PDA

View Full Version : I wonder what the ROI would be on

tag
08-20-2009, 04:27 PM
betting the higher odds half of an uncoupled entry from a high percentage (>=20%) trainer. I see it so often. Happened at Arlington race 2 and Calder race 7 today. The higher odds entry won.

Overlay
08-20-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm not saying that your observation isn't valid, but (as with any spot-play angle) regardless of how profitable it might have been in the past or might still currently be, it wouldn't remain that way once enough people knew about it, and started playing it on a stand-alone basis.

illinoisbred
08-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Many times a trainer will enter 2 in a race just so the race will go.My suspicion is thats the case in regard to the AP race.Lately, entries have been lean here.

Fastracehorse
08-20-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm not saying that your observation isn't valid, but (as with any spot-play angle) regardless of how profitable it might have been in the past or might still currently be, it wouldn't remain that way once enough people knew about it, and started playing it on a stand-alone basis.

Frankel, Bobby used to do it on a regular basis b4 he became known country-wide.

They are more subtle angles, because they happen irregularly, so if U have a barn that does this go 4 it.

fffastt

bobbyt62
08-21-2009, 12:58 AM
i saw a study from the so cal (only) circuit a few years back, and the roi for the longer odds was lower than the short odds. it was a one year study, so obviously we always remember when the long odds wins. somebody in the form actually ran baffert only, with a similar conclusion. i don't think it's sustainable as a mechanical method (to bet longer odds), but i always look at both ends. with good googling, you may be able to find either article.

Overlay
08-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Frankel, Bobby used to do it on a regular basis b4 he became known country-wide.

They are more subtle angles, because they happen irregularly, so if U have a barn that does this go 4 it.

fffastt

You're certainly correct that such angles are out there if you look for them, but I personally prefer to rely on a multi-factored approach that takes the chances of all the horses in a field into account. Then I don't have to continually hunt for new individual spot plays that may already be past their peak by the time they can be detected.

Fastracehorse
08-25-2009, 05:20 PM
You're certainly correct that such angles are out there if you look for them, but I personally prefer to rely on a multi-factored approach that takes the chances of all the horses in a field into account. Then I don't have to continually hunt for new individual spot plays that may already be past their peak by the time they can be detected.

These types pay well - it's just an angle that can help you in a race - and most horses are bet heavy because of more obvious factors.

fffastt

lamboguy
08-25-2009, 08:58 PM
i wonder if it would be a good idea to get rid of entry's to beging. sometimes guys enter 2 horses with the same rider knowing that they are going to scratch one of them. they get to see who is in the race, if they have a speed horse and see to much speed they might scratch the speed part of the entry and save the horse for a different spot. next thing in new york it penalizes the bettor who makes multiple wagers ahead of time when they like one horse in the entry and are now directed to the favorite. also they have a rule that if one part scratches the other part runs for purse money only.

Fastracehorse
08-25-2009, 09:18 PM
i wonder if it would be a good idea to get rid of entry's to beging. sometimes guys enter 2 horses with the same rider knowing that they are going to scratch one of them. they get to see who is in the race, if they have a speed horse and see to much speed they might scratch the speed part of the entry and save the horse for a different spot. next thing in new york it penalizes the bettor who makes multiple wagers ahead of time when they like one horse in the entry and are now directed to the favorite. also they have a rule that if one part scratches the other part runs for purse money only.

A friend of mine singled Desormeaux on the 1 in the last leg of the p-4 on Sat.. The horse scratched ( my buds fault ) and he got the no-shot 1A.

fffastt