PDA

View Full Version : Jackson mum on where Rachel runs next

thespaah
08-20-2009, 03:45 PM
From the Albany Times Union...
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?category=SARATOGA&storyID=833144&BCCode=&newsdate=8/20/2009&TextPage=1

jonnielu
08-20-2009, 03:48 PM
From the Albany Times Union...
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?category=SARATOGA&storyID=833144&BCCode=&newsdate=8/20/2009&TextPage=1

That's a big surprise, gotta find something where she can't lose.

jdl

FenceBored
08-20-2009, 04:15 PM

jdl

Oh, so you mean he's got so many choices he can't narrow them down. :lol:

ghostyapper
08-20-2009, 04:23 PM
For an all time great they are very secretive with her campaign. Definitely not a "come and get me" attitude.

thespaah
08-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Oh, so you mean he's got so many choices he can't narrow them down. :lol:Travers, PA Derby and Woodward

Java Gold@TFT
08-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Travers, PA Derby and Woodward
And the Personal Ensign. The only two potential contenders in the Travers she hasn't already proven she can beat are Quality Road and Kensei. Jess is a smart business man as well as a competitor but if I was him and I could get a G-I win in the Traves for a potential stallion i would definitely run him and not let her be the one to beat him. She's already won 2 G-I's against 3yo males so why not branch out to G-I wins against older mares at 10F (a lot of people's other bitching point) or even better beat older males in a G-I that no female has ever won?

jonnielu
08-20-2009, 05:11 PM
And the Personal Ensign. The only two potential contenders in the Travers she hasn't already proven she can beat are Quality Road and Kensei. Jess is a smart business man as well as a competitor but if I was him and I could get a G-I win in the Traves for a potential stallion i would definitely run him and not let her be the one to beat him. She's already won 2 G-I's against 3yo males so why not branch out to G-I wins against older mares at 10F (a lot of people's other bitching point) or even better beat older males in a G-I that no female has ever won?

Well, as long as he doesn't actually risk losing. Tough to do at 10f.

jdl

Java Gold@TFT
08-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Well, as long as he doesn't actually risk losing. Tough to do at 10f.

jdl
Yep, Jess never risks losing. He knew that the beasts in the Preakness and Haskell had no chance of beating her so that's why he sent her in those races too. If you reread my post I said that the risk of losing was on Kensei's end of the bargain if she runs. Why risk him losing a prestigious race like the Travers to a girl when she has already beaten up on the best that have come to her so far? Kensei, G-I at 10F = big dollars at the stud farm. Rachel - been there, done that, bring on something new. She will meet up with Quality Road some day. It just doesn't have to be the 29th. Unless of course he retires to stud before the Donn next winter.

Hanover1
08-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Yep, Jess never risks losing. He knew that the beasts in the Preakness and Haskell had no chance of beating her so that's why he sent her in those races too. If you reread my post I said that the risk of losing was on Kensei's end of the bargain if she runs. Why risk him losing a prestigious race like the Travers to a girl when she has already beaten up on the best that have come to her so far? Kensei, G-I at 10F = big dollars at the stud farm. Rachel - been there, done that, bring on something new. She will meet up with Quality Road some day. It just doesn't have to be the 29th. Unless of course he retires to stud before the Donn next winter.
Perhaps the secretive manner in wich she is being brought along at this time involves what we all are aware of. Jessies girl is vulnerable at 10f against colts. At least thats the perception I see out there, and Jess is aware of this as well as Stevie Wonderboy. I think Jess is torn between a personal intent to display greatness, and some forms of reality are in the way. Amongst a ton of critics, I would opt for G1 against females next outing, unless his beancounters can build a case for older males, wich seems like next choice here. We all want to see the Travers, however, and its the gutsy call of the three.

Black Ruby
08-20-2009, 06:29 PM
or he might just enjoy messing with the other guys, let them sit around stewing and fretting on where they can go to avoid her.

mostpost
08-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Perhaps the secretive manner in wich she is being brought along at this time involves what we all are aware of. Jessies girl is vulnerable at 10f against colts. At least thats the perception I see out there, and Jess is aware of this as well as Stevie Wonderboy. I think Jess is torn between a personal intent to display greatness, and some forms of reality are in the way. Amongst a ton of critics, I would opt for G1 against females next outing, unless his beancounters can build a case for older males, wich seems like next choice here. We all want to see the Travers, however, and its the gutsy call of the three.
Rachel Alexamdra will have NO problem with 10 furlongs against colts. People were questioning Secretariat's ability to get a mile and a quarter before the 1973 Kentucky Derby. We saw how that turned out.

Black Ruby
08-20-2009, 06:37 PM
If RA has a problem, it may yet prove to be Calvin.

ghostyapper
08-20-2009, 06:40 PM
It is hilarious how the rachel crowd can talk out both sides of their mouth. On the one hand they have no doubt she can get 10 furlongs or further. On the other hand very time a race further than 9 furlongs comes up they want her to pass on it for a 9 furlong race because "she has nothing left to prove"

When it came to the belmont they said she had nothing left to prove and she would beat colts in the travers. Now she shouldn't run in the travers because she's already beaten colts so she should beat older horses at 9 furlongs.

If I were that confident in rachel getting the distance I would want her to prove it on the track not duck the race with some lame excuse about how she already proved this or that.

mostpost
08-20-2009, 06:45 PM
It is hilarious how the rachel crowd can talk out both sides of their mouth. On the one hand they have no doubt she can get 10 furlongs or further. On the other hand very time a race further than 9 furlongs comes up they want her to pass on it for a 9 furlong race because "she has nothing left to prove"

When it came to the belmont they said she had nothing left to prove and she would beat colts in the travers. Now she shouldn't run in the travers because she's already beaten colts so she should beat older horses at 9 furlongs.

