PDA

View Full Version : BEST Route to Belmont Park!

Vinnie
05-19-2003, 09:25 AM
Hey Folks! I am going to be coming to the Belmont Stakes in the hope of seeing something significantly historical take place on June 7th! I will be coming from Southern Mass... (on I-95). If anyone can suggest a probable route for me to take to get to Belmont Park, I would appreciate it a great deal since I am not too familiar with New York and its surrounding areas..

Thanks a bunch, and I will see you on that Saturday in June if you will be in attendance....

All the BEST;

Vinnie

cj
05-19-2003, 12:51 PM
The train...and I'm not kidding, traffic is a nightmare.

CJ

pat
05-19-2003, 06:39 PM
take i95 to the throggs neck bridge after toll stay straight to the grand central pkwy east to the cross island pkwy south to beautiful BELMONT park

Suff
05-19-2003, 06:54 PM
You can see the track from The Cross island... and you'll get a good look at it if your late.. Because YOu'll be parked in traffic. Its a TOLL road.

When I go to Belmont....I go I-90 (masspike) to 84 south...Through Hartford. Its a straighter shot and takes a half hour off the trip.

Go 95, to 90, to 84. About 40 miles on 84 you'll see NYC signs. Belmonts in Queens. I do it in 3hours and 15 Minutes. Thats Door to Door, with One stop for a coffee and bathrrom break.

To get specific directions from Your address go to www.Mapquest.com

Enter your zipcode, and Belmonts (11003).... They'll give you door to door directions.

Enjoy.

BTW.... If you Train it to Grand central....They have a subway.... and they have The LONG ISLAND RAILWAY that run right ot the track from Grand Central Station. Long island railway has a stop right at Belmont park.... walk off the train...Up the ramp and your at a Grandstand entrance.

For anyone that may be coming to NYC for the Belmont. NYC people and security? 9-11-01 is singed into thier brains.
Expect delays for Package inspections, Metal Detectors, Pat downs, emptying pockets,,,,,

Breeders Cup at belmont....took me 45 minutes to Get from The Long island Rail Station into the track....and I was Patted down and my Bags inspected when I got to the entrance.

Suff
05-19-2003, 07:09 PM
Vinnie

Are you flying into TF green Airport in Providence?

If so...here's the directions

1: Start out going North on LODI CT toward GILLAN AVE. 0.05 miles

2: Turn RIGHT onto GILLAN AVE. 0.15 miles

3: Turn RIGHT onto POST RD. 0.31 miles

4: POST RD becomes RI-117 W/US-1 S. 0.39 miles

5: Turn RIGHT onto RI-117/CENTERVILLE RD. 0.99 miles

6: Merge onto I-95 S via the ramp- on the left (Portions toll). 154.41 miles

7: Merge onto I-695 S via exit number 7A- on the left- toward I-295/THROGS NECK BR/LONG ISLAND (Portions toll). 1.86 miles

8: I-695 S becomes I-295 S. 2.15 miles

9: Take the CROSS IS PKWY exit toward EASTERN L I. 0.50 miles

10: Merge onto CROSS ISLAND PKWY S. 7.01 miles

11: Take the RT-24/HEMPSTEAD AVE EAST exit- exit number 26B- toward BELMONT RACETRACK. 0.18 miles

12: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto HEMPSTEAD TURNPIKE/NY-24. 1.01 miles

13: Turn RIGHT onto ELMONT RD. 0.44 miles

14: Turn LEFT. 0.10 miles

15: Turn LEFT. 0.02 miles

16: Turn RIGHT. 0.39 miles

17: Turn LEFT

2 hours 52 Minutes Total Travel time.

lousycapper
05-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
The train...and I'm not kidding, traffic is a nightmare.

CJ

===========================

Grampa agrees... TAKE THE TRAIN! You'll be glad you did.

-L.C.

