PDA

View Full Version : Youbet/Cox comm

MIKE D
05-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Hi Message to all out there using Youbet CD software program.Cox High Speed cable internet service has blocked port 1433.This is the port that youbet CD software users need to access the youbet program,You can still use the regular internet to access your accounts.Cox says other internet providers are looking at blocking port 1433 also as they claim hackers can get into Sql servers through that port.Just general info to Cox users,I dont believe they will patch a workaround as I am sure the CD version is on the way out.Mike D

JimG
05-20-2003, 04:15 PM
Mike,

That's horrible news. I much prefer the cd version. I used it last night with no problem. I assume this just happened today?

If true, I've just gotten closer to getting dishNetwork or direct tv so I can watch TVG

Jim

MIKE D
05-20-2003, 04:53 PM
Jim G So far Jim this applies only to Cox internet subscribers,and it went into effect on the evening of the 15th,so if you dont use Cox and you are o.k now cross your fingers Mike D

JimG
05-20-2003, 05:47 PM
Mike D

Just got home and the cd version works fine. By the way, I am a Cox internet user, that's why your post was of interest to me.

Jim

MIKE D
05-20-2003, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the input Jim G.This is indeed getting very mysteryous.I have called Cox and they have given me a list of ports that they block,1433 being oneof them.I have called Youbet they have asked me if I was a Cox subscriber when I explained the problem.They.the internet geek at youbet tells me that they use port 1433, and that he has called Cox about the problem and did not expect any results,I live in Arizona and it looks like you live on the other side of the world,I cant think that makes the difference,but now I am really mystified ????? Thanks for the post Jim

JustRalph
05-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Time Frame..? Maybe this policy just hasn't been implemented on the East coast yet. If it does become a policy in Va you guys may have some other options.......you can mess around with port assignments sometimes. Usually involves a router etc. But it depends on how Cox has blocked the port........ I still have the software on a system here somewhere......? I will see if I can play with it.

JimG
05-20-2003, 09:29 PM
JustRalph,

I'll be in touch if they mess with my connection. Thanks my friend.

Jim

Tom
05-20-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by JimG
Mike,

That's horrible news. I much prefer the cd version. I used it last night with no problem. I assume this just happened today?

If true, I've just gotten closer to getting dishNetwork or direct tv so I can watch TVG
Jim

Thumbs up to TVG. (And a compliment from ME is unusual <G>)
I am very happy with it, and I actually enjoy the talking heads.
Sometimes, they can be pretty funny. I am even getting into the quarter horses lately.
The picture quality is so far ahead of cable it isn't funny. I am seriously considering dropping Time Warner and going all-sat, including internet..RoadRunner is pretty shabby, nothing like they advertise.

JustRalph
05-21-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Tom
I am seriously considering dropping Time Warner and going all-sat, including internet..RoadRunner is pretty shabby, nothing like they advertise.

Tom

I had Satellite Internet for a year. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

THEY ARE BIGGER LIARS THAN THE CABLE PEOPLE AND THAT MEANS SOMETHING. BETTING THE HORSES IS A HIT AND MISS PROPOSITION WITH THE SATELLITE. THE COMPANY I WORKED FOR SOLD THE SAT. INTERNET IN THEIR STORES FOR 30 DAYS AND THE CUSTOMERS ALMOST BURNED THE STORES DOWN. ALL 20 STORES. IT WASN'T A REGIONAL PROBLEM (WHICH IS THEIR BIG CLAIM WHEN SOMEONE BITCHES) IT WAS SYSTEMIC. THE TECHNOLOGY WON'T CUT IT.....AT LEAST NOT YET.

Just wanted to get my point across..............unless the technology has changed completely since I had it (18 mths ago) I don't recommend it. I went with Dishnetwork but kept Roadrunner. Now I am on DSL, here in Ca. Dialup was preferrable to Sat. Because the dialup actually worked. It was slow. .. but it worked. My provider was Starband....try this link for some juicy info.....http://groups.google.com/groups?q=starband+sucks&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en

BillW
05-21-2003, 01:33 AM
One problem that will never go away with satellite internet is the probagation delay. TCP is not designed for a high latency environment, too much back and forth going on.

BTW Tom, I've been meaning to ask ... your avitar - diaper rash or bitter beer face?

Bill

Tom
05-21-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by BillW

BTW Tom, I've been meaning to ask ... your avitar - diaper rash or bitter beer face?

Bill

It is culled from a larger picture - of a jar of Gerber Piccante Sauce, complete wtih little crossed red-peppers.

JR...thanks for the tip. I am on hold.

InsideThePylons-MW
06-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Cox shut down Orange County California as of Sunday night 6/1. No help from either Cox or YouBet seems to be forthcoming.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

:mad: :mad: :mad:

:( :( :(

MIKE D
06-04-2003, 11:08 AM
REPLY TO MW I think you are right my friend,It has now been about 3 weeks and Youbet tells me they cant make any deals with Cox on opening Port 1433.I am getting used to using the Youbet net site,no choice now.however my preference is the C,D version.Life goes on MIKE D

MikeDee
06-05-2003, 08:14 AM
I use a telco provided DSL. If they shut down the port and refused to use it. I would change internet providers.

If the industry is, in fact, going to shut down the port then youbet will have to change to another one. right now it doesn't look like a total shut down is happeing.