If I were that confident in rachel getting the distance I would want her to prove it on the track not duck the race with some lame excuse about how she already proved this or that.
OK I want Rachel Alexandra to run in the Travers. I'll tell Jess when I see him :rolleyes:

Hanover1
08-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Rachel Alexamdra will have NO problem with 10 furlongs against colts. People were questioning Secretariat's ability to get a mile and a quarter before the 1973 Kentucky Derby. We saw how that turned out.
PA Derby imo is duckin.....G1 against females is breeze...older males would figure if conflict of interest keeps her out of Travers (or QR does...lol). There are always things in background going on that often dont come to light based on a need to know, as well. We could start another thread on that aspect alone....

ghostyapper
08-20-2009, 06:52 PM

Wow great point. Secretariat could get 10 furlongs so that automatically means rachel can get it. I guess she could have ran 12 furlongs in 2.24 as well. http://paceadvantage.com/forum/images/smilies/47.gif

Hanover1
08-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Wow great point. Secretariat could get 10 furlongs so that automatically means rachel can get it. I guess she could have ran 12 furlongs in 2.24 as well. http://paceadvantage.com/forum/images/smilies/47.gif
There are no automatics in this game. Never saw one. However she still has a few more things to do to be ranked up there with the top 3 of all time, but she makes a good case for moving on up that way. She is freakish in nature, and could very well uncork a monster effort, the likes we have not seen in awhile. That is the nature of many good ones. Setting stake records and such have already been accomplished, there is more........

depalma113
08-20-2009, 07:37 PM

jdl

:lol: Yeah, because she has been handled with kid gloves up until now.

bisket
08-20-2009, 07:47 PM
if i wanted to meet up with quality road at 1 1/4 mile this would probably be her best chance. coming into a classic race off a 6 1/2 fur prep is a tall order. if she doesn't take this opportunity it would make me wonder if they really think she could beat him.

Java Gold@TFT
08-20-2009, 07:54 PM
This comes from the guy who is already making excuses for MTB's eventual loss in the Travers becasue he had nearly meaningless surgery this week but Woolley says he's 100% back to normal. :lol: Lame excuses are the staple of life for MTB fans. Bad ride, bad ride, wrong track, wrong distance, too much pace up front, moved too soon, would have won if the race distance was another 100 yards... Someone call Dr. Carter, he needs to produce some more liver pills to keep up with the excuses.

ghostyapper
08-20-2009, 08:17 PM
This comes from the guy who is already making excuses for MTB's eventual loss in the Travers becasue he had nearly meaningless surgery this week but Woolley says he's 100% back to normal. :lol: Lame excuses are the staple of life for MTB fans. Bad ride, bad ride, wrong track, wrong distance, too much pace up front, moved too soon, would have won if the race distance was another 100 yards... Someone call Dr. Carter, he needs to produce some more liver pills to keep up with the excuses.

and lame excuses on why rachel shouldn't race here or there are the staple of rachel fans. Nothing left to prove at 10 furlongs for a horse who has yet to run at 10 furlongs. Amazing!!!

Hanover1
08-20-2009, 08:26 PM
and lame excuses on why rachel shouldn't race here or there are the staple of rachel fans. Nothing left to prove at 10 furlongs for a horse who has yet to run at 10 furlongs. Amazing!!!
Your wonder horse may not even start, yet Wooley claims hes 100%. Explain that yapper.........As far as Rachel goes, you wouldnt know a great filly if she walked right by you...... :lol: Looking at your threads, you just like to dis-agree to attract company it seems. Always on the attack...yet lacking in factual information from a horsemans perspective. Frustrated bettor who wishes he was a trainer perhaps??

PaceAdvantage
08-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Perhaps the secretive manner in wich she is being brought along at this time involves what we all are aware of. Jessies girl is vulnerable at 10f against colts.I laughed.

PaceAdvantage
08-20-2009, 08:33 PM
It is hilarious how the rachel crowd can talk out both sides of their mouth. On the one hand they have no doubt she can get 10 furlongs or further. On the other hand very time a race further than 9 furlongs comes up they want her to pass on it for a 9 furlong race because "she has nothing left to prove".Actually, what's hilarious is how the rachel detractors (of which I was one...sort of...after her oaks) have lost their bets each and every time...yet still have no problem coming up with newer and more hilarious theories on why she sucks.

What's next? Oh wait, I know...

If she doesn't go up to Woodbine on a cold fall day and dominate on the turf whilst running past the toteboard like a freight train with smoke coming out of her nostrils...well then...she's the worst filly of all time...end of story!

Hanover1
08-20-2009, 08:46 PM
I laughed.
And I suppose you have the answer why she has not hooked the colts at 10f yet?? (thought so....) IMO if she is allowed to mature as 4yr old and is sound, she will run all day and no-one will catch her,no-one.......

ghostyapper
08-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Your wonder horse may not even start, yet Wooley claims hes 100%. Explain that yapper.........As far as Rachel goes, you wouldnt know a great filly if she walked right by you...... :lol: Looking at your threads, you just like to dis-agree to attract company it seems. Always on the attack...yet lacking in factual information from a horsemans perspective. Frustrated bettor who wishes he was a trainer perhaps??

Please save the "insider" attitude you think you have. That attitude already made you look like a fool when you claimed in another thread that the bigger the horse the longer they can run. I think only kids have this opinion.

And in 1 thread you claim the surgery is nothing and its only an excuse in another thread you claim he should scratch because it can affect his breathing at any time

ghostyapper
08-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Actually, what's hilarious is how the rachel detractors (of which I was one...sort of...after her oaks) have lost their bets each and every time...yet still have no problem coming up with newer and more hilarious theories on why she sucks.

What's next? Oh wait, I know...

If she doesn't go up to Woodbine on a cold fall day and dominate on the turf whilst running past the toteboard like a freight train with smoke coming out of her nostrils...well then...she's the worst filly of all time...end of story!

Here we go with your exaggerations. No one is saying she is not great or shouldn't be the favorite in any race she runs in but I think it's ridiculous when people claim she has nothing left to prove when it comes to beating the colts in the travers. The top one's she's never faced and she still has not run in a 10 furlong race. Coincidentally the longest race of her career also happened to be her narrowest margin of defeat.

bisket
08-20-2009, 09:08 PM
being bigger certainly helps a horse going longer, but its not the be all. that little sucker coming like a freight train at the end always has a place in a route race. i certainly has worked for better talk now for years.

Tee
08-20-2009, 09:08 PM
How many 10 furlong races against the colts has she missed?

And I suppose you have the answer why she has not hooked the colts at 10f yet??

Hanover1
08-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Please save the "insider" attitude you think you have. That attitude already made you look like a fool when you claimed in another thread that the bigger the horse the longer they can run. I think only kids have this opinion.

