye-Bye" now.....:D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kidding aside tho, I "disagree" with the ruling that you can't "whip urge" a horse that "is not in contention"......Some horses need to be urged & reminded, to "GET" into a contending spot....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there were accidents and problems all over the place, I could understand the need for some of these rules changes.....Still, I haven't seen much in the way of that, unless I am not seeing straight...

Especially the one about "both hands" on the lines at all times....Heck, when I was a groom, even I could drive a horse straight, with one hand....And, these guys are "Pro's"....dumb idea, I think.....

As for the horses being "abused", I am definitely in favor of punishing the "abusers" of a horse...

best,

RichieP
08-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Check out the outside driver at :21 and 1:08.....:lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Qy4g6sy_Y&feature=related

:lol::ThmbUp:
Pierce was giving him the business!

toetoe
08-28-2009, 12:27 PM
When I finally bet Harold, between the half and the three-quarters

So you finally own up to it, eh ? :D .

Thanks for the anecdotes. :ThmbUp: .

wilderness
08-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Someone had to appease the stuffshirts, but the common man, of wich the roots of harness racing began, appreciated the gesture.

You really need to do some historical research.

Most harness racing (at least as organized sport) were initiated and supported (and remain so today; especially at Lexington) by core groups of what you've termed "stuffshirts".

In the old days these folks under the names of "driving clubs", not only implemented harness racing on properties that they had purchased, they also set the rules and tradition that exist today.

These folks that are willing to spend their dollars without any chance of profitability, are what have allowed the sport to continue. If the sport is to be saved, these folks and their money will do the saving.

If Pierce and any other horseman has an inability to grasp that issue, and hold respect to participate within the boundaries of same tradition and principles?
Than perhaps he needs a career change?

Representing these thoughts (detrimental to the public view of the sport) in open forums in which the words are spidered by search engines (major or otherwise), merely defeats the efforts of the "stuffshirts" to save the industry.

beaucap
08-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Tom ...look what you started. Like nobody has ever done something silly(believing it was just in fun) in their working environrment. Judges please give this man, just a little break.

Hanover1
08-29-2009, 01:32 AM
You really need to do some historical research.

Most harness racing (at least as organized sport) were initiated and supported (and remain so today; especially at Lexington) by core groups of what you've termed "stuffshirts".

In the old days these folks under the names of "driving clubs", not only implemented harness racing on properties that they had purchased, they also set the rules and tradition that exist today.

These folks that are willing to spend their dollars without any chance of profitability, are what have allowed the sport to continue. If the sport is to be saved, these folks and their money will do the saving.

If Pierce and any other horseman has an inability to grasp that issue, and hold respect to participate within the boundaries of same tradition and principles?
Than perhaps he needs a career change?

Representing these thoughts (detrimental to the public view of the sport) in open forums in which the words are spidered by search engines (major or otherwise), merely defeats the efforts of the "stuffshirts" to save the industry.
And the folks that raced county fairs and such?? Raised and sold cheap stock for a living?? Backside help? These folks are the cornerstone of racing, without these folks breeding and caring for these "driving club" horses, this sport is done....If it was such an insult to your taste (wich is impeccible, im sure) why was he not given days or a fine? Because Stewards saw the light in this matter, and were not so quick to pull the trigger on one of our premier drivers. (Good call) I hope it happens again..............

wilderness
08-29-2009, 09:59 AM
....If it was such an insult to your taste (wich is impeccible, im sure) why was he not given days or a fine? Because Stewards saw the light in this matter, and were not so quick to pull the trigger on one of our premier drivers. (Good call) I hope it happens again..............

Actually he was given days (my previous "reprimanded"), whether they were rescinded is unknown to me. Neither am I willing to dig through USTA Fines and Suspensions for something that happened 2-3 years ago.

wilderness
08-29-2009, 10:29 AM
FWIW, Pierce was also fined for excessive whipping with Well Said in the NAC Elim. In the final, he didn't even carry a whip ;)

Pierce was fined in Europe for excessive with Mr. Muscleman.

A few years back, Pierce went to Hoosier and was fined for excessive, vowing (publicly) he'd never return, only to do so after a short absence.

With these things in mind, Pierce is NOT known as excessive user of the whip, and these issues were the result of more stringent local rules than at the Meadowlands.

LottaKash
08-29-2009, 01:23 PM
On a lighter side, I wonder, how "Tiger Woods" gets away with all that "fist pumping"....The stuffed shirsts must like it ....Good for business I guess ?

How about Calvin Borel, with Mine That Bird, the stuffed shirsts didn't say much about that, and he did his waiving without his fake-teeth sitting in their proper place, as well..?

If you ask me, there is a whole lotta fist-pumping and such , going on all over the place, in "all" the sports.....I just don't see it as "that" big a deal....

Plus, I have seen "many" a driver waiving his hand or whip in triumph, after a score in a big race...

best,

Hanover1
08-31-2009, 05:11 PM
My point exactly...Cant show emotion and tout opposition? Then I guess we must now re-define the meaning of the word "sport"? They put the taunt rule in football, and really started this crap that takes away alot of what we pay to see. Some folks at NASCAR claim to go just to see accidents. Something we all know is wrong, but its the fan base and what they want to see......cater to the fan.