PDA

View Full Version : Slot money “at work” at Charles Town

takeout
08-19-2009, 05:36 AM
Four 100K races and one 250K on CT’s card last Saturday. Longest win payoff, $4.40.

Asmussen ships in 3, wins with all of them, in consecutive races, including the biggie.

Did I mention the LONGEST win payoff was $4.40? :rolleyes:

If this is what its coming to, I’m out.

Meanwhile, many things there as far as the player is concerned remain sub-par, and that’s putting it mildly.

$830K in purses at a bullring and players are still fighting insane takeouts and breakage. :bang:

That’s just sick. :mad:

lamboguy
08-19-2009, 06:59 AM
when steve asmussen wakes up every morning he figures out how he is going to shine on a saturday. he see's a charlestown stakes book and know's exactly what kind of horse he needs to win the races. he calls his van driver from KD transport which he happens to own, and ships the horses over to win the races.
not taking anything away from steve, he works hard and certainly deserves to win these races. the man is head and heels above anyone else in the game. he runs as good an operation as there is to run in the racing game, having a photographic memory doesn't hurt either. its not his fault that he wins the races, its just the way the game is structured, he has figured out how to compete at it like no other before him.

top heavy purse structure have been hurting this game for quite awhile now. the horses at the top are no more important to the racing industry than the horses at the bottom. i have said this before and i am going to repeat myself, the 2 major components of the games are the bettors and the owners, and neither has any chance to win at the game. until you adress this, steve asmussen and a few others will continue to win more and more races because they have no real competion.

Tampa Russ
08-19-2009, 08:44 AM
I enjoyed the show at CT on Saturday. Without slots, CT doesn't exist, some would say that would be a good thing. Is the top-heavy purse structure unfair in ways? I guess. However, I had more fun watching stakes races at CT Saturday than I would have watching 5k Claimers run for 20k. On the other hand, I'd most likely rather wager on the claiming race from a value standpoint.

The bettors and the owners are both up against it. However, were things really any better in the past? Did owners have a better shot 20-30 years ago? How about the players? Personal experience on the betting side tells me that I love the abundance of opportunities I have these days. I also feel that those opportunities are going to be reduced substantially in the next few years as the owners get squeezed even more.

castaway01
08-19-2009, 08:54 AM
So if longshots won and the average winner paid $40 you'd be happy, but because Asmussen won with favorites "you're out"? Wow, lots of common sense shown there. I don't think racing will miss you if you're that melodramatic over one day's results.

turfnsport
08-19-2009, 09:26 AM
not taking anything away from steve, he works hard and certainly deserves to win these races. the man is head and heels above anyone else in the game. he runs as good an operation as there is to run in the racing game, having a photographic memory doesn't hurt either. its not his fault that he wins the races, its just the way the game is structured, he has figured out how to compete at it like no other before him.

I don't know about "head and heel above anyone else"
He's neck and neck with Dutrow on RCI violations
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/rci-rulings-asmussen-nips-dutrow-74-to-72/

post time
08-19-2009, 09:42 AM
How many horses do u think steve runs that he has never seen .Just sends the vet over to take care of business"$$$$$$

lamboguy
08-19-2009, 09:43 AM
I don't know about "head and heel above anyone else"
He's neck and neck with Dutrow on RCI violations
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/rci-rulings-asmussen-nips-dutrow-74-to-72/most of steve's infractions are for either being late to the paddock, improper shoeing, hiring an illegal groom. the man runs over 600 horses throughout the country. people with less amount of horses have the same violations, just not as many as steve.

there are alot of people jealous of steve out there for being a success, so he gets looked at more frequently. to me he is poetry in motion.

turfnsport
08-19-2009, 09:46 AM
there are alot of people jealous of steve out there for being a success, so he gets looked at more frequently. to me he is poetry in motion.

To be honest, I am a little jealous about his upcoming six month "vacation"

Java Gold@TFT
08-19-2009, 10:13 AM
I hear he is planning a vacation in Europe around 2015 when his appeal process runs dry. Until then it's business as usual.

kenwoodallpromos
08-19-2009, 10:51 AM
When a track like CT in a "state-foaled" (state-bred) state like WV, with 250K or even 100k purse, how does anyone figure the draw should be WV colts or fillies? I want to know why more supertrainers' horses were not shipped there? Were those races weird enough distance to give longshots a chance? How fast was the track groomed?

speed
08-19-2009, 11:06 AM

I like the guy but this is PRICELESS

proximity
08-19-2009, 11:25 AM
$830K in purses at a bullring......

did they retrieve most of that from a quarter "munsters" slot per chance??:(

hopefully mr asmussen will make better use of the money than i did. maybe pick up a box of "just for men" on his next trip to the pharmacy......

Hanover1
08-19-2009, 11:44 AM
:lol: This is a tough pill to swallow. He is doing nothin more than playing a shell game with you folks. With a ton of horses, and capable assistants parked all over america with 40-50 head apiece, its an easy game to play, and he still resorts to using what most others use to get/keep and edge. Poetry?? Lucas cornered the market on this type of horseracing and stable management long before Stevie Wonderboy came along-we are seeing nothing new here-Pletcher plays same game as well, just having an off year by his standards...lol

takeout
08-19-2009, 04:47 PM
did they retrieve most of that from a quarter "munsters" slot per chance??:( Might have. :D It sure didn’t come from on-track handle.

Charles Town Attendance: 4,851 Mutuel Pool: $177,933