And in 1 thread you claim the surgery is nothing and its only an excuse in another thread you claim he should scratch because it can affect his breathing at any time
I expected nothing less from you-a shallow response. You only consider your opinion and not what others have to say-its not just me, you do it to others a well. Sarcasm and negative posts show little class. A sore throat is nothing, yet children stay home from school as result, yet you surely cant see the analogy. Nowhere did I state that "the bigger a horse, the longer they run". You have yet again twisted my comments with switching of words and omissions to suit your agenda-for that reason alone my friend-we sir, are finished. Enjoy your lonely life. Its not an attitude, its a life-a life you know very little about except thru a newspaper and standing in line at the $2.00 window. I LIVED on the track for many years-and you???????

ghostyapper
08-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Yup you know you've got the best of someone when discussing horses when they break out the psycho analysis how you are a terrible person and they are wonderful. Enjoy the rest of your life "living on the track"

Hanover1
08-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Yup you know you've got the best of someone when discussing horses when they break out the psycho analysis how you are a terrible person and they are wonderful. Enjoy the rest of your life "living on the track" Looks like I opened up a junk folder...hate it when that happens.

mostpost
08-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Thank you for your kind wor....w a i t a m i n u t e. You were being sarcastic.......weren't you. :confused: :confused: :confused:

mostpost
08-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Could someone please explain the certainty that Rachel Alexandra cannot run 10 furlongs and win against colts. Her breeding strongly suggests she can. DI of 1.55..CD of .43. Her sire, Medaglia de Oro won the Travers, finished second in the Breeders Cup classic twice, and in the Dubai Cup. He also finished second in the Belmont Stakes at one and one half miles. Rachel Alexandra hs the running style to get a distance. She is tractable and relaxes nicely during a race.

I know that some here are basing their opinion on the Preakness in which MTB was closing at the wire. IMO that was not a good indicator. She only had two weeks between races, but more important the decision to run in the Preakness was made late. They really didn't have a chance to train her as they should. I think the Haskell was a better indicator. She won in near track record time and, if you watched the gallup out, she was still pulling Borel on the backstretch after the race.

Some people pride themselves on being skeptics. They won't believe it can be done until it is done. Fine, when you're handicapping, but when expressing an opinion...........

cj
08-20-2009, 11:29 PM
The very fast pace in the Preakness was what enabled Mine That Bird to close in late. The fact he couldn't get her makes her even more impressive to me than some of those huge wins.

Hanover1
08-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Could someone please explain the certainty that Rachel Alexandra cannot run 10 furlongs and win against colts. Her breeding strongly suggests she can. DI of 1.55..CD of .43. Her sire, Medaglia de Oro won the Travers, finished second in the Breeders Cup classic twice, and in the Dubai Cup. He also finished second in the Belmont Stakes at one and one half miles. Rachel Alexandra hs the running style to get a distance. She is tractable and relaxes nicely during a race.

I know that some here are basing their opinion on the Preakness in which MTB was closing at the wire. IMO that was not a good indicator. She only had two weeks between races, but more important the decision to run in the Preakness was made late. They really didn't have a chance to train her as they should. I think the Haskell was a better indicator. She won in near track record time and, if you watched the gallup out, she was still pulling Borel on the backstretch after the race.

Some people pride themselves on being skeptics. They won't believe it can be done until it is done. Fine, when you're handicapping, but when expressing an opinion...........
IMO if not rushed to next start, she indeed runs all day but may have company. QR is on a tall mission from hot 6-1/2f to wiring them in Travers, but Fla Derby shows he is real. Only knock is 2nd out after layoff may not be his best route effort-if RA wants some of that, now would be the time, not when QR is tighter. I believe she will uncork one for the ages, its just a question of when and where.

Hanover1
08-20-2009, 11:48 PM
How many 10 furlong races against the colts has she missed?
They run routs at 10f every week-G1/G2/G3 all over the country. If it were a matter of proving something to someone, she would have been in the box already, somewhere......her time will come.

Hanover1
08-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Yup you know you've got the best of someone when discussing horses when they break out the psycho analysis how you are a terrible person and they are wonderful. Enjoy the rest of your life "living on the track"
The best of me is reserved for folks that rate well...you are out of hand. Very sour, rank, cant rate, and ill mannered. Plenty like that in claiming ranks..

Tee
08-21-2009, 01:53 AM
In what country does this take place? Sure isn't the United States.

They run routs at 10f every week-G1/G2/G3 all over the country.

Hanover1
08-21-2009, 04:17 AM
In what country does this take place? Sure isn't the United States.
Have you ever looked a a condition book? Ever owned one? DRF or local newspaper only give you 1 or 2 days of information, so its hard for you to see upcoming races at any meet-most trainers have several condition books at one time allowing them to pick a race to suit his horse at any time-including 10f races. They are not some novelty/rare race, ran all the time. A trainer can even get a race written for him if needed, and race secretary feels box will fill. This includes 10f races. They in no hurry to rach RA at 10f-shes tons the best wherever she goes at this point-her time will come. Not talking cheap overnight racetrack. Horsae may have to ship, but 10f race is found if needeed.

Java Gold@TFT
08-21-2009, 05:30 AM
Coincidentally the longest race of her career also happened to be her narrowest margin of defeat.
It's called a margin of VICTORY. Margins of defeat are what MTB sees in his chart. :lol:

Java Gold@TFT
08-21-2009, 05:54 AM
They run routs at 10f every week-G1/G2/G3 all over the country. If it were a matter of proving something to someone, she would have been in the box already, somewhere......her time will come.
Since your premise is that these Graded stakes are run all of the time please list the 10F graded stakes races you think she should have run in so far. Leave out everything before the Derby. Jackson didn't have her and her previous owner wasn't going to run her in a G-I against colts for his own reasons. Leave out the turf races for older males and synth races like the Big Cap. I'll help jumpstart your list:

#1 Coaching Club American Oaks
#2 The Suburban
#3 Delaware H.?
#4, ummm, your turn now

Did you want her to run in the Donn? The DWC doesn't meet your premise about running in the states. I'll even be generous and let you include the Belmont in your list even if it wasn't at 10F. Maybe she should have run in that 2 mile marathon at Saratoga last week but it wasn't a graded stakes. I can't remember another race so far this year at the Spa (her base of operations) that was longer than 9F that wasn't on the turf or a steeplechase. Now, there's an idea. If she is so great she should be able to run 2 3/8ths miles over jumps. Damn Jess for keeping her from proving her greatness!

ghostyapper
08-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Since your premise is that these Graded stakes are run all of the time please list the 10F graded stakes races you think she should have run in so far. Leave out everything before the Derby. Jackson didn't have her and her previous owner wasn't going to run her in a G-I against colts for his own reasons. Leave out the turf races for older males and synth races like the Big Cap. I'll help jumpstart your list:

#1 Coaching Club American Oaks
#2 The Suburban
#3 Delaware H.?
#4, ummm, your turn now

Did you want her to run in the Donn? The DWC doesn't meet your premise about running in the states. I'll even be generous and let you include the Belmont in your list even if it wasn't at 10F. Maybe she should have run in that 2 mile marathon at Saratoga last week but it wasn't a graded stakes. I can't remember another race so far this year at the Spa (her base of operations) that was longer than 9F that wasn't on the turf or a steeplechase. Now, there's an idea. If she is so great she should be able to run 2 3/8ths miles over jumps. Damn Jess for keeping her from proving her greatness!

