PDA

View Full Version : Government free phones now???

newtothegame
08-25-2009, 05:38 PM
And the story becomes even more laughable.....:bang:

Story was reported in the denver post....

Free cell phones to welfare recipients

Thousands of low-income Coloradans reliant on public assistance could get a free cellphone under a plan before the state Public Utilities Commission.

If approved, the plan by TracFone Wireless in Miami would make Colorado the 17th state it has settled into with free cell service for the indigent, a form of wireless welfare that proponents say taps into one of the last untapped markets for the telecom technology. [...]

The program is a twist on Lifeline, a long-standing federal subsidy that provides low-income families with a break on their land-line telephone bill in order to ensure emergency 911 service.

In Colorado, it's called LITAP — the Low Income Telephone Assistance Program — and is available to anyone receiving aid from any of six welfare funds: Colorado Works Assistance (TANF), Supplemental Security Income, LEAP, Aid to Needy Disabled, the Old Age Pension Fund and Aid to the Blind.

Statewide, about 65 percent of those eligible participated in Lifeline last year.

The money — more than $800 million in subsidies were paid last year for low-income phone service across the country — comes from the Universal Service Fund, a tax on all telephone lines. Of that amount, Coloradans received nearly $3.2 million in low-income subsidies.

Let me add that I am in no way against someone having the ability to contact emergency services if needed. But, I Do NOT think these low income recipients used 800 million dollars in emergency calls:lol:

Pell Mell
08-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Numerous people from my wife's congregation have those phones. There is a gimmick and strings attached.
They only receive 68 minutes a month. If they exceed this amount they are then able to buy extra minutes from Trac-Phone at .25 per min. This is very expensive because they can get Net 10 for .10 a min. That's Trac-phones incentive to provide those phones, to sell their high priced min.
In addition, they were all notified that if they were in the Life-Line program on their land line they would have to either give up the Life-Line or the Trac-Phone.
So it ends up that they have no more than before but Trac-Phone is making a killing.

JustRalph
08-25-2009, 08:35 PM
and they bother 911 operators all over the country (especially when the eagle shits and they are all drunk that weekend) using their "911 only" cell phones to call for cabs, pizza and of course they beg 911 operators to transfer them all over creation...............including their drug dealers number..........

juanepstein
08-25-2009, 08:53 PM
how about given them a roll of quarters that says "emergency phone quarters" on the wrapper. 1 roll a year thats all you get.