PDA

View Full Version : Novak's breakup letter and the HOY

FenceBored
08-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Sunday on the Paulick Report was 'Claire Novak fallout' day with a number of links to blogs by media people on the subject of Claire Novak's
Sportsman shmortsman (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/blog?post=4412412) blog post.

As I said in another thread I thought it sounded like a high school breakup letter. It starts by saying that the Kool-aid drinking was over. Explains how the problems amount to the stereotypical breakup ones of: 1) lack of communication, unwillingness to discuss things in infinite detail at inconvenient times, comparison to rival who 'gets it'; 2) inability to commit; 3) character flaw (greed) that the writer sees now, but didn't see before. All with the strains of Paula Abdul's "Straight Up" ("Can I have some information, pleaseeeeee") playing in the background.

Glen Craven at his blog Fugue for Tinhorns (http://fuguefortinhorns.blogspot.com/2009/08/jess-jackson-guardian-of-galaxy.html) agrees with Novak and some guy in Germany, that Jackson is doing the media dirty by not understanding their needs and making his and Rachel's world revolve around them.

Ed DeRosa at his blog Big Event Blog (http://blog-beb.thoroughbredtimes.com/2009/08/in-defense-of-jackson-and-owners.html) defends Jackson as a sporting owner. To quote his thesis: "The idea that owners owe the industry (or the media) anything has to end."

Now, I agree with DeRosa, but in thinking about it last night I came to my own prescription for Mr. Jackson and his PR people. They need to send some flowers and candy to Ms. Novak, ASAP.

Last year, Jess Jackson campaigned Curlin with the HOY honors in his mind at every turn. This year he's doing the same with Rachel Alexandra. Prior to the Breeders Cup Curlin at the strongest case for the Eclipse, but others, Zenyatta in particular, had strong cases of their own. Then Curlin hangs in the Classic, finishing a definitely beaten 4th. Goodbye HOY? Well, some thought so, and the debate started. For weeks the bits and ink flew with Zenyatta supporters pointing to her undefeated year, never in less than a G2, capped off with a dominating win in the Breeders Cup Ladies Classic. Curlin supporters responded with Curlin's breaking of Cigar's earnings record, his solid performances <cough>aside from the Classic</cough>, and his go-for-broke campaign with its willingness to try new things. His shipping to Dubai to win the Dubai World Cup. The Arc was considered, but with an unimpressive 2nd in the Man o' War (finishing between to BC Turf winners) rejected. The Japan Cup was even floated as a possibility for awhile. In short, by his 'sportsmanlike' handling of Curlin last year Jess Jackson bought his horse the BotD (Benefit of the Doubt) he needed to secure enough votes for HOY.

Which brings us back to Claire Novak and the media people who agree with her. What would happen if at the end of the year Rachel has not so solidly put away her competition that she has no real rivals for HOY? I'm not saying that Ms. Novak, or any other member of the press who might have an Eclipse vote, would vote against Rachel out of spite for Jess Jackson. But if there is a doubt. If Zenyatta does what she needs to do to make her best case. If Gio Ponti runs the table against strong competition. If Rachel bobbles. Feeling that Mr. Jackson has not been as sporting this year, would he get that same BotD from the voters? Is Jess Jackson ready to put his dreams of having the HOY 3 straight years at risk by peeving the press?

So, Mr. Jackson, contact 1-800-FLOWERS for a rush delivery and then call Claire and have that long conversation, with the strains of Barry White's "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe" in the background.

DJofSD
08-24-2009, 11:22 AM
I stopped reading when I reached the point where she complains about only finding out RA is not in the Alabama by looking at the overnights and discovering she's not there. What did she expect, a telephone call in the middle of the night from JJ comparing and contrasting the relative merits of each of the 5 races he had said he's considering?

Claire comes off as lazy, stupid or both. Yes, racing needs it fans. But there are limits to everything and knowing every single detail of what JJ is thinking the moment he is thinking it is way over the top.

Reporters are supposed to be detacted and neutral. Claire comes off as obsessed.

Doc
08-24-2009, 12:04 PM
I stopped reading when I reached the point where she complains about only finding out RA is not in the Alabama by looking at the overnights and discovering she's not there. What did she expect, a telephone call in the middle of the night from JJ comparing and contrasting the relative merits of each of the 5 races he had said he's considering?

Claire comes off as lazy, stupid or both. Yes, racing needs it fans. But there are limits to everything and knowing every single detail of what JJ is thinking the moment he is thinking it is way over the top.

Reporters are supposed to be detacted and neutral. Claire comes off as obsessed.

Couldn't agree with you more. This girl needs to understand that Jess Jackson is under no requirement to announce his every move with a press conference, especially not to her. What makes me laugh is that on her NTRA blog she's touted as an "award-winning journalist." What award has she won? None, as far I can ascertain. What a load of crap.

sandpit
08-24-2009, 03:41 PM

I do agree with you guys that her column sounds like sour grapes. However, I have been in a working relationship with her in the past, and while I'm not a close friend by any means, she is not lazy at all. She works very hard to get her stories. I used to read her work on the Barbaro blog on the bloodhorse website, and from the number of entries and reader comments she had to deal with from all those obsessed fans, I'm sure she had to be very taxed in addition to her regular duites.

bisket
08-24-2009, 05:38 PM
reporters as a group are a bunch of ninnies.

toetoe
08-24-2009, 06:13 PM
I loved her in Vertigo.

ManeMediaMogul
08-24-2009, 09:30 PM
reporters as a group are a bunch of ninnies.

That's very insightful coming from someone who started out as an apprentice baiter and has worked themselves up to a master baiter.

PaceAdvantage
08-26-2009, 03:44 AM
That's very insightful coming from someone who started out as an apprentice baiter and has worked themselves up to a master baiter.Honestly, your follow-up wasn't any better...in fact, it was actually worse...