Then run in the travers. Don't give us crap about having nothing to prove against colts or how her connections already have a runner in there that needs the race for breeding prospects.

Nikki1997
08-21-2009, 09:26 AM

You're partially right. However, people weren't questioning Secretariat's ability to get 1 1/4, they were questioning his ability to get the Belmont distance of 1 1/2 miles, because he was by Bold Ruler and no BR had gotten that distance. By the time these questions came up, he'd already established the Derby record, which does still stand. I find it absolutely absurd to have Rachel's name and Secretariat's name in the same sentence. As nice as she is, he'd smash her heart to pieces. Being a fan of a horse is a large part of racing, but let's not go from the sublime to the ridiculous.

11cashcall
08-21-2009, 09:28 AM
For an all time great they are very secretive with her campaign. Definitely not a "come and get me" attitude.

Something's amiss imo.When i first read that their waiting on a couple of things,i thought ok maybe the RA vs Zen. race but Jackson ruled that out.

In more than one article JJ mentions Phil. Park as as possibility. :sleeping:

In anycase i 'll looking at the sheets very closely.

Java Gold@TFT
08-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Then run in the travers. Don't give us crap about having nothing to prove against colts or how her connections already have a runner in there that needs the race for breeding prospects.
If you could actually read someone else's comments you would see that Hanover said that she should already have run at 10F by now. He said there were graded stakes carded throughout the country at this distance and she should have been enterred in one BEFORE now. Butt out of conversations that don't involve your own posts.

And keeping kensei away from Rachel is a very wise decision. Look at how long Mrs. Tweedy kept Riva Ridge away from Secretariat. She loved Riva more than any horse she ever had and didn't want him to be embarrassed by facing Secretariat. She finally gave in and Riva ran a great race in the Marlboro Cup but he was no match for his stablemate. There is a lot more upside to racing Kensei in the Travers and Rachel in the Woodward. Go back to worrying about MTB's throat surgery.

jonnielu
08-21-2009, 10:17 AM

Your first paragraph accurately describes the natural running style of a female horse, while there are always exceptions to point at, females generally run more evenly than males do. Rachel runs like a girl with speed.

Generally, the faster a horse runs early, the slower the horse runs late. Period.

It appears that Rachel is able to run 9f evenly, a strong start, a strong finish, good balance.

Beyond 9f, the strong finish deteriorates according to the speed of the first 4f. It is how fast do they run, plus how do they run fast = win/lose.

jdl

ghostyapper
08-21-2009, 10:29 AM
out of conversations that don't involve your own posts.

What was that about butting out of conversations that don't involve your own posts?

It's called a margin of VICTORY. Margins of defeat are what MTB sees in his chart. :lol:

I don't remember you being in that conversation but decided to comment anyway.

This is a public message board. Try Private messaging if you don't want people to show the flaws and stupidity in your posts. You downplay any excuses for MTB but when it comes to rachel you make some of the lamest excuses for her not tackling a 10 furlong race. Yea keep saying she can get the distance but keep ducking the races. If she ducks the travers there will be a new excuse on why she shouldn't run in the JCGC and on and on.

Nikki1997
08-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Article from Claire Novak:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/blog?post=4412412

FenceBored
08-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Article from Claire Novak:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/blog?post=4412412

Ah yes, that piece of drivel. "I drank the [Jackson as sportsman] Kool-Aid."
You're not supposed to drink the Kool-Aid! :bang:

And that ain't the only Kool-Aid she's been drinking.
Woolley answers his phone on the way to and from the hospital. He lets us into the barn when he gets back to talk about what happened. He repeats the information in countless interviews.

In short, he's a sportsman. He understands the trust he owes to the racing industry. He understands that the racing media is a vital (if ever-shrinking) part of the game.

'Chip Woolley understands that the catering to the media's every whim is the most important thing he has to do. As for that Asmussen fellow, you know, he once asked ME to move out of the way so some groom could feed a horse. ME!'

I think the next 50 times Steve Asmussen has a 2 yr old pop a splint he needs to call Claire and give a detailed explanation of how he thinks it occured, what his treatment options are going to be and what that may mean for the animal's prospects of running in the Donn as a 5 yr old. How long do you think it would be before she stops picking up the phone when she sees it's him?

Self important little grumble grumble grumble.

Java Gold@TFT
08-21-2009, 11:56 AM
One less excuse for MTB to lose again:

SARATOGA SPRINGS — It looks as athough Mine That Bird’s problems are behind him. The Kentucky Derby winner was back on the main track Friday morning showing no ill effects from minor surgery he had earlier in the week to correct a breathing problem.

“Right now, he is as good as he has ever been at any point in time, including before the Kentucky Derby,” trainer Chip Woolley said at the stakes barn Friday morning. “In my mind, the Travers is absolutely a go.”

Mine That Bird had surgery to rfelieve an entrapped epiglottis Tuesday morning on Long Island. Woolley had said that he would not run the gelding in the Travers unless he was 100 percent recovered and it looks like that is what he has so far. Mine That Bird galloped over the main track with exercise rider George Smith on his back.

Before he went out on the track, Mine That Bird was scoped by veterinarian James Hunt before he went on the track and it came back clean.

“Doc said he looked super,” Woolley said. “He just looks perfect. We tracked him and he tracked great … he was bucking and playing. I’m very happy with him.”

Mine That Bird will work on Tuesday and Woolley said he will be scoped again before entries are taken for the $1 million Travers on Wednesday.

Java Gold@TFT
08-21-2009, 11:58 AM
I don't remember you being in that conversation but decided to comment anyway.

Sometimes it's just difficult to remain silent when someone doesn't know the difference between victory and defeat yet bets money on horses.

Grits
08-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Fencebored, you should only wish you had this woman's writing skill. Clearly, few of us do.

Not a thing about the piece is drivel. She's dead on the money. This "let 'em wait" thing lost its charm quite a long time ago. Period. And the whining about purses shows further what Mr.Jackson is more concerned about.

