PDA

View Full Version : Turf courses

so.cal.fan
05-18-2003, 09:56 PM
For the past 40 years we have noticed that horses from Epsom England usually do quite well on the Santa Anita downhill turf course.......
Horses that do well at Fairplex Park (dirt) usually do well on the Hollywood Turf course, especially the sprints.
I'm quite certain there are many tracks that favor certain types of action (stride)........and we know some horses do well only on those types of tracks.
Has anyone ever done a study to connect the dots on connections between different courses?

Tom
05-18-2003, 10:35 PM
A good race over the CD turf is a good thing-no matter how far back and no matter how bad recent races look, provided they are over over turf courses. No formal study, but observation since a boxcar breeders cup race a few years ago.
Side note - Sar and Bel sloppy tracks are not the same animal.
An angle I've hit on before is throwing out horses that raced well in Bel slop trying to run in SAR slop and vice versa.

Fastracehorse
05-19-2003, 12:51 AM
I'm in the midst of a study and I will share this with you:

Euro or S. American import - first-time N.A. - first-time tag - first-time Lasix.

fffastt

hurrikane
05-19-2003, 07:49 AM
so cal,
not sure I can check this or there will be enough data to really mean much.
what is the track code for Epsom?

My experience has been more with trainers and imports (go figure). Track style could be a plus.

so.cal.fan
05-19-2003, 10:38 AM
Hurrikane:
Not sure what the track code is for Epsom.......anybody know?
My husband used to work horses on that track (Epsom) many years ago, and he noticed the connection right away with the SA downhill course, as soon as they started to import a lot of horses from Europe.
I'm positive there are connections between many different race courses, turf and dirt.........they just aren't widely recognized.
Problem is that the courses often change......they change the soil composition or the grass itself.
The connection that sticks in my mind is that certain breeds, either the sire or the dam or both......seem to do much better at certain types of tracks than others.......
Especially dams........if you find a dam that was a first time starter winner or a turf winner at a specific track.........her offspring are HIGHLY likely to do the same.
It's an interesting angle........and not much research has been done (or published) on it.

BillW
05-19-2003, 11:46 AM
Bris has it as EPS. I think these are standard DRF designators, but not sure.

http://www.bris.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=tracklist

Bill

lousycapper
05-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by BillW
Bris has it as EPS. I think these are standard DRF designators, but not sure.

http://www.bris.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=tracklist

Bill

============================

Yes, EPS is correct...

-L.C.

Fastracehorse
05-20-2003, 12:17 AM
IMHO,

This is the keyyyyyyyyyy factor for good perfromances from these imports - and others.

And your husband is probably right, that there is a connection between 61/2 f turf races at SA and Epsom however, these imports run good at any distance - but yes, you are right, at 61/2 panels too.

fffastt

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

ceejay
05-20-2003, 11:29 AM
You can find lots in info on UK tracks at www.racingpost.co.uk. They have course maps which are interesting. For example, Saturday's Newmarket card has an uphill 10f straight run to the finish.

so.cal.fan
05-20-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks, Bill and CJ
Useful links here.