Vinnie
05-19-2003, 10:24 PM
CJ, Pat, SUFF, and LousyCapper,

Thank you guys a bunch for all of the Terrific info. on the directions and such. You guys are Awesome.. Thanks a bunch Suff for the detailed and extensive directions. I recently moved to Mass. from Florida (in a little over the past week) so I will most definitely have to print out the routes that you have provided for guidance along the road to Beautiful Belmont Park. Suff, will you be there? I have to be there! I have never before been, but, I feel compelled to go right now because who knows if I will ever have the good fortune to get to see a horse (if he does?) win the Triple Crown again in my lifetime....

If you guys are going please let me know. I would love the chance to get to meet you folks...

Thanks again. I look forward to getting the chance to see you guys there when FC goes for the historic "BIG 3"!!!

Vinnie

andicap
05-19-2003, 11:06 PM
Vinnie,
I sent you a private message on this subject.....

Vinnie
05-19-2003, 11:21 PM
Andicap,

How are you doing? I wrote you a private message in return. Please let me know if you received it.

All the BEST;

Vinnie

GARY Z
05-23-2003, 11:41 PM
check my post today..
you might want to park in new york(manhattan) in the west
34th street area and take the long island rail road at penn station
which could cost you @25.00 for parking and @
12.00 per passenger by railroad

the railroad stops within the track and should be less aggravating
than dealing with traffic and a grid locked parking lot

aaron
06-01-2003, 09:32 PM
get there early-make sure you have seats-if possiable take the LIRR from Penn station.If you drive and you arrive after 9:30 parking will be a problem.
If the weather is cold be sure to bring a jacket or sweatshirt.

Bubbles
06-01-2003, 09:53 PM
Stupid question: Are seats important? If I go (50-50 chance), I'll probably be picnicking. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks much, guys!

aaron
06-02-2003, 07:07 AM
If you are going to stay in the back yard you will not need seats.I would suggest that you arrive as early as possiable,since the place will fill up very fast,especially if the weather is nice.The back yard is warmer than the track,so you can dress appropiately.

Suff
06-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie
CJ, Pat, SUFF, and LousyCapper,

Thanks a bunch Suff for the detailed and extensive directions. I recently moved to Mass. from Florida (in a little over the past week) . Suff, will you be there? I have to be there! I have never before been, but, I feel compelled to go right now because who knows if I will ever have the good fortune to get to see a horse (if he does?) win the Triple Crown again in my lifetime....

If you guys are going please let me know. I would love the chance to get to meet you folks...

Thanks again. I look forward to getting the chance to see you guys there when FC goes for the historic "BIG 3"!!!

Vinnie

Vinnie...Thanks...Your Welcome. Answering Your questions.

Will I be there?

I would give anything to be there,,,,,, But I can't. Short version is that I made a commitment for June 7th that I cannot break. I'm working until 4:30 this Saturday. I made a Commitment to the guy I work for......and I will Honor it. This guy takes very very good care of me...and he has a lotta juice in town,,,and I know what side of the bread I have to butter to keep this Freight Train (otherwise known as my life) on the tracks.

Have I been there?

Many many times. The trip I most remember and am a little proud of is the trip I took on USAIR 6 weeks after Sept 11th 2001. The Breeders Cup. My Ticket to Belmont Park is Hanging up on the Wall to my right as I type this. I stayed at the Holiday INN Wall Street....two blocks from GROUND ZERO. I was there 4 days. I'm an early riser. I got up at 4:30 AM everyday and went to the World Trade Center. I'm in the Trade UNIONS. I met a few UNION GUYS from NYC and walked inside GROUND ZERO everyday at Sunrise. Images I will never forget.

You'll love Belmont. Its the only Mile and Half Oval in North America. Its Huge Like a Coleseum in the grandstand. Big Place. Breeders Cup was quiet due to 9/11 and it was Cold. I coulda played an NFL game in the Room Behind the Grandstand seats.

NYC is nice........ But if and when you plan on visiting the Number One city .......Give me a hollar. Go Sox.