He and Asmussen's line . . . . "the horse will tell us" . . . . is another load of junk as well. And everyone, by now, is becoming able to see it, exactly, for what it is. Regardless, who ducks her, or how large a field size he wants--all of which is secondary. As was noted several weeks ago, somehow, if his high profile is not in the headlines, he will begin to advance the circumstances in such a way, as to make sure the central focus comes back to himself and his horses. Asmussen, a fine trainer, no doubt. He can talk to 'em all he wants, via his horse whispering or whatever the hell moves him. But last I heard, not a damn one of 'em have answered him back.

Everyone was so appreciative of Mr.Sportsman where Curlin was concerned, running in his four year old year. It was so wonderful of him. But, with the legal problems surrounding Curlin's ownership at the time, Mr.Sportsman didn't have a whole helluva lot of choice. What was he gonna do, divide stud fees, and future earnings with fen fen's class action bandwagon? Certainly! Like when pigs fly!

There's not anything FUN about putting people on hold, I don't care if you're a fan, a bettor, or the media. The media has every right to be complaining here. They have a job to do while Mr.Sportsman's hanging out, holding court from his box seat at Saratoga.

The last couple of paragraphs of the story say more than enough.

"It's fun to have the speculation," Jackson told the Albany Times-Union today, after he said he's taken so long to make the decision because he wants to make sure the filly is really fit when she goes.

Trust me, the filly is fit. If she wasn't, trainer Steve Asmussen would be out of a job. And this beating around the bush, holding out for the best offer, making racetracks scramble to enhance purses or build special races or get creative on terms and conditions is indicative of only two things -- self interest and power play.

WinterTriangle
08-21-2009, 12:54 PM
She will meet up with Quality Road some day.

quality road is an unproven entity as of now.

If Rachel is *the best* then why not race her against the best?

I'm thinking something in the caliber of Goldikova, another front running gal (who Zarkava blew away like she was passing something standing still;) ) or Sea the Stars, etc.

I can appreciate Jackson won't run her on sythn, but what about grass?

Why can't she run in the Filly & Mare Turf, the Mile ?

Java Gold@TFT
08-21-2009, 01:25 PM

I'm thinking something in the caliber of Goldikova, another front running gal (who Zarkava blew away like she was passing something standing still;) ) or Sea the Stars, etc.

Winter Triangle, no offense intended to you. You seem to think through things more than some others. My question is why Rachel is held to this standard of beating evry horse in the country at any distance or on any surface she hasn't already done so?

Zenyatta has won 12 races in her life - 8 of them have been at 8.5F and 3 of them at 9F. Why not continually ask why she won't face males at 10F? Is Moss protecting HER from a loss? I don't think Goldikova has ever won a race over one mile. For Rachel to prove herself does she have to go to the BC Mile to face a specialist at the distance? Rachel should then also be able to prove herself by winning the BC Sprint next year. Maybe Munnngs and Big Drama, Fabulus Strike and Zensational could all come back to see if she can beat them at their specialty. Of course she should also show up to face Gio Ponti in the Turf Classic at Belmont this fall.

My question is this: where does it all end? If she ran in the Alabama and won at 10F it wouldn't be good enough because we all know she can beat 3yo fillies. If she runs in the Personal Ensign and beats older mares at 10F it won't be good enough because it wasn't against males. If she beats older males in the Woodward it wouldn't be good enough because it's at 9F. If she shows up and wins the Beldame against older mares it won't be good enough because Zenyatta will run in the Lady's Secret. If she would go to the F&M BC Turf and beat the best turf mares in the country it wouldn't be good enough because Goldikova was in the Mile instead. If she won the BC Turf at 12F it wouldn't be good enough because Gio Ponti and Sea The Stars were in the Classic on the synth. Finally, if she does run in the Travers and beats Quality Road at 10F would that shut up her detractors? I highly doubt it.

Quality Road and Kensei are both nominated to the King's Bishop. Does anyone think they are a ducking a loss to Big Drama or Munnings? They have both already proven they can win sprints so why not go there for a G-I win? Maybe MTB and Summer Bird should go there too. They haven't proven that they can win a race under one mile this year. Yet,Rachel has to PROVE something every time while others don't. I just don't get it. All she does is win whereevr she goes but somehow that's not good enough for some people.

Hanover1
08-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Fencebored, you should only wish you had this woman's writing skill. Clearly, few of us do.

Not a thing about the piece is drivel. She's dead on the money. This "let 'em wait" thing lost its charm quite a long time ago. Period. And the whining about purses shows further what Mr.Jackson is more concerned about.

He and Asmussen's line . . . . "the horse will tell us" . . . . is another load of junk as well. And everyone, by now, is becoming able to see it, exactly, for what it is. Regardless, who ducks her, or how large a field size he wants--all of which is secondary. As was noted several weeks ago, somehow, if his high profile is not in the headlines, he will begin to advance the circumstances in such a way, as to make sure the central focus comes back to himself and his horses. Asmussen, a fine trainer, no doubt. He can talk to 'em all he wants, via his horse whispering or whatever the hell moves him. But last I heard, not a damn one of 'em have answered him back.

Everyone was so appreciative of Mr.Sportsman where Curlin was concerned, running in his four year old year. It was so wonderful of him. But, with the legal problems surrounding Curlin's ownership at the time, Mr.Sportsman didn't have a whole helluva lot of choice. What was he gonna do, divide stud fees, and future earnings with fen fen's class action bandwagon? Certainly! Like when pigs fly!

There's not anything FUN about putting people on hold, I don't care if you're a fan, a bettor, or the media. The media has every right to be complaining here. They have a job to do while Mr.Sportsman's hanging out, holding court from his box seat at Saratoga.

"It's fun to have the speculation," Jackson told the Albany Times-Union today, after he said he's taken so long to make the decision because he wants to make sure the filly is really fit when she goes.

Trust me, the filly is fit. If she wasn't, trainer Steve Asmussen would be out of a job. And this beating around the bush, holding out for the best offer, making racetracks scramble to enhance purses or build special races or get creative on terms and conditions is indicative of only two things -- self interest and power play.
I guess Carl Nazger with Unbridled and Street Sense is full of junk too??? He is one of the most respected and unpretentious horsemen in this game, yet that is EXACTLY his response when asked what future plans were for either colt following a race. He said that because the statement has meaning....such as how day to day operations go with the horse, and this includes the whims of owners. "We will let the horse tell us"" is an OLD phrase, and it serves well. And yes, you too would be asked to get out of the way in my shed whenever you stepped in the way of how thing were done. Not smart enough to stand in the right spot in the shed (there are many bad spots actually) calls for a correction......as far as the rest of your "dribble", you are just looking at how the game has been played forever-stick to the windows, and let the boys take care of the business....slamming it is not showing any support to a sport you complain is failing......

