PDA

View Full Version : Travers

46zilzal
08-19-2009, 11:00 AM
First held in 1864, it was named for William R. Travers, the president of the old Saratoga Racing Association. His horse, Kentucky, won the first running of the Travers. A great race and the oldest one continuously run in the U.S.

Notable names abound in this one: Roamer, Broomstick, Rock View, Omar Khayyam, Man O'War (who, in beating Upset, reversed their placings from the previous year's Sanford Stakes), Jim Dandy, Twenty Grand, Whirlaway, Native Dancer, Runaway Groom, Buckpasser, Gallant man, Sword Dancer, Damascus, Arts and Letters, Wajima, Honest Pleasure, Alydar over Affirmed (the odd time they were reversed), Chief's Crown, Forty Niner, Easy Goer, Thunder Gulch, Unbridled, Sea Hero, Lemon Drop Kid, Medaglia d'Oro, Holy Bull, Point Given and many others have competed in this big one.

Many hold that it should, rightly be, the FOURTH installment of the Triple Crown as it takes those three months from the original Triple Crown for many of these good three year olds to mature enough to see their best this late day in August.

This year is no exception in having some of the best and fastest three year olds in the country coming together at the same distance as the Kentucky Derby to duke it out at this historic race course.

I invite all who want to come forward with their own analysis so we can see how each views this historic race.

Java Gold@TFT
08-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Alydar did not finish in front of Affirmed. He was put up on a DQ. A tragic decision by Pincay cost us a great race as Cauthen wasn't available for the mount. Ironically it was the 2nd time in two years that happened. In 1977 Jatski was put up when RunDustyRun drifted out all the way down the stretch while Jatski tried to get by. Unfortunately Slew wasn't in that race as his connections decided to be moneygrubbing morons and race him at Hollywood a month after the Belmont. Too bad but that's another thread.

Great race almost every year.The strongest field I have ever seen was when my PA namesake Java Gold beat Alysheba, Bet Twice, Polish navy, Gulch and Cryptoclearence on a sloppy track. The other one was the last time the seperate TC winners faced off with Runaway Groom defeating Gato Del Sol, Aloma's Ruler and Conquistador Cielo.

Looks to be another good edition even if Rachel doesn't go. The winners of the Fla Derby, KY Derby, Belmont and Jim Dandy are all set to go.

Nominations: http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorsemenAreaDownloadAction.cfm?sn=SNPP-SAR-20090829-486852

sandpit
08-19-2009, 03:34 PM
First held in 1864, it was named for William R. Travers, the president of the old Saratoga Racing Association. His horse, Kentucky, won the first running of the Travers. A great race and the oldest one continuously run in the U.S.

I invite all who want to come forward with their own analysis so we can see how each views this historic race.

I believe the Kentucky Derby, Oaks, and Clark Handicap are the oldest continuous run races in the United States. All three have been held annually since 1875. The Travers was not held on several occasions in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I think the anti-gambling establishment shut down racing in NY for a while, but I'm not sure about that. Apparently, whatever caused it did not effect KY.
I believe the Phoenix Stakes at Keeneland, having first been run in 1831, is the oldest stakes in the U.S., but it has had its share of missed years as well.

bisket
08-19-2009, 04:52 PM
i'm gonna have a tough time handicapping this race. i don't know what to do with quality road. i would normally pass on a horse coming into a 1 1/4 mile race off a 6 1/2 fur prep, but this horse is talented. its gonna be a tough decision if rachel shows up. if she doesn't i'm gonna bet quality no doubt.

46zilzal
08-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Whether the distance can be accomplished or not will soon be answered, but Quality Road is the most dramatic speedy three year old I have witnessed in some time

point given
08-19-2009, 07:05 PM
wasn't Elusive Quality a miler ? Where does QR get his stamina from , forget the dam right now. :confused:

bisket
08-19-2009, 07:11 PM
strawberry road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is his dams daddy. i loved quality's pedigree from first time i saw it

bisket
08-19-2009, 07:15 PM
myself i don't like when they cross a sprinter with stamina. but when you get a legitimate miler with speed and stamina thats the cross that'll give you a good chance for champ at the classics.

