PDA

View Full Version : POLL RESULTS ON SPEED TODAY

botster
08-23-2009, 11:47 PM
I recently posted a thread in a poll format on a harness forum which has a majority of it's members active in the sport today.A vast majority of these members are actively or had been active in the sport as trainers,owners, caretakers,drivers, and other person involved in various spectrums of the game.

My poll asked "Which factor MOST explains the drop in average win time over the last 30 years".

Fifty-eight persons voted and these were the results.

PRERACING/THERAPUTIC AIDES 22...37.9%
BREEDING 15...25.9%
RACEBIKES/EQUIPTMENT 7...12.1%
TRACK SURFACE/MAITENANCE 5...8.6%
OTHER 4...6.9%
TRAINING 3...5.2%
DRIVERS 2...3.4%

I got a few interesting responses.One trainer/driver thinks the M1 is not a complete mile, since the pylons were put in.He believes most tracks have been shortened to do the pylons being implimented.

The preracing vote led throughout and would have actually been the leader by more votes if the site wasn't rebooted one day while the voting was taking place.

Sea Biscuit
08-24-2009, 01:19 AM
I recently posted a thread in a poll format on a harness forum which has a majority of it's members active in the sport today.A vast majority of these members are actively or had been active in the sport as trainers,owners, caretakers,drivers, and other person involved in various spectrums of the game.

My poll asked "Which factor MOST explains the drop in average win time over the last 30 years".

Fifty-eight persons voted and these were the results.

PRERACING/THERAPUTIC AIDES 22...37.9%
BREEDING 15...25.9%
RACEBIKES/EQUIPTMENT 7...12.1%
TRACK SURFACE/MAITENANCE 5...8.6%
OTHER 4...6.9%
TRAINING 3...5.2%
DRIVERS 2...3.4%

I got a few interesting responses.One trainer/driver thinks the M1 is not a complete mile, since the pylons were put in.He believes most tracks have been shortened to do the pylons being implimented.

The preracing vote led throughout and would have actually been the leader by more votes if the site wasn't rebooted one day while the voting was taking place.

If I remember correctly, the old hubrail was not straight but curved towards the track. The drivers had to drive at least two feet away from the rail. Now they skim the nylon pylons sometimes even touching them making the distance shorter if you are on the rail.

Just my thought.

Sea Biscuit.

Pacingguy
08-24-2009, 08:06 AM
If I remember correctly, the old hubrail was not straight but curved towards the track. The drivers had to drive at least two feet away from the rail. Now they skim the nylon pylons sometimes even touching them making the distance shorter if you are on the rail.

Just my thought.

Sea Biscuit.

Here is the USTA rule regarding measuring the track:

§ 3. Track Measurement Certificate.—In order that the performances
thereon may be recognized and/or published as official every track member
not having done so heretofore and since January 1st, 1939, shall forthwith
cause to be filed with the Executive Vice-President the certificate of a duly
licensed civil engineer or land surveyor that he has subsequently to January
1st, 1939, measured the said track from wire to wire 3 feet out from the pole or inside hub rail thereof and certifying in linear feet the result of such measurement. Each track shall be measured and recertified in the event of any changes or relocation of the hub rail. Provided further that effective January 1, 2008 and thereafter the times of horses obtained on tracks which have not been recertified after a request for recertification by the United states Trotting Association shall not be recognized.

Sea Biscuit
08-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Here is the USTA rule regarding measuring the track:

§ 3. Track Measurement Certificate.—In order that the performances
thereon may be recognized and/or published as official every track member
not having done so heretofore and since January 1st, 1939, shall forthwith
cause to be filed with the Executive Vice-President the certificate of a duly
licensed civil engineer or land surveyor that he has subsequently to January
1st, 1939, measured the said track from wire to wire 3 feet out from the pole or inside hub rail thereof and certifying in linear feet the result of such measurement. Each track shall be measured and recertified in the event of any changes or relocation of the hub rail. Provided further that effective January 1, 2008 and thereafter the times of horses obtained on tracks which have not been recertified after a request for recertification by the United states Trotting Association shall not be recognized.

Thanks Pacingguy. Interesting rule. I wonder if any of the tracks bothered to re-certify their tracks after the hub-rail to pylons changes.

Sea Biscuit.

botster
08-24-2009, 11:50 AM

This same trainer also added that he has trained during the time of the hub rail and was stabled at the M1 since the opening of the track itself.He claims that he can identify landmarks, such as a drain pipe that has not been moved in 25 years is in the last turn that drivers regularly go over while racing today just inside the pylon.

He also stated that this drain pipe though still there during the hub rail period, could not, and was never, crossed over by himself when training.He believes that same drain pipe was a good fifteen feet inside from the hub rail at the time!

Interesting to say the least...

pandy
08-24-2009, 12:18 PM
In my opinion,

95% bikes and wheels.
2% faster tracks.
2% drugs.
1% in breeding for speed.