Hanover1
08-21-2009, 03:15 PM

I guess you missed the Fla Derby and Fountain of Youth at Gulfstream this spring. He was unproven then I suppose, or was it still winter in the triangle?? QR is a question mark but WELL proven........part of this game is patience. I say yet again-her time will come.......

FenceBored
08-21-2009, 04:13 PM

Skill?! :eek: Skill!? :faint: Son, I'll give you writing skills.

"I saw silvery-haired old ladies, their faces bright and shining, fairly shivering with joy. I saw old men with weather-beaten faces leaning forward breathlessly, eyes glowing fiercely and lips moving. I saw exultant looking citizens, standing with fists hard lifted to the sky, as if trying to drive them through unseen opposition overhead. I heard their voices booming. I saw beautiful girls, flushed, disheveled with excitement and nervous agitation, their delicate fingers clutching, ther voices shrilling. Now then, you may say a horse race is a mighty little thing to produce all this fuss. If you say that, you do not understand."

-- Damon Runyon
Now that, Grits, is a real column writer's writing skill.

Miss Novak's column is a breakup letter from a high school girl. She's miffed because this guy she has a crush on isn't paying her the kind of attention she wants. Chip Woolley takes or returns her phone calls. Chip Woolley talks to press people on the phone on his way to and from taking his best horse for a surgical procedure. Chip Woolley invites the press to the barn right after he and the horse get back to Saratoga. Chip Woolley really understands ME, oh I'm sorry I mean the importance of the media and thus the importance of keeping them, and thereby the public, informed of the smallest details of his famous charge's life.

Her old boyfriend, Jess Jackson? Well, he's just not doing it for her anymore. Here she thought he was different. Here she thought he was special. But, he's not. He's only in it for the attention and the money! :( He wasn't like this when he was keeping everyone guessing last year about where he was going to run Curlin next. Then it was exciting and new, now its just not the same. He's teasing her, and she doesn't want to be teased anymore.

Add in the typical media person's inflated sense of self-importance --

Now let's talk about how Jackson has still not announced plans for his filly's next start -- or the completely ridiculous fact that reporters (and the public) had to wait for the overnight to come out to discover she would not be starting in Saturday's Alabama ...
-- and we've reached the pinnacle of pique. Wow!:faint: Reporters actually had to wait for the overnight to see who was in a race. They've never had to do that before. Clearly the apocalypse is nigh.

Yes, Mr. Jackson is playing the tracks off against each other. Yes, Mr. Jackson is trying to boost the purses of the races Rachel runs. Yes, Mr. Jackson is playing psychological games with the press, his competitors amongst the owners, and anybody else who'll let him. Does this mean he is not a 'sportsman?' No, it doesn't. It just means that there might be more than one 'sport' he pursuing.

Java Gold@TFT
08-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Just curious, has Mine That Bird been committed to the Travers yet? Seems like Woolley and the owners won't commit to anything yet. Woolley says the horse is perect and the vet thinks so too but the owners say they still aren't sure. Until the race is drawn on wednesday who hasn't hedged their bets? Summer Bird and Charitable Man's handlers have hedged on enterring if Rachel will be there too. So, I guess everything would just be all nice and cozy if Jess would just tell the rest of the chickens where Rachel will be on the 29th so they can change plans if necessary. :bang:

Grits
08-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Hanover, you've wised off at the wrong woman, literally. I don't care whether you train thoroughbreds or a flea circus--I beg your pardon. I haven't said a single word about standing in the wrong place in a barn; I've been under enough shedrows to know better. I wouldn't blame a trainer for asking me to move if I made such a mistake. Not for a minute. If I were cowkicked while his horses were being cooled out, I figure he'd be the first to assume I'd want to sue him. So, no, I've never gotten in anyone's way in a barn. Sorry, wrong poster, sir.

Let me add too. You're arriving at this particular website like a backwoods hick with your constant insults. Confident, knowledgable behavior coming from a successful horse trainer? Hiding behind a keyboard is quite easy, and can promote ill manner in all form, if we choose such. Obviously, you have. OK . . . . whatever lights up your board.

Now that your error's cleared up from this end on who posted what, there's not a trainer in the country that I have more regard for--as a horseman--than Steve Asmussen. Wins, training titles Eclipse awards, positives and court battles, all included. I think he's one of the best!!

For some time now, I and most of the country have been in awe of this filly. As I asked you in another thread--if stating the obvious in her day to day well being, her works, her fitness, etc.--as has been the custom since she moved to Steve's barn, WHO or WHAT is the problem with putting everyone on hold while they make their decisons? If those decisions aren't boiling down to "who jumps through the most hoops, and at the best price?"

Everyone involved in the sport--horses, trainers and owners, racetracks, bettors, fans, and finally, the GENERAL PUBLIC who doesn't follow it PERIOD, but is keenly interested in learning more about this filly, seeing, maybe for the first time, such a fine racehorse step on a racetrack--we all wait these days on Mr.Sportsman.

For the longest time, I didn't hesitate to clearly state, "its his horse, he can run her wherever he wants. He's paying the bills.

At this point, its gone well beyond whose paying the bills, AND ITS MORE THAN OBVIOUS WHAT MR.SPORTSMAN'S ABOUT.

Blame Asmussen, no, not for a minute. The old dude's running the show. And he's got this one well inhand.

I may be weary and uncomfortable with Mr.Sportsman, and didn't mind stating so. You, though, are making a fool of yourself by attacking everyone here who posts their opinions. I don't care what you do for a living, whether you train horses or bag damn groceries--you have poor manners.

And the only dribble I'm aware of exists on a basketball court

I guess Carl Nazger with Unbridled and Street Sense is full of junk too??? He is one of the most respected and unpretentious horsemen in this game, yet that is EXACTLY his response when asked what future plans were for either colt following a race. He said that because the statement has meaning....such as how day to day operations go with the horse, and this includes the whims of owners. "We will let the horse tell us"" is an OLD phrase, and it serves well. And yes, you too would be asked to get out of the way in my shed whenever you stepped in the way of how thing were done. Not smart enough to stand in the right spot in the shed (there are many bad spots actually) calls for a correction......as far as the rest of your "dribble", you are just looking at how the game has been played forever-stick to the windows, and let the boys take care of the business....slamming it is not showing any support to a sport you complain is failing......