Vinnie
06-03-2003, 07:33 PM
Suff,

Thanks for the wonderful message. I appreciate it! It is a genuinely admirable that you will be taking care of your boss on that day (June 7th). After a great deal of deliberation and due to the fact that I have never before been to Belmont Park, I won't be in attendance at this years Big Event I am afraid. Honestly, I would love to be there, but, since I am not at all too familiar with the NYC area, from listening to the posts of not only yourself but, those of the folks on this board that are from the Great City of New York, I have a feeling that of all days to be in New York, I may just get caught up in a real fiasco with all of the traffic and congestion. It could be pretty unreal with FC being a New York Hero naturally, the projected crowd and traffic issues seem like they might be a humongous problem come this weekend. It would become a marathon trip of sorts. I really don't have anyone out here to come to the event with that would be willing to endure such a trip, so, I guess that I will just have to have some folks over to the house and throw some wagers in on good ol' Youbet...

GO FC!! I hope that he can get it done on this Saturday to become the latest installment as our newest and only living TC Winner!

All the BEST;

Vinnie

ps- Suff, maybe we can hook up sometime over at the Downs if that is where you normally go to play the ponies?

Suff
06-03-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie
Suff,

Vinnie

ps- Suff, maybe we can hook up sometime over at the Downs if that is where you normally go to play the ponies?

Vinnie....Please don't let crowds and The Unknown scare you from going. GO!! If you can go... GO!! Your new around these parts... Don't let something like crowds and the fact your out of your area stop you..... If I was you I would go.

If you get lost ......so what?
If its crowded so what?
If it takes awhile to get there So what?

Its NYC... The Capital of the free world and its a NY bred going for a Triple Crown on his Home turf. These things happen once every Century or two. When your old and sitting in your Rocking Chair you will be Glad you went.

I play the Horses from My Desktop....I rarely go to Suffolk anymore. Don't let that stop you.... If your heading this way drop me a line. I'd go over if you were heading that way.....Theres a few Guys that have been on me to get over there and see them. I keep telling them to buy a Computer and e-mail me!! Lol .... truthfully.....It boggles my mind that if your a grown man, and you have interests like Horse racing how you cannot have a PC at Home.

I do everything on my PC. Pay my Bills,,,Weather Reports...Horse racing, Games,, Read the news, Get directions..Look up Telephone numbers,, Keep in touch with friends and Family.

I'd toss my TV before I Tossed my PC.

alysheba88
06-04-2003, 11:12 AM
If you wait until 11 there will be traffic. But if you get there by 8am or so (think gates open at 8.30) you will be fine driving. Should be able to get a good parking spot.

Vinnie
06-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Thanks a bunch Suff!

I really do enjoy your posts, honestly. I myself can't even begin to fathom how anyone thoroughly interested in the T-Breds can go without owning a computer these days either. I just love to check the email, the handful of horse sites that I love, and to play the ponies on the net.. When my computer has been down in the past it is like having a sick family member..... Well, not quite that extreme of course. <G>...

No, I won't be going. I just know that I won't get back until the wee hours of the following morning more than likely, and my inlaws are holding a big B-Day bash for my younger son on that Sunday following the Big Race.. I would be torched from all of the goings on.. I guess that I am a weenie, what can I say??......

Have a Great One Suff, and enjoy the Big Race...

I hope that FC can clear that final hurdle on Saturday.

GARY Z
06-05-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Bubbles
Stupid question: Are seats important? If I go (50-50 chance), I'll probably be picnicking. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks much, guys!

don't even think about the picnic grounds unless you have kids,or
like the smell of occasional pot,and enjoy standing on massive betting lines , bumping into a gizillion people who are either confused,drunk, etc and conceivably face the possibility of another weekend day of rain..

you may want to check the remaining ticket sellers @ ebay, and/or
scalpers at the track to enjoy a day that perhaps may never occur again

a "new york bred" winning not one,but all three classic jewels

hell truly has frozen over!!!

alysheba88
06-05-2003, 08:44 AM
If you get there when the gates open you can get a seat on one of the benches facing the finish line