PDA

View Full Version : Save money for tomorrow

cees with dees
08-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Whirling Thunder is the lock of the century in the 6th at Saratoga.
Was competing against tons tougher earlier this year at Gulfstream with tough wide trips and living to tell about it.
Draws the hedge today in a field aside from Magnificent Max that doesn't go forward.
8-5 would be a gift on this one and we just may get it.
In the 3rd, Esperanza d'Oro gets back to fast dirt after grueling trip on yielding turf.
Filly has fine speed but can go either way.
In the 7th, Camptown Blues comes up to this beautifully. Likes the turf and draws the hedge for the stretchout. Horse to beat is Most Happy Fella but has to overcome wide draw and surface switch.
In the 9th, D'Funnybone gets a huge barn change and has run well in both starts. Meets a tough field here so hoping the trainer change is enough.
In the last, the second best bet of the day, Beso Del Sur gets the trainer change of a lifetime. Appears to be a slow plodder but don't be surprised to see some newly found speed from this one as Linda has had some time to work with her and already matches up to these quite well classwise.
Good luck,
Ben

judd
08-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Was competing against tons tougher earlier this year at Gulfstream with tough wide trips and living to tell about it.
Draws the hedge today in a field aside from Magnificent Max that doesn't go forward.
In the 3rd, Esperanza d'Oro gets back to fast dirt after grueling trip on yielding turf.
In the 7th, Camptown Blues comes up to this beautifully. Likes the turf and draws the hedge for the stretchout. Horse to beat is Most Happy Fella but has to overcome wide draw and surface switch.
In the 9th, D'Funnybone gets a huge barn change and has run well in both starts. Meets a tough field here so hoping the trainer change is enough.
In the last, the second best bet of the day, Beso Del Sur gets the trainer change of a lifetime. Appears to be a slow plodder but don't be surprised to see some newly found speed from this one as Linda has had some time to work with her and already matches up to these quite well classwise.
Good luck,
Ben
good luck but is no such thing in horse racing--lock !!

njcurveball
08-20-2009, 12:21 AM

I applaud your bravado, but cannot embrace a maiden who has lost 9 times already as a "lock". Even if they are shipping from Saratoga to Charles Town, they have learned to lose now.

Obvious 2nd choice in this field, so you should get around 3-1. Most cuirous the jocks on the two favorites flip flop mounts. That tells me Leparoux went with Magnificent Max, which is not a positive sign for Whirling Thunder.

I hope you get this one home, but I wouldn't bet the rent money. Especially with Kenneally who is 2 for 25 at Saratoga. Not a negative at 8-1+, but definitely a hard pill to swallow at 3-1 or less.

Jim

cmoore
08-20-2009, 01:32 AM
Good luck with Whirling Thunder..But how can you justify a bet at 8/5 on a 0 for 9 maiden claimer? We define VALUE totally different..Not that there's anything wrong with that...:D

If I had a gun put to my head and was told to bet the race. I would bet the
:9: Chromospere to win and an exacta wheel box :9: / :1::2:..This nine is the other Smart Strike runner. He woke up in last on the turf. I know, it was against much weaker company..But with another improvement 3rd time on the turf could be his best..And that just might be good enough.

cees with dees
08-20-2009, 08:38 AM
The 0 for 9 doesn't bother me because none of them were maiden claimers and he's been wide and finishing close to good horses.
The drop doesn't bother me either because this is a homebred and they just want to get a win under their belt.
And again about the 0 for 9 record, only 6 starts were on turf and of those, only three were on firm turf and if you look at those lines, this horse towers over this field.
I really think barring something stupid, this horse is going to win by a pole.
I hope others have a problem with his record because I would love to get $5 and change on this one but will be betting all of the pick 3's involving the 6th race so unless he goes off at 3-2 or better, the win price won't effect me but this is a legitimate 4-5 shot as far as I'm concerned.
Ben

JBmadera
08-20-2009, 10:02 AM
assuming this one stays on the T I'm going to go with the :4: , wire to wire prospect if he's quicker than your :1: and will box with the :2: .

GL to everyone today.

jb

cees with dees
08-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Good luck with Whirling Thunder..But how can you justify a bet at 8/5 on a 0 for 9 maiden claimer? We define VALUE totally different..Not that there's anything wrong with that...:D

If I had a gun put to my head and was told to bet the race. I would bet the
:9: Chromospere to win and an exacta wheel box :9: / :1::2:..This nine is the other Smart Strike runner. He woke up in last on the turf. I know, it was against much weaker company..But with another improvement 3rd time on the turf could be his best..And that just might be good enough.

I guess we look at things quite differently.
From what I've seen of these two horses, Chromosphere would have to improve leaps and bounds just to get within shouting distance of the 1.
Not only is he a by far inferior horse, but he gives up a huge position advantage.
Hard to take anyone seriously that could make a case for a horse like this.
Ben

cees with dees
08-20-2009, 10:07 AM
I applaud your bravado, but cannot embrace a maiden who has lost 9 times already as a "lock". Even if they are shipping from Saratoga to Charles Town, they have learned to lose now.

Obvious 2nd choice in this field, so you should get around 3-1. Most cuirous the jocks on the two favorites flip flop mounts. That tells me Leparoux went with Magnificent Max, which is not a positive sign for Whirling Thunder.

I hope you get this one home, but I wouldn't bet the rent money. Especially with Kenneally who is 2 for 25 at Saratoga. Not a negative at 8-1+, but definitely a hard pill to swallow at 3-1 or less.

Jim

Jim, I couldn't disagree with you more but I guess that's what makes this game as great as it is and also why I may get a halfway decent price on this horse.
Second choice??? To whom?? Magnificent Max?? If Whirling Thunder isn't the favorite here, the "public" should be embarrassed.
Ben

JBmadera
08-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Good luck,
Ben

and he won like a LOCK - very nice call!

jb

cees with dees
08-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Thank you. It's nice to be right once in awhile.
Ben

cmoore
08-20-2009, 04:31 PM
I guess we look at things quite differently.
From what I've seen of these two horses, Chromosphere would have to improve leaps and bounds just to get within shouting distance of the 1.
Not only is he a by far inferior horse, but he gives up a huge position advantage.
Hard to take anyone seriously that could make a case for a horse like this.
Ben

Congrats on the easy win by Whirling Thunder!!!
I make cases for top turf breeding and other pedigree angles all the time.. Often these runners improve leaps and bounds before the public pounds them down..I try to stay away from flat betting any horse under 7/2.

Bison
08-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Yes, well done, I knew you were right. :)

PaceAdvantage
08-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Nice!

njcurveball
08-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Jim, I couldn't disagree with you more but I guess that's what makes this game as great as it is and also why I may get a halfway decent price on this horse.
Second choice??? To whom?? Magnificent Max?? If Whirling Thunder isn't the favorite here, the "public" should be embarrassed.
Ben

You were spot on with your call. I applaud you! :ThmbUp:

Hope you bet a bundle! 2-1 on the lock of the year was a great price for you! :ThmbUp:

cees with dees
08-21-2009, 03:26 PM
But with the last race coming off the turf, Titletown Tiger is an absolute cinch.
There isn't a single horse in the field that goes forward on dirt and to add insult to injury, the race gets cut back to 7F and he gets the best draw.
I'll sign for even money right now.
Ben