Grits
08-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Skill?! :eek: Skill!? :faint: Son, I'll give you writing skills.

"I saw silvery-haired old ladies, their faces bright and shining, fairly shivering with joy. I saw old men with weather-beaten faces leaning forward breathlessly, eyes glowing fiercely and lips moving. I saw exultant looking citizens, standing with fists hard lifted to the sky, as if trying to drive them through unseen opposition overhead. I heard their voices booming. I saw beautiful girls, flushed, disheveled with excitement and nervous agitation, their delicate fingers clutching, ther voices shrilling. Now then, you may say a horse race is a mighty little thing to produce all this fuss. If you say that, you do not understand."

-- Damon Runyon

Now that, Grits, is a real column writer's writing skill.

Miss Novak's column is a breakup letter from a high school girl. She's miffed because this guy she has a crush on isn't paying her the kind of attention she wants. Chip Woolley takes or returns her phone calls. Chip Woolley talks to press people on the phone on his way to and from taking his best horse for a surgical procedure. Chip Woolley invites the press to the barn right after he and the horse get back to Saratoga. Chip Woolley really understands ME, oh I'm sorry I mean the importance of the media and thus the importance of keeping them, and thereby the public, informed of the smallest details of his famous charge's life.

Her old boyfriend, Jess Jackson? Well, he's just not doing it for her anymore. Here she thought he was different. Here she thought he was special. But, he's not. He's only in it for the attention and the money! :( He wasn't like this when he was keeping everyone guessing last year about where he was going to run Curlin next. Then it was exciting and new, now its just not the same. He's teasing her, and she doesn't want to be teased anymore.

Add in the typical media person's inflated sense of self-importance --

Now let's talk about how Jackson has still not announced plans for his filly's next start -- or the completely ridiculous fact that reporters (and the public) had to wait for the overnight to come out to discover she would not be starting in Saturday's Alabama ...

-- and we've reached the pinnacle of pique. Wow!:faint: Reporters actually had to wait for the overnight to see who was in a race. They've never had to do that before. Clearly the apocalypse is nigh.

Yes, Mr. Jackson is playing the tracks off against each other. Yes, Mr. Jackson is trying to boost the purses of the races Rachel runs. Yes, Mr. Jackson is playing psychological games with the press, his competitors amongst the owners, and anybody else who'll let him. Does this mean he is not a 'sportsman?' No, it doesn't. It just means that there might be more than one 'sport' he pursuing.

Fencebored, how on earth did you get all of this out of one sentence?

Claire Novak is a reporter, a journalist. A good and quite respected one. The drama in your post should be fully ignored. Its a real stretch. One that could only be equalled by Damon Runyon himself, whose style and strong suit, as obvious as your post, was the theater. Broadway in particular. LOLOL

depalma113
08-21-2009, 05:10 PM

No they don't.

FenceBored
08-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Fencebored, how on earth did you get all of this out of one sentence?

Claire Novak is a reporter, a journalist. A good and quite respected one. The drama in your post should be fully ignored. Its a real stretch. One that could only be equalled by Damon Runyon himself, whose style and strong suit, as obvious as your post, was the theater. Broadway in particular. LOLOL

I didn't "get all this out of one sentence." I got it from reading all of her column. You might try that sometime. She's hurt, she's angry, and it's as much about not having her 'perogatives' as a press person catered to as it is about the horse.

Steve R
08-21-2009, 06:38 PM

No they don't.

You're right, they don't. In 2008 there were only 13 graded races at 10f not on turf and only two of those were not G1 and only three were for three-year-olds exclusively. So far in 2009 there have been seven such races.

Hanover1
08-21-2009, 09:09 PM
You're right, they don't. In 2008 there were only 13 graded races at 10f not on turf and only two of those were not G1 and only three were for three-year-olds exclusively. So far in 2009 there have been seven such races.
there are either none or there are some-you cant have it both ways-lets count now-by your numbers=thats 1 a month, not to mention getting one written for you at any time by race secretary when situation is right. So since there is not one literally every week at your track-you assume that someone must be mistaken, and she cannot get a race at 10f.......shes had her chances, and will again-just enjoy the show and dont make it your life-you will go broke.

Hanover1
08-21-2009, 09:26 PM

You quoted Steve as saying "The horse will tell us" and called it a load of junk, and stated that his "horse whispering" has resulted in not a one of them talking back yet, yet you are suddenly his ardent fan. A backwoods hick?? A classy statement from a frustrated person who finds herself defending her statements to someone she clearly doesnt even know. Jackson is doing exactly what this sport needs, and that is garner attention-it certainly got yours........relax and enjoy the show, leave the hate and discontent at the gate. I would refrain from childish namecalling on public forums, it shows a little to much of both.

WinterTriangle
08-21-2009, 09:39 PM
My question is why Rachel is held to this standard of beating evry horse in the country at any distance or on any surface....?

My question is this: where does it all end? .

Java, I should have been more tongue in cheek.

That's why I brought in Sea the Stars and Goldikova. ;) I was trying to slip that in sort of as a point to show how it doesn't end.

I have no problem with horses having their *specialties*.

After the TC, I engaged in some of the sports 'trash talking'. Eh. The nature of racing these days, owners/trainers, conditions....there's so much more going on than just reducing it to "he/she is avoiding such-and-such".

I've seen both Rachel and Zenyatta at Oaklawn (her race outside of CA...how lucky am i????). They are both phenoms. As is Goldikova. As was Zarkava.

Do you have to beat the boys, and in a big field, or the GREAT boys, and then we get into the circular argument about who they are, blah blah

Grits
08-21-2009, 10:32 PM
........relax and enjoy the show

I think, honestly, all of us dumb and addictive gamblers are gonna be able to easily relax and enjoy the show--the more you type.

Welcome to Pace Advantage, Hanover1.

ghostyapper
08-21-2009, 11:01 PM
I would refrain from childish namecalling on public forums, it shows a little to much of both.

Coming from this poster I find this statement hilarious http://paceadvantage.com/forum/images/smilies/47.gif

Since joining the forum this month that's all he's done

Hanover1
08-21-2009, 11:27 PM
I think, honestly, all of us dumb and addictive gamblers are gonna be able to easily relax and enjoy the show--the more you type.

Welcome to Pace Advantage, Hanover1.
Thank you, its been quite a ride thus far.......Somewhat like a B track at times-a little crowding now and then, but mostly fair game.