Cat Thief
08-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Indeed Strawberry Road and he had a good daughter named Strawberry Morn who raced in Canada and won lots of stake races. I think Quality Road should be able to make it, all depends on the pressure

bisket
08-19-2009, 07:33 PM
i look at pedigree's rather closely throughout january and february for all the three year olds. theres always a runner that has strawberry road somewhere in his pedigree thats pointing towards the derby. i like to see him in a horses pedigree. its a plus.

Gorgeous George
08-20-2009, 06:28 AM
What date is the Travers scheduled for?

Bobzilla
08-20-2009, 06:32 AM
What date is the Travers scheduled for?

Saturday August 29th.

Java Gold@TFT
08-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Saturday August 29th.
A more competitive race that day may be the King's Bishop. Big Drama, Munnings and Mr Candyman Can are all nominated (but so are Quality Road and Kensei who will be racing later on the card.) Mr. Candyman Can just also broke the track record at the Spa while finishing 2nd to Quality Road. Munnings has already beaten older sprinters at 7F in a G-II. Big Drama is a proven sprinter who just finished ahead of MTB in the WV Derby. Too bad that Baffert isn't running much at Saratoga this year. It would have been great to see Zensational come East for this race.

The Travers will be a one horse race for the win spot if Rachel doesn't show up. Everyone else will be running for 2nd or 3rd.

Gorgeous George
08-20-2009, 08:04 AM
When are last declarations for the race? And what is the chances Rachel turns up?

Bobzilla
08-20-2009, 08:54 AM
When are last declarations for the race? And what is the chances Rachel turns up?

To the best of my knowledge a decision has yet to be made in regard to RA's next appearance. I know she has been nominated to The Personal Ensign, The Woodward and the Pennsylvania Derby as well The Travers. Her stablemate Kensei has also been nominated for The Travers and I would say it's a certainty that they won't be in the same event, in fact I believe the connections have stated as much. Post positions will be drawn, I believe, on Wednesday the 26th. I'm sure we'll have a better idea before than, however, as to the plans for all possible starters and the most likely field composition.

depalma113
08-20-2009, 09:26 AM
A more competitive race that day may be the King's Bishop. Big Drama, Munnings and Mr Candyman Can are all nominated (but so are Quality Road and Kensei who will be racing later on the card.) Mr. Candyman Can just also broke the track record at the Spa while finishing 2nd to Quality Road. Munnings has already beaten older sprinters at 7F in a G-II. Big Drama is a proven sprinter who just finished ahead of MTB in the WV Derby. Too bad that Baffert isn't running much at Saratoga this year. It would have been great to see Zensational come East for this race.

The Travers will be a one horse race for the win spot if Rachel doesn't show up. Everyone else will be running for 2nd or 3rd.

That's if you believe that garbage time NYRA left up for the Amsterdam.

Java Gold@TFT
08-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Rachel's plans will be announced either next Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning after she has her last workout on Monday no matter where she goes next. As Bobzilla said, entries in NY are drawn 72 hours in advance so the Saturday card would be drawn on Wednesday. For the Travers it's usually a big production in the paddock and someplace like TVG will probably show it. I think they did for the Whitney. If Rachel isn't enterred in the Travers you will have to look at entries for Sunday that will be drawn on Thursday. Sunday is the Personal Ensign which she has also been nominated to. Either way, Jackson and Asmussen have said they will announce their intent on Tuesday. If she ends up in the Woodward those entries won't be drawn until 3 days before that race.

Gorgeous George
08-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Rachel's plans will be announced either next Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning after she has her last workout on Monday no matter where she goes next. As Bobzilla said, entries in NY are drawn 72 hours in advance so the Saturday card would be drawn on Wednesday. For the Travers it's usually a big production in the paddock and someplace like TVG will probably show it. I think they did for the Whitney. If Rachel isn't enterred in the Travers you will have to look at entries for Sunday that will be drawn on Thursday. Sunday is the Personal Ensign which she has also been nominated to. Either way, Jackson and Asmussen have said they will announce their intent on Tuesday. If she ends up in the Woodward those entries won't be drawn until 3 days before that race.

Thanks for the info:ThmbUp:

bisket
08-20-2009, 07:21 PM

if drama brings his a game the others are running for second. he ran the best sprint race i've watched this year when he was disqualified from that race with this ones for phil. well except for quality roads last race