Hanover1
08-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Coming from this poster I find this statement hilarious http://paceadvantage.com/forum/images/smilies/47.gif

Since joining the forum this month that's all he's done
Seems I keep opening this junk file....must delete.

depalma113
08-22-2009, 03:52 AM
there are either none or there are some-you cant have it both ways-lets count now-by your numbers=thats 1 a month, not to mention getting one written for you at any time by race secretary when situation is right. So since there is not one literally every week at your track-you assume that someone must be mistaken, and she cannot get a race at 10f.......shes had her chances, and will again-just enjoy the show and dont make it your life-you will go broke.

Please explain how the racing secretary can write a Graded Stakes race?

Java Gold@TFT
08-22-2009, 04:01 AM
Java, I should have been more tongue in cheek.

That's why I brought in Sea the Stars and Goldikova. ;) I was trying to slip that in sort of as a point to show how it doesn't end.

I have no problem with horses having their *specialties*.

After the TC, I engaged in some of the sports 'trash talking'. Eh. The nature of racing these days, owners/trainers, conditions....there's so much more going on than just reducing it to "he/she is avoiding such-and-such".

I've seen both Rachel and Zenyatta at Oaklawn (her race outside of CA...how lucky am i????). They are both phenoms. As is Goldikova. As was Zarkava.

Do you have to beat the boys, and in a big field, or the GREAT boys, and then we get into the circular argument about who they are, blah blah
Sorry WT, sometimes I can't read the sarcasm in written statements. It helps to see someone roll their eyes in person when they say things. It's just that some people here really do believe some of the things I asked about. Nothing will ever be good enough to please THEM.

bisket
08-22-2009, 09:50 AM
with rachels style of running it would out of the ordinary for her to get 1 1/4 mile with grade 1 colts. the same goes for quality road, but these two haven't blinked yet. lets see how things play out. i'm starting to think with both rachel and quality running i wonder if summer bird may just be a good valu because the race may just fall into his lap. one thing to keep in mind is quality has yet to show he'll rate off other horses. he has shown he wants to be lead stallion at all times in his races. thats gonna leave borel in a tough spot because i'm sure he's gonna be wondering if quality gets out there if he'll ever come back to the others before the finish. things could get out of hand?

Hanover1
08-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Please explain how the racing secretary can write a Graded Stakes race?
Its called "winners over" conditions-YOU said Graded stake, I did not. Just like writing a match race-are they graded??-no........

Steve R
08-22-2009, 02:22 PM

??? In the context of your statement that "they run routs at 10f every week-G1/G2/G3 all over the country, your response makes no sense at all, at least to me. Once a month on average is not a G1/G2/G3 every week all over the country. Besides, what's so magical about a 10f dirt race? This year's 10f dirt/AWS winners so far (Dry Martini, Einstein, Funny Moon, Marchfield, Mine That Bird, Rail Trip, Swift Temper) aren't exactly breaking down the doors of the Racing HoF.

bisket
08-22-2009, 06:31 PM
there really wasn't an appropriate race for rachel to run at 1 1/4 miles since she was purchased by jackson. the 1 1/4 mile races that have been run were for older horses. its not really appropriate to run a 3 year old filly or colt against older horses until the fall. thats why after september; grade 1 3 year old only stakes aren't available. before california started running the strub series there wasn't any available. the travers was always the last chance for the 3 year olds to sort themselves out before running against older horses. in addition maiden and allowances restricted to 3 year olds aren't available for the most part past september also. usually august is there graduation date to run with their elders.

FenceBored
08-22-2009, 07:26 PM
there really wasn't an appropriate race for rachel to run at 1 1/4 miles since she was purchased by jackson. the 1 1/4 mile races that have been run were for older horses. its not really appropriate to run a 3 year old filly or colt against older horses until the fall. thats why after september; grade 1 3 year old only stakes aren't available. before california started running the strub series there wasn't any available. the travers was always the last chance for the 3 year olds to sort themselves out before running against older horses. in addition maiden and allowances restricted to 3 year olds aren't available for the most part past september also. usually august is there graduation date to run with their elders.

So, did you see the Alabama today. It was a really good race. I thought Careless Jewel did a fine job winning a Grade 1 for 3 yr old fillies at 1 1/4 miles. Don't Forget Gil and Funny Moon both disappointed. After finishing 2nd and 1st respectively in the G1 CCA Oaks at 1 1/4 miles just last month. The Canadian invader Milwaukee Appeal tried her best, but nobody racing with her was touching Careless Jewel at 1 1/4 miles today.

bisket
08-22-2009, 11:14 PM
she doesn't have anything to prove against that crowd. its the ensign at 1 1/4 mile or travers. she needs to run against older fillies and mares or the colts at 1 1/4 miles to improve her resume.

RXB
08-23-2009, 01:06 AM
its not really appropriate to run a 3 year old filly or colt against older horses until the fall.

This year's older male horses are quite possibly the weakest group that I've ever seen. At 9f, in the Woodward, I can't see why she wouldn't beat them. She's clearly faster.

There's more money in the Travers, though, and of course most people really don't care about older horse races anyway. It's all about the 3YO's now. A match-up against Quality Road is what the public wants, and at least he's a real runner, although I'm not sure that he's truly ready yet for 10f. We'll see if the filly's connections go for it.

bisket
08-23-2009, 01:25 AM
older horses in both the ladies and mens are both weak. except for zen. i'm just saying you can't really critisize jackson for the races he's picked. i think they've done a good job picking rachel's spots. if they choose the travers it'll actually be gambling if you place a bet on her. if they choose to go in the ensign i don't think thats really a poor choice because rachel has to beat the older mares that will most likely race against zen in the cup. its nice to race and beat the colts, but to get hoy she has to first establish dominance in her division. she's yet to race and defeat older mares to show she's just as dominant in this division as zen. imop she's realisitically has 2 more races for her this year. one should against older mares.

Robert Goren
08-23-2009, 02:47 AM
I don't think he is worried about any thing here. Stuff from across the pond, now thats a different story. Just my opinion.

depalma113
08-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Its called "winners over" conditions-YOU said Graded stake, I did not. Just like writing a match race-are they graded??-no........

You're the person who claimed they run Grade I, II, III races at a mile and a quarter every week. It was than pointed out that it does not happen, so than you insist that a race can be written to fit the criteria. It was than pointed out that it can't be graded. Now you are trying to point out that it is just a mile and a quarter, which invalidates you original claim of Grade I, II, III races.

If you can't comprehend your own statements, how the heck is anyone else supposed to?